Author Topic: Looking for a really supportive shoe that doesn't kill all boardfeel  (Read 1311 times)

Shtonk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -181
Hey everyone,

so I've rolled my ankle really badly a couple months ago and it's still not great. I bought these trail running mid-high shoes, Salomon X-Ultra 4 Mid (https://www.salomon.com/de-de/shop-emea/product/x-ultra-4-mid-gore-tex-21.html#color=47961) that are really great in how light and nimble they feel but how much support I'm feeling for my heel and ankle. That becomes especially noticeable when I change into my Last Resorts for skating and my foot feels lose and starts hurting really quickly. So I'm wondering, what would you recommend for a skate shoe that isn't a complete clog (I love skating LRs because of the boardfeel) but maybe provides a support like that hiking shoe? Been looking at Ryan Lay's review of the 440s V2 and that sounds kind of interesting, might go and try those out. They're cupsoles but feel thin enough maybe.

Thanks for any advice!

MetalAnkleMan

• Rep: 17
Re: Looking for a really supportive shoe that doesn't kill all boardfeel
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2024, 08:23:56 AM »
Ankle breaking / rolling expert here.

Go with the NB 440V2 hi. I am OCD AF about ankle support due to my past injuries. Those keep your foot/ankle locked it and skate amazing. Great board feel. My only complaint is they are too narrow for my feet so I had to stop skating them.

The Vans Skate Sk8-hi are a little wider in the toe box so if you have wide feet consider those. These fit my feet better so I'm skating these but I would say as a whole the 440 hi out beats the Vans Skate Sk8-hi in every way.

The goal here is to find a wide sole thats low to the ground. The opposite: narrow sole, higher up makes it easier for your ankle to tip over and therefore roll.

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2024, 08:34:10 AM »
I think like 440v2 high with an aftermarket insole with more arch support/heel cup.

480 high might be good but lack of board feel from what I’ve heard.

My feet underpronate super hard so I need a wide  stable midsole with good arch support and the 1010 seems to make my feet the happiest (albeit I wish they were a mid top). And I do find that 1010 seems to be happiest medium (for me)with regards to board feel.

Jacorpes

• Rep: 4
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2024, 09:46:28 AM »
I’ve skated vulcs my whole life, mostly Vans, made the switch to skating Last Resort when they came out, impulse bought some SB Dunks recently and I can’t believe how un-bulky they actually feel to skate in. I imagined it would be like skating in clogs and I’d just wear them as chillers, but they actually have as much boardfeel as any vulc I’ve skated. Way more support than anything I’ve skated in too obviously.

SLACKERPARTY

• Rep: 24
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2024, 09:56:53 AM »
crockett highs. steer away from the decon joints tho

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 466
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2024, 07:18:52 PM »
The G6 cupsoles from Emerica are solid choices while they're still around: Slip Cup, Figgy G6, Gamma G6, and KSL G6.

Michelin cupsoles from Etnies: Marana, Joslin. These offer less boardfeel than the G6 cups. The sole is sturdy and grippy. When paired with a nice insole, you shouldn't feel fatigue nearly as much as slimmer shoes after skating in them.

New Balance #: 1010 pretty thick feeling shoe but surprisingly good connection to your board in the forefoot, 600 more of a good middle ground between slim cup and thick tech cup (808) but seems to satisfy the itch of a supportive cup that's still flexible like vulcs. 508 is another middle of the road cup that blends vulc and cup qualities

Es: Silo SC, Quattro, and maybe the Accel OG. The sole on the OG is thick-ish but feels surprisingly more connected to the board underneath your feet than expected. Rest of the shoe is bulky so loss of board feel there. The other two models are similar to NB# 600 performance and feel: light and felixble, but are supportive cupsoles (with midsoles)

TLDR:
Emerica G6 - KSL, Gamma G6, Figgy G6, Slip Cup

Etnies: Marana, Joslin, Aurelien (Michelin specific one), Windrow

NB#: 1010, 600, 508

Es: Quattro, Silo SC, Accel Slim Plus or Accel Slim x Swift 1.5, Swift 1.5

Nike SB: Dunks, Nyjah 1-3, maybe Ishod 1 & 2

Vans: The AVE (if you can still find them), Zahba Mid, Rowan 2
Super Champion Fun Zone

Pastasash

• Rep: 59
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2024, 07:28:34 AM »
SB Blazer Mids or Dunk Highs are my favorite to skate in coming off a ankle sprain, super supportive for the ankles and skate/look great.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1562
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2024, 08:48:02 AM »
Yeah blazers are pretty much the definition, all support, no sole…..I’d say try on both pairs of V2 and the OG 440 no?one is thinner than the other…. 

Something I’ve come to realize too is that you can find support in different ways in a shoe, a mid or high is helpful, but so is a more stable sole.  A half cab versus a cupsole new balance, which are more stable?  I’d say try stuff on and lean over your ankle, IMO, that vulc sidewall is snap city…..

I think on cup soles too, on flip stuff you let the shoe do the work, not your ankle…..everyone’s need for feel is different though so hopefully you find something.

I skate TJ’s….they are bricks….

Shtonk

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2024, 02:40:49 PM »
Thanks everyone! I skated the Vans Sk8His for a long time before Last Ressorts and that's not what I would call a supportive shoe. They turn into a flabby sock after like two weeks of skating. Sole thickness is one thing but what I find so helpful in these Salomon boots is the way the heelcup hugs my ankle in the back and how above the ankle joint it really closes in like almost pinching the Achilles heel if that makes sense? And when they're laced up the front seems to stiffen around the upper outside of the foot where the frontal lateral ligament is. And also how the heel part of the Sole has worn into the shape of my heels without losing dampening qualities etc etc. So there's tech and shape engineering involved that the Sk8Hi doesn't have at all. That's what I'm looking for.

I've looked at higher blazers but so far couldn't bring myself to rocking the swoosh... I also habe a fairly wide foot and the blazers look slim? Curious to see how they compare to the NB 440s. NB seem like they have the most foot-health-engineered approach in the game, is that correct?

Also for third Party insoles what would you guys suggest? I have quite flat feet and got orthopedic insoles which im pretty sure are what made me roll my ankle this last time as it happened just after I started using them. Would you guys go for skate brands like footprint or is there better stuff out there?

herecomesaregular

• Rep: 39
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2024, 08:04:42 AM »
Thanks everyone! I skated the Vans Sk8His for a long time before Last Ressorts and that's not what I would call a supportive shoe. They turn into a flabby sock after like two weeks of skating. Sole thickness is one thing but what I find so helpful in these Salomon boots is the way the heelcup hugs my ankle in the back and how above the ankle joint it really closes in like almost pinching the Achilles heel if that makes sense? And when they're laced up the front seems to stiffen around the upper outside of the foot where the frontal lateral ligament is. And also how the heel part of the Sole has worn into the shape of my heels without losing dampening qualities etc etc. So there's tech and shape engineering involved that the Sk8Hi doesn't have at all. That's what I'm looking for.

I've looked at higher blazers but so far couldn't bring myself to rocking the swoosh... I also habe a fairly wide foot and the blazers look slim? Curious to see how they compare to the NB 440s. NB seem like they have the most foot-health-engineered approach in the game, is that correct?

Also for third Party insoles what would you guys suggest? I have quite flat feet and got orthopedic insoles which im pretty sure are what made me roll my ankle this last time as it happened just after I started using them. Would you guys go for skate brands like footprint or is there better stuff out there?

I run Emerica g6 insoles I stole from some KSL g6s in my 440s and they’re perfect

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2024, 08:43:13 AM »
I’ve been liking Superfeet Run Cushion insoles in my NB 440 v1 his for a balance of boardfeel and support. I just picked up the v2s and hoping the good times will continue.

Shtonk

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2024, 06:37:18 AM »
Thanks everyone, I'm gonna look at NB 440s Gen 1 and 2 and Blazers and let you know, I have pretty wide feet as well (V003 in Last Ressorts) so will see about 440s being too slim.

Shtonk

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2024, 12:56:18 AM »
So I've ordered 440 v1 and v2, Nike SB Dunk Hi and Blazers. The 440 v2 beabsichtigt all of the others straight out of the water in terms how hugged and connected the foot feels to the shoe. From the heel cup to the lacing across the span to the ortholite insoles, this one feels really quite close to the hi tech hiking boots. The cupsole feels mega stiff compared to the LRs and Sk8His Im used to but I expected that. Will see how they break in and feel in the board, so far I've only tested for feeling on the foot. Also gonna have to der if they end up being to slim for my front foot.

Tied for second place are the 440v1 (feels a bit less fitted to the foot and less connected) and the dunk (feels a little wobbly and roomy). The blazers are glorified sk8his as far as Im concerned. No discernible fitting around the ankle feels like they'll break in to be just as mushy as LRs

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -770
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2024, 01:22:55 AM »
Nb1010
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

thehogsniper

• Rep: 58
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2024, 04:42:47 AM »
I've tried pretty much each of the shoes described in this thread, and can tell you that because each person's feet is different that it can be super difficult to get the perfect shoe.
If you need boardfeel, Vans vulcs with popcush are probably a good way to go. I wear them at my job all day and typically have no issues. Only problem is that I find they mess with my biometrics (it's like walking in wet sand all day) and aren't the most durable, but they're a step up from LRAB.
In terms of the best comfort, you really can't go wrong with the 440/1010. New Balance is probably the best overall for comfort and all day wear. 440 is thinner while the 1010 is a lot thicker. The 480 are very dunk like but I've had days where they've killed my feet. 808 has it's supporters but it seems to be described as brick like by some. Outside of NB, shoes like the Tyshawn, Puig, Leo, Nyjah, Rowan are also worth checking out. I would try those on before considering a purchase, however.

Rick Trapasso

• Rep: 13
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2024, 04:56:36 AM »
Jordan 1 mids

jums

• Rep: -54
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2024, 05:43:45 AM »
SB Blazer Mids or Dunk Highs are my favorite to skate in coming off a ankle sprain, super supportive for the ankles and skate/look great.

Blazers are thinner than a pair of vans. I can feel the ground walking in those.

pops

• Rep: 215
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2024, 05:56:04 AM »
Josl1n has a very good balance  between boardfeel and support.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 969
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2024, 11:02:56 AM »
I'm waiting on the Asics. I'll get back to this again after I get.

As someone who's suffered and is going to suffer till the day I die.

Fuck bloard feel. Protect yer feet.

Now that I've said that. The absolute best non NB combo has been fast break plus a game changer insole.
Followed closely by dunk with a game changer.

Idk what it is about that orange foam. Must be some princess and the pea shit. Even the Af2 with a game changer has good bloard feel.

Take my level of bloard feel with a grain of salt. I skatebloarded in boots a lot and I why I'm so attached to like Penny and like that weirdo who name escapes me. And kien.
Bet they never thought they'd be classified next to Penny in anyway that posi. 
I just did.

More boot cats need to pop up.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

CurbRaiders

• Rep: -1
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2024, 01:19:05 PM »
I really like the Tyshawn remastered mids for ankle protections

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1090
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2024, 06:11:53 PM »
I'm waiting on the Asics. I'll get back to this again after I get.

As someone who's suffered and is going to suffer till the day I die.

Fuck bloard feel. Protect yer feet.

Now that I've said that. The absolute best non NB combo has been fast break plus a game changer insole.
Followed closely by dunk with a game changer.

Idk what it is about that orange foam. Must be some princess and the pea shit. Even the Af2 with a game changer has good bloard feel.

Take my level of bloard feel with a grain of salt. I skatebloarded in boots a lot and I why I'm so attached to like Penny and like that weirdo who name escapes me. And kien.
Bet they never thought they'd be classified next to Penny in anyway that posi. 
I just did.

More boot cats need to pop up.

protect your feet indeed.

i’m old, and i’d rather skate, than not. board feel is overrated. now. i’m not good. so there is that.

nb 808s. .5 size up, and need a fair amount of break in.
i’ll skate thin shoes, when i want to hurt myself.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1338
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2024, 06:43:24 PM »
Yeah blazers are pretty much the definition, all support, no sole…..I’d say try on both pairs of V2 and the OG 440 no?one is thinner than the other…. 

Something I’ve come to realize too is that you can find support in different ways in a shoe, a mid or high is helpful, but so is a more stable sole.  A half cab versus a cupsole new balance, which are more stable?  I’d say try stuff on and lean over your ankle, IMO, that vulc sidewall is snap city…..

I think on cup soles too, on flip stuff you let the shoe do the work, not your ankle…..everyone’s need for feel is different though so hopefully you find something.

I skate TJ’s….they are bricks….

Agreed about different types of support.

I went over to blazer mids after a long long time w half cabs. I felt they were much better for my ankles and that my hips were jist taking a beating. Then i switched over to a pair of 1010s, skeptically so, thinking the lack of direct ankle support would fail me. I was totally wrong. Since swapping to the 1010 as a regular and skate shoe last week, I havent been this free of pain while skating in a very long time.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind