Author Topic: Vinyl Records  (Read 131841 times)

Glue Reed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
Re: Vinyl Records
« Reply #390 on: April 29, 2016, 04:56:22 PM »
I've been into music and records for a long time now... I did the majority of my record buying in my late teens to late 20's; I even basically stopped skating and did nothing but buy/read/research about records for awhile.  Unfortunately as bills pile up (and my interest waned) I sold a lot of them off, keeping the "essentials" (although looking back I got rid of some really good shit).  Well lately I've been wanting to build up again, it's a lot more expensive then it used to be... especially when I'm re-buying things I sold years back.  Feels good though!

Recent scores:

pretty stoked on all of these... The most expensive was the Dwarves "Free Cocaine" double LP which I already have, but the newest version has a much better cover/gatefold photos.

Both the singles are reissues, that Middle Class 7" is one of my favorite punk records ever.

IcanthelpitImfromMilwaukee

• Rep: 6
« Reply #391 on: April 30, 2016, 07:35:20 AM »
I've been into music and records for a long time now... I did the majority of my record buying in my late teens to late 20's; I even basically stopped skating and did nothing but buy/read/research about records for awhile.  Unfortunately as bills pile up (and my interest waned) I sold a lot of them off, keeping the "essentials" (although looking back I got rid of some really good shit).  Well lately I've been wanting to build up again, it's a lot more expensive then it used to be... especially when I'm re-buying things I sold years back.  Feels good though!

Recent scores:

pretty stoked on all of these... The most expensive was the Dwarves "Free Cocaine" double LP which I already have, but the newest version has a much better cover/gatefold photos.

Both the singles are reissues, that Middle Class 7" is one of my favorite punk records ever.
Yeah, the original cover of Free Cocaine is pretty lame. Love the Dwarves, hate their logo. I had no idea that was repressed, I should grab a copy. The Burger Records dudes are cool too so that's a plus. That Mummies LP probably wasn't cheap either.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #392 on: April 30, 2016, 09:08:29 AM »
Expand Quote

Recent scores:

[close]
Yeah, the original cover of Free Cocaine is pretty lame. Love the Dwarves, hate their logo. I had no idea that was repressed, I should grab a copy. The Burger Records dudes are cool too so that's a plus. That Mummies LP probably wasn't cheap either.

Burger also did a reissue of the "Lick It" comp (by far the greatest neo-garage there is) with a different cover as well... an awesome old pic of young Dwarves I had never seen.  Out of print so I had to get it on discogs.  Tied for the greatest band ever (well, up to a point).

Mummies wasn't too bad... that's the state of vinyl buying today is that valuable used records are still cheaper than new ones!  The Supercharger LP goes for damn near $40 - $50, but I got mine for really cheap.

KEEP THIS THREAD ALIVE

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #393 on: May 02, 2016, 12:59:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Recent scores:

[close]
[close]

Burger also did a reissue of the "Lick It" comp (by far the greatest neo-garage there is) with a different cover as well... an awesome old pic of young Dwarves I had never seen.  Out of print so I had to get it on discogs.  Tied for the greatest band ever (well, up to a point).

Mummies wasn't too bad... that's the state of vinyl buying today is that valuable used records are still cheaper than new ones!  The Supercharger LP goes for damn near $40 - $50, but I got mine for really cheap.

KEEP THIS THREAD ALIVE

what ?? not for me here in Europe that's for sure. I just bought 3 reissues (for 20 to 25 euros each) cause the originals are getting super expensive, like around 40 euros and up (it was like 2 90's hip hop LP's and a Suicidal Tendancies album)

tumulishoomaroom

• Rep: 47
« Reply #394 on: May 02, 2016, 05:13:19 AM »
Some from a recent London trip where I heavily restrained myself :

Prince Far I - Under Heavy Manners lp
Bubble Club - Lonely Acid 12"
Tiago - The Source 12"
Hawkwind - Doremi Fasol Latido (english pressing with the sick reflective cover) lp
Holger Czukay - On the Way to the Peak of Normal (I just dicovered this guy, Can's former bass player, his first couple albums are KILLER) lp

Also :

Damien Jurado - Visions of Us on the Land 2xlp
The Oscillation - Monographic lp
Bitchin Bajas and Bonnie Prince Billy - Epic Jammers And Fortunate Little Ditties lp
Bitchin Bajas and Natural Information Society - Autoimaginary 2xlp
Woo - Awaawaa lp
Dean Blunt - Black Metal 2xlp
Flying Saucer Attack - Chorus lp
Kevin Morby - Harlem River

Plus all these my girlfriend's father gave me, all originals :

The B-52's - The B-52's
Billy Bragg - Life's A Riot With Spy Vs Spy
Mazzy Star - She Hangs Brightly
Spacemen 3 - Playing With Fire
Cowboy Junkies - The Trinity Session
The Jesus And Mary Chain - Psychocandy
Van Morrison - Astral Weeks
Dead Can Dance - The Serpent's Egg
Ramones - End Of The Century
Tom Waits - Blue Valentine
The Pogues - Dirty Old Town
The Undertones - Teenage Kicks
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Your Funeral ... My Trial
And Also The Trees - The Millpond Years
R.E.M. - Reckoning
R.E.M. - Murmur
The Dukes Of Stratosphear - Psonic Psunspot
Devo - Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!
Primal Scream - Sonic Flower Groove

He's selling all of his collection and told me to take whatever I wanted before putting everything up on discogs. I'm probably gonna raid the attic a second time.

« Reply #395 on: May 02, 2016, 06:22:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Recent scores:

[close]
[close]

KEEP THIS THREAD ALIVE
[close]

what ?? not for me here in Europe that's for sure. I just bought 3 reissues (for 20 to 25 euros each) cause the originals are getting super expensive, like around 40 euros and up (it was like 2 90's hip hop LP's and a Suicidal Tendancies album)
Damn, 40 euro for a Suicidal LP? Original presses of those are like $15 here (what's that like $45?). Frontier records is one of few Hardcore labels you can still get cheap first/early pressings from though. Dischord, SST, any of the smaller labels, forget about it. I'm happy I got most of my Hardcore shit pre-vinyl trend. Not trying to be elitist, some cool shit has been re-pressed that would never have even been thought press 10+ years ago. I'm seriously waiting a re-press of the Twin Peaks soundtrack (I've heard one's on its way).

tumulishoomaroom

• Rep: 47
« Reply #396 on: May 02, 2016, 08:33:03 AM »
press 10+ years ago. I'm seriously waiting a re-press of the Twin Peaks soundtrack (I've heard one's on its way).
I feel like it has been on its way for ages... Isn't it Death Waltz that is supposed to re-relase it ?

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #397 on: May 02, 2016, 09:27:38 AM »
well vinyl on the whole is a lot more expensive in Europe. And bands like Suicidal have real following so it's actually hard to find their stuff (without using the web).
PLus there's crazy speculation on some stuff....I have a pretty good collection of early French rap, like 80's and 90's stuff and I've seen some of those records go for over 200/300 euros! I'm considering selling some of it but I'm also pretty attached to it....pieces of my youth basically. But I imagine this shit must be pretty exotic for you guys!

« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 09:38:02 AM by OldieButFrenchie »

« Reply #398 on: May 02, 2016, 09:37:20 AM »
Expand Quote
press 10+ years ago. I'm seriously waiting a re-press of the Twin Peaks soundtrack (I've heard one's on its way).
[close]
I feel like it has been on its way for ages... Isn't it Death Waltz that is supposed to re-relase it ?
Yup. It was originally set to be released in January, but there was a hold up, of course. Heard they did the test presses last year, so hopefully they're out by the end of the year. They're on the pricey side, but it's always worth it. I have a cassette copy of the original, vinyl copies are at least $100 bucks.

well vinyl on the whole is a lot more expensive in Europe. And bands like Suicidal have real following so it's actually hard to find their stuff (without using the web).
PLus there's crazy speculation on some stuff....I have a pretty good collection of early French rap, like 80's and 90's stuff and I've seen some of those records for over 200/300 euros! I'm considering selling some of it but I'm also pretty attached to it....pieces of my youth basically. But I imagine this shit must be pretty exotic for you guys!

Never listened to french rap to be honest, though now I'm intrigued.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #399 on: May 02, 2016, 09:47:30 AM »
well french rap is derivative of US shit, so you have no real reason to listen to it I guess....maybe you remember this though?
Guru Feat MC Solaar! way back in 93 when Solaar was still relevant in the French scene.....

Guru Mc Solaar The Good The Bad Le Bien Le Mal HD 720p TV0b74LLGk0 8

« Reply #400 on: May 03, 2016, 10:55:03 AM »
well french rap is derivative of US shit, so you have no real reason to listen to it I guess....maybe you remember this though?
Guru Feat MC Solaar! way back in 93 when Solaar was still relevant in the French scene.....

Guru Mc Solaar The Good The Bad Le Bien Le Mal HD 720p TV0b74LLGk0 8
Ah, that's on one of the Jazzmatazz records right? I only have Vol. II, I should get on copping the other 2. I'm pretty sure my last roommate had that single.

sfa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #401 on: June 22, 2016, 11:57:35 AM »
looking for a copy of Wu Lyf (on vinyl obvs.) at a fair price.

any one selling hit me up.

I need a coffee

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #402 on: June 23, 2016, 10:31:30 AM »
looking for a copy of Wu Lyf (on vinyl obvs.) at a fair price.

any one selling hit me up.

i looked it up because i thought it was a wu tang record. prices on discogs looked insane, but when i went to listen to them on spotify, i saw they had merch links for both "go tell fire to the mountain" and "we bros" on vinyl for pretty fair prices. i dont know how legit it is, but maybe check it out if you really want that album.

edit: nevermind, both are out of stock.

https://www.merchbar.com/vinyl-records/wu-lyf/wu-lyf-go-tell-fire-to-the-mountain?utm_source=merchbar-spotify&utm_medium=affiliate

https://www.merchbar.com/vinyl-records/wu-lyf/wu-lyf-we-bros?utm_source=merchbar-spotify&utm_medium=affiliate

they sound like a pretty cool band. i cant understand what the singer is saying, but i dont really pay much attention to lyrics anyway. never heard of them before now.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 11:11:38 AM by JB »

headtowall

• Rep: -13
« Reply #403 on: June 30, 2016, 01:22:29 PM »
here was my haul from my trip out to the west coast last week

doublesteveburger

« Reply #404 on: July 03, 2016, 01:35:14 PM »
Bored at work, thought I'd list mine off. Just started collecting earlier this year. Some of what I have is guilty-pleasure music and stuff I've always wanted on vinyl.

Andrew Jackson Jihad - Candy Cigarettes Capguns Issue Problems & Such
Bomb The Music Industry! - Get Warmer
Bomb The Music Industry! - Scrambles
Bomb The Music Industry! - Adults!!!
Bomb The Music Industry/O Pioneers!!! - Split
Jeff Rosenstock - We Cool?
Jeff Rosenstock - I Look Like Shit
Ceremony - Zoo
Ceremony - The L-Shaped Man
Misfits - Collection
My Chemical Romance - I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love
Gerard Way - Hesitant Alien
Gay Kiss - Fault
White Suns - Totem
Skarp - Requiem
Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the City
Ghost Bath - Moonlover

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #405 on: July 03, 2016, 03:37:42 PM »
some stuff I've picked up over the last few weeks...

Stoked as fuck for all of these, as every one is a classic.  Just yesterday I picked up those two 7", Firestarter and the very first Go-Go's 7" when they were still on Stiff records and more of a punk band... the version of We Got The Beat is way better than the more famous version.

Pretty excited about that Ebba Gron LP, those are not easy to find stateside.

Grampa

• Rep: 143
« Reply #406 on: July 03, 2016, 07:06:17 PM »
What's that Cock Sparrer record all about? Never seen it before.

Also, Slayed? is the fucking best.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #407 on: July 03, 2016, 07:22:34 PM »
What's that Cock Sparrer record all about? Never seen it before.

Also, Slayed? is the fucking best.

Are you talking about the True Grit outtakes?  Oh man... it's all they stuff they recorded for their very first LP from 1978 when they were still more of a glam/skinhead/pub rock band.  It absolutely rules, although the versions on the original are a little better sounding than True Grit:

Cock Sparrer - I need a witness
Cock Sparrer - We Love You 1977

Slayed? is the best, but Old Borrowed and Blue rips just as hard. (btw I bought that Slayed but I already have another copy, so if you're looking for one let me know)

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #408 on: July 04, 2016, 02:01:05 AM »

Stoked as fuck for all of these, as every one is a classic.  Just yesterday I picked up those two 7", Firestarter and the very first Go-Go's 7" when they were still on Stiff records and more of a punk band... the version of We Got The Beat is way better than the more famous version.

quite surprised to see a French band in there (Dogs). Did you buy that in the US ?
also, that Thin Lizzy Bad Reputation LP is one of their best IMO.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #409 on: July 04, 2016, 08:34:46 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

quite surprised to see a French band in there (Dogs). Did you buy that in the US ?
also, that Thin Lizzy Bad Reputation LP is one of their best IMO.

I actually got that one on discogs... Had to pay a bit for shipping but worth it.  I love the Dogs, particularly the first two singles.  Their albums are hit or miss but I really love that LP.  I'm a huge fan of French punk... a lot of French music actually (and art, movies, fashion, women, etc..) a Francophile you could say.  I hear stuff like the Dogs or a lot of the 60s French pop is really easy to find in France?  I need to make a trip there and go on a spree

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #410 on: July 04, 2016, 09:03:20 AM »
I'd say yes, fairly easy to find. But prices have been going kinda nuts lately....
Especially underground stuff on small labels that did not press many copies. But Dogs were signed on a major so it shouldnt'be too bad.

Anyways yes.....come visit man! I'll be glad to help if you need info.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 09:12:16 AM by OldieButFrenchie »

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #411 on: July 04, 2016, 09:14:03 AM »
oh this is kinda off-topic but Magma in a Jean Yanne movie is as cult as it gets for French stuff....

Magma - Moi y'en a vouloir des sous (Jean Yanne, 1972)

glutton.

« Reply #412 on: July 05, 2016, 10:48:51 AM »
I just picked up this Rick James album:

Mine has a worn out cover but the vinyl plays perfectly.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #413 on: July 05, 2016, 03:19:48 PM »
I'd say yes, fairly easy to find. But prices have been going kinda nuts lately....
Especially underground stuff on small labels that did not press many copies. But Dogs were signed on a major so it shouldnt'be too bad.

Anyways yes.....come visit man! I'll be glad to help if you need info.

Oh yeah... there's always gonna be the expensive, hard to find stuff... but I know stuff like The Dogs and Marie Et Les Garcons which are hard to find in the U.S. but much more common there.  Same goes for some of that original 60's pop like Francoise Hardy and Jacques Dutronc.. over here it's really collectable but there it's pretty easy to find (so I hear, I could be wrong).

And man I may take you up on that!  I'm dying to go there within the next few years!

headtowall

• Rep: -13
« Reply #414 on: July 07, 2016, 10:52:48 AM »

Could have guessed this based on the avatar. I think i have a copy of Pegasus XL laying around that was given to me by Jeff in lieu of gas money, maybe i'll trade you for something.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #415 on: July 07, 2016, 03:54:33 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Could have guessed this based on the avatar. I think i have a copy of Pegasus XL laying around that was given to me by Jeff in lieu of gas money, maybe i'll trade you for something.

I'll definitely take you up on that offer. What'd you have in mind?

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #416 on: July 15, 2016, 04:49:39 PM »
here is basically what ive bought over the past year or so. mostly new records but some used ones in there too.

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #417 on: July 27, 2016, 07:48:15 PM »
Picked up a few classics today.

Neil Young - harvest and after the gold rush
Taking heads - speaking in tongues
Tom Tom club - s/t
Clearance Carter - Dr c.c. (I think that's what it's called. It's the one with stroking on it)

All were between $8 and $12

yatallfreak

• Rep: 11
« Reply #418 on: July 27, 2016, 09:12:08 PM »
went to the flea market today and found this for $10

Rusty Shackleford

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
  • you know about goretex?