Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 689384 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #1290 on: May 02, 2016, 04:14:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Picked up some radial slims and new bronsons and upon putting the spacers in one of the bearings will slide slightly out of the bearing seat. It's not enough to cause it to become loose but it's not flush (maybe like 1mm on 1 bearing) and I have been wondering if it'd be more beneficial to ditch the spacers or just use it like it is or even order some slimmer spacers?
[close]

My opinion on bearing spacers is that they are completely unnecessary in most, if not all modern wheels.

They were created when wheels were much softer, and were designed to help keep the bearing (and bearing seat) aligned perpendicularly with the axel.

Since most wheels now are a much harder duro, or have harder cores below the softer urethane, I have not once found them to be beneficial in any modern skateboarding situation.

I tend to agree, it's rare I run them, usually on new bearings if they come with them and most wheels will give you that 1mm slip either side if you use them. It's nice to be able to crank them down nice and tight tho.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1291 on: May 03, 2016, 08:44:27 AM »
It's longboard-downhill reasoning, since speed is important to them, but still worth a read:

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #1292 on: May 03, 2016, 09:09:51 AM »
I feel like half of the thread is talking about spacers and the other half speed rings.
you never know about pre-cum 

N.L.

« Reply #1293 on: May 03, 2016, 11:12:26 AM »
without machine faced hangers and properly sized spacers they probably don't work as they should anyway.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #1294 on: May 03, 2016, 03:06:30 PM »
Since I have a hard time believing that my wheel core and the spacer are perfectly sized together, I don't use spacers.

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #1295 on: May 03, 2016, 05:36:35 PM »
Since I have a hard time believing that my wheel core and the spacer are perfectly sized together, I don't use spacers.

This.

The best bet seems to be running speed rings, with no spacers.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #1296 on: May 04, 2016, 05:50:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Picked up some radial slims and new bronsons and upon putting the spacers in one of the bearings will slide slightly out of the bearing seat. It's not enough to cause it to become loose but it's not flush (maybe like 1mm on 1 bearing) and I have been wondering if it'd be more beneficial to ditch the spacers or just use it like it is or even order some slimmer spacers?
[close]

My opinion on bearing spacers is that they are completely unnecessary in most, if not all modern wheels.

They were created when wheels were much softer, and were designed to help keep the bearing (and bearing seat) aligned perpendicularly with the axel.

Since most wheels now are a much harder duro, or have harder cores below the softer urethane, I have not once found them to be beneficial in any modern skateboarding situation.

from personal experience, if the spacer is slightly wider than needed then the wheels are going to get damaged no matter what and this alone is a good enough reason not to ever use spacers. The bearing sockets will become slack because the wheel will constantly keep moving/slipping sideways left and right as you skate. I dont know if i made myself clear here with my shitty eglish.
in modern skateboards spacers are only beneficial if you start getting slipping axle because when incorporated within the wheel/bearing system they work as a "limit" for the axle's motion.
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

duzerdrof

• Rep: -3
« Reply #1297 on: May 04, 2016, 08:31:48 PM »
Has anyone skated the 54mm 99a conical fulls? I've been using the conical ones and now I want to try the wider ones. Is there really any major difference between the two riding surfaces?

I have both sets in 54mm and I really prefer the conical fulls. I'm usually riding an 8.5 with indy 149s and the 54 conical fulls feel perfectly in proportion with the rest of the setup - super smooth ride, the wider contact feels great on walls and tranny. I think once you get into the 54mm and above territory, the regular conicals feel a little too tall and narrow and awkward for flip tricks.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #1298 on: May 04, 2016, 11:26:03 PM »
This is too much science for me to comprehend.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1299 on: May 05, 2016, 06:07:21 AM »

unless you longboard, spacers are shit
Expand Quote
[close]

unerds

• Rep: -3
« Reply #1300 on: May 05, 2016, 09:30:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

yeahhh, this is mostly longboarder-ish gearhead shit, but i stand by the 'reduced rattling' property.

that's all i'm after with them, really.

there is no way for any of us to quantify whether or not other claimed benefits are true - shear forces and whatnot...

but i can tell you, explicitly that my shit doesn't rattle when i have spacers in, and my nuts are tight.

Hannity

« Reply #1301 on: May 05, 2016, 09:34:10 AM »
Expand Quote
had to scoop more 58mm conical fulls after my last set-up got jacked at a local school (stupid me for forgetting it. anybody else have weekend sessions with the homies hauling a bunch of shit around from spot to spot and lose stuff along the way?) best fucking wheels ever. nothing holds u back.

[close]

Gotta agree here. I picked up the 58's for a bowl setup but they're just an awesome wheel in general - wide and fast. They haul ass over any pavement. Do you use risers with yours out of curiosity?
yep the 1/8" ones

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1302 on: May 06, 2016, 05:16:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

yeahhh, this is mostly longboarder-ish gearhead shit, but i stand by the 'reduced rattling' property.

that's all i'm after with them, really.

there is no way for any of us to quantify whether or not other claimed benefits are true - shear forces and whatnot...

but i can tell you, explicitly that my shit doesn't rattle when i have spacers in, and my nuts are tight.

this is exactly the thing that helps "fix" slipping axles (but then the board feels/sounds the way YOU want it to) . the higher quality bearings you use, the less the rattling. but is this a good thing? if the skateboard doesnt make any metallic/rattling noise then the pure urethane rolling sound makes it sound like a toy board, like the ones with the soft wheels. dunno, to each his own i suppose
Expand Quote
[close]

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1303 on: May 11, 2016, 09:09:20 AM »
Still waiting on that blunt slide....

N.L.

« Reply #1304 on: May 11, 2016, 12:22:56 PM »
 :o

funny you should mention that. going to set up the 101 radial slims tonight, as i just cracked my salman agah and my 99s are pretty wrecked. time for new board/ wheel combo.

hopefully, this weekend i'll film a shitty little bluntslide for you...

Shartarse

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1305 on: May 11, 2016, 05:21:29 PM »
Do formula 4's grip and slip like stfs, or do they have a more constant grip like regular urethane?

I love being able to powerslide at 90 degress for several feet without getting flatspots  (like you can with stfs), but I also like being able to ease into a lower angle powerslide and ~drift on the edge of griping/sliding, which I find easier on regular urethane... Which category do f4s fall into?

Cheers

zephyrpatio

« Reply #1306 on: May 11, 2016, 08:38:47 PM »
I found this by accident today while searching for some classic full 51mms. I've never seen it anywhere before. Didn't know all the different shapes that existed.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #1307 on: May 12, 2016, 12:35:23 AM »
^ whoa! hard core nerd shit here. man ive tried a few different ones but the classic shape feels right

also aren't most OJ wheels the Awol shape?
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

N.L.

« Reply #1308 on: May 16, 2016, 06:34:36 PM »
put in a couple of sessions on the 101s. pretty stoked. not as teeth chattering hard as i thought on the streets and enough grip in the parks. way less sketchy than i imagined they'd be. i def prefer the 99s but the 101s are fast as fuck... filmed the blunt slide but it's so shit, i'm a bit embarrssed  to post it... but maybe doing so will force me to get a proper one....

https://youtu.be/s55MThQWuiQ

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #1309 on: May 16, 2016, 08:22:20 PM »
+1 for the follow through.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1310 on: May 17, 2016, 04:56:48 AM »

BMCsteve

« Reply #1311 on: May 17, 2016, 08:24:26 AM »

LennyDLXSF

• Rep: 77
  • Deluxe Customer Service
« Reply #1312 on: May 17, 2016, 03:08:50 PM »
put in a couple of sessions on the 101s. pretty stoked. not as teeth chattering hard as i thought on the streets and enough grip in the parks. way less sketchy than i imagined they'd be. i def prefer the 99s but the 101s are fast as fuck... filmed the blunt slide but it's so shit, i'm a bit embarrssed  to post it... but maybe doing so will force me to get a proper one....

Fuck yeah!

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #1313 on: May 17, 2016, 03:39:03 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Fuck yeah!

N.L.

« Reply #1314 on: May 17, 2016, 06:52:40 PM »
you fuckers are too nice. going to get a tolerable blunt slide by summer's end.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1315 on: May 18, 2016, 11:27:19 AM »
I found this by accident today while searching for some classic full 51mms. I've never seen it anywhere before. Didn't know all the different shapes that existed.

AWOL shape = best spit shape I've ridden nest to the Radial Slims. Loved those wheels.

Expand Quote
+1 for the follow through.
[close]
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 11:33:47 AM by Xen »

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #1316 on: May 19, 2016, 05:42:52 PM »
All about dem classics...

N.L.

« Reply #1317 on: June 03, 2016, 08:54:42 PM »
I'm sold on the 101s. Fucking fast as fuck. Love the 99s but the 101s def ride faster. Sketchier slides but its worth it. Finally learned backside power slides on the 101s. Stoked. 101s for the summer. 99s for the winter. Done deal. Nerd out, over.

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #1318 on: June 03, 2016, 09:13:06 PM »
^ Yep! I always had the 101's and tried the 99's for the first time today and I didn't really like them. Takes a lot more effort to powerslide and was less responsive and controllable. I feel like if I bombed a hill with these I would stick on a powerslide and eat shit really bad. In the winter when I have to skate indoor parks they will be perfect though.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #1319 on: June 05, 2016, 09:40:59 AM »
101s for life. It's usually what I get when I get F4s. I love a slick wheel that's easy to slide.