Author Topic: John Fitzgerald AWS life splicing  (Read 17807 times)

jimi420

Re: John Fitzgerald AWS life splicing
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2013, 12:34:45 AM »
The wallride-boardslide was great but I don't understand the hype around this dude. Maybe it's the 90s vibe he puts off. They should have put Nick Boserio on before him.

Paul Cicero

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -311
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2013, 01:07:50 AM »
The little slappy to start his line, the 180 (halfcab) the hard way, the crappy rail combo that doesnt look good, ollieing over the back of the rail into the grind. I mean, he skates some big shit that looks sick but then hes got all those filler lines and then the trendy tricks. And then theres his whole workwear uniform that hes suddenly rocking. Its a bit much. He could be on foundation or something and that would make sense but not really workshop.

The workshop editing and the filming really bring it all together more than fitzgerald does. The filming on that first pool line is sick tho. Hes on the team, good for him, but nothing he does screams "legend in the making"

I can see what your saying.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 646
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2013, 01:10:37 AM »
The little slappy to start his line, the 180 (halfcab) the hard way, the crappy rail combo that doesnt look good, ollieing over the back of the rail into the grind. I mean, he skates some big shit that looks sick but then hes got all those filler lines and then the trendy tricks. And then theres his whole workwear uniform that hes suddenly rocking. Its a bit much. He could be on foundation or something and that would make sense but not really workshop.

The workshop editing and the filming really bring it all together more than fitzgerald does. The filming on that first pool line is sick tho. Hes on the team, good for him, but nothing he does screams "legend in the making"

If you watch one in a million again, he rocks plain tees and dickies the whole time. I don't think any of that can be called "filler" either.

kools

• Rep: -45
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2013, 01:54:30 AM »
That was dope.

polyethylene

• Rep: -3
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2013, 02:29:06 AM »
goddamn that was great

ohhyess

• Rep: -43
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2013, 02:33:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Those last two tricks are incredible but i just dont see what makes him worth putting on workshop. Hes doing too many trendy tricks.
[close]

you're a faggot.
[close]

HAHA.. Cool your jets lad!
I would also like to know what tricks you consider trendy in that part?
Yeah you're right skaters these days be doing too many alley oop half-cab 5050's on gargantuan hubbas these days.

Brown Thunder

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -66
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2013, 04:02:46 AM »
favourite video of the year so far..

Seriously though this will be repeated throughout the year

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2013, 06:12:53 AM »
Yeah, he sick on a skateboard.

But I think he'll have to end his career soon due to fucked up feet from skating in those jacked vans skate hi's.

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2013, 06:17:05 AM »
Skating truck racks is a trend worth starting.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
  • tiger style
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2013, 06:26:19 AM »
forrestedwards69. 1 hour ago

"The intro was gay as fuck and so was? the song but the skateing was okay"

he can talk that shit. forrest and cube > john splicing

WILD POWER - FORREST EDWARDS - FULL PART

minnesotanice

• Rep: 1
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2013, 08:40:08 AM »

he has original style and is super gnarly, is why he's on alien workshop

ill agree with you on the board to feeble though

JMSneep

• Rep: 147
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2013, 08:41:17 AM »
good to see someone finally grind the forum ledges in barcelona! that shit is rough!

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2013, 08:47:11 AM »
meh, it defiantly meets the status quo of all the current trends of skateboarding.  meh

Camp Grunge

• Rep: -7
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2013, 08:50:35 AM »
workshop edits are the best. and jake johnson is making a career out of the wallride, and im perfectly ok with it
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 08:53:03 AM by Camp Grunge »

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2013, 08:53:57 AM »
I feel like a dick but I was expecting more, liked his pawnshop part better.
I'm with you, it kinda feels like every footage I see of him is the same. A couple of ollie over rails to grinds, boardslide to whatevers, and half cabs the hard way onto some big shit. He's gnarly though, that first grinder was fucked up.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 422
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2013, 09:39:31 AM »
That was so rad. Everything about his skating is so powerful. I feel like his style got a little better too.

And Benny Maglinao killed it on the filming/editing. HD done right.

Irvine-Sucks.com

yep yep

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2013, 09:42:50 AM »
this makes me happy, very happy.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2013, 10:09:57 AM »
Whoever makes/edits/or whatever is the best in the biz!

Thats exactly what I was thinking. Editing on this and the cinematographer project for example gets me so hyped

Crazy Ralph

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 23
  • You're all gonna die!
    • ShredNJ avatar image
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2013, 10:15:57 AM »
whoa. thought nothing of this dude, but this just made me a fan.
You either die a hero or live long enough to watch yourself become the Berra.

via

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 239
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2013, 10:30:49 AM »
Expand Quote
forrestedwards69. 1 hour ago

"The intro was gay as fuck and so was? the song but the skateing was okay"

[close]

he can talk that shit. forrest and cube > john splicing

WILD POWER - FORREST EDWARDS - FULL PART

Not hating on John, but it is kinda weird to watch these parts back to back and think how Forrest is unsponsored and this was more or less Johns intro to Alien Workshop. I don't like to make things into competitions, but the homie video part was way better than the giant company part. Skating-wise, anyway.

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2013, 10:54:32 AM »
That was fucking amazing, raw fucking power. He reminds me of Brian Anderson a lot. I know a lot of you guys are still butt hurt that Forest didn't win, but lets face it had Forest skated everything he would have won, he choose to limit himself and lost the contest, stop being mad at John for being man enough to skate everything!!

WhackAsFuck

• Rep: -30
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2013, 11:05:26 AM »
your telling me a guy that can 360 flip 50-50 big rails cant try something on tranny

via

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 239
« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2013, 11:14:02 AM »
That was fucking amazing, raw fucking power. He reminds me of Brian Anderson a lot. I know a lot of you guys are still butt hurt that Forest didn't win, but lets face it had Forest skated everything he would have won, he choose to limit himself and lost the contest, stop being mad at John for being man enough to skate everything!!

I'm only saying this to play devils advocate, I think Johns skating is sick.

But I don't really care who won OIAM. It was a contest, and there had to be a winner, so they chose one. But, they will be compared since they both got noticed through it, and seeing John get so hooked up while forrest is just flow (I think?) is pretty weird. Forrest crushed this year, arguably harder than john did.

And if by "skate everything" you mean handrails and a little transition, I guess he does skate everything. But Johns skateboarding is pretty fucking one sided, you can't argue against that. Forrests skating is kinda one sided, too, but he's got a way deeper bag of tricks, so it seems less repetitive.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2013, 11:14:47 AM »
I see where people are coming from on the trend aspect, but I don't mind this trend. Gnarly grinds and slides speak to me as someone who was largely incapable of flipping their board much on anything but flat. Sort of reminds me of Welcome To Hell and a little Eastern Exposure. Not bad things at all.

eelbermston

• Rep: 8
« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2013, 11:17:34 AM »
So amazing... Although BA cannot be replicated I can totally see the similarities. Cant wait for the Vans video!

I think with so many companies we all hope for them to replicate the past. Girl/Mouse, Real/ real to reel, Zoo/ Mixtape. With AWS we really get that old timecode feel for the new ages.

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2013, 11:36:34 AM »
your telling me a guy that can 360 flip 50-50 big rails cant try something on tranny

I am saying he choose not to, acted like an arrogant prick and lost the contest. He could have easily won had he skated every spot they went to, remember he choose not to!

shitsandwich

• Rep: -53
« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2013, 11:56:08 AM »
The 90s are in and I'm just fine with that.

SUPERNAUT

• Rep: -70
  • suck it
    • Max Hates Your Favorite Movies avatar image
« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2013, 11:56:16 AM »
And if by "skate everything" you mean handrails and a little transition, I guess he does skate everything. But Johns skateboarding is pretty fucking one sided, you can't argue against that. Forrests skating is kinda one sided, too, but he's got a way deeper bag of tricks, so it seems less repetitive.
You're so blinded by you own hypocrisy that I'm surprised you were even able to type that.

maxhatesyourfavoritemovies.blogspot.com

COMMUNITYPACK

• Rep: 51
« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2013, 12:04:26 PM »
Old Ed/BA syle skateboarding on the Workshop.

What's not to like?

Heavy.

Sam the Lion

• Rep: 4
« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2013, 12:25:47 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I can see what your saying.
I for one am just fucking stoked to see some legitimate dialogue going on these boards.

* With the half cab f/s 50-50, I feel like the alley-oop aspect does make all the difference. Even a half cab b/s 50-50 is still a good-looking combination of two strong tricks and always will be, but the lil legacy of Grant Taylor resurrecting that trick in Mindfield is still pretty out of hand with the chino pant guys even four years later. I don't know if it's cornier to be biting Grant if you ride for Tum Yeto but would kind of obviously rather be on Alien, or to actually be on Alien and be borrowing from your team mate as the new guy (Boserio, Fitzgerald). And then there's being pro on a DNA team like Daryl Angel and Mikey Taylor, and following leads from younger dudes on your own team who most likely don't even like you.

* It's a personal preference thing, but I back the boardslide-feeble, both for the "Safeway curb" legacy thing that the Thrasher caption noted, and for the fact that Fitzgerald actually split the grind times pretty evenly and dug into that feeble grind; usually dudes are just throwing in a little cute feeble touch at the end.

* I agree with the Sheffey nosegrind. Again, like a half cab 50-50, if you can isolate that trick from the times that its being done in it's a sick trick, but now is not the time. At the least, it shouldn't have been included as a banger. Grant's trick from Mindfield, AVE's trick from Mindfield, Dill's f/s curb slappy from Mindfield, a vicious slam trying to do a Lennie Kirk grind � knock it off, John. You're on the team.

* I like and I don't like this dude's heavy BA influence. Reintroducing BA's Modus boardslide psycho hubba with a good f/s 5-0, doing a line with BA's signature ledge f/s fakie nosegrind 180, overall style � the push, physical appearance, and even the way he positions his weight on certain basic tricks like feeble grinds and frontside tails..I don't know, he's probably not fully conscious that he's doing it, and he actually does it pretty well, but even if BA himself is moving on, I don't know if it's right that we get a replacement.

* Skating motor vehicles has always, and will always, rule.

* Ollieing out of that first 50-50 was nice.

* That tall f/s 50-50 drop to 5-0 180 was sick. Just some really radical dumb, caveman shit that you would never expect.

* Skating that last rail, as opposed to going the normal route with a trick over it, and then doing something as simple and subtley weird as a long half cab boardslide was genius.

* I like this dude, but like a lot of ams I think that he just needs to drop his influences more and find his own voice. I feel like Kevin Terpening has actually done a good job of that; maybe he's gone slightly overboard with them, but reinventing both the bean plant and the straight no comply, and that one has always been right in front of everyone's face, is some pro-level insight. The rest of his skating is raw enough to balances it out and avoid getting too gimmicky.

* The workwear thing is true, but I'd at least say that he and his crew do it slightly more naturally than some of those slick motherfuckers on HUF, for instance. Or "corny-ass Eli Reed", even more so. But did any of you guys see that recent photo of the Alien dudes at a bowling alley? Jesus Christ, come on. Workwear does actually make a lot of practical sense for skateboarding, but it's just too inauthentic with most of these dudes. Stop being romantic: you are not your grandfathers and you never will be, and you shouldn't want to be (those guys were assholes). I guess that in a different way it was still slightly inauthentic when Ryan Wilburn or whoever was doing it, but still. At least Peabody actually works construction. Ryan Spencer and Elijah Berle are definitely not bringing it.

* Lastly, I like Forrest, but for the record 360 flip 50-50s, or 5-0s for that matter, are close to as gay as it gets. Maybe he's slightly too young to understand why, but whatever. Young guys: pop shoves to grinds, and by extension 360 flips, are only fabo if brought to your nose. Impossible 50-50s are okay as trick selection because those are two traditionally raw dog tricks, even if Dylan's gonna be doing them.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 12:33:22 PM by Sam the Lion »