Author Topic: Vinyl Records  (Read 131805 times)

max power

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Vinyl Records
« Reply #480 on: March 17, 2018, 10:34:20 AM »
How do you define “good on the wallet”? I use a Technics SL-1200 (definitely not the lightest on the wallet) and a Pro Ject Debut Carbon, which I’ve seen go on sale for about $299 from time to time (with all of the bells and whistles), and I’d say is well worth it to not trash your records and to sound like pricier models. I’ve also heard good things about the U-Turn Orbit Basic, which look easy to upgrade and I usually see around $180. I feel like a douche putting it like this, but I wouldn’t spend less than $120 on a turntable unless you find a ridiculous deal on something used (I got my Technics at an estate sale for about $500 below average, so if you have the time, peep some out). I’m curious about some of the U-Turns myself, actually.
I have one that is upgraded and it's great. My buddy just got one as well, the basic model and he loves it. No frills, sounds great. My only minor complaint is that switching between 33 1/3 and 45rpm is kinda a pain. There's a trick to it that I haven't mastered.

IcanthelpitImfromMilwaukee

• Rep: 6
« Reply #481 on: March 17, 2018, 01:59:02 PM »
Expand Quote
How do you define “good on the wallet”? I use a Technics SL-1200 (definitely not the lightest on the wallet) and a Pro Ject Debut Carbon, which I’ve seen go on sale for about $299 from time to time (with all of the bells and whistles), and I’d say is well worth it to not trash your records and to sound like pricier models. I’ve also heard good things about the U-Turn Orbit Basic, which look easy to upgrade and I usually see around $180. I feel like a douche putting it like this, but I wouldn’t spend less than $120 on a turntable unless you find a ridiculous deal on something used (I got my Technics at an estate sale for about $500 below average, so if you have the time, peep some out). I’m curious about some of the U-Turns myself, actually.
[close]
I have one that is upgraded and it's great. My buddy just got one as well, the basic model and he loves it. No frills, sounds great. My only minor complaint is that switching between 33 1/3 and 45rpm is kinda a pain. There's a trick to it that I haven't mastered.
You have to take off the plate/move the band? If so, I have to do that with the Pro Ject, and yeah, it’s a bit irritating.

max power

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #482 on: March 17, 2018, 07:57:02 PM »
Yeah shift the band. It's not so bad, but if you're a bit faded it can be annoying.

B. Hopper

• Rep: 3
« Reply #483 on: March 23, 2018, 01:53:40 PM »
Any vinyl heads into old school country? This is coming out in April. Featuring Lloyd Green on pedal steel. Recorded at Cinderella Studios in Nashville with Wayne Moss...one of the guitarists that played the famous "Oh, Pretty Woman" by Roy Orbison among many other hits....

Less than 300 copies printed and once they're gone, they're gone. If you're a country music nerd, this is a big deal as these older cats are mostly gone, the rest are in their 80's....

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgKaDCCB_vc/?taken-by=adamlopezguitar
44 years young. Skatin' since '80. Take yours slams, get up smiling, say #thankyouskateboarding, and get back up and do it again. Because FUN.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #484 on: March 24, 2018, 11:54:39 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/AT-LP120BK-USB-Direct-Drive-Professional-Turntable-USB/dp/B00GA9COMM/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1521306812&sr=1-3&keywords=audio+technica+at-lp120+usb

These go on sale every now and again. Most people seem pretty happy with them. Otherwise the best bet is probably craigslist and garage sales. Record stores sometimes sell used gear too.

I always tell people to start with older friends and relatives. I've gotten multiple full set ups for free from my family and friends who had old stuff collecting dust.

I've got the Audio Technica 120 (or, I bought it for my wife and she'll probably get in in the divorce). It's a Technics copy and really well made (included needle is just OK). I think I paid $250 for it new.

chuckles

• Rep: 16
« Reply #485 on: March 26, 2018, 08:40:29 AM »
Expand Quote
I desperately need a new record player. All I have is one of those shitty Crosby ones that basically fuck up your records. Any tips on something that'll be good on my wallet yet decent in sound?
[close]

I use this and an older Pioneer PL-18. The project sounds great but the the lack of auto return bothers me.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #486 on: March 29, 2018, 09:17:23 AM »

colt cannon lunchbox

• Rep: -92
« Reply #487 on: March 31, 2018, 05:28:14 AM »
One for the old blokes

https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/10012

Animal chin on wax

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #488 on: April 10, 2018, 03:18:13 PM »
If anyones looking for a solid Kinks comp. Less than $10 on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ENEIL86/ref=as_li_ss_tl?_encoding=UTF8&me=&linkCode=sl1&tag=a2t-vinyl-20&linkId=de8d8c5d04476d878794f11de6991884

Kink Kronicles pops up fairly often and that's an outstanding double album compilation of mid period Kinks. Has a bunch of good singles as well from the Face to Face/Something Else/Village Green/Arthur era.

Speaking of those albums, I need to cop them on vinyl but they're getting more and more expensive and the reissues are often more than $30!

On a somewhat related note, I picked up copies of This Is Modern World, All Mod Cons, Setting Sons, and Sound Affects in nice condition for $10 a piece! I was ecstatic.

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1214
« Reply #489 on: April 14, 2018, 06:17:44 AM »
around this time last year i took the trash out and found some records sitting nicely on top of some garbage in the dumpster

best of chess records double album
red fox -no sleeve
muddy waters
bo diddley
bb king

probably some of the best records i own and i found them in the trash

life is funny

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #490 on: April 23, 2018, 11:17:38 AM »

Got the Uranium Club Live in Italy "Fine Dining" addition a few days ago and just picked up the new Sleep album on green vinyl.

It's been super hard to listen to records lately because the floor in my house is pretty shaky. I had my turntable mounted on a shelf on the wall at my apartment, and we were on the ground floor, so you could jump up and down next to it and you wouldn't bounce the needle. Now I've just got it sitting on top of my record shelf and it bounces even if you tiptoe around the room. We also have a 6 year old kid who's only speed is full blast, so if he's awake I can't listen to records. The only time I really get to play them is if I'm home alone and thats rare.

I'm going to put everything in my basement along with my drums and guitar shit, but its like a construction/demolition site down there and will remain in that state until I have the time to rent a dumpster and clean my mess up.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #491 on: April 24, 2018, 07:15:43 AM »
was a little hung over at the flea market the other
weekend. seller got me. i only wanted to buy one
but i ended up buying three records for 80 bucks.

muff potter - s/t
screeching weasel - boogadaboogadaboogada!
the smiths - meat is murder

all of them are first/early presses and discogs says
that he made an okay deal for me. so i am not mad

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #492 on: April 24, 2018, 07:24:46 AM »
i only wanted to buy one but i ended up buying three records for 80 bucks.

thats me every time i go into a record store.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #493 on: April 25, 2018, 04:14:01 AM »
Expand Quote
i only wanted to buy one but i ended up buying three records for 80 bucks.
[close]
thats me every time i go into a record store.
haha - it happens to the best of us. but that is
why i only stayed out in front of the local shop
drinking beer last weekend on recordstore day

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #494 on: April 26, 2018, 03:05:17 AM »
went on a little shopping spree in Brussels yesterday, after months of abstinence from record buying...felt good!
First 2 shops were overpriced but I found good shit in the unassuming third one, that sells also used books.

All in all: 38 euros for 4 LP, so pretty good deals. And I had totally forgotten about the Subhumans, rad rediscovery!

Record on top is Purple, by Baroness. That one I got new from Amazon cause it's just an amazing album and I've been listening to it A LOT on MP3 and I felt I should buy it to support them. Did not regret it! Cover looks amazing on vinyl and sound quality allowed to me to hear details I had not heard in digital version.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 03:07:00 AM by OldieButFrenchie »

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #495 on: April 26, 2018, 06:14:40 AM »
Those early Cars albums are so classic. I never get tired of Candy-O.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #496 on: April 28, 2018, 03:06:16 AM »
Those early Cars albums are so classic. I never get tired of Candy-O.

that is a pretty solid album....on first listen I thought it sounded like the Talking Heads but now I can feel it's gonna grow on me! More than the TH at least.

max power

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #497 on: April 29, 2018, 06:42:43 PM »
Been loving this lately:

https://youtu.be/KEUNJMgg_1Q

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 289
« Reply #498 on: April 30, 2018, 04:15:43 AM »
Anyone have experience taking apart and servicing a Linear Tracking turntable? I'm hooking up my pops hand me down and its stopping about two minutes in. I found out I need to clean the track and maybe change the belt out on it but I also need to replace the audio cables because one of them isn't transmitting to the left speaker. Anything I should be careful or any helpful tips when i'm taking it apart?

Also in adding to the thread in general I picked up
Tool Opiate
Music From/Inspired by Natural Born Killers
Dr Octagon
And a Album from The Band recently.

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #499 on: April 30, 2018, 08:35:56 AM »
Anyone have experience taking apart and servicing a Linear Tracking turntable? I'm hooking up my pops hand me down and its stopping about two minutes in. I found out I need to clean the track and maybe change the belt out on it but I also need to replace the audio cables because one of them isn't transmitting to the left speaker. Anything I should be careful or any helpful tips when i'm taking it apart?

Also in adding to the thread in general I picked up
Tool Opiate
Music From/Inspired by Natural Born Killers
Dr Octagon
And a Album from The Band recently.

maybe give reddit a shot. maybe r/vintageaudio or r/audiophile might be helpful. r/vinyl only gives a shit about kendrik lamar and gorillas albums, but theres a sidebar there that has all the other related subs.

if you can't figure it out and you don't have a shop that repairs old gear, it might be best to just get something new.

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #500 on: June 12, 2018, 08:26:47 PM »
After 2 receivers that didnt work from goodwill and the Yamaha PX-3 I got from my pops didnt work out I finally have a system going. Got a Crosley C6 turntable at the local record shop and found a Yamaha receiver for 100$ at the electronic store. New vinyl lately has been:
The Sword High Country
Deftones White Pony
The Village People Cruising (i'm gay and it was 3$ couldn't resist)
Modest Mouse This is a Long drive for someone with nothing to think about

Bought my a record from Municipal Waste at a show hes been dealing with some DWI charges and couldn't shell out the cash so I called it a early birthday gift.

Still need to get some Mastodon, Sabbath, Melvins, and Sleep. Lateralus would be cool as well as Animals by Floyd. I have In the wake of poseidon by King Crimson but I really want to cop In the court.

Anyone else come up on some cool shit?

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #501 on: June 13, 2018, 06:14:16 AM »
over the last half year i bought some (more or less rare) stuff:
screeching weasel - boogadaboogadaboogada!
the smiths - meat is murder
death in june - brown book
grauzone - s/t
muff potter - s/t
and three david hasselhoff lps

all from various flea markets
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 07:25:17 AM by somethingmustbreaknow »

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #502 on: June 13, 2018, 07:39:04 AM »

I had a pretty good haul at the Brussels record fair last week....some Mastodon in there too!

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #503 on: June 13, 2018, 04:37:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I had a pretty good haul at the Brussels record fair last week....some Mastodon in there too!

Thats fucking rad man! I have a signed and framed portrait from Leviathan from the original artist on my wall. Their art direction has always been on point.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #504 on: June 14, 2018, 03:10:40 AM »
dude I just discovered Mastodon like 6 months ago and totally fell in love haha.....I even got my wife and kids into it! And true about the art direction. But everything really. There's not a lot of bands that come out with so much good material over 20 years or so, keeping it original and diverse every time.

As for the rest, the Steely Dan and Justo Betrancourt LP's are my faves.....rad stuff.

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #505 on: June 14, 2018, 06:37:09 PM »
dude I just discovered Mastodon like 6 months ago and totally fell in love haha.....I even got my wife and kids into it! And true about the art direction. But everything really. There's not a lot of bands that come out with so much good material over 20 years or so, keeping it original and diverse every time.

As for the rest, the Steely Dan and Justo Betrancourt LP's are my faves.....rad stuff.

I'm pretty excited to go see Mastodon and Primus at the end of the month. It'll be my 3rd time seeing them. They always put on a killer show! First time I saw Primus they had Danny Carey from Tool drumming with them and they covered Schism. Have you checked out Elder? They're album Dead Roots Stirring is pretty fucking rad too if you're into Mastodon.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #506 on: June 15, 2018, 12:04:49 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm pretty excited to go see Mastodon and Primus at the end of the month. It'll be my 3rd time seeing them. They always put on a killer show! First time I saw Primus they had Danny Carey from Tool drumming with them and they covered Schism. Have you checked out Elder? They're album Dead Roots Stirring is pretty fucking rad too if you're into Mastodon.

damn now I'm jealous.... That Mastodon/primus tour is not coming to Europe. And Primus is also one of my favorite bands! I saw them in Paris back around 1999 and they were phenomenal.
As for Elder, never heard of em but I'll check them out thanks for the tip!

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #507 on: July 05, 2018, 02:16:36 AM »
Got a few Spacemen 3 reissues from my local record shop.

Rusty Shackleford

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
  • you know about goretex?
« Reply #508 on: July 08, 2018, 10:03:22 AM »
traded in some shit I didn't listen to much and picked up:
new parquet courts
italian pressing of bob marley and the wailers' confrontation
green day- kerplunk
close encounters soundtrack