Author Topic: Unstructured strap back hats vs. large heads  (Read 568 times)

ShoeProblem

• Rep: 11
Unstructured strap back hats vs. large heads
« on: September 16, 2018, 03:21:18 PM »
I dunno if anyone else out there struggles with this, but I have ordered 3 hats that simply do not fit my massive skull. UNTIL I happened to see Roger on The Nine Club wearing a nice looking Theories hat and I guessed (correctly) that he, like me, was in possession of a big melon head. I ordered one and to my delight it fits pretty well, but I do hope there are other options out there.

Hat suggestions for big water heads like me?

kentrock

• Rep: -76
Re: Unstructured strap back hats vs. large heads
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 03:51:55 PM »
wow.  thats cool.

TheBoognish

• Rep: 6
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 06:02:27 PM »
I have a massive dome as well, and ordering caps online has been a bitch for me. For reference, 7 3/4 New Era's fit quite tight for me and would leave a massive mark on my forehead. I always got those because stores around here didn't carry the bigger sizes (and they looked quite ridiculous on my already comically large head)

Strapback Theories hats fit me well pretty much all the time. Their snapbacks, not so much. I recently bought a Baker strapback, the green one with the "B" rivet on it. It fits perfectly and has a lot of extra room.

Most Polar strapbacks fit great for me, even their snapbacks fit.
I've had some Magenta strap backs fit, some were too small. Their snapbacks are def. too small for me. Their five panels fit me, which is odd because most 5 panels don't fit me.

I have a 917 strapback that fits (the blue one Roger wears from time to time), but the strap is at its max, I can only really wear it with a shaved head/short hair, or else it gets too tight.

No Huf hats have ever fit me. The new Alien Workshop hats don't fit my massive dome at all either.

i want to try the Hopps lion strapback, but with the price conversion + customs, I don't want to end up with a hat that's too small, it's always a bitch to return.

Hope this helps, as a hat guy with a big-ass head, I feel your pain.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 06:04:15 PM by TheBoognish »

Nosferatu

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 367
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 06:23:00 PM »
I too have a large head. Not much to add. When I find a hat that fits I guard it with my life and run it to dust. Following this thread closely.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

eight two fives

• Rep: 1
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 06:27:08 PM »
Any DLX brand will not fit. At all. I have a chocolate corduroy hat thatís roomy that I wear in the winter. The 47 brand hats are great and comfortable on my massive dome. I canít do new eras anymore, Iím almost 40. 

Oh, I have an official brand hat, I guess itís a Jose rojo model, it fits really well and itís like moisture wicking. Itís sick. Nothing crazy on it, just a small O.

The Woodsman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
-Gandhi

FS-OverKOOK

• Rep: -9
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 07:39:03 PM »
Any DLX brand will not fit. At all. I have a chocolate corduroy hat thatís roomy that I wear in the winter. The 47 brand hats are great and comfortable on my massive dome. I canít do new eras anymore, Iím almost 40. 

Oh, I have an official brand hat, I guess itís a Jose rojo model, it fits really well and itís like moisture wicking. Itís sick. Nothing crazy on it, just a small O.
same boat...I haven't been able to find a spitfire hat that fits in years. I've been skating a old LRG hat for way too long but it is surprisingly good quality.

Nosferatu

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 367
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 08:48:55 PM »
Need more links ppl
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

eight two fives

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 10:12:55 PM »
Hereís that Official hat I have. I got it on sale at tactics or daddies, canít remember.

https://theofficialbrand.com/collections/fall-winter-17/products/air-luxe-blk

SneakySecrets

• Rep: -61
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 05:26:23 AM »
Only solution:

FROTHY

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 12:16:34 PM »
Absolutely never any cheap blank hats from China on Amazon. Although it's amazing they can sell something and ship it across the world for $3.

Crap

• Rep: -1
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2018, 01:00:47 PM »
Size 7 7/8 New Era skull here... I've had luck with the following hats from skate companies:
- Polar (strapback)
- Quasi (snapback [bought two of the same one on sale - one is too small, the other is perfect])
- Altamont (snapback)
- Huf (strapback, but with the webbed nylon strap like 5-panel hats normally have - this one seems to be an outlier, as every other hat I've tried on from them has been way too small)

Also, if a hat is just a bit tight, but borderline fits; you can get a little extra room by cutting a couple of small slits in the sweatband, like so:

I do one cut on each side just at the edge of the brim, and do the same thing at the back, right before the adjustment hole.

concerned_parent

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -85
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2018, 06:21:39 PM »
brixton high profile.
good come sausage