Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 689360 times)

johnes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #570 on: January 01, 2014, 09:01:14 PM »

I've always just skated whichever wheels were the cheapest at my skateshop. I recently got STFS for the first time and formula 4's, these are the flat spots I got, but now that it's been a couple months I def like the 4's more than anything I can remember, but really i don't mind skating cheap wheels.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

ALABAMAMAN

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -196
« Reply #571 on: January 01, 2014, 11:10:38 PM »
Expand Quote
You remind of this hypebeast in my psychology class who is always Bragging how much his jeans cost. 
[close]

and isn't ALABAMAMAN friends with sponsored skaters? i'm pretty sure i've heard him talk about letting pros/ams stay at his place.

this dude gets product kicked-down by homies and is trying to stunt on slap like he's got paper.

hey BAMAMAN, post pics of your whip and bitch too!

shut them haters down, brah.

You mad you don't get homie boxes. Never acted rich playur but my 150$ Carhartt pants ripped the other day

VAN LIFE PLAYUR!!!!

Noid

• Rep: 5
« Reply #572 on: January 02, 2014, 01:57:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Did you boil the water? Get that water as humanly hot as possible and with black dye just use the whole packet in only about a half gallon of water. Let sit for at least a day or 2. Bones STF's took 4 days and it was still faint. Nav's dyes Spitfire Classics over the course of a month. So be patient. It ain't gunna be a quick thing.
The softer the wheel, the better it will dye, the harder the more dense it is and harder to get color into the urethane.
I've dyed a bunch of sets and the wheels that took the best dye job were 97a Powell wheels. They were perfectly a bright blue in a day.
Harder wheels you need more time, and more dye. In the end it's a pain, but it can be done.
Good luck dude and be patient!
[close]

sorry for taking so long to reply. I forgot I posted in this thread. Anyways, I brought the water to a boil, added half the dye and brought the stove down to a medium high, just barley under boiling.

I just ordered another pair off the 99 classics and want to dye them with the "lemon" colored liquid dye. Do you think the dye is dark enough to get a solid color on the pearly spits?
[close]
Hey man, yeah, the yellow will work. My buddy did a set with the yellow and they came out actually pretty good.

The whiter the wheel, the better the dye takes. Softer the wheel, the easier and deeper in the dye takes.

Do you know what specific yellow dye he used and how long he had to soak them?

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #573 on: January 02, 2014, 10:14:12 AM »
Expand Quote
DLX PMed me and handled it. These dudes are the shit and I will never skate another wheel.
[close]

It's exactly how I feel about the dudes that run Autobahn. Killer wheels and unbelievable customer service and backing of their product. I will never skate another wheel.

If anyone is interested in trying F4s, I have a brand new set in the shrink...99/54 in classic shape that I'd sell for $24 shipped to anywhere in the states. I'm pretty sure I paid $38. I bought them while on a skate trip from a local shop in a town we were skating to have as a backup set but I never had to use them. I have so many sets of wheels in front of them I'm most likely never going to use them.

pm'd
hardly art, hardly starving

LennyDLXSF

• Rep: 77
  • Deluxe Customer Service
« Reply #574 on: January 02, 2014, 11:17:06 AM »
Finally swapped mine out after four months, longest time ive had a pair of wheels, loved these, hopefully they bring out the manderson shape in these and i'll be set for life

Manderson shape is coming very soon.

dillanharp

« Reply #575 on: January 02, 2014, 11:20:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
You remind of this hypebeast in my psychology class who is always Bragging how much his jeans cost. 
[close]

and isn't ALABAMAMAN friends with sponsored skaters? i'm pretty sure i've heard him talk about letting pros/ams stay at his place.

this dude gets product kicked-down by homies and is trying to stunt on slap like he's got paper.

hey BAMAMAN, post pics of your whip and bitch too!

shut them haters down, brah.
[close]

You mad you don't get homie boxes handouts. Never acted rich playur but my 150$ Carhartt pants ripped the other day

VAN LIFE PLAYUR!!!!

sweat stains

• Rep: 33
  • slap sux
    • Shady Griptape avatar image
« Reply #576 on: January 02, 2014, 11:44:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Finally swapped mine out after four months, longest time ive had a pair of wheels, loved these, hopefully they bring out the manderson shape in these and i'll be set for life
[close]

What's up with the colored F4s? I saw those green samples, I'd be so hyped on some pink ones!
damn those yarys bout those squats

JBones

• Rep: -88
« Reply #577 on: January 02, 2014, 01:39:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Did you boil the water? Get that water as humanly hot as possible and with black dye just use the whole packet in only about a half gallon of water. Let sit for at least a day or 2. Bones STF's took 4 days and it was still faint. Nav's dyes Spitfire Classics over the course of a month. So be patient. It ain't gunna be a quick thing.
The softer the wheel, the better it will dye, the harder the more dense it is and harder to get color into the urethane.
I've dyed a bunch of sets and the wheels that took the best dye job were 97a Powell wheels. They were perfectly a bright blue in a day.
Harder wheels you need more time, and more dye. In the end it's a pain, but it can be done.
[close]

sorry for taking so long to reply. I forgot I posted in this thread. Anyways, I brought the water to a boil, added half the dye and brought the stove down to a medium high, just barley under boiling.

I just ordered another pair off the 99 classics and want to dye them with the "lemon" colored liquid dye. Do you think the dye is dark enough to get a solid color on the pearly spits?
[close]
Hey man, yeah, the yellow will work. My buddy did a set with the yellow and they came out actually pretty good.

The whiter the wheel, the better the dye takes. Softer the wheel, the easier and deeper in the dye takes.
[close]

Rit dye, Lemon Yellow. Start w/ a teaspoon to about 3 cups of boiling water. Let sit for 5 minutes.
Take the wheel out, check it, see how light or dark it is. Then you decide if you need to add more dye, hotter water and or leave in longer. Once you find the right mixture of the dye to water ratio, and it's not going to be too light or too dark you can then leave the wheels in a long time and keep stirring them. Once they cool, stir them every once in a while to keep them from floating and making one side darker than the rest. The longer sitting time will make the dye seep further into the urethane so that when you wear the wheels down they will still be colored all the way through. The boiling water dye mixture will be the most powerful of these things when getting most of the color into the wheels. Everything else after that is a waiting game. With a super white wheel and hot enough water/dye combo you can wing it in no time w/ light colors like a yellow. The darker colors take longer. I've done blues and greens and I leave them in for days and keep reheating the dye too to kinda rush it along. Navarette two-tone dyes his wheels for a month in Rit black dye. So just know, when dying urethane wheels ya gotta be patient. I've done a bunch of wheel dye jobs, some good, some bad, but funky, it's an experiment and always a gamble, but it's a fun and cheap way to play around w/ yer setup.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 01:43:07 PM by JBones »

LennyDLXSF

« Reply #578 on: January 02, 2014, 02:28:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
What's up with the colored F4s? I saw those green samples, I'd be so hyped on some pink ones!

Colors are coming very soon as well. We have some prototypes going, and full production isn't far off!

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #579 on: January 02, 2014, 04:09:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You made my day Lenny,  :-*

Noid

« Reply #580 on: January 02, 2014, 05:08:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Rit dye, Lemon Yellow. Start w/ a teaspoon to about 3 cups of boiling water. Let sit for 5 minutes.
Take the wheel out, check it, see how light or dark it is. Then you decide if you need to add more dye, hotter water and or leave in longer. Once you find the right mixture of the dye to water ratio, and it's not going to be too light or too dark you can then leave the wheels in a long time and keep stirring them. Once they cool, stir them every once in a while to keep them from floating and making one side darker than the rest. The longer sitting time will make the dye seep further into the urethane so that when you wear the wheels down they will still be colored all the way through. The boiling water dye mixture will be the most powerful of these things when getting most of the color into the wheels. Everything else after that is a waiting game. With a super white wheel and hot enough water/dye combo you can wing it in no time w/ light colors like a yellow. The darker colors take longer. I've done blues and greens and I leave them in for days and keep reheating the dye too to kinda rush it along. Navarette two-tone dyes his wheels for a month in Rit black dye. So just know, when dying urethane wheels ya gotta be patient. I've done a bunch of wheel dye jobs, some good, some bad, but funky, it's an experiment and always a gamble, but it's a fun and cheap way to play around w/ yer setup.

sweet, alright thanks for all the help man

JBones

« Reply #581 on: January 03, 2014, 12:07:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

sweet, alright thanks for all the help man
No prob, good luck!  :)

KMAC

• Rep: -10
« Reply #582 on: January 03, 2014, 12:31:41 PM »
yo is there any difference between the F4's that come in the new packaging, versus the ones that are packaged like the regular spits? same graphic on both

LennyDLXSF

« Reply #583 on: January 03, 2014, 03:36:35 PM »
yo is there any difference between the F4's that come in the new packaging, versus the ones that are packaged like the regular spits? same graphic on both

No difference. They're just from before we decided on the new packaging.

KMAC

« Reply #584 on: January 03, 2014, 06:05:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

No difference. They're just from before we decided on the new packaging.

cool thanks mane

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • the moon rules
« Reply #585 on: January 04, 2014, 09:26:23 AM »
Reed get those colors going already. I tried my friends f1's the other day. I used to think they were extremely grippy, but now it feels like skating on ice. If you go back to anything else, which i really dont know why you would, it might take a little getting used to again.

fuck you bama

Noid

« Reply #586 on: January 04, 2014, 05:27:54 PM »
I ended using evening blue rather than yellow, I am really happy with how they turned out.

fixed
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 08:57:47 AM by Noid »

JBones

« Reply #587 on: January 04, 2014, 10:24:08 PM »
Can't see em bro...

KMAC

« Reply #588 on: January 05, 2014, 09:28:40 AM »
I ended using evening blue rather than yellow, I am really happy with how they turned out.

fixed

damn ngl i hate colored wheels but those look sick

JBones

« Reply #589 on: January 05, 2014, 08:36:27 PM »

fixed

Nice man!

The last color I dyed was using Rit Aqua-marine liquid dye. Left wheels in for 4 days. It came out the brightest royal blue of all the wheels I've ever done. The wheels were 97a Powells though, so they took dye really well. I can see how the off white color of the F4's would sorta augment the color you'd be dying.
Nice job bro!  :)

Noid

« Reply #590 on: January 05, 2014, 10:16:09 PM »
Expand Quote

fixed

[close]

Nice man!

The last color I dyed was using Rit Aqua-marine liquid dye. Left wheels in for 4 days. It came out the brightest royal blue of all the wheels I've ever done. The wheels were 97a Powells though, so they took dye really well. I can see how the off white color of the F4's would sorta augment the color you'd be dying.

Thanks, I took your advice and kept the water as hot as I could, so it only took about an hour or so. And when I took them out they were so soft they bounced like super balls haha

JBones

« Reply #591 on: January 07, 2014, 02:20:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

fixed

[close]

Nice man!

[close]

Thanks, I took your advice and kept the water as hot as I could, so it only took about an hour or so. And when I took them out they were so soft they bounced like super balls haha

Haha, you should see what it's like dying Bones STF and SPF's! REBOUND gone wild after boiling i'm sure...never tried to bounce them as I let them sit in the dye for days after that that boiling point.

felix.

• Rep: -34
« Reply #592 on: January 07, 2014, 03:07:07 PM »
i finally got round to buying a set. 51mm Full Shape 98A Durometer. they were really cheap and in the full shape which is quite hard to find, i can't wait to see what they're like. just hope the fucking ground dries up sometime soon!

The Nose Face

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 8
« Reply #593 on: January 10, 2014, 08:54:56 AM »
i finally got round to buying a set. 51mm Full Shape 98A Durometer. they were really cheap and in the full shape which is quite hard to find, i can't wait to see what they're like. just hope the fucking ground dries up sometime soon!

I wanna find the 98a's in 54 MM and full shape - but it's hard to find. Even the normal sites I check online don't have any stock.

Anyone know of a site?

KMAC

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #595 on: January 10, 2014, 01:39:48 PM »
Quote from: The Nose Face  link=topic=68020.msg2067708#msg2067708 date=1389372896
Expand Quote
[close]

I wanna find the 98a's in 54 MM and full shape - but it's hard to find. Even the normal sites I check online don't have any stock.

Anyone know of a site?

I don't think they made the full shape in 54 this time around, it was 51,53,55 I believe

b.v.

« Reply #596 on: January 10, 2014, 10:03:45 PM »
Correct, and theyre technically 99a.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #597 on: January 10, 2014, 11:29:16 PM »
skimming through a few pages i noticed a few things

f4 aren't total flatspot garbage
there aren't any colors
they are packed horizontally

23 pages... yea so is this the holy grail of skateboard wheels? fucks sake

GY

« Reply #598 on: January 11, 2014, 07:00:22 AM »
Pretty bummed, mine got chipped up after a few days and I thought nothing of it, now they are just getting worse and sounding mad flat spotted.

KMAC

« Reply #599 on: January 11, 2014, 12:12:28 PM »
Pretty bummed, mine got chipped up after a few days and I thought nothing of it, now they are just getting worse and sounding mad flat spotted.

contact dlx man, they may hook u up.

i gotta say i just set up the 101's after some bones 100's i got and im feeling em. wheels are wheels, but if they manage not to flatspot, ill be skating em forever