Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 689353 times)

KMAC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -10
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #510 on: November 12, 2013, 11:40:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
so i got some 101 oj's coming off of some f4 fulls and i miss the spits already, its just full shape turned out being a bit too grippy in the streets once they got soft. the OJ's are better but I could still use a little more slide. Do you think I should opt for the 101 f4's next or was the grippiness of the 99's just due to the wider riding surface? anyone skate both duros and wanna lemme know wasup?
[close]

Here's the thing with the F4's. (in my own personal experience)

I've been riding F4's for about a year and a few months in, it started with the green ones (and some blueish ones) that Damon sent me. Those were THE BEST F4's I've ridden. It seemed too perfect. I dont want to rely on the Slap cliche but I do skate hills as much as I can.

Now, the ones they released for the public are the ones everyone is riding. Right now I have the blue ones (99 duro) and those are great. I've had the 101 duro and those were also prime. The difference that I felt with the 101's is that they felt close to F1's. I still heard that signature Spitfire screech the wheels make when you powerslide and they did flatspot (albeit VERY TINY which went away after skating two hours straight). The 99 duros that I have right now are the grippiest (a bit "gummy" if that makes sense) wheels I've had. I powerslide in these and they have not flatspotted at all. But I do get a bit annoyed sometimes of the gumminess of the wheel especially when I'm skating ledges; they seem to stick to the ledge more than the 101 Duro F4's. All in all, both wheels are the best wheels in the market right now (i'm not knocking down Bones, they make great wheels as well but that plastic feel is the reason why I gave up on them) and Spitfire deserves the amount of praise they've been getting lately because of the F4's.
Just consider the type of skating you do, whether parks, street, whatever, and pick whichever wheel would go best with you. I skate street more often than parks so the next wheels I'm going to skate (and for a long while) would be the 101A Duros. Just try 'em out.
[close]

wow son good looks! made the choice really easy. once these oj's are dead im definitely gonna cop some 101's since i rlly liked streetburners too
[close]

no problem dad, anything for you

lol, not tryna be that dude, but did you find the 101's were at least somewhat grippy? im not tryna be spinnin out doughnuts on transitions and shit

escapistfool

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #511 on: November 12, 2013, 12:40:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
so i got some 101 oj's coming off of some f4 fulls and i miss the spits already, its just full shape turned out being a bit too grippy in the streets once they got soft. the OJ's are better but I could still use a little more slide. Do you think I should opt for the 101 f4's next or was the grippiness of the 99's just due to the wider riding surface? anyone skate both duros and wanna lemme know wasup?
[close]

I've been riding F4's for about a year and a few months in, it started with the green ones (and some blueish ones) that Damon sent me. Those were THE BEST F4's I've ridden. It seemed too perfect. I dont want to rely on the Slap cliche but I do skate hills as much as I can.

Now, the ones they released for the public are the ones everyone is riding. Right now I have the blue ones (99 duro) and those are great. I've had the 101 duro and those were also prime. The difference that I felt with the 101's is that they felt close to F1's. I still heard that signature Spitfire screech the wheels make when you powerslide and they did flatspot (albeit VERY TINY which went away after skating two hours straight). The 99 duros that I have right now are the grippiest (a bit "gummy" if that makes sense) wheels I've had. I powerslide in these and they have not flatspotted at all. But I do get a bit annoyed sometimes of the gumminess of the wheel especially when I'm skating ledges; they seem to stick to the ledge more than the 101 Duro F4's. All in all, both wheels are the best wheels in the market right now (i'm not knocking down Bones, they make great wheels as well but that plastic feel is the reason why I gave up on them) and Spitfire deserves the amount of praise they've been getting lately because of the F4's.
Just consider the type of skating you do, whether parks, street, whatever, and pick whichever wheel would go best with you. I skate street more often than parks so the next wheels I'm going to skate (and for a long while) would be the 101A Duros. Just try 'em out.
[close]

wow son good looks! made the choice really easy. once these oj's are dead im definitely gonna cop some 101's since i rlly liked streetburners too
[close]

[close]

lol, not tryna be that dude, but did you find the 101's were at least somewhat grippy? im not tryna be spinnin out doughnuts on transitions and shit

The 99's are grippier if that gives you an idea

dask8d00d

« Reply #512 on: November 12, 2013, 02:32:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

101's are slick as shit if you're skating parks or areas with smooth ground. I would literally jump down stairs and slide out sideways upon impact. i tried to skate mine for like a week or so but couldn't do it because i was slipping out with damn near everything. 99's work for me just fine tho. If still lived back in illinois i'd probably be riding the 101's cuz the ground is a lot rougher there, but theres no way id skate them out here on the west coast.

KMAC

« Reply #513 on: November 12, 2013, 04:46:44 PM »
The 99's are grippier if that gives you an idea

i understand that, the 99s were pretty slick when i first got em but then went kinda soft after a while. the guminess was annoying. if the 101 is not much slicker than the streetburners I should be good. as long as theyre not like bones stf...

101's are slick as shit if you're skating parks or areas with smooth ground. I would literally jump down stairs and slide out sideways upon impact. i tried to skate mine for like a week or so but couldn't do it because i was slipping out with damn near everything. 99's work for me just fine tho. If still lived back in illinois i'd probably be riding the 101's cuz the ground is a lot rougher there, but theres no way id skate them out here on the west coast.

yea i could see that, but im out here in miami where the ground aint the nicest, even these 101 ojs arent slidey enough for me
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 05:26:22 PM by KMAC »

b.v.

« Reply #514 on: November 12, 2013, 04:55:19 PM »
Does anyone know if they make the 99 in a size bigger than 58?
It's the indoor park time of year so it's rightfully vert season. I know a couple of millimeters don't make that much of a difference, but the taller the wheel size the wider the riding surface with their full shape wheels. I also don't want Bones because I've always been a spitfire kind of person
Not yet Tom. Seems like expanding the shape/size choices is slow going until they can master producing them in larger numbers.
I am hoping they cut back on the 50-52 choices and add a few more 57-60 choices in different shapes. .

Dr Steve Brule

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
« Reply #515 on: November 13, 2013, 02:22:32 PM »
Don't try dying them orange.  It doesn't work
For Your Health

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • the moon rules
« Reply #516 on: November 13, 2013, 02:58:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Does anyone know if they make the 99 in a size bigger than 58?
It's the indoor park time of year so it's rightfully vert season. I know a couple of millimeters don't make that much of a difference, but the taller the wheel size the wider the riding surface with their full shape wheels. I also don't want Bones because I've always been a spitfire kind of person
[close]
Not yet Tom. Seems like expanding the shape/size choices is slow going until they can master producing them in larger numbers.
I am hoping they cut back on the 50-52 choices and add a few more 57-60 choices in different shapes. .
i buckled down and had orchard order me the 58's and thunder 151's. now I just have to wait for them to come in. Still riding my 54's on my street setup. A little chunk came out of one of the wheels, but I also skate down really crappy New England roads on a daily basis. Besides that they're still going strong; pretty much the same shape, size, and color as the day I set them up. They also haven't gone soft on me. When I'd ride the street burners, especially the colored ones, they'd sometimes go soft after a few weeks and I could feel my speed decreasing over time. These are still going fast

The first time riding them I couldn't believe how they powerslid fast without shooting out, yet they grip the ground even when you land slightly sideways. I'm hoping out for some color choices in the future, because white wheels all the time are boring
fuck you bama

KMAC

« Reply #517 on: November 13, 2013, 09:42:08 PM »
IF ANYONE HAS 101 CLASSICS IN A 52-54 THEY WANNA SELL, PM ME!

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #518 on: November 13, 2013, 09:51:03 PM »
Anybody tried dying these yet?
jaime thomas spray-painted the outside part?
GET SET UP I JAMIE THOMAS
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

Tuna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #519 on: November 14, 2013, 01:06:24 AM »
I haven't technically flatspotted them but there is a chunk missing from one of my wheels that feels like a small flatspot.

wallieD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #520 on: November 17, 2013, 03:07:38 AM »
are they 101a or 99's? the times i've tried to rit dye wheels it only worked on the ones 99a and softer

Dr Steve Brule

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
« Reply #521 on: November 17, 2013, 07:24:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
are they 101a or 99's? the times i've tried to rit dye wheels it only worked on the ones 99a and softer

These are the 99's.  Something about the formula 4's won't dye
For Your Health

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #522 on: November 17, 2013, 07:48:58 PM »
I wanna see the results of the diy color dyes!
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Life Fast Johnny

« Reply #523 on: November 22, 2013, 05:45:10 PM »
I have just about worn out my set of 51mm 101 Classics and thought I'd throw my results out there.  I live in TN and usually skate paved lots and side streets that are super crusty and hard on wheels.  For comparison purposes, I can usually wear through a set of regular Spitfire 99a Classics in a month.

Spitfire Formula Four 51mm 101a Classic Shape

PROS:
-Abrasion resistance.  Normally I will have huge tears and holes in the riding surface by now.  I have one tiny piece out in 2 months.
-Smooth Ride.   Especially considering the 101 durometer.
-Fast.  Great wheel speed for a smaller wheel.

CONS:
-Low rebound.  These felt like they had the least rebound of any Spitfire I've ever skated.  Much less than F1's even.
-Cost.  These cost about $12-$15 more than other wheels and probably don't produce an ROI that justifies their price.

In the end I think they lived up to the claims about speed and wear but I prefer something with more rebound.  I may try some Autobahn's next.

toque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
    • Portmanteau avatar image
« Reply #524 on: November 22, 2013, 06:50:12 PM »
WTF is rebound,  bro?  And why do people want colored wheels? That's like skating painted trucks... You dudes in 7th grade tho? 

My F4s have been real good

wheee!

LennyDLXSF

• Rep: 77
  • Deluxe Customer Service
« Reply #525 on: December 06, 2013, 11:00:23 AM »
I haven't technically flatspotted them but there is a chunk missing from one of my wheels that feels like a small flatspot.

That may be a defect. If you email me a photo i can most likely replace the set for you!

[email protected]

louie_bk

« Reply #526 on: December 06, 2013, 02:53:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That may be a defect. If you email me a photo i can most likely replace the set for you!

[email protected]

Any word on orange formula fours?

Noid

• Rep: 5
« Reply #527 on: December 07, 2013, 01:04:27 PM »

This was the result of the 99 f4s dyed with half a pack of black rit. I let them soak for 50 mins. Not to pretty

« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 01:07:20 PM by Noid »

foureyedjim

« Reply #528 on: December 07, 2013, 01:22:28 PM »
haha...it looks like a potato

JBones

• Rep: -88
« Reply #529 on: December 07, 2013, 01:58:06 PM »
Did you boil the water? Get that water as humanly hot as possible and with black dye just use the whole packet in only about a half gallon of water. Let sit for at least a day or 2. Bones STF's took 4 days and it was still faint. Nav's dyes Spitfire Classics over the course of a month. So be patient. It ain't gunna be a quick thing.
The softer the wheel, the better it will dye, the harder the more dense it is and harder to get color into the urethane.
I've dyed a bunch of sets and the wheels that took the best dye job were 97a Powell wheels. They were perfectly a bright blue in a day.
Harder wheels you need more time, and more dye. In the end it's a pain, but it can be done.
Good luck dude and be patient!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 02:00:51 PM by JBones »

wallieD

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #530 on: December 07, 2013, 05:54:16 PM »
Did you boil the water? Get that water as humanly hot as possible and with black dye just use the whole packet in only about a half gallon of water. Let sit for at least a day or 2. Bones STF's took 4 days and it was still faint. Nav's dyes Spitfire Classics over the course of a month. So be patient. It ain't gunna be a quick thing.
The softer the wheel, the better it will dye, the harder the more dense it is and harder to get color into the urethane.
I've dyed a bunch of sets and the wheels that took the best dye job were 97a Powell wheels. They were perfectly a bright blue in a day.
Harder wheels you need more time, and more dye. In the end it's a pain, but it can be done.
didn't you also do them in 10 minutes on the stove?

JBones

« Reply #531 on: December 07, 2013, 08:18:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
didn't you also do them in 10 minutes on the stove?

Not me dude.

Slappy_Happy

• Rep: -11
« Reply #532 on: December 07, 2013, 09:22:25 PM »
I've been skating my formula fours over the past couple weeks at my local indoor park since the winter is here.  Its so slippery and I haven't slipped out once and these wheels have amazing traction.  I back these things sooo hard and won't be buying anything else as long as they make these
the evidence seems to be in the highwaters.

JBones

« Reply #533 on: December 08, 2013, 01:42:24 AM »
I've been skating my formula fours over the past couple weeks at my local indoor park since the winter is here.  Its so slippery and I haven't slipped out once and these wheels have amazing traction.  I back these things sooo hard and won't be buying anything else as long as they make these

I hear ya. The indoor park I go to is really slippery as well and the Formula Four 99a's have been the best wheel I've ever used there.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 02:27:23 AM by JBones »

Wizard Fight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #534 on: December 17, 2013, 02:30:00 AM »
All wheels are going to get flat spots if you try hard enough, just some more easily than others.

liltropicalboy

• Rep: 2
« Reply #535 on: December 19, 2013, 01:34:17 AM »
i'm having a hard time picking between the 99s and the 100s. i live in pennsylvania so the street is extremely rough and crusty and i find myself going to parks occasionally. any suggestions?

Wizard Fight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #536 on: December 19, 2013, 04:50:03 AM »
i'm having a hard time picking between the 99s and the 100s. i live in pennsylvania so the street is extremely rough and crusty and i find myself going to parks occasionally. any suggestions?

I looked at them both at the shop and bought the 54mm 101s. I went in thinking I'd buy the 99s but they were a lot softer than I expected, and you can kinda dig your fingernail into them. the 101s are your average rock hard street wheel, maybe even a little harder or more slippery feeling  to me. I live in Eugene, Oregon and most of the roads are fucked here too, but I think the 101s are the way to go for street skating.

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • the moon rules
« Reply #537 on: December 19, 2013, 05:44:56 AM »
I have slight flatspots on the 99's I got. I have no clue how I got them because I only use the wheels on Masonite ramps, but they're there. I can feel them when I ride on smooth surfaces. It's not the end of the world. They still grip better than anything else out there
fuck you bama

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #538 on: December 19, 2013, 05:47:29 AM »
i finally flatspotted the 101s after like 3 months, i dont even care these wheels are the best

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #539 on: December 23, 2013, 07:19:47 PM »
So I noticed today that one of my wheels is starting to cone but not the other three. Weird, because I've never just had one do it on its own.