Author Topic: Vinyl Records  (Read 131831 times)

DeputyDoses

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
  • I look like Mel Gibson
Re: Vinyl Records
« Reply #210 on: October 30, 2013, 03:32:53 PM »
^^^^
Buying records is an all consuming hobby/addiction that I absolutely love participating in and exposing people do.
It's so much like skateboarding in that idea of wanting to get others into it and becoming so enveloped in it.

Big ups on Warsaw and the Cramps LP

I don't know what the fuck I would do if I heard anyone DJ warsaw.

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #211 on: October 30, 2013, 04:58:54 PM »
also big up on skinhead moonstomp.

Man

« Reply #212 on: October 30, 2013, 11:21:53 PM »

Greg Road

« Reply #213 on: November 03, 2013, 12:12:10 AM »
what s your #1 most sought after vinyl record?

Mine is Weakilng Dead as Dreams ... I can't fork out $300+ for it online and will probably never find it in stores anywhere. I always look - even though if it showed in some record store I'm sure the people working there would hold on to it. Sucks. I got one of the first cd issues though woo! Meh. I'd trade all my shitty vinyl for that album.

Man

« Reply #214 on: November 03, 2013, 02:52:45 AM »

Mine is Weakilng Dead as Dreams ... I can't fork out $300+ for it online and will probably never find it in stores anywhere. I always look - even though if it showed in some record store I'm sure the people working there would hold on to it. Sucks. I got one of the first cd issues though woo! Meh. I'd trade all my shitty vinyl for that album.
Tapeworm - Break My Face 7" on Hermaphrodite Records or Big Boys - Frat Cars 7" Big Boys Records

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #215 on: November 05, 2013, 03:46:29 PM »

DeputyDoses

• I look like Mel Gibson
« Reply #216 on: November 11, 2013, 12:30:48 AM »

It changes based on my mood, but as a whole --- the first UK pressing of Pink Floyd's 1967 debut album Piper at the Gates of Dawn.

As for right now, Deerhunter's first LP and Aesop Rock's Float.

pica

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #217 on: November 11, 2013, 06:22:31 PM »

not really a single record, but i' love to own this thing:
 all toten hosen records on vinyl in a singned wood box...

« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 06:24:09 PM by pica »

La Nouvelle Vague

« Reply #218 on: November 13, 2013, 01:27:40 PM »

Rusty Shackleford

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
  • you know about goretex?
« Reply #219 on: November 14, 2013, 03:01:00 PM »
3D cover holland press

ShihtzuEnthusiast

• Rep: 5
« Reply #220 on: November 16, 2013, 04:48:23 PM »
Just bought this reissue today.

I've been wanting to get into vinyl for a while, and this is a good place to start.
(I still don't have a record player yet, but it'd be a mistake to not buy this)

Steyv Seynystyr hyhy

• Rep: -3
« Reply #221 on: November 17, 2013, 10:39:03 AM »
got this today:

its so fuckin chill  

also got this recently:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 10:40:45 AM by Steyv Seynystyr hyhy »

pica

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #222 on: November 18, 2013, 03:37:09 PM »

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
« Reply #223 on: November 19, 2013, 05:38:42 AM »
*amazing music*

goddamn i wanna drink 2 doppler sbudget wine on the floor and then sing along to your collection.

pica

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #224 on: November 19, 2013, 03:10:01 PM »
Expand Quote
*amazing music*
[close]

goddamn i wanna drink 2 doppler sbudget wine on the floor and then sing along to your collection.
whenever you're in town.

DeputyDoses

• I look like Mel Gibson
« Reply #225 on: November 20, 2013, 12:55:09 AM »
3D cover holland press

Beautiful copy too.
I only seem to find shit copies of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath around here...

Man

« Reply #226 on: November 21, 2013, 08:37:34 PM »

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #227 on: November 22, 2013, 08:18:45 AM »
i have a few vinyl questions. i plan on getting my girlfriend a turntable for christmas and im looking for suggestions and input on what to get. ive just checked on amazon and i think the ones that come with a usb and allow for digital conversion are pretty cool, because that way if we buy a record we can convert it for our phones or computers. my dad also has an old technics one i think. its covered in dust and definitely hasnt been used in over 20 years. it has the plastic hood on it, so i dont think the inside is dirty. the thing with that one is im probably going to have to find an old stereo receiver and some speakers for it, but that might cost around the same as buying a new turn table. im predicting that this is going to be more of a novelty hobby than something we get super serious about, so im not looking to spend a boat load of money. maybe $150 max, but more in the range of $75-100. do you guys have any suggestions?

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #228 on: November 22, 2013, 10:09:52 AM »
i have a few vinyl questions. i plan on getting my girlfriend a turntable for christmas and im looking for suggestions and input on what to get. ive just checked on amazon and i think the ones that come with a usb and allow for digital conversion are pretty cool, because that way if we buy a record we can convert it for our phones or computers. my dad also has an old technics one i think. its covered in dust and definitely hasnt been used in over 20 years. it has the plastic hood on it, so i dont think the inside is dirty. the thing with that one is im probably going to have to find an old stereo receiver and some speakers for it, but that might cost around the same as buying a new turn table. im predicting that this is going to be more of a novelty hobby than something we get super serious about, so im not looking to spend a boat load of money. maybe $150 max, but more in the range of $75-100. do you guys have any suggestions?

well in my opinion, i'd say go with your dad's Technics.  those things are built like tanks, and will last FOREVER.  do you know if it is a belt drive turn table (most technics are).  if so... the only maintenance you would need is to change the belt, which is easy as hell and is usallly cheap.  a new needle/stylus should cost you 25 to 30 bucks.

if you have a picture of it or know the model i could give you some more input and send you some helpful links.

you don't necessarily need to find an old receiver to hook up an old turntable, you just have to make sure whatever receiver you are using has a turntable input (not an auxillary input).  70's receivers are the best anyways, they're cheap used.

if you don't want to deal with all that stuff then you can get a decent record player with USB connection for cheap these days... unless you're a record nerd/audiophile you can get one for probably 50 bucks.

Expand Quote
[close]

hands down The Shitlickers "Cracked Cop Skulls" 7', which in my humble opinion is the GREATEST punk record EVER MADE. 
The Shitlickers - Cracked Cop Skulls (1982)

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #229 on: November 22, 2013, 02:01:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
if you have a picture of it or know the model i could give you some more input and send you some helpful links.

thanks bea! i appreciate it. ill get a picture of it next time i go over to my parents place.

ive been looking at some crosleys online. are they any good? i know my girlfriend would like one of those just for that retro look.

pica

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #230 on: November 24, 2013, 08:43:08 PM »

DeputyDoses

• I look like Mel Gibson
« Reply #231 on: November 28, 2013, 04:23:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

thanks bea! i appreciate it. ill get a picture of it next time i go over to my parents place.

ive been looking at some crosleys online. are they any good? i know my girlfriend would like one of those just for that retro look.
I have a Crosley all-in-one system and it's decent. It's nothing spectacular, but it was only $100.
I'd recommend that as a starter system or gift. The only bad thing about all-in-one systems is that if one part breaks, it can seriously have detrimental effects on the rest of the machine, rendering it useless.

I also use an old Jensen set up from my dad, but that's another story.

DeputyDoses

• I look like Mel Gibson
« Reply #232 on: November 28, 2013, 04:30:35 PM »

Pink Floyd's Atom Heart Mother - 1st Pressing from Germany (1970)
--pristine copy for only $24 shipped from eBay.

-Only $6 in town. I'm slowly adding reggae to my collection

-I was going to wait on getting a more rare version of Man Who Sold the World, but I got too impatient.

-another one that I'm reaaaally stoked on. Only $27 shipped from eBay. First pressing.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #233 on: November 28, 2013, 05:50:44 PM »
i've been avoiding vinyl for years, but i've finally taken the plunge.

restricting myself to things i consider most important to me, so my collections is almost all horror soundtracks:

Halloween:

Prince of Darkness, Zombi 2, and Let the Right One In

signed copy of The Beyond

bought a shitty crosley suitcase at Urban Outfitters that I'm running through a keyboard amp at the moment, but i want to start piecing together a decent shelf setup

Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #234 on: November 30, 2013, 05:54:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
I have a Crosley all-in-one system and it's decent. It's nothing spectacular, but it was only $100.
I'd recommend that as a starter system or gift. The only bad thing about all-in-one systems is that if one part breaks, it can seriously have detrimental effects on the rest of the machine, rendering it useless.

I also use an old Jensen set up from my dad, but that's another story.

My dads is a technics SL-D20 direct drive.

WeirdBeach

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 14
« Reply #235 on: November 30, 2013, 06:59:24 PM »

Hoax LP.
 amazing fucking inserts.art by Mark McCoy and many others.

Greg Road

« Reply #236 on: December 01, 2013, 09:01:56 AM »
I'm going through my records today and looking to unload most of the lot. I don't have room for a record player anymore, and I could use some extra cash.

pica

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #237 on: December 02, 2013, 11:37:38 AM »

Rusty Shackleford

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
  • you know about goretex?
« Reply #238 on: December 03, 2013, 01:50:13 PM »
birthday haul

Jared

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
  • Die Slow
« Reply #239 on: December 03, 2013, 07:30:42 PM »
Very stoked that I stumbled on this topic. Last week I picked up a rare Cocteau Twins 12" promo (vinyl version of their CD-only hits release) as well as the new Fuzz 7" and Take Offs & Landings by Rilo Kiley. Anyone else here collect colored vinyl?

harrison ford invented the first car, in America