Author Topic: new balance enters skate shoe arena  (Read 136384 times)

A.J.K.

Re: new balance enters skate shoe arena
« Reply #240 on: December 14, 2012, 06:55:55 AM »
Already know that an unaffiliated Black Box skater and New England native is their first rider.

Im interested to see what New Balance brings to the table...

Its sort of weird, im from New England and have worn New Balance my entire life. I have always thought the company and shoes are awesome. I think id be more into it if NB was making their own skate shoes and being distributed through Black Box rather than Black Box making the shoes... New Balance technology is pretty unique and if you every talk to any podiatrist they will always recommend NB.  Whatever... Bottom line is im very curious about the whole thing.

Yeah, PJ Ladd.

Also, they'll be using their own factory.  Black Box isn't making them.

ZEBRA

« Reply #241 on: December 14, 2012, 08:59:28 AM »

Yeah, PJ Ladd.

Also, they'll be using their own factory.  Black Box isn't making them.

Read the press statement again.

"Branded as New Balance Numeric? or NB#? Black Box will produce and market performance footwear and apparel for skateboarding."

sfa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #242 on: December 14, 2012, 04:55:03 PM »
I know some one who's working on the project.

some shoes will be made in the US and at NB.

I dont' think it will be in the first line up though.
I need a coffee

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #243 on: December 14, 2012, 10:04:04 PM »
This is slap...so let's start filling in this team....

I say mcrank....

A.J.K.

« Reply #244 on: December 14, 2012, 10:06:13 PM »
This is slap...so let's start filling in this team....

I say mcrank....
Let's hope so.  With Rattray involved I wouldn't say it's unlikely.

StFlour

« Reply #245 on: December 14, 2012, 11:09:24 PM »

asakusa75

« Reply #246 on: December 15, 2012, 12:34:35 AM »
I don't give two fucks about this either way. What I do hope though, is that whoever they put on gets paid a bunch of that sneaker money before it flops. Thats all.

OlDirtyB

• Rep: 3
« Reply #247 on: December 15, 2012, 03:54:03 AM »
You know what? I don't want skateboarding to get taken over by big corporations, but I honestly don't really care all that much. Why? Because our favorite pros were the ones who drove the stake into the heart of skateboarding. You see, back in the 90's the skate industry was united in resisting these outside companies from infiltrating our pure sport. Nike and all the others tried and failed. Integrity was high in the skate world and the 90's remain arguably the most pure and amazing era for skateboarding. Skip ahead to the 2000's and one by one skateboarders started crossing the line. More than anyone else, I blame Koston. Dude has probably more respect than anyone in the industry and he was one of the first big names to do it. After that, the flood gates broke. But it's all good! I'm in my mid 30's and have enjoyed a pure version of it for a long time. I feel bad for the newer generations, though. But I'm fine with it because I know it was a suicide and not a murder.

But yeah, and the kids that by it. But what about Prod? Stevie for going from DC? you know that was about money. And Gino has always been in Nikes. Its hopeless. I want my 90's. When every big outside comp. tryed, but failed. And we loved it. To bad, that the kids today starts skating becouse of the money and fame they think they can get. Its to bad. Not skating for themselfs or that its something else. but.. yeah.. cant even talk about it no more..

hope Black Box know what they are doing. Really. We dont wanna sellout anymore. Lets just be us; skateboarding. And not every other bigass sportscorp.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 04:11:51 AM by OlDirtyB »
Bitch Please

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #248 on: December 15, 2012, 09:04:30 AM »

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 555
« Reply #249 on: December 15, 2012, 09:39:53 AM »
vertical freestyle  :o

johnnymousedoom

• Rep: -21
  • skateBOARd
« Reply #250 on: December 15, 2012, 10:45:50 AM »
I may try to skate some if they make some vegan friendly shoes. I owned a pair of nb shoes and they are the most comfortable thing i ever wore on my feet.
I skateboard, fuck da poleeeeece

bust.factor

• Rep: 20
  • Madvillain Bistro Bed and Breakfast Bar and Grill
« Reply #251 on: December 15, 2012, 11:06:39 AM »
Expand Quote
You know what? I don't want skateboarding to get taken over by big corporations, but I honestly don't really care all that much. Why? Because our favorite pros were the ones who drove the stake into the heart of skateboarding. You see, back in the 90's the skate industry was united in resisting these outside companies from infiltrating our pure sport. Nike and all the others tried and failed. Integrity was high in the skate world and the 90's remain arguably the most pure and amazing era for skateboarding. Skip ahead to the 2000's and one by one skateboarders started crossing the line. More than anyone else, I blame Koston. Dude has probably more respect than anyone in the industry and he was one of the first big names to do it. After that, the flood gates broke. But it's all good! I'm in my mid 30's and have enjoyed a pure version of it for a long time. I feel bad for the newer generations, though. But I'm fine with it because I know it was a suicide and not a murder.
[close]

I don't agree with everything you said, but I definitely get where you're coming from, and agree. While it's ultimately on the consumer to support or reject companies, the floods of pros endorsing the products and making them OK for the consumer to purchase has been the catalyst to the downfall. Before Nike's huge campaign to break into skateboarding for a second (or third?) time, you would have been the biggest kook ever if you showed up to the spot wearing some Air Forces. Chet Childress seemed like the dude who make it OK to wear Nikes for  a lot of people, as beforehand he was a "support your local skateshop" guy. Once he said it was OK, there was the big outbreak of people who never, ever would have bought Nike who started rocking dunks. If the original team hadn't been the dudes they were, Nike would have been shunned by skateboarding again. Instead, skateboarding got Trojan horsed. Everyones favorite guys said "BUY NIKE", and everyone listened. It became an open market for huge corporations to infiltrate, which they did. Now we have New Balance SB.

Arguments about upping the quality of skate goods (specifically shoes) are sound, and the fact that skater owned companies are being held to a higher standard is a good thing. It just sucks the reason they're actually stepping up their game is in a last ditch effort to keep skateboarding owned by skateboarders, not because they wanted to make quality shoes for skateboarders in the first place.

The whole situation is a pretty big catch-22.

Chet Childress and whoever's favorite skater riding for nike definitely does send that message, can't argue with that, but maybe it's important for people to see the distinction between them saying it's okay to just go out and buy a pair of nikes cause I'm wearing them and it's okay for me to wear nike because they're paying me a lot of fucking money to do so. Obviously they publicly could never say the latter at risk of getting kicked off pretty quickly.

I don't know, maybe my point isn't clear and I'm wrong.

xenu

« Reply #252 on: December 15, 2012, 11:21:23 AM »
the New Balance skate program is being run by the guy that ran Es for the last 5 years until it had its plug pulled.
And with Jamie Thomas running marketing, how can it fail?!

aTribeCalledIncest

• Rep: 0
« Reply #253 on: December 15, 2012, 04:20:11 PM »
PJ Ladd wearing shoes with an N on prod's instagram

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #254 on: December 15, 2012, 05:19:08 PM »
the New Balance skate program is being run by the guy that ran Es for the last 5 years until it had its plug pulled.
And with Jamie Thomas running marketing, how can it fail?!

You're kidding right?  Right now any skate shoe company can fail....don't think that Adidas and Nike wouldn't pull the plug on their skate programs.....no one is safe.....

AssBandit

• Rep: 60
  • trip ouuuuttt brooooo...
« Reply #255 on: December 15, 2012, 05:26:29 PM »
Real skaters don't have to support the brand.  Don't buy it and it won't get to Nike or Adidas levels.  If it's anything like what they did with RBK/DGK it'll fade after one season.  I'm highly doubtful that they're going to take the time to do R&D on rubbers and leathers to get a functional skate shoe.  It's just going to be another half skateable shoe from another Sports Authority brand. 

poowizard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #256 on: December 15, 2012, 05:40:50 PM »

Check out the feets!

AssBandit

• Rep: 60
  • trip ouuuuttt brooooo...
« Reply #257 on: December 15, 2012, 05:47:36 PM »

Check out the feets!
ok, i take it back.  I'M DOWN WITH NEW BALANCE IN SKATEBOARDING!

chris311x

« Reply #258 on: December 15, 2012, 05:56:07 PM »
I wouldn't mind having a comfy pair of cupsole skateable New Balances for my wide feet

ZEBRA

« Reply #259 on: December 15, 2012, 06:02:59 PM »
Real skaters don't have to support the brand.  Don't buy it and it won't get to Nike or Adidas levels.  If it's anything like what they did with RBK/DGK it'll fade after one season.  I'm highly doubtful that they're going to take the time to do R&D on rubbers and leathers to get a functional skate shoe.  It's just going to be another half skateable shoe from another Sports Authority brand. 

Blackbox is helping produce the shoes. They'll have a legit skate shoe.

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
« Reply #260 on: December 15, 2012, 06:44:32 PM »
From the looks of those shoes PJ is wearing, it's much more than a bruin/blazer that was posted earlier. Looks like a comfy cupsole too - Can't wait for the full drop.

sfa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #261 on: December 15, 2012, 06:44:41 PM »
Real skaters don't have to support the brand.� Don't buy it and it won't get to Nike or Adidas levels.� If it's anything like what they did with RBK/DGK it'll fade after one season.� I'm highly doubtful that they're going to take the time to do R&D on rubbers and leathers to get a functional skate shoe.� It's just going to be another half skateable shoe from another Sports Authority brand.�

actually it's quit the opposite. They are doing extensive testing on thing like impact, bio mechanics, and materials to try and make super functional shoes.

I need a coffee

Shufflessss

• Rep: 34
« Reply #262 on: December 15, 2012, 07:01:23 PM »
Word from Black box is saying that Jamie Thomas is considering selling Fallens at Walmart...
I don't rollerblade, I play ROLLER HOCKEY! I've been kicking haters like you to the curb forever

hekkahyphy

« Reply #263 on: December 15, 2012, 07:08:15 PM »
dam its gonna be kinda wierd when skater owned companies dont exist anymore

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #264 on: December 15, 2012, 07:12:51 PM »
why would pj give up the three stripe to take a chance on a new company that wont even come out until next summer

Colin Mann

• Rep: -2
« Reply #265 on: December 15, 2012, 08:48:18 PM »
why would pj give up the three stripe to take a chance on a new company that wont even come out until next summer

Boston.

zoltan

« Reply #266 on: December 15, 2012, 09:02:04 PM »
a skateable version of these

cletus the slack jawed yokel

• Rep: 7
  • big money big cars!
« Reply #267 on: December 15, 2012, 09:35:02 PM »
this shit needs to be named just numeric or numeric by NB some shit like dat but fuck pj on dat shit it's a smooth move

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #268 on: December 15, 2012, 09:46:53 PM »
No, they need to drop the lame numeric hash tag thing and just call it New Balance.  The name has been around long enough and stands on it's own.

So... once the inevitable happens... will PJ be the world's best bald skater?

TheHoard

« Reply #269 on: December 15, 2012, 10:41:53 PM »
I'm curious what they're going to look like, how well they skate, and who do I know that works there that would be down to send me a few pair to try out?