Author Topic: unpopular opinions thread - music edition  (Read 24593 times)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Re: unpopular opinions thread - music edition
« Reply #720 on: July 09, 2023, 05:52:02 AM »
Pop punk is actually a really good genre
Fight me!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

concrete eater 1000

• Rep: -13
« Reply #721 on: July 10, 2023, 09:29:39 PM »
Fight me!

there are way more bad pop punk bands than good ones imo, and a lot of the good ones became insufferable. that being said, when pop punk is good, it's really good. the early blink-182 and green day albums are so good.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #722 on: July 10, 2023, 11:31:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Fight me!
[close]

there are way more bad pop punk bands than good ones imo, and a lot of the good ones became insufferable. that being said, when pop punk is good, it's really good. the early blink-182 and green day albums are so good.
I should have defined pop punk a bit more, but yeah Cheshire Cat and smoothed out/ kerplunk are great albums. I’m into most mid 90s stuff, but don’t simply worship all fat/ epitaph releases, as you said there’s a lot to sift through… faves at the moment (actually since I was a teen) are satanic surfers and 88 fingers Louie. Propagandhi will always be my fav band, but they’ve moved beyond anything that could be called pop punk these days! Pop punk also includes bands from the more DIY side of things including some other faves like FYP, Horace pinker, lethaerface and Cigaretteman from Japan. I guess I should probably say I like melodic hardcore, but that sounds cheesy too *shrugs*
« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 09:53:02 PM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #723 on: July 13, 2023, 08:03:27 AM »
Fight me!

I kinda wish there could be a divide. There are a lot of really good punk bands that are melodic and have good pop sensibility in their songwriting, then there are pop punk bands that are super overproduced, formulaic, and cheesy. But bands of both categories will be lumped together as "pop punk".

I really love "pop" punk, but I don't care much for pop punk.

Mr. Pickles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 39
« Reply #724 on: July 13, 2023, 08:38:19 AM »
All of the Green Day albums through Nimrod are incredible. Enough time has passed from the “we’ll never sell out” claim.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #725 on: July 13, 2023, 08:58:58 AM »
All of the Green Day albums through Nimrod are incredible. Enough time has passed from the “we’ll never sell out” claim.

Insomniac is a definite sleeper (haha), it obviously paled in comparison to Dookie and the impact it had but there are some great tracks on that second major label release. I'm also in the small percentage of people that loved Warning.

Y'all fuck with MXPX? Think people write them of because they're a loose 'christian' band (tooth and nail records, etc) and can be a bit heavy on the *pop* side but their early releases are great. 'Life in General' was one of my favorite records growing up.

http://youtu.be/io8rbKG1aZo

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 191
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #726 on: July 14, 2023, 01:50:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Insomniac is a definite sleeper (haha), it obviously paled in comparison to Dookie and the impact it had but there are some great tracks on that second major label release. I'm also in the small percentage of people that loved Warning.

Insomniac is great; Dookie is good as a whole album, more focused and consistent, but the highlights on Insomniac are way better, imo. Brain Stew/(Jaded) is an awesome single, despite being the same riff for the whole song. Brat, 86, Geek Stink Breath, all kick ass. Panic Song is one where the intro could keep going on and on and I would still love it.

Is Deftones just sexy Tool? I recently started listening to them never really picking them up before and I'm kinda torn if I like them or not. They have some good tracks for sure (Passenger, Rocket Skates, Diamond Eyes, etc.) but the overall sound doesn't really catch me for some reason.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #727 on: July 14, 2023, 09:51:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Y'all fuck with MXPX? Think people write them of because they're a loose 'christian' band (tooth and nail records, etc) and can be a bit heavy on the *pop* side but their early releases are great. 'Life in General' was one of my favorite records growing up.

http://youtu.be/io8rbKG1aZo
never really got into, though I've heard them on comps etc.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #728 on: July 15, 2023, 02:28:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Fight me!
[close]

I kinda wish there could be a divide. There are a lot of really good punk bands that are melodic and have good pop sensibility in their songwriting, then there are pop punk bands that are super overproduced, formulaic, and cheesy. But bands of both categories will be lumped together as "pop punk".

I really love "pop" punk, but I don't care much for pop punk.

Yeah I'd agree with this. 

For my money the best "pop" punk band is the Buzzcocks.  Punk rock played with pop hooks. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMXbjhw-nI4

Same with the Undertones and Protex. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ati6KaEDA1g

This stuff veers into Powerpop territory but keeps that punk energy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2tI65LFqXg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwpGy8g54Ew

As far as 90's stuff, I really think early Green Day was the best at this.  Maybe the Queers first few albums.  Hickey was a great band.

As far as the Epitaph (and similar) stuff, no thanks.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #729 on: July 18, 2023, 08:28:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Insomniac is great; Dookie is good as a whole album, more focused and consistent, but the highlights on Insomniac are way better, imo. Brain Stew/(Jaded) is an awesome single, despite being the same riff for the whole song. Brat, 86, Geek Stink Breath, all kick ass. Panic Song is one where the intro could keep going on and on and I would still love it.

Is Deftones just sexy Tool? I recently started listening to them never really picking them up before and I'm kinda torn if I like them or not. They have some good tracks for sure (Passenger, Rocket Skates, Diamond Eyes, etc.) but the overall sound doesn't really catch me for some reason.

@Necktie.w.t.d. i was a huge fan of deftones when they first came out. they were like guns and roses of rap metal, like the one band in a shitty genre that doesn't suck. these days i prefer tool to deftones. the rap metal vibes throw off deftones better tracks for me from being able to revist them now while i feel that tool never really leaned into any gimicks and so their songs are more timeless for me. but i've accepted that tool is for me what rush was for the older stoners than me growing up. they all get and love it but you probably had to be there. on the flip side my daughter really likes deftones so it's cool to share that with her. fuck it gonna blast white pony today 🤙

for deftones, this track is pretty cool. i'm a huge cure fan and this cover was fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BfRTNrQma4

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #730 on: July 18, 2023, 10:28:22 AM »
Don't know if this has been discussed, but I like Sublime with Rome way more than Sublime with Brad. I wouldn't say I "like" the band in any of it's forms, but the newer stuff is much easier to listen to than the stuff from the 90s.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #731 on: July 18, 2023, 10:34:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

@Necktie.w.t.d. i was a huge fan of deftones when they first came out. they were like guns and roses of rap metal, like the one band in a shitty genre that doesn't suck. these days i prefer tool to deftones. the rap metal vibes throw off deftones better tracks for me from being able to revist them now while i feel that tool never really leaned into any gimicks and so their songs are more timeless for me. but i've accepted that tool is for me what rush was for the older stoners than me growing up. they all get and love it but you probably had to be there. on the flip side my daughter really likes deftones so it's cool to share that with her. fuck it gonna blast white pony today 🤙

for deftones, this track is pretty cool. i'm a huge cure fan and this cover was fantastic.

I've come to the realization that I'm not into their mellower songs, and I only can fuck with the lusty-whisper singing for so long. Chino's screams are something else for sure, and when the track hits, IT HITS.

Tool is definitely more diverse and... polished? (for lack of a better term) I personally kinda blew them out for myself. I still like their sound, but I'm giving myself some time away to come back and re-appreciate their ingenuity.

Aside/Kinda cringe - I was on the drums in a "screamo" band in high school, and the bandmates intro'd me to 2000's/2010's metalcore (not my favorite genre to listen to, but had a fucking blast playing BFMV, BMTH, Warped Tour type shit, etc....). Almost all those bands reference Deftones as an influence, so it's kinda funny to me how I missed them when I was in that scene

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #732 on: July 18, 2023, 12:02:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I've come to the realization that I'm not into their mellower songs, and I only can fuck with the lusty-whisper singing for so long. Chino's screams are something else for sure, and when the track hits, IT HITS.

Tool is definitely more diverse and... polished? (for lack of a better term) I personally kinda blew them out for myself. I still like their sound, but I'm giving myself some time away to come back and re-appreciate their ingenuity.

Aside/Kinda cringe - I was on the drums in a "screamo" band in high school, and the bandmates intro'd me to 2000's/2010's metalcore (not my favorite genre to listen to, but had a fucking blast playing BFMV, BMTH, Warped Tour type shit, etc....). Almost all those bands reference Deftones as an influence, so it's kinda funny to me how I missed them when I was in that scene

it's funny, i feel there's a lot of bands that get ruined by the people that were influenced by them. a good example for me is alice in chains, before their radio hits i thought they were cool to me and my friends and then years later you have one of the worst genres ever, modern rock, full of music with band imitating them. same with rage and rap metal for me.

for tool, they are one of the few bands where i listen to the newer stuff more than the early stuff. they are an entirely different band these days and i noticed a lot of core fans don't like their new stuff but its mostly what i listen too now. they've also become a band that is really all about the drummer. maynard is in the back in the dark now and danny is kind of front and center. this clip kind of sums up what i dig about them now. it's definitely just a band that i have a long history with and enjoy regardless of the fact that for 20 years every cornball in town had a tool sticker on their truck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FssULNGSZIA

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #733 on: July 18, 2023, 01:25:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

it's funny, i feel there's a lot of bands that get ruined by the people that were influenced by them. a good example for me is alice in chains, before their radio hits i thought they were cool to me and my friends and then years later you have one of the worst genres ever, modern rock, full of music with band imitating them. same with rage and rap metal for me.

for tool, they are one of the few bands where i listen to the newer stuff more than the early stuff. they are an entirely different band these days and i noticed a lot of core fans don't like their new stuff but its mostly what i listen too now. they've also become a band that is really all about the drummer. maynard is in the back in the dark now and danny is kind of front and center. this clip kind of sums up what i dig about them now. it's definitely just a band that i have a long history with and enjoy regardless of the fact that for 20 years every cornball in town had a tool sticker on their truck.

Danny Carey is insane on the kit, trying to learn any Tool song on drums is a literal boss battle. Odd-time sigs, switching time sigs, hella melodic rhythms, polyrhythms, like.. good luck. I think of The Grudge or Triad and just how nutty his beats are, super tight and flowy but holding it down all day. Dude's wild.

Tool has this thing where each member gets their due - Schism, Disposition and 46 & Two for that bass lead, Vicarious, Aenima, and Prison Sex for guitar riffage, and the vocals on The Pot and Stinkfist are killer.

I gotta revisit their latest album, seemed kinda wander-y when I was first listening through it, but its worth another shot.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #734 on: July 18, 2023, 02:14:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Danny Carey is insane on the kit, trying to learn any Tool song on drums is a literal boss battle. Odd-time sigs, switching time sigs, hella melodic rhythms, polyrhythms, like.. good luck. I think of The Grudge or Triad and just how nutty his beats are, super tight and flowy but holding it down all day. Dude's wild.

Tool has this thing where each member gets their due - Schism, Disposition and 46 & Two for that bass lead, Vicarious, Aenima, and Prison Sex for guitar riffage, and the vocals on The Pot and Stinkfist are killer.

I gotta revisit their latest album, seemed kinda wander-y when I was first listening through it, but its worth another shot.

that's a really interesting point about the changing emphasis and that's kind of what i was getting at with their not the same band they used to be. i think invincible and pneuma are definitely worth checking out IMHO on the new album.

DakotaRed

• Rep: 22
« Reply #735 on: September 22, 2023, 06:15:09 PM »
Combat Rock is The Clash's best album.

pool coping

• Rep: -63
« Reply #736 on: September 22, 2023, 07:21:05 PM »
Combat Rock is The Clash's best album.