Author Topic: Post UPCOMING/RECENT NIKE SB shoe releases thread  (Read 1083605 times)

TatoConyo and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

childhood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
Re: Post UPCOMING/RECENT NIKE SB shoe releases thread
« Reply #4320 on: February 14, 2016, 06:35:56 AM »
Fucking lame, especially since his first shoe was so low-key minimal and just so subtly cool.
This is like the antithesis of that. I don't even hate the sock thing in theory, either, just not here.

Nike Koston 1's are possibly my favorite skate shoe, the ones I get complimented on the most by non-skaters (even my uber-stylish pot dealer wanted a pair), and (True Story) the only pair of shoes any crew of strangers on the street have ever tried to steal off my feet (that black pair with the silver swoosh, when they first came out) .

I'm not saying looks are the only thing that matters, but I don't see too many people getting robbed for Koston 3s
Nancy Drew

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 13
  • Jacques Cousteau could never get this low
« Reply #4321 on: February 14, 2016, 06:46:30 AM »
Fuck Koston. What a fucc boi.
Mike-Mo is going to be one of the best if not the best skater of his generation. Barring some kind of career ending injury or drug addiction.

carbonite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 440
    • frozen in carbonite
« Reply #4322 on: February 14, 2016, 09:02:58 AM »
let's wait until we see the finished shoe...some addl achilles support might be nice (?)

victor doom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -47
  • "Have no fear of perfection, you'll never reach it
« Reply #4323 on: February 14, 2016, 10:01:27 AM »
I don't think the shoe design of the suede is that bad. The sock and the sole on it tho.............Real bad.

Sold Out

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #4324 on: February 14, 2016, 12:53:35 PM »
I tried a pair on and they are really comfy and feel like they would skate super well. The sock gives a weird feeling of security. 

iwshilvdnfinland

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -106
« Reply #4325 on: February 14, 2016, 07:12:13 PM »
I tried a pair on and they are really comfy and feel like they would skate super well. The sock gives a weird feeling of security. 

i don't doubt this actually

i wonder how many pairs of the new P Rod shoe sold?  can't be many.  everyone was saying they were at the outlets.  you'd think they'd learn with these hyper expensive shoes

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #4326 on: February 14, 2016, 07:16:09 PM »

i wonder how many pairs of the new P Rod shoe sold?  can't be many.  everyone was saying they were at the outlets.  you'd think they'd learn with these hyper expensive shoes

Oh, with this shoe they'll learn. I can already see them at Ross ad outlets. After promoting the shit out of them. Wouldn't be surprised if Nike makes a low tech and vulc version just like they did for Paul's shoe.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1085
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
« Reply #4327 on: February 14, 2016, 08:31:46 PM »

Probably doesn't cost Nike as much to make tech skate shoes. Seems like if you want to be a top-tier SB account, you have to buy kicks like the P-Rod 9, Koston 3, etc...

They are pre-booked in advanced, don't know if there is a shop minimum to buy shoes like the Koston 3's. But once Nike takes the shop's money, then they are good from there.

Up to the consumer if they wanna drop $150+.
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

tuque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1
« Reply #4328 on: February 14, 2016, 09:25:34 PM »
I like them

wheee!

StupidlyOriginal_SB

• Rep: -5
  • Fuck It.
« Reply #4329 on: February 14, 2016, 10:44:53 PM »
Nike SB Koston 3

Out March 1st. $150

Price is steeeeep, but you can hate all you want now, that shoe is actually a super solid skate shoe. The sock booty breathes really well, and the flick is on point.

Just wait.

ZEBRA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #4330 on: February 14, 2016, 11:46:04 PM »
Nike SB Koston 3

Out March 1st. $150

Price is steeeeep, but you can hate all you want now, that shoe is actually a super solid skate shoe. The sock booty breathes really well, and the flick is on point.

Just wait.

Probably would breath better if there wasn't any booty at all.  ???

Hideous shoe by Koston. And $150?? Outta your mid!!! Don't see this shoe lasting too long. Or at least I don't see it becoming popular in skating.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 11:24:39 AM by Bubblegum Tate »
Shopping at Zumiez.....

Look motherfuck, I just want to buy my "Purple Drank" shirt and get the fuck out so I can get home in time to steal some Virginia Slims from my mom before she gets home from work.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4331 on: February 14, 2016, 11:52:44 PM »
I spoke to a guy that works at Nike today. Asked him about the SB department and why they were doing such a shitty job. He told me the turn around from that department was super fucked and how no one wants to work there and how everyone that is just started. It's like the one department no one wants to be a part of. Sort of explains this Boston shoe cause I am sure some fucking sports designer got hired to do it.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 193
« Reply #4332 on: February 15, 2016, 03:25:22 AM »
Nike SB Koston 3

Out March 1st. $150

Just wait.

Probably would breath better if there wasn't any booty at all.  ???

Hideous shoe by Koston. And $150?? Outta your mid!!! Don't see this shoe lasting too long. Or at least I don't see it becoming popular in skating.

are we sure this isn't a case of the shoe with the sock booty costing $150 and then they'll release a cheaper version without it?

remember when Muska dropped that first C1rca shoe for about $130, but at the same time it was covered in more plastic than Legoland
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 11:24:43 AM by Bubblegum Tate »

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #4333 on: February 15, 2016, 03:33:52 AM »
I spoke to a guy that works at Nike today. Asked him about the SB department and why they were doing such a shitty job. He told me the turn around from that department was super fucked and how no one wants to work there and how everyone that is just started. It's like the one department no one wants to be a part of. Sort of explains this Boston shoe cause I am sure some fucking sports designer got hired to do it.
Damn, that's really interesting, and it explains a lot of things on the products. The marketing is top notch, but unless the dunks, the blazers, the bruins, and the janoskis, the rest of their current line is not interesting at all.

Stoop Kid 2.0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -231
  • I still fucking hate hipsters.
« Reply #4334 on: February 15, 2016, 03:42:44 AM »
That shoe has fuccboi written all over it.

frontsideindy

• Rep: -122
« Reply #4335 on: February 15, 2016, 04:17:54 AM »
That shoe has fuccboi written all over it.
IN BOLD TYPE

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 174
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #4336 on: February 15, 2016, 06:58:06 AM »

And I'm here full of ideas!  :'(

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

carbonite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 440
    • frozen in carbonite
« Reply #4337 on: February 15, 2016, 07:18:34 AM »

[faxes resume and cover letter to Beaverton]

sports

• Rep: 22
« Reply #4338 on: February 15, 2016, 08:04:26 AM »
Probably doesn't cost Nike as much to make tech skate shoes. Seems like if you want to be a top-tier SB account, you have to buy kicks like the P-Rod 9, Koston 3, etc...

They are pre-booked in advanced, don't know if there is a shop minimum to buy shoes like the Koston 3's. But once Nike takes the shop's money, then they are good from there.

that's fucked, forcing shops to take the loss for their overpriced flops. ouch

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4339 on: February 15, 2016, 09:59:30 AM »

I think the hardest thing about working for Nike is your credibility. I think it's almost impossible to work there unless you have work history at competing companies or some sort of credibility in that industry whether it be skateboarding, basketball, etc. It kind of made sense how a lot of the people that helped color stuff in the original SB dunks were all the skaters like Richie Mulder and his Chocolate dunks, Gino dunk, Supa NYC colorway dunk, etc. Like I am sure Scott Johnston is a good designer but it helped that he was a skater and that is why he was able to go to Adidas rather than some other joe shmo that designs shoes. I hope Nike turns it around some day but for now, the SB department is run by some shit heads.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

Lance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 579
« Reply #4340 on: February 15, 2016, 10:44:34 AM »

[faxes resume and cover letter to Beaverton]

I had a friend who got offered a job in that dept.  he said the pay was shit, especially for nike.  to move and live in Portland and work for Nike at the wage they were offering was almost an insult/couldn't afford to live there for the job.

that's fucked, forcing shops to take the loss for their overpriced flops. ouch

Shops aren't forced to take anything they don't want from Nike.
Anyone else notice that Tony Parker is the Gino of basketball?

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • Has anybody seen Sponge Harris?
« Reply #4341 on: February 15, 2016, 11:21:03 AM »

This only works if the intent is to sell a single run of shoes. If the Koston 3 doesn't perform in sales (at the retail level), and they go into a sale pile...how many shops do you think will be reordering this shoe? Your prebooks for the next season are bound to drop this SKU from their wall if it doesn't move, just like any other massively expensive shoe that doesn't move. RIP Nike Zoom Tre AD.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #4342 on: February 15, 2016, 11:38:24 AM »
I dont have any degree or experience in footwear design, I'm sure i wouldnt stand a chance at working for Nike or any major company. I'm trying to find a smaller company to start my first steps (still waiting for Ous to get back to me), and i actually submited a new shoe design i made to this Pensole/Footlocker championship that is happening right now, could be a great way to get my work seen widely.

It's a shame that Nike hire people that dont know shit about skateboarding to design the shoes (and that they payment is that low). It's really hard to do a good job when you dont know in depth what you're dealing with. Designing skate shoes can be the hardest things for a shoe designer. Skateboarders are a extremely hard niche to pleasure. You need shoes that last a long time without being moon boots, that breathe well, that are flexible, and that perform great but look cool/casual because we are mostly broke and use them to go everywhere (we're also picky as fuck).
I know a guy form the UK that got a job at adidas and it's cool because he is in fact a skateboarder and knows his shit, so i'm sure he will make a good work there.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #4343 on: February 15, 2016, 11:51:04 AM »
RIP Nike Zoom Tre AD.

That shoe was ahead of its time. Anyone remember the Zoom FP's? The sucessor of the Tre AD... I only saw 1 pair in the wild and it was a in a man in his late 50's. I was so hyped on that shoe at the time but they were really expensive too.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • Has anybody seen Sponge Harris?
« Reply #4344 on: February 15, 2016, 12:42:58 PM »
I dont have any degree or experience in footwear design, I'm sure i wouldnt stand a chance at working for Nike or any major company. I'm trying to find a smaller company to start my first steps (still waiting for Ous to get back to me), and i actually submited a new shoe design i made to this Pensole/Footlocker championship that is happening right now, could be a great way to get my work seen widely.

It's a shame that Nike hire people that dont know shit about skateboarding to design the shoes (and that they payment is that low). It's really hard to do a good job when you dont know in depth what you're dealing with. Designing skate shoes can be the hardest things for a shoe designer. Skateboarders are a extremely hard niche to pleasure. You need shoes that last a long time without being moon boots, that breathe well, that are flexible, and that perform great but look cool/casual because we are mostly broke and use them to go everywhere (we're also picky as fuck).
I know a guy form the UK that got a job at adidas and it's cool because he is in fact a skateboarder and knows his shit, so i'm sure he will make a good work there.

Designing a functional skate shoe, and designing a popular skate shoe, can be two totally different things. Nike hires plenty of people that know a lot about skateboarding. But I'm guessing the issue here with the Koston 3, is less about designing a skate shoe for skateboarders, and more about designing a skate "culture" shoe that will sell appeal to and sell to a broader audience.

And yes, I actually do miss the Zoom Tre AD and the E-cue.

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1085
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
« Reply #4345 on: February 15, 2016, 12:46:40 PM »
Official Look At The SPoT x Nike SB Dunk High Gasparilla

Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4346 on: February 15, 2016, 12:54:30 PM »
Those would have been so cool in like 2004.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #4347 on: February 15, 2016, 03:28:39 PM »

Designing a functional skate shoe, and designing a popular skate shoe, can be two totally different things. Nike hires plenty of people that know a lot about skateboarding. But I'm guessing the issue here with the Koston 3, is less about designing a skate shoe for skateboarders, and more about designing a skate "culture" shoe that will sell appeal to and sell to a broader audience.

And yes, I actually do miss the Zoom Tre AD and the E-cue.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I know that Nike has people that know a lot about skating, they cant be clueless about it. But sometimes it feels like they pick whatever designer they have in hands and tell him to draw skate shoes. When i go see the timeline work of Nike designers i always see something like "Nike Golf  from 2010 till 2013 - Nike Skateboarding from 2014 till now), they are always jumping ship from departments. Even if you have people saying you what you need to do is not the same as having the actual experience of skating i guess. 

Also i think this Koston 3 doesnt have what it takes to be huge success to a broader audience. It's too tech looking and too expensive. I'm looking forward to get them at some nike outlet tho!  :D

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #4348 on: February 15, 2016, 05:02:04 PM »
Nike SB Koston 3

Out March 1st. $150

Just wait.

What, aside from the sole unit on that looks solid? The zero padding upper? The pantyhose?

I hope Froston gets the worst sharkbite ever while skating in those.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 06:59:25 PM by Bubblegum Tate »

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -137
  • personal text
« Reply #4349 on: February 15, 2016, 06:30:18 PM »
those spot dunks just reminded me to find some dunks in a all black colorway