Author Topic: Post UPCOMING/RECENT NIKE SB shoe releases thread  (Read 2358903 times)

VCR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 193
Re: Post UPCOMING/RECENT NIKE SB shoe releases thread
« Reply #4290 on: February 13, 2016, 06:28:22 PM »
$150 for paper mache?

@thewilleasley

« Reply #4291 on: February 13, 2016, 06:33:30 PM »

Still Tippin

• Rep: -33
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4292 on: February 13, 2016, 07:01:24 PM »
Finally!! Been dying to see a actual pic of those. I have some mixed feelings tho. I like some forward thinking shoes, but i'm not sure if i like that design. Those look kinda like some kobe's, or even more the kyrie's. Althrough i'm 100% sure that sock thing will give a superb fitting shoe. 150$ is nuts tho, nobody will get those at that pricepoint. Expending that much in a shoe you're going to destroyer is dumb.
they really look like magistas and mercurials from the soccer line more than basketball shoes, but i see what you mean. probably an effort to get the koston 3 in the hands of sneakerheads more than skaters, as the high ankle/sock shit is pretty big right now. will definitely get a pair, but never full price, and not in that color. imagining a black and wolf grey colorway and getting hyped...

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #4293 on: February 13, 2016, 07:28:32 PM »
they really look like magistas and mercurials from the soccer line

Was just about to say the same. Nike is pushing that sock design in their new soccer line. I'd actually be down to give that shoe a try without the sock/extension. But as mentioned, there is zero point zero chance I'm buying those - or ANY sneaker, skate or otherwise - for $150. Not a chance in hell.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #4294 on: February 13, 2016, 07:37:40 PM »
I don't get it.. what type of, if any, sock are you supposed to wear with those?  Do you have to handwash the sock part every few sessions after they get sweaty and gross?

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #4296 on: February 14, 2016, 02:52:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Finally!! Been dying to see a actual pic of those. I have some mixed feelings tho. I like some forward thinking shoes, but i'm not sure if i like that design. Those look kinda like some kobe's, or even more the kyrie's. Althrough i'm 100% sure that sock thing will give a superb fitting shoe. 150$ is nuts tho, nobody will get those at that pricepoint. Expending that much in a shoe you're going to destroyer is dumb.
[close]
they really look like magistas and mercurials from the soccer line more than basketball shoes, but i see what you mean. probably an effort to get the koston 3 in the hands of sneakerheads more than skaters, as the high ankle/sock shit is pretty big right now. will definitely get a pair, but never full price, and not in that color. imagining a black and wolf grey colorway and getting hyped...

The soccer reference in that design is obvious for sure because of the sock thing but i think it stops there. From the collar to the bulkier outsole they really remind me of those basketball models. Looking again to the shoe, do i see flywire hidden behind the panels?!

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #4297 on: February 14, 2016, 06:35:56 AM »
Fucking lame, especially since his first shoe was so low-key minimal and just so subtly cool.
This is like the antithesis of that. I don't even hate the sock thing in theory, either, just not here.

Nike Koston 1's are possibly my favorite skate shoe, the ones I get complimented on the most by non-skaters (even my uber-stylish pot dealer wanted a pair), and (True Story) the only pair of shoes any crew of strangers on the street have ever tried to steal off my feet (that black pair with the silver swoosh, when they first came out) .

I'm not saying looks are the only thing that matters, but I don't see too many people getting robbed for Koston 3s

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #4298 on: February 14, 2016, 06:46:30 AM »
Fuck Koston. What a fucc boi.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

carbonite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
    • frozen in carbonite avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4299 on: February 14, 2016, 09:02:58 AM »
let's wait until we see the finished shoe...some addl achilles support might be nice (?)

victor doom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -15
  • "Have no fear of perfection, you'll never reach it
« Reply #4300 on: February 14, 2016, 10:01:27 AM »
I don't think the shoe design of the suede is that bad. The sock and the sole on it tho.............Real bad.

Sold Out

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 92
« Reply #4301 on: February 14, 2016, 12:53:35 PM »
I tried a pair on and they are really comfy and feel like they would skate super well. The sock gives a weird feeling of security. 

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #4302 on: February 14, 2016, 07:12:13 PM »
I tried a pair on and they are really comfy and feel like they would skate super well. The sock gives a weird feeling of security. 

i don't doubt this actually

i wonder how many pairs of the new P Rod shoe sold?  can't be many.  everyone was saying they were at the outlets.  you'd think they'd learn with these hyper expensive shoes

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #4303 on: February 14, 2016, 07:16:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i wonder how many pairs of the new P Rod shoe sold?  can't be many.  everyone was saying they were at the outlets.  you'd think they'd learn with these hyper expensive shoes

Oh, with this shoe they'll learn. I can already see them at Ross ad outlets. After promoting the shit out of them. Wouldn't be surprised if Nike makes a low tech and vulc version just like they did for Paul's shoe.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4304 on: February 14, 2016, 08:31:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Probably doesn't cost Nike as much to make tech skate shoes. Seems like if you want to be a top-tier SB account, you have to buy kicks like the P-Rod 9, Koston 3, etc...

They are pre-booked in advanced, don't know if there is a shop minimum to buy shoes like the Koston 3's. But once Nike takes the shop's money, then they are good from there.

Up to the consumer if they wanna drop $150+.
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

toque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
    • Portmanteau avatar image
« Reply #4305 on: February 14, 2016, 09:25:34 PM »
I like them

wheee!

StupidlyOriginal_SB

• Rep: -5
  • Fuck It.
« Reply #4306 on: February 14, 2016, 10:44:53 PM »
Nike SB Koston 3

Out March 1st. $150

Price is steeeeep, but you can hate all you want now, that shoe is actually a super solid skate shoe. The sock booty breathes really well, and the flick is on point.

Just wait.

ZEBRA

« Reply #4307 on: February 14, 2016, 11:46:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Nike SB Koston 3

Out March 1st. $150

[close]

Price is steeeeep, but you can hate all you want now, that shoe is actually a super solid skate shoe. The sock booty breathes really well, and the flick is on point.

Just wait.

Probably would breath better if there wasn't any booty at all.  ???

Hideous shoe by Koston. And $150?? Outta your mid!!! Don't see this shoe lasting too long. Or at least I don't see it becoming popular in skating.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 11:24:39 AM by Bubblegum Tate »

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #4308 on: February 14, 2016, 11:52:44 PM »
I spoke to a guy that works at Nike today. Asked him about the SB department and why they were doing such a shitty job. He told me the turn around from that department was super fucked and how no one wants to work there and how everyone that is just started. It's like the one department no one wants to be a part of. Sort of explains this Boston shoe cause I am sure some fucking sports designer got hired to do it.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #4309 on: February 15, 2016, 03:25:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Nike SB Koston 3

Out March 1st. $150

[close]

Just wait.
[close]

Probably would breath better if there wasn't any booty at all.  ???

Hideous shoe by Koston. And $150?? Outta your mid!!! Don't see this shoe lasting too long. Or at least I don't see it becoming popular in skating.

are we sure this isn't a case of the shoe with the sock booty costing $150 and then they'll release a cheaper version without it?

remember when Muska dropped that first C1rca shoe for about $130, but at the same time it was covered in more plastic than Legoland
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 11:24:43 AM by Bubblegum Tate »

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #4310 on: February 15, 2016, 03:33:52 AM »
I spoke to a guy that works at Nike today. Asked him about the SB department and why they were doing such a shitty job. He told me the turn around from that department was super fucked and how no one wants to work there and how everyone that is just started. It's like the one department no one wants to be a part of. Sort of explains this Boston shoe cause I am sure some fucking sports designer got hired to do it.
Damn, that's really interesting, and it explains a lot of things on the products. The marketing is top notch, but unless the dunks, the blazers, the bruins, and the janoskis, the rest of their current line is not interesting at all.

Stoop Kid 2.0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -312
  • I still fucking hate hipsters.
« Reply #4311 on: February 15, 2016, 03:42:44 AM »
That shoe has fuccboi written all over it.

frontsideindy

• Rep: -122
« Reply #4312 on: February 15, 2016, 04:17:54 AM »
That shoe has fuccboi written all over it.
IN BOLD TYPE

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #4313 on: February 15, 2016, 06:58:06 AM »

And I'm here full of ideas!  :'(

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

carbonite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
    • frozen in carbonite avatar image
« Reply #4314 on: February 15, 2016, 07:18:34 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

[faxes resume and cover letter to Beaverton]

sports

• Rep: 21
« Reply #4315 on: February 15, 2016, 08:04:26 AM »
Probably doesn't cost Nike as much to make tech skate shoes. Seems like if you want to be a top-tier SB account, you have to buy kicks like the P-Rod 9, Koston 3, etc...

They are pre-booked in advanced, don't know if there is a shop minimum to buy shoes like the Koston 3's. But once Nike takes the shop's money, then they are good from there.

that's fucked, forcing shops to take the loss for their overpriced flops. ouch

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #4316 on: February 15, 2016, 09:59:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think the hardest thing about working for Nike is your credibility. I think it's almost impossible to work there unless you have work history at competing companies or some sort of credibility in that industry whether it be skateboarding, basketball, etc. It kind of made sense how a lot of the people that helped color stuff in the original SB dunks were all the skaters like Richie Mulder and his Chocolate dunks, Gino dunk, Supa NYC colorway dunk, etc. Like I am sure Scott Johnston is a good designer but it helped that he was a skater and that is why he was able to go to Adidas rather than some other joe shmo that designs shoes. I hope Nike turns it around some day but for now, the SB department is run by some shit heads.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Lance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #4317 on: February 15, 2016, 10:44:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[faxes resume and cover letter to Beaverton]

I had a friend who got offered a job in that dept.  he said the pay was shit, especially for nike.  to move and live in Portland and work for Nike at the wage they were offering was almost an insult/couldn't afford to live there for the job.

Expand Quote

[close]

that's fucked, forcing shops to take the loss for their overpriced flops. ouch

Shops aren't forced to take anything they don't want from Nike.
Anyone else notice that Tony Parker is the Gino of basketball?

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
« Reply #4318 on: February 15, 2016, 11:21:03 AM »

This only works if the intent is to sell a single run of shoes. If the Koston 3 doesn't perform in sales (at the retail level), and they go into a sale pile...how many shops do you think will be reordering this shoe? Your prebooks for the next season are bound to drop this SKU from their wall if it doesn't move, just like any other massively expensive shoe that doesn't move. RIP Nike Zoom Tre AD.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #4319 on: February 15, 2016, 11:38:24 AM »
I dont have any degree or experience in footwear design, I'm sure i wouldnt stand a chance at working for Nike or any major company. I'm trying to find a smaller company to start my first steps (still waiting for Ous to get back to me), and i actually submited a new shoe design i made to this Pensole/Footlocker championship that is happening right now, could be a great way to get my work seen widely.

It's a shame that Nike hire people that dont know shit about skateboarding to design the shoes (and that they payment is that low). It's really hard to do a good job when you dont know in depth what you're dealing with. Designing skate shoes can be the hardest things for a shoe designer. Skateboarders are a extremely hard niche to pleasure. You need shoes that last a long time without being moon boots, that breathe well, that are flexible, and that perform great but look cool/casual because we are mostly broke and use them to go everywhere (we're also picky as fuck).
I know a guy form the UK that got a job at adidas and it's cool because he is in fact a skateboarder and knows his shit, so i'm sure he will make a good work there.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP