Author Topic: Sony Expected to announce PS4 Feb. 20th  (Read 3012 times)

Will Easley

Sony Expected to announce PS4 Feb. 20th
« on: February 06, 2013, 10:31:50 AM »
Like clockwork, a Tweet, Facebook post and blog message just went up simultaneously -- posted by PlayStation -- mysteriously teasing ?the future? of PlayStation. The date being teased? February 20th, 2013. What's being teased? We assume it's the PlayStation 4, but we don't know for sure.

We reached out to Sony about the nature of the meeting, and they cryptically told us this: "The PlayStation meeting will be about the future of the PlayStation business." The meeting will take place in New York City, and IGN PlayStation's Greg Miller and Colin Moriarty will be in attendance.

Unfortunately, this is all we know for certain right now: Sony's holding a major event in New York City, it's about PlayStation's future, it'll be on February 20th and IGN will be there.

Here's the teaser

#Playstation2013

The whole industry is BUZZING with the expected console reveal. After the longest console generation in video game history with the 360 & PS3 reaching their peak as to what the hardware can actually do, I say its about time for some next gen consoles. If its as big a jump as the PS2 to PS3 was then we're in for some reallllllly good games.

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Sony Expected to announce PS4 Feb. 20th
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 11:35:14 AM »
ugh come on I just bought a ps3

dillanharp

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 01:54:00 PM »
Cool, I'll get one in 4 years when the price gets cut in half.

landCow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 01:55:00 PM »
ugh come on I just bought a ps3

haha I just replaced my broken one........ I won't buy one at launch anyway. It'll probably be to expensive and there are ALWAYS problems at launch. I'll wait a bit.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 03:13:28 PM »
I'll wait for the PS7

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 03:13:59 PM »
probably just get the new xbox instead, just like last time

frisco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 07:06:20 PM »
As long as they continue to offer FREE online services I'll get a PS4, but after the launch buzz and bugs die down.

Sonys exclusives, God of War, Uncharted, Little Big Planet are too good no to

This is coming from an Xbox owner

Morty Seinfeld

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 08:32:02 PM »
I'll opt for an NES

Dontfearthereefer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -232
  • Head kook
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 08:55:15 PM »
As long as they continue to offer FREE online services I'll get a PS4, but after the launch buzz and bugs die down.

Sonys exclusives, God of War, Uncharted, Little Big Planet are too good no to

This is coming from an Xbox owner

saucy ragu

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 514
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 09:04:13 PM »
That teaser had some PS2 graphics.
Quote from: brent
sorrymom, when 112 sing to you what kinda feelin do it bring to you?

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 09:08:47 PM »
Right as I'm about to make the leap to PC gaming.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 09:17:28 PM »
...but I'm still content with my PS3.
"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

MuchasGracias

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -140
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 09:24:25 PM »

Will Easley

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 12:34:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Multiple rumors in the US & Japan have been going around that itll start at $400.

That teaser had some PS2 graphics.

Not to be a prick but thats simply not even close. I got the God of War collection that comes with the first game from ps2 remastered in HD, and that shit looked horrendous. Its crazy when you look back at it because back then the shit was actually really good, but after 6-7 years of this console generation you cant really imagine playing "really good graphics" of older consoles.

Anyways while im on the subject of graphics, here are some examples of game engines that're in development for the next gen consoles. Photo-realistic will be the new standard

Future of Game Graphics: VFX Tech Demo
Next Generation Graphics (HD)

Agnis Philosophy Final Fantasy Real Time Tech Demo E3 2012 [HD]

« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 12:37:46 PM by Will Easley »

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -133
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 06:07:09 PM »
if this is a new ps4 I'll be fecked off, I only got my PS3 last April, and Resident Evil 6!
I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

Will Easley

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2013, 09:03:03 PM »
Prototype controllers for the new console. The first one is confirmed to be an early prototype while the second one is a supposed more recent version. That thing is the middle is a touchpad similar to the one on the vita, although some reports indicate that thats actually a touch screen w/ the vita touchpad on the back. The light at the top is used for Playstation Move motion controls.

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2013, 09:30:48 PM »

True

era

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2013, 08:19:37 AM »
FALLOUT 4, FALLOUT 4, FALLOUT 4, FALLOUT 4!!!

frisco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2013, 02:20:24 PM »
Prototype controllers for the new console. The first one is confirmed to be an early prototype while the second one is a supposed more recent version. That thing is the middle is a touchpad similar to the one on the vita, although some reports indicate that thats actually a touch screen w/ the vita touchpad on the back. The light at the top is used for Playstation Move motion controls.

If it aint broke dont fix it. I like the new shit they're implementing while still keeping relatively the same design.

Im still not convinced PS Move will catch on for the core gamer crowd. I have it and rarely use it, only for shooters like House of the Dead

Will Easley

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2013, 04:24:21 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If it aint broke dont fix it. I like the new shit they're implementing while still keeping relatively the same design.

Im still not convinced PS Move will catch on for the core gamer crowd. I have it and rarely use it, only for shooters like House of the Dead

Im still wondering how exactly they would implement PS Move controls with the actual controller instead of some other peripheral. I just cant imagine waving around a full fledged controller & The Sixaxis shit used in the current PS3 control is basically the same motion controls, as far as tilting it in different directions & things like that are concerned. There was a Sony patent that got filed a few months back that was a controller with biometric sensors on it, so maybe there's more to the PS Move part of the controller. I really like the more recent prototype & the new edges around the joysticks. Still waiting to see the back of the controller due to rumors of spring loaded triggers for the L2/R2 buttons. Guess well find out in about 5 days

brianwilson

• Rep: -35
    • Flickr avatar image
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2013, 02:17:43 PM »
I am excited as well for the new generation. Playstation as a whole is what I've grown up on. I have gotten a 360 two years ago because I could play with my friends. I miss the playstation exclusives. Sly cooper, uncharted, journey, ni no kuni. I hope to get a ps3 soon to play all those exclusives before next gen. Not to mention, The Last of Us.

I think we can all agree that the new Xbox will be similar with the hardware. Since the new consoles are turning into gaming pc's.

_aminal

• Rep: -8
  • win some, lose most.
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2013, 04:18:45 PM »

and the games are sicker

Ed's impossibles are like gonzs kickflips....

landCow

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2013, 10:34:23 PM »

YES!

Also I'm surprised the Ps Move is still relevant at all.

Will Easley

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2013, 10:44:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

YES!

Move was whack on ps3 but at this point each console is gonna need their own form of motion control just they can keep up with the rest competition. With wii u & kinect being pushed so hard if Sony didn't implement some type of motion controls they mighta lost some of casual market. It'll be interesting to see what they do this time around.

Fallout 4 will be epic. The guy who did the voice for Three Dog posted some shit on twitter a while about doing some more work for fallout, so they seem to already have something in the works

landCow

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2013, 02:59:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

YES!

[close]

Move was whack on ps3 but at this point each console is gonna need their own form of motion control just they can keep up with the rest competition. With wii u & kinect being pushed so hard if Sony didn't implement some type of motion controls they mighta lost some of casual market. It'll be interesting to see what they do this time around.

yeah you make a good a point. If one has it they all need it, its just that Move felt like it fizzled out bigtime. Well more than Wii and Kinect at least. It Doesn't matter much to me anyway I'm not a fan of motion controls.

Anyways the announcement is pretty close...

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2013, 10:48:54 AM »
Never bought into the PS3.  Last Sony gaming console I bought was the PSP slim so I could hack it.  I have an Xbox 360 and that's good enough for me.  I like to play with kinect games with my kids more than any other games so if PS4 can do that better, I might consider it.

Will Easley

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2013, 02:21:37 PM »
IGN's doing a live stream of the Playstation Conference at 6pm Eastern (about a half hour from now)

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/14/watch-the-220-playstation-event-on-ign

Will Easley

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2013, 09:09:08 PM »

Watched the live stream of the song event & i gotta say they set the bar pretty damn high. dont have all the time in the world for some elborate posts but ill list some notable features of the console & post links for everything else. They revealed the final version of the controller, release window (holiday season this year), a ton of games & system specs but not the price or actual console design (most likely saving that until E3)

Notable features:

8gb unified RAM (compared to ps3's 500mb RAM split between graphics & task management)
share button on the controller for instant video recording/sharing
cloud-based game streaming most noticeably used for (eventually) playing all games from the PS1-3 library
ability to partially download games, start playing them, and have the download finish up as you play.
Remote play thru either the PS Vita and (eventually) popular tablets/mobile devices.

heres those links:

General Console info:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/21/sony-details-playstation-4-processing-specs-dualshock-4-and-eye

New Controller Comparison:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/21/whats-new-with-sonys-dualshock-4

Confirmed games:
http://www.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/Games

Last but not least, heres actual gameplay footage from the new Killzone game for PS4

Killzone: Shadow Fall Revealed

foureyedjim

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2013, 11:05:12 PM »
I think it's pretty cool and all, but given my current PC rig, I can just crossfire (dual graphics card) for about 300 bucks to surpass consoles for a very very long time.

Maybe once some more enticing ps4 exclusive titles come out and the price drops I'll give in, but at the moment i'll pass

cool features though

The Donger

• Rep: -63
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2013, 12:04:05 AM »
Just got a Vita like 4 months ago,  can't wait for the remote play