Author Topic: Pads?  (Read 3036 times)

wisdom teeth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 10
Pads?
« on: December 15, 2012, 08:25:37 AM »
Might be asking the wrong group of dudes... but my knees are fucked. 

Been skating something like 14 years and I'm starting to skate parks more than anything these days.  That being the case, I'm looking to start wearing some knee pads; I'm no bad ass and the knees just aren't holding up. 

I don't really give a fuck if they're not cool or whatever.

I tried on some pro tec and triple 8 pads at the local shop, but they feel really restrictive, like I can hardly bend my knees in them.  So SLAP, anyone know anything about good knee pads?  Don't really care about the price as they will likely be a long term investment.

pandarelated

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
Re: Pads?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 10:13:07 AM »
do you want knee pads? or a knee brace? it sounds like you want a brace.. either way yes they both restrict your movement. witch is why its harder to get hurnt with one. shit is prone to not bend in weird ways. when my knee hurnts i just use a knee brace / gasket thing i got at my local wal-greens affilate. (ie duane reade). if you do indeed want PADs.. google what lance mountain wears. if they are good enough for him they are good enough for everybody.

shred420

• Rep: -25
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 10:27:02 AM »
all pads are gonna feel restrictive, its just something your gonna have to get used to. I would recommend 187 pads tho, these are much nicer than the protec ones

Shufflessss

• Rep: 34
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 07:31:45 PM »
I don't rollerblade, I play ROLLER HOCKEY! I've been kicking haters like you to the curb forever

the tranny monster

• Rep: -22
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 08:13:16 PM »
I've got a pair of pro tecs that are nice for when it's time to hit up the vert ramp I've heard good things about 187 too most of the vert pro's wear them. As for the tightness just put on the straps backwards because you don't need em anyway they should break in nice after a while and I'm pretty sure they come in bigger sizes if they just don't fit.

buttpirate

• Rep: 32
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 02:41:10 AM »
I recently bought pads to learn how to skate bowls, and it was pretty different trying to skate with them on.

They're pretty bulky and restrictive, and you won't be able to stand up properly.  Also you're skating will have to change to get the whole benefit of protection that you bought them for - i.e. learning how to bail by going straight to knees, learning not to use your hands to break a fall.  The pads will give a little protection, but you will need to be flexible enough to do that "knee slide" thing (think touching your heels to the back of your thighs).  Someone mentioned a knee brace earlier, are you sure that's not what you are looking for?

At any I have a pair of the ProTec Drop In knee pads and elbow pads, they're a bit meh.  Protection wise they seem okay, but they don't stay in place very well. Have heard good things about the 187s. 

wisdom teeth

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 09:07:17 AM »
Thanks for the input, I may check out a pair of 187's.  The pads I tried on were both really basic I think, in the $25 range, was just wondering about better models.

I get that they're gonna be restrictive, I was just wondering which pads were gonna be the least restrictive, or wanted to see if anyone had a certain pad they swear by.

geezer

• Rep: 37
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 08:43:31 AM »
The 187 pads are great, if you're in to that sort of thing.  Well worth the extra money to buy good pads, your knees will thank you later.

wisdom teeth

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 07:55:30 PM »
The 187 pads are great, if you're in to that sort of thing.  Well worth the extra money to buy good pads, your knees will thank you later.
Haha I will certainly take pad advice from a dude called geezer.

BRIX SKWIKZ

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 09:05:03 PM »
FILL YOUR CLOTHES WITH PLASTIC BAGS

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 08:02:07 PM »
anywhere to get the old style pads with the two velcro straps and the smaller plastic cap with the "ripples" on it compared to the protecs i got?? (down for a trade?? i just need elbows)

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1473
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2013, 08:34:57 PM »
I have 187 knees, elbows, and wrist guards.  They're the best pads I've skated in as far as mobility and padding/protection.  The recaps on the knees are replaceable so that's a plus.

If you're getting a helmet, get a certified helmet that has been crash rated.  I've fallen straight to my dome before and the right helmet made all the difference.

dask8d00d

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2013, 09:16:18 PM »
Sounds like you're looking for something more along the lines of a brace. no matter what you get they're gonna restrict your movement a little but after a while it becomes normal and you don't even think about it. also id suggest taking glucosimin (sp?) pills as they help with bad joints n shit like that. I've messed up my knees a few times and just started taking those daily and it helped me out a lot.

Any fellow shinguard users up in here? Best decision I've made skating in a long time the peace of mind just makes you less hesitant with everything plus you pretty much never have to deal with shinners or ankle bites. There've been a couple of times where other people shoot out and their board flies right into my leg and all i feel is a little bump. moments like those just make you love those shits.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2013, 10:55:41 PM »
Go with Boneless or TSG. They're expensive brand name pads but chances are you can find them at your local shop, and they deliver.

JBones

• Rep: -88
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2013, 02:16:33 AM »
When I started skating again after 11 years off I never ever wore pads before. I always hated pads.
First trip to a slippery indoor park and I wheel slipped out in a dusty bowl and broke my knee.
My back, knees and legs were already pretty tweaked, but that did me in.
All I wanted to do was skate, no matter what. So I saved up and bought 187's and fought through it and came back a month later.
It honestly took a few months to get used to wearing pads as like I said I fought it forever.
Once you learn to kneeslide out of tranny tricks though and you get them stretched out and all that you notice them less and less being on your body. I actually forced myself a few weeks to really practice kneeslides. They don't come natural though. You do actually have to practice how, where and when to go to your knees. Then it becomes a reflex. I'd start down low on the tranny and go to my knees, and then I'd run all the way up the transition no matter how high and then go to my knees. Eventually I was jumping into the bowls to my knees doing kneeslides. You'll find the perfect balance of how to fall INTO them and not ON them (your knees). That'll just blow out yer back. Doing these regular routine for a little bit helped in ways that you'd think would be a waste of time, but I promise you they were not. They are needed things you gotta do to get used to finally wearing pads after never wearing pads.
Sometimes doing a kneeslide out of something is just as much a trick as the trick you were trying.

You might need some Shoe Goo at the toes of your shoes too as kneeslides burn shoe fronts and laces pretty easily. Like a little toe cap. You'll notice all the bowl & vert masters have destroyed shoes and gobs of Shoe Goo or tape up front for these reasons alone. They've been kneesliding for decades so they know what's up. You just sit back on your heels and slide! Get stitch and seemless 1 piece toe shoes for these reasons alone! (Cab gobs the crap outta all his Half Cabs because of this!)

When I skate street through the week I don't wear pads, but if I'm going to go skate a bowl or a ramp I always wear them. It's become a must. Ya just gotta do whatcha gotta do. Finishing a 4 hour bowl and ramp sesh and walking out smiling and skating to your car is alot better than hobbling out and having to cut yer sesh short so you can go home and crawl in the door.
My knees are still horrible, and that one knee never fully recovered, but fuck man I do whatever I have to do to be able to have my indoor park sesh every week. From the food I eat or don't eat all week to the wearing of kneepads while I skate.

I do stupid things and try things maybe I shouldn't w/ my age and my body's ailments, so I really do use my kneepads alot these days when I'm skating tranny. Some weeks I never bail and my pads never even got dropped to, but they were there. And then some weeks I do alot, and some weeks I slam and pads wouldn't have mattered anyways.
This week I hung up transferring over a spine and fell straight to the bottom onto my ribs and shoulder, in really bad shape right now. I think I cracked a few ribs. It sucks, but in all reality kneepads didn't matter because I never got a chance to go to my knees anyways. The worse part is all I want to do is skate. I was having a fun sesh and I just wanna go back and do it all over again. I'm fucked! So remember, kneepads, helmets, elbow pads, ass protectors and wrist guards and all that extra stuff will help keep you going, but sometimes you are just bound to get hurt regardless.

So yeah anyways, do yourself a favor and prolong your skating while you can. Get some 187's dude!
The way I look at it is, do whatever you have to do to be able to come back and skate next week, whatever it is!  
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 02:26:16 AM by JBones »

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 976
  • the moon rules
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2013, 04:56:02 AM »
I bought the 187's for $80. They suck to break in at first because they dig into your shins, but it's still better than falling straight to your knee. I think all pad companies have a sizing chart on their websites with instructions on how to measure which part  of your leg. You don't want to buy something too small that will be uncomfortable and useless, or something that will be too big and sliding off when you fall on them.

Moving around in them at first feels really weird and unnatural, but after a few sessions you get used to it. The bigger and bulkier they are, the better protection they offer. It seems like it's the only pad that a lot of big time vert skaters use. They seemed to have all switched from boneless, pro designed, and whatever else to 187 over the past few years.
fuck you bama

JBones

• Rep: -88
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2013, 12:23:22 PM »
I bought the 187's for $80. They suck to break in at first because they dig into your shins, but it's still better than falling straight to your knee. I think all pad companies have a sizing chart on their websites with instructions on how to measure which part  of your leg. You don't want to buy something too small that will be uncomfortable and useless, or something that will be too big and sliding off when you fall on them.

Moving around in them at first feels really weird and unnatural, but after a few sessions you get used to it. The bigger and bulkier they are, the better protection they offer. It seems like it's the only pad that a lot of big time vert skaters use. They seemed to have all switched from boneless, pro designed, and whatever else to 187 over the past few years.

All very true, truth.

Tom, are you getting my PM's dude? Gimme a shout.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 976
  • the moon rules
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2013, 02:59:44 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

All very true, truth.

Tom, are you getting my PM's dude? Gimme a shout.
i can't get PM's for some reason. I think I've been skating with you at edge on Wednesday nights though

I sent you a pm but I'm not sure if you'll get it or not
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 03:04:41 PM by tom »
fuck you bama