Author Topic: Vinyl Records  (Read 132088 times)

somethingmustbreaknow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 489
Re: Vinyl Records
« Reply #510 on: July 08, 2018, 11:53:53 PM »
circle takes the square - decompositions

early birthday gift from the girlfriend
sick. i am still regretting that i did not get
the decompositions and the as the roots
undo when i saw them couple years ago.

LB

• Rep: 57
« Reply #511 on: July 11, 2018, 04:59:00 AM »
got a makaton and inigo kennedy ep on rodz konez the other day

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #512 on: July 15, 2018, 06:00:45 PM »
Got this one yesterday, it's great.

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
« Reply #513 on: July 28, 2018, 07:25:46 PM »
Sleep Dopesmoker
Melvins Boris
Nine Inch Nails Pretty Hate Machine
Gza/Genius Liquid Swords

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #514 on: July 28, 2018, 08:35:34 PM »
Unknown Mortal Orchestra - II

It's excellent.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -114
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #515 on: August 17, 2018, 04:24:25 PM »
Went to Vinyl Conflict and Static Age on a little vacation I just had. Purchased Bryan Ferry's The Bride Stripped Bare, The Cowboy Self Titled, Hengebeat by Total Control, and Manifest Decimation by Power Trip. Needless to say I am pleased.

Then today I preordered the new album by Aussie geniuses, Terry.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 489
« Reply #516 on: December 17, 2018, 01:50:39 AM »
bought some stuff at some fleamarkets:
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 01:54:14 AM by somethingmustbreaknow »

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
« Reply #517 on: January 21, 2019, 01:22:38 PM »
Bumping because I just spent too much money at a record convention and I have to tell people about it.

Pretty hyped on the haul. The Minor Threat record is an unofficial live album for when they were testing material for Out Of Step. I have all of their official releases (including their demos) so I was pretty hyped to find something I wasn't aware existed.

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1227
« Reply #518 on: January 21, 2019, 04:56:12 PM »
dope
do tell more about the convention, ive never heard of one of those before

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #519 on: January 21, 2019, 06:58:50 PM »
I think they do it annually, but basically it was just a bunch of vendors and dealers settting up tables in a banquet hall selling a bunch of records. You have to pay a small cover which I was reluctant to do, as most of the tables are just overpriced “vintage” albums that I can buy new for a fraction of the price. But some of them come with some real gems that ya can’t find elsewhere, so this time I definitely struck gold. According to the back of the Minor Threat record only like 500 of them exist.

Not sure how common these conventions are elsewhere, because I also live in a city where there are like 5 pretty good record stores all within a mile or two of each other, so there’s definitely a small scene for it.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 07:00:43 PM by the_unknown_soldier »

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1208
« Reply #520 on: January 21, 2019, 07:15:20 PM »
I think they do it annually, but basically it was just a bunch of vendors and dealers settting up tables in a banquet hall selling a bunch of records. You have to pay a small cover which I was reluctant to do, as most of the tables are just overpriced “vintage” albums that I can buy new for a fraction of the price. But some of them come with some real gems that ya can’t find elsewhere, so this time I definitely struck gold. According to the back of the Minor Threat record only like 500 of them exist.

Not sure how common these conventions are elsewhere, because I also live in a city where there are like 5 pretty good record stores all within a mile or two of each other, so there’s definitely a small scene for it.

There is a yearly one in my city as well. It's a lot of old dudes running around looking for original pressings of Pink Floyd and Beatles albums and the like, but if you spend the time and dig around you can find some good stuff. I've found a few decent Hardcore records... I always like looking at the weird random things some vendors will bring along. Old promo items and stuff.
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
« Reply #521 on: January 22, 2019, 05:41:07 AM »

I've actually got the opposite approach.....I mean I never buy new records of old shit. IMHO the old pressings blow the new ones out of the water, cause usually the modern pressings are done with the digital master that dates back from CD remasters, and not from the original analog master. I once did an A/B comparison with a Digital Underground original and repressing and it was pretty clear! and I don't know about the US but here in Europe the new pressings are expensive. Like 20 to 30 euros. so 25 to 35 bucks.
To avoid overpriced stuff I just comb the crates that are not ordered/classified....which means I never go looking for a particular record, but rather buy what I find. half the fun hey.

oh and that Ramones Live album!! I think I was 14 when I bought that haha....Still my favorite Ramones LP!

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #522 on: January 22, 2019, 07:12:19 AM »
I mean, if I do find an old pressing of something I like I’ll usually get it provided it’s in okay condition. I just think a lot of times people assume their stuff is way more rare than it is. Like, unless it’s first pressing or something I don’t get why people try and charge 50+ dollars for something that’s super accessible and available everywhere. It’s cool to have something of a relic, but it’s not THAT cool to me.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #523 on: January 22, 2019, 08:26:42 AM »
I mean, if I do find an old pressing of something I like I’ll usually get it provided it’s in okay condition. I just think a lot of times people assume their stuff is way more rare than it is. Like, unless it’s first pressing or something I don’t get why people try and charge 50+ dollars for something that’s super accessible and available everywhere. It’s cool to have something of a relic, but it’s not THAT cool to me.

yup times have changed........and prices have gone up.
I usually don't go over 15/20 euros for an LP. Most of the stuff I get is like 5 to 10. but I guess if people charge outrageous prices it's because some people fall for it!

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1227
« Reply #524 on: January 22, 2019, 08:30:24 AM »
well i just found out theres a record convention coming to my neck of the woods in march
simple internet search and poof

but yeah i side with frenchie on the og copies

i love thinking about how 40-50 years ago some person was spinning the same records and it traveled that long and far to my hands, the history!

my pops would initial all his records on the sleeve

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #525 on: January 22, 2019, 11:19:28 AM »
I should also mention that the majority of my record collection are modern releases. Most of the classics that I own are older pressings, save for a few specific represses that I never see elsewhere. But the few remasters that I have sound good as hell so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -114
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #526 on: January 22, 2019, 06:46:50 PM »
Bought the Terry 7" of Eight Girls. Good price from Skeletondust Records.

hangontoyourego

« Reply #527 on: January 22, 2019, 09:30:58 PM »
Bumping because I just spent too much money at a record convention and I have to tell people about it.

that minor threat is rad ! how’s it sound ? i’d love to hear so now i’m checking discogs  for it .

Pretty hyped on the haul. The Minor Threat record is an unofficial live album for when they were testing material for Out Of Step. I have all of their official releases (including their demos) so I was pretty hyped to find something I wasn't aware existed.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #528 on: January 23, 2019, 01:55:51 AM »
fun tidbit about that repress vs originals thing: I talked about it with a guy running a vinyl shop in Paris (Crocodisc, that's where I did the A/B comparison with the Digital Underground LP) and he told me to him the only record worth buying repressed was Cypress Hill's first album.
Cause apparently for the original release, they had done a single vinyl, instead of a double, to save some money, but the album was a bit too long for that...and as a result the grooves of the record were too small to sound good!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 02:00:47 AM by OldieButFrenchie »

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #529 on: January 23, 2019, 07:53:47 AM »
Expand Quote

that minor threat is rad ! how’s it sound ? i’d love to hear so now i’m checking discogs  for it .

[close]

Quality wise it sounds great. Lots of goofy banter from a band who I always perceived to be pretty srys bznss.

Upon doing a little digging I found a recording of the same show online:

doublesteveburger

« Reply #530 on: January 23, 2019, 08:22:54 AM »
I’m about an hour away from Ameoba records now so I’ll be making a trip soon. My latest purchases aren’t anything to write home about (IDLSIDGO by Earl, Violence Violence by Ceremony and Everybody’s Coming Down by The Good Life) but I’m excited to spend this next check on music.

That Minor Threat record is such a good find!

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #531 on: January 23, 2019, 08:26:07 AM »
What are you pals using to play your vinyls

I got a portable vestax ....the needle kind of sucks but its sounds great

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #532 on: January 23, 2019, 03:35:43 PM »
I'm running a Kenwood automatic turntable with a Pioneer receiver. It sounds great and the auto arm is pretty nifty even though it will read some LPs as 7 inches. Got some Acoustic speakers that are small, but definitely pack a punch. I used to have them right up against the player but just recently spread them apart occupy the opposite sides of my entertainment center (about six feet) and it's a vast improvement.
Pardon the dust.

Featured is what may be my favorite record I own, Bomb The Music Industry's "Vacation". They've been my favorite band for a decade and I saw them numerous times, including their last show ever. Bought this directly from them from what was their last tour.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #533 on: January 23, 2019, 04:42:14 PM »
So jealous of your pressing/YIWC sticker although I’m quite fond of my sunshine splatter variant.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #534 on: January 23, 2019, 05:34:50 PM »
Is that the orange and pink one? Cuz that's a real pretty record. I'm a sucker for wild color variants.

hangontoyourego

« Reply #535 on: January 25, 2019, 08:57:38 AM »
best image hosting

just ordered these from victory records . wish i got to see them in LA

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 92
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #536 on: January 26, 2019, 06:31:09 PM »
Backing those Snapcase records. Damn.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

burn_to_live

• Rep: -26
  • You had to be there.
« Reply #537 on: February 01, 2019, 08:33:46 AM »

When my old Sony took a dump, I bought this.

Its good for the price.
Gonna go down to the Bronx and hang out with the gonx

Hobochilli

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 314
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #538 on: February 03, 2019, 12:50:30 PM »

I have a Rega p2, a great player for a decent price.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #539 on: February 04, 2019, 09:54:55 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT-LP120-USB-Direct-Drive-Professional-USB/dp/B002S1CJ2Q

Can't go wrong with the AT-120. Or try to find something from the 70s or 80s in good condition.