Author Topic: california in september (skating schools)  (Read 950 times)

BBB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
california in september (skating schools)
« on: January 15, 2013, 01:20:16 AM »
so i'm probably going to california (san francisco, la, san diego, maybe las vegas) with some friends this summer. (first time skate trip to the us)
since the flights will be cheaper if we're going in september than in july or august i was wondering if there are any cons going at this time of the year?
school vacations are generally in july and august, right? so does it make a difference if we would like to skate school spots when we're going at that time? i mean is it possible to skate these spots also during the week or can you do that anyway any time of the year?
and what about street skating at other spots during the week? are there lots of spots to go to or do you have to wait for the weekends to skate them?

thanks,

ZEBRA

Re: california in september (skating schools)
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 01:45:28 AM »
I don't love in any of those cities. I live in Sacramento, California.

I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that you'll have a lot better luck skating any street during the weekend though than you would during the week. When school gets out, kids are still there for awhile after and so are the teachers and janitorial staff.

Albertopadilla408

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 01:52:32 AM »
San Jose, tons of amazing spots, great Parks and a new DIY, about 45 mins away from San Francisco, Oakland and Santa Cruz, highly recommend, I have hella spots and Im willing to share ;)

BBB

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 02:27:46 AM »
we're not sure which cities we want to go to yet. i just named a few which came to my mind. but i think starting in the san francisco area and then going in the south wont be a bad plan. (or the other way, from south to north) but just suggest some more cities you think it's worth going to!

When school gets out, kids are still there for awhile after and so are the teachers and janitorial staff.
How about that situation in summer? Are there quite a lot of people in schools too because of summer school? (I just would like to know if we have any advantage if we're going in july or august)

ZEBRA

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 04:52:22 AM »
we're not sure which cities we want to go to yet. i just named a few which came to my mind. but i think starting in the san francisco area and then going in the south wont be a bad plan. (or the other way, from south to north) but just suggest some more cities you think it's worth going to!

Expand Quote
When school gets out, kids are still there for awhile after and so are the teachers and janitorial staff.
[close]
How about that situation in summer? Are there quite a lot of people in schools too because of summer school? (I just would like to know if we have any advantage if we're going in july or august)

Definitely an advantage if you go in July or August. School usually starts in the middle of August. Summer school usually ends in the middle of July, I think.

Also, good starting point is San Francisco and the surrounding area. You're onto something. Great city and a lot to skate and see.

BBB

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 01:22:58 AM »
so if were going in september all the schools will only be skateable on the weekends? or is there a chance that we may be lucky and be able to skate them during the week?

nylin

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 02:52:21 AM »
so if were going in september all the schools will only be skateable on the weekends? or is there a chance that we may be lucky and be able to skate them during the week?

Besides in the summer time schools are usually only weekend spots.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 01:26:26 AM »
SF protip, skip 3rd and army and emb in general if you're short on time. There's next to nothing to skate in emb and the ledges at 3rd and army are super grinded down and rounded. If you really want to just see the spots for yourself, I'm just going to warn you that they're not in their prime anymore. The marble ledges at Waller and Stanyan is a good spot though. A bunch of smooth marble with a jersey quarter and it's completely legal to skate. There's more spots right by like Kezar, some 2 stair ledges, and the Academy of Science and it's right next to Haight and Ashbury, which is a pretty cool tourist spot you could check out real quick.

_aminal

• Rep: -8
  • win some, lose most.
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 10:19:49 AM »
SF protip, skip 3rd and army and emb in general if you're short on time. There's next to nothing to skate in emb and the ledges at 3rd and army are super grinded down and rounded. If you really want to just see the spots for yourself, I'm just going to warn you that they're not in their prime anymore. The marble ledges at Waller and Stanyan is a good spot though. A bunch of smooth marble with a jersey quarter and it's completely legal to skate. There's more spots right by like Kezar, some 2 stair ledges, and the Academy of Science and it's right next to Haight and Ashbury, which is a pretty cool tourist spot you could check out real quick.

go there

and no you can't skate on the weekday at a fucking school man.
unless you are skating at around 8:30 PM

you will have a lot of driving around to do in Los Angeles if you are trying to skate all the schools and shit.

Ed's impossibles are like gonzs kickflips....