Author Topic: The Anthony Pappalardo Interview  (Read 107405 times)

stevedave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: The Anthony Pappalardo Interview
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2012, 03:40:39 PM »
I don't know man, that's a sad story and all but I have friends who are Anthony's age and younger who work full time jobs to to pay all their bills and skate and still put out video parts and get photos, gnarly ones at that. They've never made a dime from skateboarding and many of them have to pay for product. I understand that his situations is a little different but people have been talking about him slacking for a long time now, years even, he should've at that point taken it upon himself to either film and shoot photos and get coverage or just give up being a pro and get a job and skate for fun. He did build a great career and people love the guy that's a fact. Did Converse fuck him? Yeah it sounds like they did, especially by selling a shoe with his name on it and not paying him. But if he had his shit together other companies would be blowing up his phone with other offers...the fact is he's been slacking and I don't care if he had to work 40 or 50 hours a week, I do that and most of my friends do and they still have time to skate and film, its really a lame excuse. I really hope he doesn't blow his last opportunity with Chocolate. He could easily hit up Bill or Chocolate and go to LA and live at the warehouse and film a part. Get the fuck out of expensive ass NYC and start living within his means. He's so talented that I think he could actually put out a super legit part and not only get his pro board back but get another shoe sponsor, because he's a dude that's in demand for sure. I personally feel bad for the guy but also feel like he's throwing a pity party for himself and should fucking. I wish the dude the best, I love his skateboarding....but I can't help but feel like theres more to the story. Selling scrap metal is meth head central.....just saying.

Fuck this rant sucks but I don't feel like editing it, I just said what was on my mind ^^^

this is the way I feel about this situation.  and I still can't help but question the fact that somehow these guys have his name on a shoe, yet he is not getting paid for it at all.  and you may say lawyers are expensive but plenty of them will work if they get a % of what's awarded monetary-wise.  And there's plenty of product with his name on it to show that they definitely did use his name (unless they are going to claim all the conversations they had were with with the Vice writer of the same name)
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

DGKALIS

• Rep: 533
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2012, 03:53:38 PM »
I like Pops... well the "old" Pops.. Miss the kid, But that interview just doesn't do anything for me.

He skipped the whole part that really changed his career. It started with him moving from Philly to NY.
Before he quit Alien... thats the time when something with him happened.

The Chocolate.. Cons era was WAY passed his crucial point.

They should re interview him and ask what happened in the latter days at Alien when he decided to move to NY and disappear.

Being fairly close to him at least at a skate level in those days... for him to just roll out... quit Alien.. and pretend that some of us friends didn't exist when we saw him.. whether it was at Flushing.. or even in Barcelona where he just dipped out leaving all his stuff behind and said... "maybe i'll see you again.. maybe i won't" (we thought he was going to the store.. little did we know he flew back to the states)... I am still confused at what was happenening.

Mein Fuhrer! I can walk!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -152
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2012, 03:57:45 PM »
Reading that, everything just indicates an actual depression.

gutterhead.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -15
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2012, 04:05:13 PM »
"Don't expect a comeback, I never went anywhere. I won't leave you hanging."

This is all I care about.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 04:24:23 PM by gutterhead. »

life support

• Rep: 6
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2012, 04:08:00 PM »
I don't know man, that's a sad story and all but I have friends who are Anthony's age and younger who work full time jobs to to pay all their bills and skate and still put out video parts and get photos, gnarly ones at that. They've never made a dime from skateboarding and many of them have to pay for product. I understand that his situations is a little different but people have been talking about him slacking for a long time now, years even, he should've at that point taken it upon himself to either film and shoot photos and get coverage or just give up being a pro and get a job and skate for fun. He did build a great career and people love the guy that's a fact. Did Converse fuck him? Yeah it sounds like they did, especially by selling a shoe with his name on it and not paying him. But if he had his shit together other companies would be blowing up his phone with other offers...the fact is he's been slacking and I don't care if he had to work 40 or 50 hours a week, I do that and most of my friends do and they still have time to skate and film, its really a lame excuse. I really hope he doesn't blow his last opportunity with Chocolate. He could easily hit up Bill or Chocolate and go to LA and live at the warehouse and film a part. Get the fuck out of expensive ass NYC and start living within his means. He's so talented that I think he could actually put out a super legit part and not only get his pro board back but get another shoe sponsor, because he's a dude that's in demand for sure. I personally feel bad for the guy but also feel like he's throwing a pity party for himself and should fucking. I wish the dude the best, I love his skateboarding....but I can't help but feel like theres more to the story. Selling scrap metal is meth head central.....just saying.

Fuck this rant sucks but I don't feel like editing it, I just said what was on my mind ^^^

spot. on.
blah

Binomial Nomenclature

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2012, 04:10:24 PM »
I wasn't quite expecting that from Pops.

I couldn't help but wonder reading though - I've known a lot of sponsored skaters basically survive on selling product from their packages, how would collecting scrap metal be easier than just selling boards/clothes/shoes that get sent to you every month? I'm not saying it would be a fun life, but it's a pretty standard method in the skate world.

He was doing that; Pops posted a receipt from Buffalo Exchange for selling them heaps of his pro model cons shoe.

dick wolf

• Rep: -7
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2012, 04:11:50 PM »
Skateboarding doesn't owe him anything, but just because he made it where you or your friends wanted to make it doesn't mean he owes you anything...ie a full time job or more skateboarding just because you think you would do it if you were in his shoes.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2012, 04:16:09 PM »
Dude.

You're clearly very depressed. Go somewhere cheaper than New York for a year and film a part. Things will probably come back together. It's not like there's a job keeping you there. Find some way to get out of your own head and go skate.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2012, 04:24:10 PM »
I also believe he is a bit naive. Not contracts or whatever but they do want their riders to produce a bit more then what he did. I mean to say your Epicly Later'd is footage sounds kind of dumb. I am sure it just didn't justify what the company was paying him. Even though your shoe is a success, it doesn't mean you can just sit back and do nothing.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Magic Pizza

• Rep: 175
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2012, 04:26:54 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

spot. on.

Not really though. He is in a position where if he could put out a decent part he would be on some Guy comeback shit in his own right, but no one would give a shit if it was filmed in LA. Part of his legacy which has been validated and kept alive by his devoted fan base is based on the same type of region specific spot selection as Puleo, Oyola, etc.

sid vicious

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2012, 04:30:32 PM »
Am I the only Pops fanboy who is secretly hoping he puts out a part and restores his status on Chocolate and get put back on Lakai?

nope - i've backed him the whole time.....love his skating.

kellen

« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2012, 04:32:16 PM »
Pops should get Guy Mariano to mentor him then we'll get the legendary comeback part.

johnnymousedoom

• Rep: -21
  • skateBOARd
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2012, 04:33:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Am I the only Pops fanboy who is secretly hoping he puts out a part and restores his status on Chocolate and get put back on Lakai?
[close]

nope - i've backed him the whole time.....love his skating.
you have my axe.
I skateboard, fuck da poleeeeece

trannies and mannies

« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2012, 04:36:04 PM »
I took a mid day nap today and dreamed i was watching a new pappalardo part, then woke up and checked 48 blocks and behold, the interview was posted. I was stoked on the "I won't leave you hanging".

(I remember 2 tricks from my dream, a noseblunt on a cellar door and a nosemanny on a 3 up 3 down.)

Rasmus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2012, 04:42:03 PM »
I like Pops... well the "old" Pops.. Miss the kid, But that interview just doesn't do anything for me.

He skipped the whole part that really changed his career. It started with him moving from Philly to NY.

They should re interview him and ask what happened in the latter days at Alien when he decided to move to NY and disappear.

Being fairly close to him at least at a skate level in those days... for him to just roll out... quit Alien.. and pretend that some of us friends didn't exist when we saw him.. whether it was at Flushing.. or even in Barcelona where he just dipped out leaving all his stuff behind and said... "maybe i'll see you again.. maybe i won't" (we thought he was going to the store.. little did we know he flew back to the states)... I am still confused at what was happenening.

Well that does seem like a pretty weird thing to do!

...Anyways I loved the Fully Flared Pops, and that whole situation (how naive Pops might have been) with Cons is seriously fucked! - Also, as someone stated in the Pops Part thread, it seems like he might have had a depression... Which is no wonder when one of your big sponsors says you're poor, and then won't pay you - WHICH CAN MAKE ME SO FUCKING ANGRY!!! I've never heard of anyone skate any Cons shoes besides the Pops signature... I have, however, heard a LOT of people skating the Pops shoe, and say it was one of the best skateshoes ever!

chris311x

« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2012, 04:42:50 PM »
I took a mid day nap today and dreamed i was watching a new pappalardo part, then woke up and checked 48 blocks and behold, the interview was posted. I was stoked on the "I won't leave you hanging".

(I remember 2 tricks from my dream, a noseblunt on a cellar door and a nosemanny on a 3 up 3 down.)

this is so awkward and weird

hadouken

• Rep: 54
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2012, 04:43:43 PM »
Expand Quote
I wasn't quite expecting that from Pops.

I couldn't help but wonder reading though - I've known a lot of sponsored skaters basically survive on selling product from their packages, how would collecting scrap metal be easier than just selling boards/clothes/shoes that get sent to you every month? I'm not saying it would be a fun life, but it's a pretty standard method in the skate world.
[close]

He was doing that; Pops posted a receipt from Buffalo Exchange for selling them heaps of his pro model cons shoe.

Fair play. I guess he wasn't quite selling them for enough or something? Who knows.

And DGKalis - it's great to hear your thoughts on it. It sounds as though the dude has/had a legit case of depression. Which always sucks, pro skater or not.
&& lives to fuck the tits off new mums

sid vicious

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2012, 04:45:14 PM »
Pops should get Guy Mariano to mentor him then we'll get the legendary comeback part.

fo sho

A.J.K.

« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2012, 04:46:18 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

this is so awkward and weird
There is literally nothing awkward about that.

Facehead

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -95
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2012, 04:56:24 PM »

You are not alone.

ZEBRA

« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2012, 04:58:08 PM »
Man, that was a heavy interview. It answered a lot of questions I had, except for one. I want to know whether or not he's gonna come out with a part.

His situation trips me out. It sounds like he can't afford New York, so why didn't he just move?? I don't get it.... There's more to what's going on than what he's telling us. If he was that broke, I can't imagine his friends and family not telling him he should move somewhere cheaper or whatever. I don't get it. A lot of shit just doesn't add up.

Still a huge fan and I wish dude the best!!!

Prison Wallet

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
  • I'm gonna break my leg off in your ass
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2012, 05:16:31 PM »
get out of your own head

Such a tough thing to do when you're depressed.

And Anthony let me be your internet life coach... Call up Girl/Choco and ask for a plane ticket to LA. Couch surf, work at the Crail warehouse, and film a Berrics part (and I don't even like the Berrics) while the weather sucks in NY. Then go back to NY this summer and film a legit welcome back to Lakai part.

conqueso

« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2012, 05:20:51 PM »
seems like poor communication skills and the lack of reaching out to people.....still though I can feel for his troubles, it is not easy to support yourself when shit hits the fan.
Very interesting interview. Good luck to pops.

SqueezeThePulp

• Rep: 11
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2012, 05:23:21 PM »
While there is clearly more to the situation then meets the eye, If all he had was financial issues (even taking into consideration what the 48blocks dude said in the other thread about him not being able to find work) couldn't he have just swallowed his pride and moved back to Long Island and work at his family business? It's still pretty close to NYC. What do I know, though.

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2012, 05:34:33 PM »
Agree with Kalis. His sponsorship troubles are a cause and effect situation and he really just addressed the latter. Nothing about the fact he hasn't really shown up to work since 2007.
He might've been speaking in hindsight but the quote about paying rent with street-cred is pretty redundant, coming a paragraph after he's saying that shit about the Cons shop in NYC or that he felt he should be judged on his career to that point. It comes off like it was his intention to do just that as far as the Cons deal went.
Anyway hopefully its just an extended NYC black-hole thing that he gets out of and follows Jason Dill's lead and moves out West and rediscovers what it's all about.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 382
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2012, 05:45:41 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Kudos Kalis.

There was clearly something further going on.  The responses were far too long winded and veering off topic to be the whole story.  It sounds like he was jaded and just kind of giving up on life. 

Everyone has at least a few friends they could stay and eat with when times are tough.  A pro skater more so.
The only logical explanation is he was not in the shape to ask for help. 

If I was in his shoes and couldn't pay rent.  I'd be on the phone first thing with any friends, acquaintances, teammates on the West Coast like "I'm fucked up over here, and I gotta get out there to skate, can I crash on your couch and get into a regimen??"  Who the hell would turn him down on that?!?! 

I always loved his skating, but something's really not adding up.  By the sound of it, he was still getting royalties and salary from Chocolate up until he didn't produce anything for Pretty Sweet. 

Something's just not right.

We know this works because Dill has said that this was almost exactly what he did and Stevie did this with Kalis too.

Probably A Robot

• SLAP Pal
  • dancing about architecture
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2012, 05:49:28 PM »
It's getting pretty hard not to assume drugs were involved at some point in this story. Just sayin'.
"I'm regular, but I identify as switch backside."

wallieD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2012, 05:56:59 PM »
just found this photo from his shoe release party

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2012, 05:58:10 PM »
Popps is as savvy as they come

Im not so sure about that.

Daewon song is having a super shitty situation right now and in a lot of ways its a lot shittier than pappalardos so its a little hard for me to feel extra sorry for papplardo, especially when pops has a network of dudes who could definitely help him fix his situation if he would just email or call them. Daewon song is a man about it, pops is a chump.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 06:02:21 PM by The Ghost of Lenny Kirk »

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1322
  • Nathaniel Turner with a burner
« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2012, 05:58:46 PM »
He needs some cheese to go with that whine. I've been saying dude is a smug clown. On another note I might go cop me some cons. More specifically some pappalardo's