Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 689248 times)

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #930 on: October 18, 2014, 09:24:23 PM »
ive skated just 3 sets of F4's in the last 12 months.. 2 sets of the 99a's and one of the 101s.. i prefer the 99s all the way.. good fucking solid lasting durable wheels!!!
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Paco Supreme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #931 on: October 18, 2014, 10:23:50 PM »
Expand Quote
took these down too a 49 after 5 months of skating, feels so weird putting new 53's on, hopefully get to put them through hell today
[close]
Wow, it still looks in good condition too.

yeah they're still in a pretty decent way, i put them on this micro cruiser thing i've got, they slip something fierce though hence why i needed a change

MostlyLurkin'

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
« Reply #932 on: November 10, 2014, 06:05:47 PM »
Not sure if Im going to buy the conical or conical full F4's next.. Think the full's might actually be to wide for me. Could someone post a picture that shows the riding surface of them?
Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 07:51:33 PM by MostlyLurkin' »

CINCINNATI

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #933 on: November 10, 2014, 06:14:53 PM »
are the mike andersen sfw non formula 4 the same width as conical fulls?

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #934 on: November 10, 2014, 07:13:42 PM »
Not sure if Im going to buy the conical or conical full F1's next.. Think the full's might actually be to wide for me. Could someone post a picture that shows the riding surface of them?
Thanks!
Don't have a skateshop near you? You should be fully lurkin after a post like that

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #935 on: November 10, 2014, 07:15:58 PM »
are the mike andersen sfw non formula 4 the same width as conical fulls?

As close as you're gonna get, mandersons are a half mm wider but the difference is negligible, try them out, i love my set

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #936 on: November 10, 2014, 07:16:31 PM »

MostlyLurkin'

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #937 on: November 10, 2014, 07:50:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Not sure if Im going to buy the conical or conical full F1's next.. Think the full's might actually be to wide for me. Could someone post a picture that shows the riding surface of them?
Thanks!
[close]
Don't have a skateshop near you? You should be fully lurkin after a post like that

I usually dont reply to T-racer posts, but yeah. I have a couple of local shops, but none of them have F4's.

imgne

« Reply #938 on: November 10, 2014, 10:41:10 PM »
So as a person who swears by Bones wheels, I can honestly say that Spitfire F4 wheels are pretty damn amazing, but they don't last as long as bones do on shit surfaces, I've sold a few sets of F4's to have costumers come back requesting bones instead, one set of the 99a F4's started to bubble apart, i kinda put it down for being a dud set, but as time has gone one, as much as we sell them, the f4's get some weird reviews locally.

I think its just come down to personal preference, some people just don't like spitfire and some people simply don't like bones, obviously they're other wheels on the market, but in our stors, its STF vs F4 all the way...

I will say this, for guys who like bones but also like them to slide a bit more like spitfires, get coloured formula's, for some strange reason they seem to slide way better than the standard white. (would be curious to know if anyone agree's with me & could possibly explain why that is?)

Overall, F4's have saved spitfire from just being that wheel brand with the really known logo, to being a proper wheel company again!

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #939 on: November 11, 2014, 11:02:22 AM »
on my 3rd set in a little over a year

why the fuck would you ride anything else

TehPwnzorer

• Rep: -17
« Reply #940 on: November 11, 2014, 12:38:32 PM »
on my 3rd set in a little over a year

why the fuck would you ride anything else
To remind yourself how good they actually are once you get spoiled and take the product for standard granted.

Like when I decided to try out Thunders after riding Indys for around 7 years. Can't really say I was enjoying skating at all the 3 months I put out with those trucks. Now I'm back on Indys again and asking myself why I even decided to switch in the first place.... Same concept goes for wheels too.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #941 on: November 13, 2014, 02:04:57 PM »
Not sure if Im going to buy the conical or conical full F4's next.. Think the full's might actually be to wide for me. Could someone post a picture that shows the riding surface of them?
Thanks!

I usually ride classics, tried the Conical Fulls and the seemed really wide, with no real benefit (they were still super awesomely slidable)? I'm going to pick up some straight conicals next.

TehPwnzorer

« Reply #942 on: November 14, 2014, 04:22:03 AM »
Conical & Conical Full. Both being 52mm

BMCsteve

« Reply #943 on: November 14, 2014, 09:27:50 AM »
Excuse my ignorance but what are the advantages of a wider riding surface outside of more grip in transition?  It seems like for street skating it wouldn't be ideal because a wider wheel in theory would be slower with more rolling resistance, more surface area to catch on pebbles or shit in the road and I'm guessing it takes more effort to slide
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 11:11:45 AM by BMCsteve »

eatshitbum

• Rep: 9
« Reply #944 on: November 14, 2014, 09:31:11 AM »
So I just set-up some 99a 53mm Ishod F4s with a new pair of trucks (Thunder 147s). I was riding 100a 53mm F1 Streetburners for the past ~year. Definitely liking the F4s but I'm not sure how much of it is due to new/fast wheels/bearings. They do seem to slide better than the F1s while riding/feeling "softer" (if that makes any sense at all...). Also grabbed a set of 53mm 101a F4s to try but it looks like winter's here to stay.

Is it just me or do these wheels "sound" dead?? Grabbed my board from the trunk, dropped it on the ground and the "thunkclunk" sounded a lot closer to shitty blank wheels than my F1s did. They skated perfectly fine pop-wise but the sound was a bit of a throw-off for the first couple of ollies

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #945 on: November 14, 2014, 10:13:44 AM »
So I just set-up some 99a 53mm Ishod F4s with a new pair of trucks (Thunder 147s). I was riding 100a 53mm F1 Streetburners for the past ~year. Definitely liking the F4s but I'm not sure how much of it is due to new/fast wheels/bearings. They do seem to slide better than the F1s while riding/feeling "softer" (if that makes any sense at all...). Also grabbed a set of 53mm 101a F4s to try but it looks like winter's here to stay.

Is it just me or do these wheels "sound" dead?? Grabbed my board from the trunk, dropped it on the ground and the "thunkclunk" sounded a lot closer to shitty blank wheels than my F1s did. They skated perfectly fine pop-wise but the sound was a bit of a throw-off for the first couple of ollies

Axle bolts too tight? I find that boards can sound dead (and wheels are not as screechy) of there is no play on the wheels.

LennyDLXSF

• Rep: 77
  • Deluxe Customer Service
« Reply #946 on: November 14, 2014, 11:19:44 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Axle bolts too tight? I find that boards can sound dead (and wheels are not as screechy) of there is no play on the wheels.

New bearings will also change the sound a bit until the grease gets worn down.

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #947 on: November 14, 2014, 12:07:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

This. While new bearings/wheels  should feel great, often times the first day or two the wheels feel almost softer than they really are, give it a bit.

eatshitbum

« Reply #948 on: November 14, 2014, 12:55:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
This. While new bearings/wheels  should feel great, often times the first day or two the wheels feel almost softer than they really are, give it a bit.

Cool, thanks very much for the replies guys. My axle bolts definitely aren't too tight (I always leave a little wiggle room) but great suggestion Xen. Lenny/144p, the bearings are new so it sounds I'll have to skate em down some more.

Thinking about it now, the F4s also sounded different when "digging into" bs 180s... almost like they "glided" more. Definitely need to skate the F4s more but I'm thinking there's something cool going on here feel-wise.

TehPwnzorer

« Reply #949 on: November 14, 2014, 03:18:33 PM »
Excuse my ignorance but what are the advantages of a wider riding surface outside of more grip in transition?  It seems like for street skating it wouldn't be ideal because a wider wheel in theory would be slower with more rolling resistance, more surface area to catch on pebbles or shit in the road and I'm guessing it takes more effort to slide
No advantages really... I don't even feel them gripping that much more than the classic shape tbh. 149s are too big for me so the conical full are perfect for those trucks. Giving me a little more width makes me think the hanger is smaller than it actually is. I got the regular conical on my main setup. No advantages whatsoever. You lock in just as good with the classic shape. I've always prefered conical shapes over classic. Was riding Bones v2 all the time before F4 got out on the market. That's all there's to it.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 03:22:18 PM by TehPwnzorer »

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #950 on: November 14, 2014, 04:56:11 PM »
Having skated multiple sets of classics, full cuts, conicals and concial full i can say in the 99 that there is a difference in grip and stability in the different shapes. In the 101's they all feel about the same, the conical fulls are a little more grippy but not much.
On a fresh back top road the conical fulls struggle to break into a slide vs a classic cut acts like it would on any surface.
Mostly I notice the square shape holding a ledge or coping edge better vs a radial classic that rolls out much easier.

TehPwnzorer

« Reply #951 on: November 15, 2014, 03:09:41 PM »
I take it all back. It's indoor season here so I've only tried the conicals on slippery wooden floor. I couldn't feel the difference on the slippery wooden floor but I felt a difference on the outdoor concrete floor today. They actually do grip. There's a noticeable difference between classic and conicals gripping wise. Probably even more noticeable with the conical full that I didn't get to try since I no longer use the 149 setup. That goes for the 99 duro. Also felt a little better lock on the smaller cooping which I couldn't notice on heavier coopings.

Everything 144p said above is on point.

MostlyLurkin'

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #952 on: November 15, 2014, 05:01:44 PM »
Quote from: TehPwnzorer  link=topic=68020.msg2242110#msg2242110 date=1415967723
Conical & Conical Full. Both being 52mm

Thanks dude. That's exactly the kind of picture I was looking for. Gnar's for you, sir!

eatshitbum

« Reply #953 on: December 09, 2014, 04:40:51 PM »
Ok, I hate to bump a topic that's faded a bit but no better thread to toss this...

All of the snow we got melted over the past couple of days so I skated flat yesterday for a quick 20 minutes. Went to check my board today and saw this...

I don't want to take them back to my shop and be a pain in the ass... shit happens. This was definitely from a rock while trying to "skid out" a couple bs180s. That said, I can definitely feel/hear the "flatspot" and while I know it'll skate down, I paid full price and the wheels have under 5 hrs of riding on them.

Any recommendations? Already bought a set of F1 streetburners to ride but this is a bit disappointing given the hype these wheels have gotten

BMCsteve

« Reply #954 on: December 09, 2014, 04:44:46 PM »
Hit up DLX.  They will help you out.  One thing that I love about them is they simply stand by all of their products.  I never hesitate to buy anything from them because I know if I have an issue, they'll make it right.

Probably the best dudes in the skate industry when it comes to taking care of their customers

eatshitbum

« Reply #955 on: December 09, 2014, 04:55:49 PM »
Hit up DLX.  They will help you out.  One thing that I love about them is they simply stand by all of their products.  I never hesitate to buy anything from them because I know if I have an issue, they'll make it right.

Probably the best dudes in the skate industry when it comes to taking care of their customers

thanks Steve. do DLX reps still hit up this thread or is facebook my best bet? I've seen a few posting before. I'm planning on dealing with this fully tomorrow (got a big exam at 9 am).

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #956 on: December 09, 2014, 06:05:28 PM »
Ok, I hate to bump a topic that's faded a bit but no better thread to toss this...

All of the snow we got melted over the past couple of days so I skated flat yesterday for a quick 20 minutes. Went to check my board today and saw this...

I don't want to take them back to my shop and be a pain in the ass... shit happens. This was definitely from a rock while trying to "skid out" a couple bs180s. That said, I can definitely feel/hear the "flatspot" and while I know it'll skate down, I paid full price and the wheels have under 5 hrs of riding on them.

Any recommendations? Already bought a set of F1 streetburners to ride but this is a bit disappointing given the hype these wheels have gotten

this happened to me on some f4 52mm classic shaped 99a's and fixed it self within one session of just rolling it self out...

[

LennyDLXSF

• Rep: 77
  • Deluxe Customer Service
« Reply #957 on: December 09, 2014, 08:20:16 PM »

PM'd!

eatshitbum

« Reply #958 on: December 09, 2014, 09:13:34 PM »
this happened to me on some f4 52mm classic shaped 99a's and fixed it self within one session of just rolling it self out...

Thanks for the feedback fulfillthedream. These are the 99a's and it definitely looks/feels like it'll skate itself out (which is why I didn't go back to my shop) but...

PM'd!

... good thing DLXSF has the whole "customer service" thing on lockdown. Thanks again for the help everyone/DLXSF and Lenny, I would totally gnar you if I could!

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #959 on: December 09, 2014, 11:52:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks for the feedback fulfillthedream. These are the 99a's and it definitely looks/feels like it'll skate itself out (which is why I didn't go back to my shop) but...

Expand Quote
PM'd!
[close]

... good thing DLXSF has the whole "customer service" thing on lockdown. Thanks again for the help everyone/DLXSF and Lenny, I would totally gnar you if I could!

fuck yeah- DLX's assurance on quality is ON POINT... I've had a few "damaged" products after the usual wear and tear of skateboarding but it's sick they're down to honor their warranties 100%

a homie of mine posted some 2 year old thunders that were down to the aceels on instagram- there was a small little crack but the trucks were on their way out any how- Jim T commented "we'll replace those" and my homie declined the offer cause he felt he got his money's worth...

[