Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 689665 times)

foureyedjim

Spitfire formula four
« on: February 13, 2013, 08:47:09 PM »
so what's the deal with these?
I've never heard anything about them until I saw them on instagram

pile

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 178
  • sweet, man.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 08:53:33 PM »
so what's the deal with these?
I've never heard anything about them until I saw them on instagram

someone gave the gobstopper to slugworth perhaps?

Ryantology

• Rep: 1
  • thingsgetweird.
    • thingsgetweird avatar image
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 09:09:59 PM »
they reeeeeaaal good.

b.v.

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 09:33:29 PM »
I've been riding them for the last year. Awesome feel, no flat spots, grip when you want and slide on command and noticably faster than anything else I've tried.
They are a true natural urethane color, that might be weird to some, you get used to it fast, especially considering how great the wheels are.
I think all the bugs are worked out, look for them soonish.
For those of you that have had poor luck with the fire in the past, these will not disappoint.

foureyedjim

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 09:36:57 PM »
I've been riding them for the last year. Awesome feel, no flat spots, grip when you want and slide on command and noticably faster than anything else I've tried.
They are a true natural urethane color, that might be weird to some, you get used to it fast, especially considering how great the wheels are.
I think all the bugs are worked out, look for them soonish.
For those of you that have had poor luck with the fire in the past, these will not disappoint.

sounds enticing
the f1's were the first "street" wheels I got but I was sorta bummed when they flatspotted (this was years ago, so they may have changed up the wheels a while ago).  I've ridden stf's for the longest time and I don't have huge complaints, but they can get pretty slippery on some surfaces.  I would have stuck with prize fighters had they not flat spotted as well.

Hopefully the formula fours will satisfy me

b.v.

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 09:40:38 PM »
I was also skeptical, on average f1's lasted me about 4 days before they were unrideable.
I rode bones because frankly they lasted the longest, they slide well but are too icy on some terrains.
I've had about 10 sets of the 4's, as they developed them, I skate a lot and tend to be really hard on wheels as I slide a ton, bluntslides,lipslides and lots of powerslides.
Have yet to flatspot a set. Not saying it can't be done on a long hill holding slides as long as you can, but with normal skating I haven't gotten one yet.

foureyedjim

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 09:49:00 PM »
I was also skeptical, on average f1's lasted me about 4 days before they were unrideable.
I rode bones because frankly they lasted the longest, they slide well but are too icy on some terrains.
I've had about 10 sets of the 4's, as they developed them, I skate a lot and tend to be really hard on wheels as I slide a ton, bluntslides,lipslides and lots of powerslides.
Have yet to flatspot a set. Not saying it can't be done on a long hill holding slides as long as you can, but with normal skating I haven't gotten one yet.

awesome, thanks for the info b.v.
the spring catalog is out already for spitfire, do you think they'll be out by summertime?

b.v.

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 09:55:25 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

the spring catalog is out already for spitfire, do you think they'll be out by summertime?

Hope so, really wanting to take some sales from Bones.

foureyedjim

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 10:05:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Loving the GY!BE Reference in your Cosby sig. Haha

haha yeah I had a good laugh when I saw it

ZEBRA

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 11:17:28 PM »
I heard that Spitfire is gonna start making a wheel that doesn't yellow as fast, like Bones. Any truth to that or has anyone else heard that??

Or maybe these are it??

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 11:28:18 PM »
I am officially interested.

I was a Spitfire supporter for a while, and wanted to keep supporting them super badly, but I just couldn't stand buying a set of wheels and having them flatspot and wear out in the blink of an eye. I've been on the STF bandwagon for a few years now. If these wheels are anywhere near as good as STFs, it will be what I am buying from now on.

ontheswarm

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 01:24:48 AM »
I am officially interested.

I was a Spitfire supporter for a while, and wanted to keep supporting them super badly, but I just couldn't stand buying a set of wheels and having them flatspot and wear out in the blink of an eye. I've been on the STF bandwagon for a few years now. If these wheels are anywhere near as good as STFs, it will be what I am buying from now on.
Might have to try these out after seeing Josh flat spot STFs haha He did the impossible

b.v.

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 07:09:43 AM »
Might have to try these out after seeing Josh flat spot STFs haha He did the impossible
Lately I have been seeing more stf's coming in to my shop flatspotted.
I don't think they're as good as they once were.

The Nose Face

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 8
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 07:10:24 AM »
People in the know have been talking about these Spirfire's for a while now on the boards. I def want to try them after a pair of Busenitz Street Burner I had flatspotted in literally one session...

I had these 54MM AWOL Spits, and they never gave me an issue. I think it's because the wheel wasn't wide - it was supposed to be better to lock into grinds. I still don't know what the difference between AWOL's and Lock-In's are...Anyone? Does anyone swear by these for their performance? It's kind of the opposite of that Wide Manderson Wheel you see around a lot now...

Either way - It's nice to see Spitfire making a splash in the market again. Always rode and liked them.

b.v.

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 07:31:42 AM »
Quote from: The Nose Face  link=topic=68020.msg1849395#msg1849395 date=1360854624
People in the know have been talking about these Spirfire's for a while now on the boards. I def want to try them after a pair of Busenitz Street Burner I had flatspotted in literally one session...

I had these 54MM AWOL Spits, and they never gave me an issue. I think it's because the wheel wasn't wide - it was supposed to be better to lock into grinds. I still don't know what the difference between AWOL's and Lock-In's are...Anyone? Does anyone swear by these for their performance? It's kind of the opposite of that Wide Manderson Wheel you see around a lot now...
Either way - It's nice to see Spitfire making a splash in the market again. Always rode and liked them.

AWOL cut is closer to the bones spf conical? shape

The flat edge locks into coping better, versus a radius cut that rolls off and releases from coping easier.
The lockins have a square backside and a conical shape on the front. So they're not reversible.
The shape I have been riding is a new one for spitfire, it is close to the bones spf shape but slightly wider.

foureyedjim

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2013, 08:27:52 AM »

The shape I have been riding is a new one for spitfire, it is close to the bones spf shape but slightly wider.

This is the kind of wheel I'm looking to buy once formula four is out.
They make the stfs in the v2 shape, which people say have problems with bearings popping out but I've had no such problems yet.
How are the emburs?  Like I said before, the last set of spitfires I rode/flatspotted were years ago, maybe spitfire has been improving the formula over the years?

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2013, 08:58:27 AM »
I've been playing around with a bunch of different wheel companies since I got pissed with flat-spotting spitfires. They're good while they last, they just need to last, I've tried Broadcast, Autobahn, Bones, Paradise, Momentum, OJIIIs, Pigs, and even Satoris. I'm on to this new brand called The Portland Wheel Co. now and haven't gotten to skate them yet. The Broadcast, Bones, Paradise and Satoris were all decently good wheels, but I'm really excited about being able to support Spitfire again with their new formula.

fookya

• Rep: -12
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2013, 09:13:35 AM »
I've been seeing pictures of these wheels here and there for the past year, I'm excited to try them. I've been riding pretty much only spitfire classics for a long time, I've never had problems with them flat spotting or anything and they feel great on all terrain. bones stf always felt shitty to me, more like plastic then urethan and slips on everything. I hope these come out good though, I would mind a spitfire that slid a tad bit easier.

solo

• Rep: -23
  • skateboarding
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2013, 09:39:12 AM »
the prototype f4's are the best wheels.

DarthMallGrab

• Rep: 0
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2013, 02:15:13 PM »
A few friends and I were lucky enough to get a tour around DLX by the man Mic-E himself. He gave us each a set of formula fours with just the classic team logo on them and the urethane is that natural off-white color which i think looks sick. The wheels are a lot slicker than any other spitfire wheel Iv ever ridden. I would put it just under stf's as far as slipperiness. Maybe more like the "skatepark formula".

Morty Seinfeld

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2013, 09:26:04 PM »
I've been playing around with a bunch of different wheel companies since I got pissed with flat-spotting spitfires. They're good while they last, they just need to last, I've tried Broadcast, Autobahn, Bones, Paradise, Momentum, OJIIIs, Pigs, and even Satoris. I'm on to this new brand called The Portland Wheel Co. now and haven't gotten to skate them yet. The Broadcast, Bones, Paradise and Satoris were all decently good wheels, but I'm really excited about being able to support Spitfire again with their new formula.

Prize Fighter Cutlery will not disappoint you

foureyedjim

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2013, 09:40:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Prize Fighter Cutlery will not disappoint you

Granted they only flatspotted on a pretty rough hill in SF, I'm still iffy about buying another set

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2013, 01:07:23 AM »
^

mine held up really good, i only changed my set because a) after riding them a lot for three months or so they just wore down below 51mm and i usually change em when they get to 50mm, b) i broke a few bearings mid session, went home and just couldn't pop out the outer ring of two broken bearings, so i ended up setting up new wheels and bearings because i was stocked on that at the time. i have a set of 54mm pfcs left that i will set up once the weather gets decent.

that said, the f4 spitfires sound a lot like they ride like pfcs which is cool because i can get them at my local. i'd rather like to be able to buy pfcs or sml. or whatever at more shops though. it's always the same, you got bones, spits, maybe autobahn or hubba, then the rest is some branded wheels which are usually hit or miss. why not leave out the branded crap and get a real alternative instead?

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2013, 12:05:09 PM »
I've been riding these since my trip to San Fransisco in June, they're amazing! I've had some chipping but it's only on the edges so I don?t notice it when riding. I used to only skate STF and didn't even bother with streetburners because I saw a lot of people flatspotting them, but I felt right at home with theese. super good wheels

I Can't Think

• Rep: 31
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2013, 07:41:24 PM »
I've been riding these since my trip to San Fransisco in June, they're amazing! I've had some chipping but it's only on the edges so I don?t notice it when riding. I used to only skate STF and didn't even bother with streetburners because I saw a lot of people flatspotting them, but I felt right at home with theese. super good wheels

You've just solidified my next wheel purchase. I rode STF until they were to small and ended up winning some element wheels which are meh (bearings pop out like crazy). This sounds like a less slippy but just as tough wheel

DeputyDoses

• Rep: 4
  • I look like Mel Gibson
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2013, 01:46:40 PM »
My first wheels were a pair of TNT edition Spitfire classics around 4 1/2 years ago. Needless to say, I wasn't very happy with their performance. And it's pretty expensive to buy new classics every month or two. SO, I've been riding Bones STFs for around 4 years. And I've skated a pair of Ricta naturals in between pairs of STFs a couple years back.
Now, I love bones, but I can completely agree that they can feel a bit too... Icy at times. But it's nothing horrendous.

I was never into the F1's, I know that a lot of pros had to promote the wheels, but most of them ended up just skating classics when it was all said and done. And I received mixed reviews from friends, so I said "fuck that shit."

If these Spits are really as good as people are saying they are, I might have to try out a pair.

Cameron Hoegee

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2013, 08:31:34 PM »
Quote from: The Nose Face  link=topic=68020.msg1849395#msg1849395 date=1360854624

See I had a different experience with these. they flat spotted every five fucking minutes and didn't lock in as well as they were meant to.

Hamish

• Rep: -4
  • is not Illusionary
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2013, 03:30:18 AM »
When do these drop?

imgne

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2013, 02:18:10 AM »
Quote from: The Nose Face ? link=topic=68020.msg1849395#msg1849395 date=1360854624
Expand Quote

[close]
See I had a different experience with these. they flat spotted every five fucking minutes and didn't lock in as well as they were meant to.

Those lock-in wheels are shithouse, the side with the graphic on it is the only side that will lock-in the way they're ment to... what is meant to be the inside is the same as any other shitfire wheel cut.

If you want a wheel that does lock-properly on both sides, get spf slims or gtfo!

rlang

• Rep: 19
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2013, 08:32:02 AM »
When the fuck are these coming out?