Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 689550 times)

fleabagmatt and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

LennyDLXSF

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 77
  • Deluxe Customer Service
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #1020 on: April 24, 2015, 07:31:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I wouldn't normally bother with this, but I recently got some 52mm Luan Conical F4's, only skated to the shops on them twice and they chunked on me already and that really doesn't seem right to me. The last set of F4's I had were great and lasted months. I live in London, UK though and not quite sure who is best to contact with this? Any help much appreciated!
[close]
I see what your saying, but man, skate down a hill and do some reverts and or over some tight packed cobbles stones, "problem"solved. We got rough ground in Canada and shitty sidewalks too and every set of wheels i ride does this(usually in the first few days) and the performance is NOT effected. No sense wasting a perfectly good set of new wheels. Amazing wheels at that.
[close]

You're right, like I said it wouldn't normally bother me, just seemed a bit off when it happened after 10-15 minutes only skating down the street! Never happened to any wheels I had before, I'd normally expect a bit more wear before this sort of thing. I guess London has a lot to answer for tbh!

Check your PM's.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #1021 on: April 24, 2015, 07:31:48 AM »
Minor chipping like that might be normal with a hard edged wheel.
In A day or two it will be gone.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1022 on: April 24, 2015, 08:15:26 AM »
similar thing happened to my current set, not a chunk missing but a micro flat spot right on the edge i figured its just from conicals/conical fulls being a squarer wheel.

Like everyone else is saying, do a couple powerslides or something and it'll be gone

shotformeat

• Rep: 5
« Reply #1023 on: April 24, 2015, 08:32:49 AM »
Man, those guys at DLXSF are seriously the best! They said it was definitely a defect and are sending out a new set. It's good to know they've got your back and that their guarantee actually means something. I'll always back their product, it's good to know they'll back it up too.  

saltusnaut

• Rep: 36
« Reply #1024 on: April 25, 2015, 01:10:11 PM »
Both my conicals and my classic f4 have little chunks missing. The conicals chipped first session on them. I really don't feel it when riding tho. I was bummed at first but since it doesn't seem to affect the performance I just kept skating them. My classic shaped f4 didn't chip until I powerslid over some screws in my local indoor park. So to me it seems the conicals are more prone to chipping.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #1025 on: April 25, 2015, 01:30:26 PM »
Funny that I'm seeing lot of complaints about chunks missing from wheels, that shit actually happened to me on a set of STFs I'm currently riding. The F4s I had were getting worn down too small for my tastes, so I set up a set of old but still in good condition STFs I had lying around, that I've maybe used for only a month and a half previously before switching them out. After the second session with them again I look at one of my wheels and notice this:

You probably can't tell from the angle of the picture but the chunk actually goes pretty deep in.
Gonna try to contact skateone soon about it. Though I heard their customer service is hit or miss compared to DLXs.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #1026 on: April 26, 2015, 01:18:38 AM »
Funny that I'm seeing lot of complaints about chunks missing from wheels, that shit actually happened to me on a set of STFs I'm currently riding. The F4s I had were getting worn down too small for my tastes, so I set up a set of old but still in good condition STFs I had lying around, that I've maybe used for only a month and a half previously before switching them out. After the second session with them again I look at one of my wheels and notice this:

You probably can't tell from the angle of the picture but the chunk actually goes pretty deep in.
Gonna try to contact skateone soon about it. Though I heard their customer service is hit or miss compared to DLXs.

You people need to understand that wheels are rolling in the ground, a ground that is not clean or smooth! There is small stones, glasses, irregular paviment (etc...) that can fuck your wheels. That doesnt mean it is a defect. The other day i was skating this Haze wheels, doing some lipslides, then i hear that sound of a flatspot. I look down to my set up and see that there are chunks missing from my wheels, right in the middle and big ones! I notice later that the marble ledge had a crack and that crack was like a razorblade for the wheels, there was still my missing chunks of wheel. Is not a wheel defect, it's my fault.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 05:58:33 AM by Sk.A.T.A.N »

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1027 on: April 26, 2015, 02:49:34 AM »
^^^
I am aware, but I am also aware that something like what happened to my wheel isn't exactly something that is an everyday thing. I probably should've mentioned in my previous post that that chunk happened from running over a little pebble. I've had a few sets of F4s, some other STFs in the past, street burners, and countless other kinds of wheels throughout the years, and I've never had this happen with any other wheel from just running over a pebble, let alone anything like that happen ever, til now that is. So you can see why I was a bit taken back by that when I saw it. And like I said, you can't really tell by the photo, but it's a pretty big and deep chunk missing. A decent wheel should not have chunks missing from just running over pebbles.

Nacnud

• Rep: 9
« Reply #1028 on: April 26, 2015, 03:02:56 AM »
^^^
I am aware, but I am also aware that something like what happened to my wheel isn't exactly something that is an everyday thing. I probably should've mentioned in my previous post that that chunk happened from running over a little pebble. I've had a few sets of F4s, some other STFs in the past, street burners, and countless other kinds of wheels throughout the years, and I've never had this happen with any other wheel from just running over a pebble, let alone anything like that happen ever, til now that is. So you can see why I was a bit taken back by that when I saw it. And like I said, you can't really tell by the photo, but it's a pretty big and deep chunk missing. A decent wheel should not have chunks missing from just running over pebbles.
[/quote

That is one old wheel. No need to complain about a chunk missing. It has no relation to the riding surface. Just keep on pushing through IT!!!!
" I just shot him, dying was between him and God"  R L Burnside

fangen

« Reply #1029 on: April 26, 2015, 03:39:34 AM »
Do you guys take boards back to the shop expecting a replacement if it chips in the first fortnight? Like, "hey man, I bought this board a few weeks back and it already is chipped. It's like a newish board and I was thinking that you need to replace it, it must be like defective or something. I'd get free grip with the replacement right?"
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 03:43:06 AM by fangen »

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1030 on: April 26, 2015, 04:48:22 AM »
Hah, I find it funny that a good number of you are bashing on this and saying suck it up, while in other threads, like the skate superstitions threads that have been made, I see a lot of you write about how you can't skate a board if it's a millimeter off or if the top ply is a certain color, so you'll replace it, or how if your griptape chunks out at the edges too much or gets too dirty you'll peel it off and replace it, etc. If there are people who are bothered by things as trivial as that, then I'm guessing something like a big chunk missing from a wheel would be enough to bother a good number of people on here, despite all the "who cares just deal with it" responses that have been given. You don't think you care, until it happens to you and everytime youre looking at your board you just see that chunk staring back at you. Skateboarding breeds certain types of neuroticism, especially those pertaining to your gear, so I can understand all the other replies on here about chunks missing from wheels, and all the other replies in other threads about not being able to skate a certain griptape, a deck because of the top ply color, etc.
And a chunk like that would just get bigger and bigger over time. What happens as you keep riding on it and run over more pebbles and rough asphalt skating around? It opens it up more and makes the chunk bigger over time, which can effect the overall quality of the wheel.
But whatever, I already know this post is just gonna keep getting the same "dude, just deal with it" responses, so keep em coming!

fangen

« Reply #1031 on: April 26, 2015, 05:47:40 AM »
Hah, I find it funny that a good number of you are bashing on this and saying suck it up, while in other threads, like the skate superstitions threads that have been made, I see a lot of you write about how you can't skate a board if it's a millimeter off or if the top ply is a certain color, so you'll replace it, or how if your griptape chunks out at the edges too much or gets too dirty you'll peel it off and replace it, etc. If there are people who are bothered by things as trivial as that, then I'm guessing something like a big chunk missing from a wheel would be enough to bother a good number of people on here, despite all the "who cares just deal with it" responses that have been given. You don't think you care, until it happens to you and everytime youre looking at your board you just see that chunk staring back at you. Skateboarding breeds certain types of neuroticism, especially those pertaining to your gear, so I can understand all the other replies on here about chunks missing from wheels, and all the other replies in other threads about not being able to skate a certain griptape, a deck because of the top ply color, etc.
And a chunk like that would just get bigger and bigger over time. What happens as you keep riding on it and run over more pebbles and rough asphalt skating around? It opens it up more and makes the chunk bigger over time, which can effect the overall quality of the wheel.
But whatever, I already know this post is just gonna keep getting the same "dude, just deal with it" responses, so keep em coming!

My last set of wheels(picture) had a pellet sized hard plastic chunk in them that eventually tore out. It didn't effect how they skated. And I think that board superstitions/gripes are tells of a weak mind.

timv

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 17
« Reply #1032 on: April 26, 2015, 06:29:42 AM »
I've ridden  4 sets of formula fours now and all have chipped/chunked and gotten torn on edges somewhat easily.

I did return one set and got them replaced but I'm on to trying new wheels.
All were 99A 3 sets of classic shape and one set of conicals, 51mm-54mm.

Right now I'm skating a set of these autobahn's:   http://autobahnwheelshop.com/collect...dual-duro-100a

They are fast and grippy and feel really good to me. I've been on them for a couple weeks now and really don't feel a need to try anything else right now. The edges aren't getting torn up or chipping, I like the sidecut shape so am happy right now.
They seem to be holding up well.

I've had bones SPF's and STF's, the SPF's were way too hard, the STF's were still a bit hard and slid a bit too easily for me, they seemed to hold up well though.

I tried wrecks also but they were noticeably slower and really grippy, almost too grippy for me.

The park I go to in the morning on my way to work is a prefab type park so has some exposed metal edges etc which I am sure cause some of my wheel damage but the F4's seem to get torn up much quicker than the others so it's not just the park.

DLX does stand behind their product though and were very cool to work with on getting my set replaced.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #1033 on: April 26, 2015, 06:53:47 AM »

I'm not bashing you... I feel bummed too when shit like this happens! I've had some decent sized flatspots because of peebles and chunks missing before, maybe because of small glasses. It doesn't get bigger, they desappear after some time. I hate a chipped deck with all my forces too but i'm not that rich to buy a new deck just because of it, i have to go thru with it!
I guess i'm a little jealous of the costumer service you have in the US because i've had to deal with some serious quality issues before (delaminated decks, slipping axels, unglued shoes, etc), things that really affect my skating and are not my fault, and all the shops said was basicaly"fuck off, it's not our fault too".  :-\

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1034 on: April 26, 2015, 08:09:11 AM »

Having posted in this topic since it's inception, I've seen a few questionable claims of faulty product where it almost seems like theyre just trying to get something for free. In hindsight I was off base for assuming that. My wheels have chipped similarly but like others have said, it happens with every brand and usually doesn't affect the ride.
But as expected, deluxe handles every claim with no questions asked.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1035 on: April 30, 2015, 10:17:48 AM »
I'd love a slimmer conical cut. Just sayin' :P

BMCsteve

« Reply #1036 on: April 30, 2015, 01:38:43 PM »

Second this

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #1037 on: April 30, 2015, 11:55:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Second this

yes, yes, yes

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1038 on: May 03, 2015, 10:53:45 AM »
Rode a set of the radials today, 52mm, really nice all around wheel...still wider than I'd like but that slide. Sooooo nice.

Kitto Horsley

« Reply #1039 on: May 12, 2015, 03:54:55 PM »
How slippy are the 101's? Can't decide between Conical fulls in 99d or 101d. Any help appreciated.

Spitfire4life

• Rep: -20
« Reply #1040 on: May 12, 2015, 03:58:16 PM »
How slippy are the 101's? Can't decide between Conical fulls in 99d or 101d. Any help appreciated.
The conical fulls in 101a are the perfect combo imo. The regular 101's are a little slick at time, but the extra width helps with that a lot. I feel like the 99's in the conical shape would be a little too hard to slide.
If you take medical advice from this puddle of retards you are going to die.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1041 on: May 12, 2015, 04:01:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
The conical fulls in 101a are the perfect combo imo. The regular 101's are a little slick at time, but the extra width helps with that a lot. I feel like the 99's in the conical shape would be a little too hard to slide.

i've had a set of 99 conical fulls since they came out and at first, yes they were a little difficult to get a nice slide out of them, but after a week or so they felt great.

Kitto Horsley

« Reply #1042 on: May 12, 2015, 04:16:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

i've had a set of 99 conical fulls since they came out and at first, yes they were a little difficult to get a nice slide out of them, but after a week or so they felt great.

So feel you can slide on them pretty easily after that first week.  I was all set on getting the 101's but then had a sudden panic i'd be slipping and sliding all over the place when i go and skate a park, D.I.Y etc.

Dengles

« Reply #1043 on: May 12, 2015, 04:20:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

So feel you can slide on them pretty easily after that first week.  I was all set on getting the 101's but then had a sudden panic i'd be slipping and sliding all over the place when i go and skate a park, D.I.Y etc.
I've had two sets of 101s now, they've been amazing on the streets perfect power slides all the fun stuff, but they feel a little icy in some parks.  They're old now so they're fine in most concrete parks, a little sketchy but no big deal.  The only place I wish I had the 99s is this one DIY spot where the concrete is like garage floor material and I slip out and feel like I'm going to constantly eat shit on.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1044 on: May 12, 2015, 04:24:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Yeah a week to break them in and they're set for me, there is a lot of smooth roads/sidewalks where i live though, so 101s would probably see me end up on my ass if i were to try them

N.L.

« Reply #1045 on: May 12, 2015, 05:17:25 PM »
I've had no problem sliding the 99s on rough or smooth surfaces, even in the full conical shape but I've been tempted by the 101s just to compare them. How do the 101s compare to an STF slide?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1046 on: May 12, 2015, 05:41:13 PM »
I was riding the 101a radials at the Venice park this weekend primarily in the Snake Run they were really icy in there, more than a few times at speed they broke free; it's a slick as fuck park, the glare alone of the surface will blind you., 54 might be a sweet spot there).

Most people were rocking larger SPFs, I'd be more worried about them breaking free over the spits.

Next time I'm putting on some 99a F4s/ricta or type-s for a bit more grip (and speed, I had to work to get those 52s humming). FWIW the radials roughly the same width as the 54mm Conicals. Radials are wider with a smaller rider surface.

The slide of the 101 F4s are unmatched imo, fantastic wheels for street in any shape; 99a would probably work out well for slick parks/wood.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 05:57:13 PM by Xen »

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1047 on: May 12, 2015, 09:44:52 PM »
Having skated 99's and 101s in classic, classic full, radial and conical full I can say the 101 conical full slides very similar to classic 99s with a louder screech slide. Up in washington state the parks arent quite as dusty as so cal parks are so the slickness there is un matched. When I went to visit last year I was skating classic 99's and almost died at Stoner and all the other places we went.
Conical full 101's are my wheel of choice for all terrains, just the right amount of grip and slide.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 10:01:23 PM by 144p »

Kitto Horsley

« Reply #1048 on: May 13, 2015, 03:11:24 AM »
Thank you everyone for help.  Sorry to keep asking wustions on whats probably already a well disscussed topic but...currently riding the SML wide shape do either of the duros feel like that? Looking for something a little slicker that, only a little though.  Like i said sorry for so many questions but being a broke student means that if i get something thats not right i have to suck it and deal with so i'd rather just buy the wheels that suit what i want in the first place.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1049 on: May 13, 2015, 09:09:06 AM »
Thank you everyone for help.  Sorry to keep asking wustions on whats probably already a well disscussed topic but...currently riding the SML wide shape do either of the duros feel like that? Looking for something a little slicker that, only a little though.  Like i said sorry for so many questions but being a broke student means that if i get something thats not right i have to suck it and deal with so i'd rather just buy the wheels that suit what i want in the first place.

I rode a set of .sml wheels recently, slim shape and they were too grippy for me (tho many on the forum find them slick), they felt grippy like Autobahns; duro-wise they are hard but don't feel like spits at all.

F4s I've ridden:

101 classics (sold them)
99 classics (still have them)
101 conical full (lost these thinking I put my board in my car...didn't...I know stupid)
101 conical (setup on an 8.6)
101 radials (riding now)

I'd say it's up to the terrain and what you like to do. Conical Fulls are WIIIIIDE wheels, I felt I could get by on Conicals, which is true as they are still wide.

In fact, ALL F4s are pretty wide wheels compared to other wheels out there (STF V1/2/3, Ricta).

Pick up the 101s after you decide on shape and height. Also know that the smaller the wheel the skinnier (albeit a small amount) it gets, and vice versa going taller.