Author Topic: #1 Legitimate Gripe About Pretty Sweet  (Read 6534 times)

mfkream

#1 Legitimate Gripe About Pretty Sweet
« on: December 30, 2012, 01:45:43 AM »
I apologize if this has been covered but after seeing Ty's screenshots of editing and ultimately watching the video stoned I feel like a lot of the sounds of the skating are overdubbed Manolo style.

It's fine when Manolo does it because he's recontextualizing old footage but I'm nearly certain it's happening in this video which leads to the disconnect that everyone is feeling but can't quite put their finger on.

I don't care about the change of quality from vx to hd because everything must evolve but if we are subbing in the sounds of real skating for something that fits the soundtrack better we are truly sacrificing the soul of what we love.

For the record I'm coming from a career dj/recording artist standpoint as well as that of a lifelong skateboarder.

mfkream

Re: #1 Legitimate Gripe About Pretty Sweet
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 01:47:32 AM »
Also for the record I have learned to love the video for almost everything it has to offer but this is a serious sticking point for me. It's like a comedy show with a laugh track vs. a live studio audience.

janky858

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 02:06:47 AM »
I apologize if this has been covered but after seeing Ty's screenshots of editing and ultimately watching the video stoned I feel like a lot of the sounds of the skating are overdubbed Manolo style.

It's fine when Manolo does it because he's recontextualizing old footage but I'm nearly certain it's happening in this video which leads to the disconnect that everyone is feeling but can't quite put their finger on.

I don't care about the change of quality from vx to hd because everything must evolve but if we are subbing in the sounds of real skating for something that fits the soundtrack better we are truly sacrificing the soul of what we love.

For the record I'm coming from a career dj/recording artist standpoint as well as that of a lifelong skateboarder.
you're a complete fucking idiot if you think that, a lot of the audio is fake/vx audio yes. took you long enough to figure that one out. but vx noise makes it 100x better. what you see is what you hear.

Facehead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -95
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 02:12:14 AM »
SLAP is LOVE.

trannies and mannies

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 02:13:29 AM »
I did notice how a lot of the clips had VX1-sounding audio.  I'm assuming they either had really good mics or did it themselves? With PS having such high production value, them using the audio from a VX seems unlikely. Or maybe im just stupid. Whatever it is it sounds better.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 02:46:40 AM by trannies and mannies »

doublesteveburger

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 04:56:16 AM »
Anthony Poppalardo

jim

• Rep: -23
  • Guess that's why they call it window pane
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 06:53:21 AM »
Does it hurt when you skate?
If no: Go skate
If yes: Go skate

slogant-shirt

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 07:01:51 AM »
hey guys i've got a really cool idea, im gonna do a 50 50 sex change out cuz guy taught me that grind to sex change is the next no comply out of shit

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 118
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 07:41:36 AM »
the sound is a little strange because they are using super expensive mini shotgun mics that mostly pick up the sound directly in front of the camera, most of the mics that are on VXs and other cameras that used to be used in skating pick up all of the sound from all directions.
I'm also sure Ty probably fucked with the audio on the video cuz his style is to overdue the production. I wouldn't be suprised if the whole thing was mastered for some sorta sorround sound feeling.
Also a lot the slow mo and steadi cam stuff was shot using Phantom camera which im pretty sure doesn't have any onboard audio recording, which means the audio came from a B camera or and off board audio recorder which always fucks with your senses when you here audio on a skatevideo that wasn't recorded in the same location as the camera. This happens a lot in the Emerica video cuz they take the audio from the VX footage and put it with all the 16m footage.

AfterEight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -81
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 07:49:11 AM »
That's your #1 gripe?

How about the fact there was 4 koston tricks, no pops tricks, 1 mcrank trick and all of your favourite skaters had a shared part. It'll stand the test of time because a lot of the new blokes had great parts and the production quality is outstanding but god damn if I wasn't disappointed at the premier when I got something totally different than what I was expecting.<- To put it nicely.

Ripped Laces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • Dude, this is america. There are idiots everywhere
    • Ripped Laces = Shoe reviews, product reviews & more avatar image
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 08:08:52 AM »

solo

• Rep: -23
  • skateboarding
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 08:41:04 AM »
ever notice the fat filmer toppling over after brandon biebel nollie nosegrinds down and out in jeron wilson's section?

that should be bring some satisfaction to your cold stoned heart.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 11:01:50 AM by solo »

cheesychip

• Rep: -3
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 10:04:12 AM »
There will still be Prett Sweet and Pops threads when the next crailtap video is about to drop
''Your talk,'' I said, "is surely the handiwork of wisdom because not one word of it do I understand.''
― Flann O'Brien,

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 10:10:20 AM »
That's your #1 gripe?

How about the fact there was 4 koston tricks, no pops tricks, 1 mcrank trick and all of your favourite skaters had a shared part. It'll stand the test of time because a lot of the new blokes had great parts and the production quality is outstanding but god damn if I wasn't disappointed at the premier when I got something totally different than what I was expecting.<- To put it nicely.

There were like 10 koston tricks and popps' name was taken off the posters at least 4 months before the video was released.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 10:15:23 AM »
My number one gripe is how he decided to cut up all the skating. The way pretty sweet is now is not the best possible edit for all the footage he had.

I do not find myself muting parts or being constantly annoyed when i watch yeah right so i dont see how it would be unreasonable for me to expect that out of pretty sweet. if you have to try hard to appreciate the video then the editor did not do his job well.

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 726
  • Free Max B
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2012, 10:59:35 AM »
REALLY DOPE THREAD FREE MAX B
FREE MAX B

Dummbert

• Rep: 6
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2012, 11:08:40 AM »
My number one gripe is how he decided to cut up all the skating. The way pretty sweet is now is not the best possible edit for all the footage he had.

I do not find myself muting parts or being constantly annoyed when i watch yeah right so i dont see how it would be unreasonable for me to expect that out of pretty sweet. if you have to try hard to appreciate the video then the editor did not do his job well.

Agree, had a hard time watching it.
For some reason I liked the Bonus footage more than the actual flick...

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1957
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2012, 11:09:31 AM »

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 382
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2012, 11:49:47 AM »

Pretty much. The time it really sticks out to me is Cory Kennedy's kickflip back smith backside flip out. Why the hell did Ty edit or film it so you can only see up to his knees?  And that's just the one trick that immediately comes to mind. I know that there are other ones. If I was him, I would be pissed. I wouldn't want to be chopped out of the screen for tricks I tried hard to get.

nateworst

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2012, 12:50:12 PM »
no rickk footy

Dummbert

• Rep: 6
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2012, 12:52:04 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Pretty much. The time it really sticks out to me is Cory Kennedy's kickflip back smith backside flip out. Why the hell did Ty edit or film it so you can only see up to his knees?� And that's just the one trick that immediately comes to mind. I know that there are other ones. If I was him, I would be pissed. I wouldn't want to be chopped out of the screen for tricks I tried hard to get.

same for marc johnson's wheelie / bs 180 / fakie wheelie. trick looked decent, but something (everything above his knees) is missing.

mfkream

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2012, 02:12:57 PM »
That's your #1 gripe?

I'm just trying to take the video for what it is and I didn't think about the fact that it may be mic'd better maybe it's an hd sound kind of thing but I'm just saying I watched it really baked and couldn't get over the fact that the sounds didn't seem legit.

I've gotten over the fact that vx is dying and online video parts are taking over and everything else but the thought of actually hearing another trick than the one I'm watching does not sit well with me.

Are we gonna get to some Wilhelm Scream point? The Wilhelm Smith Grind!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 02:17:29 PM by We Like Mike Carroll »

TheHoard

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2012, 02:29:13 PM »
No Rick Howard Part. It just didn't feel right without at least a few clips of Mr.Howard.

EmilioBestevez

• Rep: 71
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2012, 04:09:23 PM »

These are overdubbed skate sounds......they didnt d that in PS....just used good mics and EQ'd it afterwards....and yes..as it's been said...that is you #1 gripe??

conqueso

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2012, 04:53:48 PM »
No Rick Howard Part. It just didn't feel right without at least a few clips of Mr.Howard.

forreals....and 1 mcrank trick?

what the fuck is happening?

asakusa75

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2012, 04:58:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

We will always have Virtual.

TheHoard

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2012, 05:50:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

We will always have Virtual.

The best and only Frontside Halfcab Flip to Back 5_0 down a mini hubba I've ever seen at 1:24, and that was most likely filmed back in late '92/ early '93.

ROCKxADIO420

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2012, 05:59:42 PM »
hey guys i've got a really cool idea, im gonna do a 50 50 sex change out cuz guy taught me that grind to sex change is the next no comply out of shit
holy fucking shit this was so funny!.

new_york_shitty

• Rep: -18
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2012, 06:58:05 PM »
ever notice the fat filmer toppling over after brandon biebel nollie nosegrinds down and out in jeron wilson's section?

that should be bring some satisfaction to your cold stoned heart.

#booom that shit was hilarious. everytime.

Moist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 10
  • Deaf and Dumb
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2012, 07:09:19 PM »
The bonus footage is just a bunch of clips put together with some music and MORE slow-mo, I appreciated the Andre Nickatina songs but I was hoping for raw footage with bails, not Pretty Sweet 2.0.