Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 690151 times)

johnes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #420 on: September 06, 2013, 05:39:21 PM »
I'm definitely liking the formula fours, they do slide slightly different (in a good way) from the last wheels I've had. For the past 2 years or so I've only had mini logo wheels. Right off the bat the mini logos are fine, but the difference with the spitfire is pretty nice. I waxed up the ledge at my park and tried some long front boards and the slide was very consistent and i wouldn't kind lose my balance as much as I normally would. I've only skated them twice, but I'm looking forward to seeing how long they last. Mini logo wheels would usually last me about 2 months before they got soft and slow. I guess time will tell how well these hold up.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #421 on: September 07, 2013, 12:41:52 AM »
i'm going to get me a set of these but i'm not exactly sure which ones i should buy. i'm interested on how they perform for powerslides, lipslides on ledges/curbs and hill-bombing. i mainly skate street. not much of a park rat.

are the 101s too slick? should i go with the 99s/classic shape?

Curbs, Powerslides and Hills is pretty much a day of skating for me, and the 99s held up well, they have the classic feel, but with a little more resistance i guess, 101s might be a little too slippery.

theblandest

• Rep: 12
« Reply #422 on: September 07, 2013, 01:23:34 PM »
Despite the mostly positive things mentioned in this thread and elsewhere, I have yet to sell many F4s at the shop surprisingly.

b.v.

« Reply #423 on: September 07, 2013, 07:03:25 PM »
Despite the mostly positive things mentioned in this thread and elsewhere, I have yet to sell many F4s at the shop surprisingly.
Well, like any good shop owner/employee to move product you need to back it. Meaning try them out, give endorsements,run promotions, help advertise whatever it is and make sure to always give positive re enforcement.
Otherwise the product gets lost in the case. Without you showing people that a superior quality product(whatever it might be)is available then of course only a few will search them out.
Jus sayin.

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #424 on: September 10, 2013, 07:33:31 PM »
These wheels seem to do well resisting the asphalt black plague that coats your wheels if you spend anytime in the NYC streets.  Maybe it's just because they have no tread but I don't think so. This alone puts them in a class by themselves to me, like spitfire really figured something out.  I tried stf's for the first time early in the summer and after finding the v2 shape, thought they would be my new go to wheel (not too plastic at all, which is why I avoided them for years.)

I'm on the classic 99's. But have the tablet 101's coming. I have a feeling those and the v2's will be at war for preferred status.

The no black plague thing is big, and the urethane does seem to be new level...But I'm not gonna front on stf's, the quality of which I've been marveling at all summer. 

It's a good time for wheels. haha

rlang

• Rep: 19
« Reply #425 on: September 11, 2013, 09:24:54 AM »
Just put on some 54 101 Classics the other day. They're not slick at all.  Good grip but slide too.  I'd been using the new 100 Street Burners since they came out, and these feel similar, but I definitely like them more,...so far. 

theblandest

« Reply #426 on: September 12, 2013, 11:42:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Well, like any good shop owner/employee to move product you need to back it. Meaning try them out, give endorsements,run promotions, help advertise whatever it is and make sure to always give positive re enforcement.
Otherwise the product gets lost in the case. Without you showing people that a superior quality product(whatever it might be)is available then of course only a few will search them out.
Jus sayin.

It's not like I don't try to sell them. We advertise them plenty and we relay everything about their superiority. In fact, I've never said anything about them negatively. It's just a thing right now I guess. 

sweat stains

• Rep: 33
  • slap sux
    • Shady Griptape avatar image
« Reply #427 on: September 12, 2013, 12:21:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Jus sayin.
[close]

It's not like I don't try to sell them. We advertise them plenty and we relay everything about their superiority. In fact, I've never said anything about them negatively. It's just a thing right now I guess. 
I'd guess that it's because kids don't like the color or the slightly higher price, because they don't think in the long term.
damn those yarys bout those squats

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #428 on: September 12, 2013, 12:52:58 PM »
I think kids do not give a fuck on any improvement in skateboarding wheel technologies. Since they don't have necessarily a lot of money they will get the cheapest models made by spitfire or bones, maybe pigs or ricta if they are into their marketing.

theblandest

« Reply #429 on: September 12, 2013, 04:22:50 PM »
I think kids do not give a fuck on any improvement in skateboarding wheel technologies. Since they don't have necessarily a lot of money they will get the cheapest models made by spitfire or bones, maybe pigs or ricta if they are into their marketing.

that's usually what I tell them. If they get a cheaper wheel, there's a chance that they'll flat spot in a week and then they're going to wish they spent that extra 7$ on the F4s

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #430 on: September 13, 2013, 01:55:48 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

that's usually what I tell them. If they get a cheaper wheel, there's a chance that they'll flat spot in a week and then they're going to wish they spent that extra 7$ on the F4s
Do you guys really flatspot wheels in one week? And even if you flatspot, doesn't it disappear after a couple of sessions?

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #431 on: September 13, 2013, 09:27:14 AM »
I have flatspotted wheels first day.  If I flatspot wheels, I just let them go depending on how much I liked them before it happened.  If I didn't like them much, I'll pass it on to the first kid with crusty wheels and the patience to try and fix the flat.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
« Reply #432 on: September 15, 2013, 12:21:45 AM »
I can't say I've ever actually flat spotted wheels, definitely never had the helicopter sound like some people get.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

Will Easley

« Reply #433 on: September 15, 2013, 12:52:41 AM »
Have been riding a set of the 52mm, 101a Tablet shaped ones for about a week now and they're pretty cool although I kinda wish I had paid more attention to the hardness when I bought them. the tablet shape is pretty much perfectly flat on the sides so you lock into grinds very well, which is nice, but since im out here in AZ where the ground isnt super shitty like in Illinois i feel like ive been sliding around a lot more than id like. especially at these smooth ass parks where ill do a trick down a set, land 99% perfect then slide out horizontally before riding away. shit also gets really scary if I come out of a fast, long grind kinda sketchy cuz i definitely slip out like fucking crazy at those speeds. overall they're pretty good "premium" wheels i guess.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #434 on: September 16, 2013, 10:24:41 AM »
been skating some Bones V2 shape squarish shaped wheels over the years, so decided to try out the F4 Tablets...

havent set them up yet, but here's a visual comparison of a Bones STF 54mm V2 an old pair of squarish wheels to a Spit F4 101a 53mm Tablet

Any wheel advice herein was not intended or written by the author to be used, and it cannot be used by any recipient, for the purpose of avoiding any wheel size, shape, and/or color penalties that may be imposed on any person.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 02:55:42 PM by art hellman »
hardly art, hardly starving

wallieD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #435 on: September 16, 2013, 10:42:18 AM »

JBones

• Rep: -88
« Reply #436 on: September 16, 2013, 02:19:45 PM »
been skating the Bones V2 shape over the years, so decided to try out the F4 Tablets...

havent set them up yet, but here's a visual comparison of a Bones STF 54mm V2 to a Spit F4 101a 53mm Tablet

Sorry bro, that's not a Bones V2 wheel. That's the Rat Bones II shape, the same as all the SPF bowl wheels. They come in 54x31, 56x32, 58x33 and 60x43...you have the 54 SPF's in that shape. They do also make this shape in STF, but only on the Skatopia wheel.
The Bones V2 is thinner width wise, and is completely flat on both sides, no cut in for weight like on your wheels, and less round on the lip. They look just like those Spitfire tablets. Sorry dude, whoever told you they that you had V2's was confused.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 02:21:16 PM by JBones »

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #437 on: September 16, 2013, 02:30:11 PM »
^^ oh no bro! this is just like the time I thought my trucks weighed 42.453 grams and not 43.476 grams. 

JBones

• Rep: -88
« Reply #438 on: September 16, 2013, 02:54:54 PM »
^^ oh no bro! this is just like the time I thought my trucks weighed 42.453 grams and not 43.476 grams. 

Hey, was just letting you know so you didn't judge the difference between 2 completely different shaped wheels.

Probably A Robot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
  • dancing about architecture
« Reply #439 on: September 16, 2013, 02:59:26 PM »
That's the Rat Bones II shape, the same as all the SPF bowl wheels. They do also make this shape in STF, but only on the Skatopia wheel.
Or these

"I'm regular, but I identify as switch backside."

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #440 on: September 16, 2013, 03:07:13 PM »
Expand Quote
^^ oh no bro! this is just like the time I thought my trucks weighed 42.453 grams and not 43.476 grams.? 

[close]

Hey, was just letting you know so you didn't judge the difference between 2 completely different shaped wheels.

yeah, i know.

it's just the use of the term "bro" makes me reflect on bad past experiences
Point Break - Fight Scene (Ca?adores de Emo??o)

was just going to bring up the B.A.K.U. wheels.  I had/have a couple sets of those...

sweat stains

• slap sux
« Reply #441 on: September 16, 2013, 04:19:04 PM »
What's the longest anyone on here has skated a set of these? I'm going on two and a half months and they still skate like they're brand new (in a good way)

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #442 on: September 16, 2013, 05:04:22 PM »
had mine for just under 18 months, still in mint condition
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

b.v.

« Reply #443 on: September 16, 2013, 06:21:06 PM »
I rode a set fpr 2 months and passed them to a friend who is still skating them.
He said they never flatted and refuses to give them up.

KMAC

• Rep: -10
« Reply #444 on: September 19, 2013, 02:13:32 PM »
just set up the 55 fulls and did a few powerslides and the feel is awesome! mad control, cant wait for them to wear down a bit tho cus 55 is kinda big. have any of ur guys' shrunk down or do they really stay the same throughout...

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #445 on: September 19, 2013, 02:45:19 PM »
set up the 53mm 101a tablets and skated the local park a bit.  at first blush, all that has been said is true...slide when you want, grip when you want.  don't feel a ton different than the 101a PFCs I've had in the past, other than the sliding is a little more "on demand."  i do like the "feel" of them more than Bones... but lets see how they do with time (which based on everyones' comments so far, will be good). 

KMAC

• Rep: -10
« Reply #446 on: September 23, 2013, 06:39:00 PM »
these wheels are fucking great, same spitfire feel with an even more controlled slide. someone should let me know some details on the shrinkage tho

sweat stains

• slap sux
« Reply #447 on: September 23, 2013, 06:44:43 PM »
these wheels are fucking great, same spitfire feel with an even more controlled slide. someone should let me know some details on the shrinkage tho
Just checked mine out right now, they started off as 53mm, and two and a half months later they're just barely smaller than a set of new 52s I had laying around.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #448 on: September 23, 2013, 07:04:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Just checked mine out right now, they started off as 53mm, and two and a half months later they're just barely smaller than a set of new 52s I had laying around.

I got mine as 53's. About a month into skating they had shrunken down to the size of 51's (I dont have a car so I skate everywhere, and the ground here can be pretty rough sometimes, so them shrinking down fast was kind of expected), but then after that they've pretty much stayed in that 51 size range ever since. It's been almost three months of having them now, I still skate everywhere on the rough grounds, but they're still the same size, around 51mm. Pretty weird, it's almost like after they reached a certain point of shrinking they just stopped shrinking, I can dig it though.
So far they're still great wheels. Only complaint is that on two of the wheels there are teeny chunks missing on the sides, but other than that I got no real complaints, they're still treating me well.

Tuna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #449 on: September 24, 2013, 12:14:25 AM »
I thought i had flatspotted mine today, but upon closer inspection it was just some asshole kid's gum he had spit on the ground at the skatepark.