Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 689288 times)

drasp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #1140 on: October 17, 2015, 02:26:25 PM »
I went ahead & grabbed the 101a Conical Fulls I was asking about. Skated them @ Lakeland (concrete) for a few hours this AM. I'm not good enough to have any really nuanced thoughts, but they managed to be hard, loud & grippy in an awesome way while still allowing me to easily slide when I wanna. Probably too hard for skating my neighborhood streets, but will probably see more park use than my 99a/Classics.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1141 on: October 17, 2015, 04:45:27 PM »
For a change, I tried out a set of the Ricta Parkburners and flat spotted them from frontside nosesliding a ledge a few times.  I only had those on my board for a month. 

Back to Sptifire F4 and I'm looking out for the radial slims for my next set.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #1142 on: October 17, 2015, 05:33:46 PM »
Wreck>Bones>Autobahn>Spitfire

No 50 page bones thread, because they're good

Coconut Lotion

« Reply #1143 on: October 18, 2015, 05:14:23 AM »
What the fuck is wreck

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #1144 on: October 18, 2015, 08:22:25 AM »
Tracers favorite inline wheel company

Tracer

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1145 on: October 18, 2015, 10:15:55 AM »
What the fuck is wreck
Chet Thomas' wheel company. The ruin formula puts spitfire to shame

drasp

• Rep: 4
« Reply #1146 on: October 18, 2015, 12:56:26 PM »
Wreck>Bones>Autobahn>Spitfire

No 50 page bones thread, because they're good

I must be doing it all wrong. Have literally given away sets of STF & Autobahn after trying F4s. . .

imgne

« Reply #1147 on: October 18, 2015, 04:53:10 PM »
But Wreck wheels don't slide

N.L.

« Reply #1148 on: October 18, 2015, 06:53:06 PM »
This might sound corny but formula fours actually get me motivated to skate. That slip to grip ratio... its addictive man... I'm not straying from these wheels if they stay this consistently good...

Nancy Chin The Manicurist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1149 on: October 19, 2015, 12:34:42 AM »
Expand Quote
What the fuck is wreck
[close]

wait so he runs two wheel companies? Or does Darkstar make only boards now.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #1150 on: October 19, 2015, 07:35:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What the fuck is wreck
[close]

[close]

They haven't made wheels for a few years now, just pushed into being a pricepoint complete brand.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #1151 on: October 19, 2015, 07:00:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What the fuck is wreck
[close]

[close]

[close]
They haven't made wheels for a few years now, just pushed into being a pricepoint complete brand.
Wreck sounds like the same formula used by darkstar but rebranded.
Those shits did not powerslide at all.  I almost died bombing a hill with those fucking wheels in the early 2000's.  I was going pretty fast and went to powerslide to slow down and almost got tossed.  I ended riding the rest of it out, but yeah, fuck wreck if they're anything similar.

Tracer

« Reply #1152 on: October 19, 2015, 07:41:22 PM »
But Wreck wheels don't slide
They are stickier than bones, but bones are wayyyy too slick. If you need to rely on your wheels sliding you're going the wrong way

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1153 on: October 20, 2015, 09:45:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
We have yet to see the profile in a photo. Hopefully they are narrower than classics.

Was hoping for the Daewon shape.
[close]

yeah woulda been nice to see a side view of the wheels
[close]
Got an early set of radial slims.
Side by side with classic cut f4

Thanks for these!

Any chance you can take another photo that is straight on and not at an angle to check the height?

Looks like a wide riding surface and marignally slimmer than the classics (their thinnest wheel outside of the daewon classic slim).

I'll bite but was hoping for something slimmer like a V2/Ricta/AB Nexus.

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1154 on: October 20, 2015, 04:47:08 PM »
Just set them up so can't really get a better photo.
Also should say the wheels in the pic are classic 54 and radial slims are a 52.
I feel like the radial slim is more like a radial and the regular radial really is a radial full.
Meaning imo the wheel isn't really that slim, but since they dropped a wheel with the name radial already that they had to call it a slim when really it parallels more with the conical and the standard radial more with the conical full.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #1155 on: October 20, 2015, 04:49:35 PM »
I hope they make a 56 in that shape.  I go through wheels too fast with anything smaller.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #1156 on: October 21, 2015, 08:28:22 AM »
Nice, gonna grab some 53-55mm radial slim 99a

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #1157 on: October 21, 2015, 08:43:49 AM »

so, based on the photo...am i seeing this correctly?...the radial slim 52 is almost as wide as a classic 54? 
hardly art, hardly starving

BMCsteve

« Reply #1158 on: October 21, 2015, 09:00:16 AM »
Just set them up so can't really get a better photo.
I feel like the radial slim is more like a radial and the regular radial really is a radial full.
Meaning imo the wheel isn't really that slim, but since they dropped a wheel with the name radial already that they had to call it a slim when really it parallels more with the conical and the standard radial more with the conical full.

Hmm, that's what I was afraid of.  My guess is the Radial "slims" will be the same width as the regular Classics thus making it not an actual slim wheel. 

bummer

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1159 on: October 21, 2015, 12:13:45 PM »
I knew it!  >:( ::) :'(

Well, here's hoping for the daewon slims in F4.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #1160 on: October 22, 2015, 12:39:32 AM »
Expand Quote
I am officially interested.

I was a Spitfire supporter for a while, and wanted to keep supporting them super badly, but I just couldn't stand buying a set of wheels and having them flatspot and wear out in the blink of an eye. I've been on the STF bandwagon for a few years now. If these wheels are anywhere near as good as STFs, it will be what I am buying from now on.
[close]
Might have to try these out after seeing Josh flat spot STFs haha He did the impossible

i have flatspotted both f-4's and stfs on the first day of skating them. both incidents occured on extremely smooth concrete (the kind of stuff that is layed on warehouse floors), while i was going pretty slow and doing tricks on flat. i am very slim and i have also flatspotted a set of rictas on the same surface.
my opinion on these wheels (formula 4's) is that that they are by far the best wheels. their formula is bouncier than the stf (not softer but bouncier - which makes the wheels faster) and i think they also slide much more. the biggest advantage over the stfs is that the part of the wheel that hugs the bearing does not loosen up. with stfs i have noticed that after a month of use the ring that holds the bearing tight to the wheel loosens up and the wheels starts spinning around the bearing. this is unacceptable and to me its not the spitfires being good, rather its the stfs being terrible. if i skate stfs for a couple of months then i can take the bearings out of the wheels by just tipping the wheel and the bearing falls off! i really dont know why theres is all this hype with stfs. the reason i skate stfs is that they are the only decent wheel i can easily get hold of.
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #1161 on: October 22, 2015, 01:19:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I was a Spitfire supporter for a while, and wanted to keep supporting them super badly, but I just couldn't stand buying a set of wheels and having them flatspot and wear out in the blink of an eye. I've been on the STF bandwagon for a few years now. If these wheels are anywhere near as good as STFs, it will be what I am buying from now on.
[close]
Might have to try these out after seeing Josh flat spot STFs haha He did the impossible
[close]

i have flatspotted both f-4's and stfs on the first day of skating them. both incidents occured on extremely smooth concrete (the kind of stuff that is layed on warehouse floors), while i was going pretty slow and doing tricks on flat. i am very slim and i have also flatspotted a set of rictas on the same surface.
my opinion on these wheels (formula 4's) is that that they are by far the best wheels. their formula is bouncier than the stf (not softer but bouncier - which makes the wheels faster) and i think they also slide much more. the biggest advantage over the stfs is that the part of the wheel that hugs the bearing does not loosen up. with stfs i have noticed that after a month of use the ring that holds the bearing tight to the wheel loosens up and the wheels starts spinning around the bearing. this is unacceptable and to me its not the spitfires being good, rather its the stfs being terrible. if i skate stfs for a couple of months then i can take the bearings out of the wheels by just tipping the wheel and the bearing falls off! i really dont know why theres is all this hype with stfs. the reason i skate stfs is that they are the only decent wheel i can easily get hold of.
:D
you must be jocking, I know tons of people that rides STFs or have riden STFs in the past during months and even more than a year for somes and I've never ever heard such a story.
That and your whole text looks like some advertisement for Spitfire, it's just ridiculous

commander jameson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #1162 on: October 22, 2015, 02:53:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
you must be jocking, I know tons of people that rides STFs or have riden STFs in the past during months and even more than a year for somes and I've never ever heard such a story.
That and your whole text looks like some advertisement for Spitfire, it's just ridiculous

This actually happened to me on several different sets of wheels during the years.
It usually happens when wheels are old and worn out, although it did happened to some lesser quality wheels that were not that old.

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #1163 on: October 22, 2015, 03:11:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

This actually happened to me on several different sets of wheels during the years.
It usually happens when wheels are old and worn out, although it did happened to some lesser quality wheels that were not that old.
This.
I'm not saying it can't happen, but I doubt it ever happened on STFs after a month of use, as if STFs were total shit compared to every other wheels, specially Spitfire F4s

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1164 on: October 22, 2015, 01:20:51 PM »
All wheels flatspot, you can't escape it.
Something changed in Bones formula 2 years ago and the feel kinda went downhill.
I've seen a bunch flatspotted in the past year.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1165 on: October 23, 2015, 12:30:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

no man, sorry for my style of writing but im greek so im a bit bad at english. maybe what happened to me (and a couple of friends) was due to the extremely hot conditions that i normally skate in. this is the reason i have experimented with rictas, trying to see if the inner core would help. im not promoting spitfires and am actually skating a set of stfs right now. saying this, i have to admit that this new set i got (v 5's) has not slacked round the bearings yet (2 months in now) and i was expecting this as the wheels are actually wider (the kind of conical shape in a way supports the area that hugs the bearing). the issue i mentioned before was very prominent in slim shaped wheels (v 3's mainly). im not sure, maybe the sets were faulty or whatever but it did happen and not just once. spitfire are much better anyway but are not distributed in my area (greece is financially fucked at the moment)
Expand Quote
[close]

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1166 on: October 23, 2015, 02:14:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

no man, sorry for my style of writing but im greek so im a bit bad at english. maybe what happened to me (and a couple of friends) was due to the extremely hot conditions that i normally skate in. this is the reason i have experimented with rictas, trying to see if the inner core would help. im not promoting spitfires and am actually skating a set of stfs right now. saying this, i have to admit that this new set i got (v 5's) has not slacked round the bearings yet (2 months in now) and i was expecting this as the wheels are actually wider (the kind of conical shape in a way supports the area that hugs the bearing). the issue i mentioned before was very prominent in slim shaped wheels (v 3's mainly). im not sure, maybe the sets were faulty or whatever but it did happen and not just once. spitfire are much better anyway but are not distributed in my area (greece is financially fucked at the moment)
i've experienced that with stf too, bearing falls of the wheel on one side of each wheel after a few months, but it's very hot where i live too...btw i had a new set with the bones customer thing, it's very cool from them cause i live very far away from the US, and for free !

Greg

• Rep: -43
  • CRUSTY PALMS
    • // 1017 GLO GANG // FREE MAX B // FREE GUCCI // STREET MONEY // BLACKLAND // HOTHEADS // FUCKOUTTAHERE // avatar image
« Reply #1167 on: October 23, 2015, 02:34:45 AM »
Expand Quote
hands down some of the worst wheels I've ever skated

slides for literally no reason
eliminates ability to make sharp turns
if the ground is wet your wheels turn into butter
miss a 50-50 on a ledge, i dare you

they feel like i have rocks attached to my board
[close]

101's are slippery in a dusty park but great on the street.  Also, you have to break wheels in before you can really judge them.  They wont be as slippery after a few sessions

I gave them more than enough times. More than enough sessions. On multiple terrain. I don't feel safe skating with them, I've been trying out those mike Anderson wides. 99 duro I believe. I trust them with my life
| FUCK JAMIE THOMAS | IT'S CURTAINS |

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1168 on: October 23, 2015, 03:18:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
i've experienced that with stf too, bearing falls of the wheel on one side of each wheel after a few months, but it's very hot where i live too...btw i had a new set with the bones customer thing, it's very cool from them cause i live very far away from the US, and for free !

since i was a child it was rumoured that the powell camp had THE best customer service. back in the days of self delaminating boards (circa 1993 some boards would actually delaminate without crashing on a wall but by just popping tricks!!!) powell had this manufacture defects guarantee and they would actually replace a faulty board. amazing
Expand Quote
[close]

Dengles

« Reply #1169 on: October 27, 2015, 04:38:20 PM »
Was just gifted a pair of 52 mm radial fulls in 101A, someone got tired of seeing my old set that was down to under 40 mm, they started life as 56s and the east coast ruined them.