Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 689430 times)

TastyBurrito (+ 1 Hidden) and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

N.L.

Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #1350 on: July 07, 2016, 07:43:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
ive only ever considered orange wheels back in the Welcome to Hell Ed Templeton days... never did it though.
[close]

Yes! Orange is a magical wheel colour. I often rode Orange spits during that era. I see there are a now some Orange Fs.... Only problem is, I've got all these to get through before I can justify buying some...

I've got an F4 problem. Not shown are the Green Radial slim 54mm 101s and classic 58mm 99s that I have on my current set ups.
[close]

I will gladly help and take a set or two off your hands then, hah.
But seriously you'll be good to go for a while! That's enough to last you for like three years (or longer if you're the type to ride your wheels to dust; I only put three years because I assumed you maybe switch your wheels out every six months and you have six sets in waiting. With how i am with switching wheels thatd be enough to last me for the next five to six years haha)

just four sets in waiting.  the ones i'm currently using are about done. i might go through 2 or 3 sets a year. sometimes ride them to dust but sometimes pass them on to a kid at the park.

Noble Experiment

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #1351 on: July 07, 2016, 08:06:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
ive only ever considered orange wheels back in the Welcome to Hell Ed Templeton days... never did it though.
[close]

Yes! Orange is a magical wheel colour. I often rode Orange spits during that era. I see there are a now some Orange Fs.... Only problem is, I've got all these to get through before I can justify buying some...

I've got an F4 problem. Not shown are the Green Radial slim 54mm 101s and classic 58mm 99s that I have on my current set ups.
[close]

I will gladly help and take a set or two off your hands then, hah.
But seriously you'll be good to go for a while! That's enough to last you for like three years (or longer if you're the type to ride your wheels to dust; I only put three years because I assumed you maybe switch your wheels out every six months and you have six sets in waiting. With how i am with switching wheels thatd be enough to last me for the next five to six years haha)
[close]

just four sets in waiting.  the ones i'm currently using are about done. i might go through 2 or 3 sets a year. sometimes ride them to dust but sometimes pass them on to a kid at the park.
You mentioned two sets not pictured that I thought were also in waiting but then I reread what you wrote and you said they were already currently on setups. Must've accidentally skipped that part when I skimmed through your post earlier, hah.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #1352 on: July 07, 2016, 08:23:04 AM »
How long is a set lasting everyone? I've had A few sets stay strong for 2 months and some just kinda get soft and sluggish after less than a month.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #1353 on: July 07, 2016, 09:38:46 AM »
Probably 3 minutes after I posted about my wheels having chunks missing, DLX messaged me right away, talk about fuckin' customer service right there. I'm waiting on the reply email after I sent the photos though. Spitfire for life indeed...

OldManSkate

• Rep: -3
« Reply #1354 on: July 07, 2016, 08:12:47 PM »
I was rotating my F4 101's today and noticed there were several spots where there were chunks missing from the wheel. Not super deep but it was clear it wasn't a flatspot, more like a puncture or gouge along the edges. Anyone ever experience this?
This happened to my Radial 99's also. What shape are your wheels?

Main

« Reply #1355 on: July 07, 2016, 08:15:28 PM »
Expand Quote
I was rotating my F4 101's today and noticed there were several spots where there were chunks missing from the wheel. Not super deep but it was clear it wasn't a flatspot, more like a puncture or gouge along the edges. Anyone ever experience this?
[close]
This happened to my Radial 99's also. What shape are your wheels?

They're just the classic shape.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #1356 on: July 08, 2016, 06:13:13 AM »
Just about every set of F4s I've had has had the missing chunks problem. It was only a really bad missing chunk for one set, the rest were tiny to medium sized ones that didn't really effect the overall performance of the wheel at all so it didn't matter too much to me; more cosmetic damage than anything else. It seems like i see quite a bit of complaints about F4s chunking out, so im guessing it's a problem they're still trying to fix.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1357 on: July 08, 2016, 07:14:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I feel you:

54mm 101 Conicals
52mm 101 Radials
53mm Classic slims
53mm Radial slims 101 (favorite of the bunch)
52mm classics 99a (kids board)
53mm classics 99a (kids board)

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1358 on: July 08, 2016, 08:28:42 AM »
Just about every set of F4s I've had has had the missing chunks problem. It was only a really bad missing chunk for one set, the rest were tiny to medium sized ones that didn't really effect the overall performance of the wheel at all so it didn't matter too much to me; more cosmetic damage than anything else. It seems like i see quite a bit of complaints about F4s chunking out, so im guessing it's a problem they're still trying to fix.

That must be the one flaw with F4s. Otherwise they're the best wheels I've ever ridden. I hope hypothetically fixing that mostly cosmetic issue wouldn't change the performance. If so, I don't know if it would be worth it.

Main

« Reply #1359 on: July 08, 2016, 09:50:53 AM »
Hmm, I've had a ton of sets of F4's and I never inspected my wheels to notice the chipping issue so this is a first for me. Reed replied to my email this morning and is sending me out a new set. DLX's customer service is outstanding and they made me appreciate them even more. It's one thing when you make a quality product and back it with a warranty, but speedy and kind customer service goes a long way this day in age.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1360 on: July 08, 2016, 10:18:37 AM »
90% of all my F4 skating has been smooth parks so I've not seen any chipping/lost chunks.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #1361 on: July 08, 2016, 11:54:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Yeah, I got my radial slims replaced that had a chunk ripped out of the edge. They sent me a set of classic slims at my request and I love them. Much slimmer shape. It's what I really wanted out of the radial slims.

[close]

Before these were released, I stocked up on radial slims. Now I have three sets of radial slims to skate, but all I want are the classic slims.

Are they going to make these in 101?

No local shop to try and trade em in?
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #1362 on: July 09, 2016, 12:33:59 PM »
Just skated the 101's for the first time and holy fuck, they're perfect. It's unbelievable how fast they are in the park and the slide is just right, maybe they'll have less grip when broken in but for now they're just right. Just when I thought formula fours couldn't feel better..

christ0v

• Rep: 15
« Reply #1363 on: July 11, 2016, 03:27:47 AM »
How long does it take to wear a few mm's off the wheels ? I really like the f4s, but i went with too big wheels and ate shit 3 times today because of wheel bites.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 05:51:44 AM by christ0v »

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #1364 on: July 11, 2016, 05:12:16 AM »
DON'T RIDE ANYTHING ELSE FUCKERS

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #1365 on: July 11, 2016, 06:50:02 AM »
How long does it take to wear a few mm's off the wheels ? I really like the f4s, but i went with too big wheels and ate shit 3 times today because of wheel bites.
Get some risers cos its gonna be a long wait

zephyrpatio

« Reply #1366 on: July 11, 2016, 09:10:01 AM »
Is there a reason why they don't make 53mm 99A's in formula four? specifically in Fulls/Radials/Classic Pro's in Natty White?

uh

https://www.google.com/#q=53mm+formula+fours

They make 53mms in all of those.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #1367 on: July 12, 2016, 02:34:54 PM »
i want to buy these spitfire formula 4 reynolds sweepers 99duro

how are these compared to bones stfs?

Main

« Reply #1368 on: July 12, 2016, 07:33:37 PM »
I would say Spitfire F4 in the 99 duro is about the same as a Bones STF. The Spitfire F4 101a durometer is in a class of its own though.

N.L.

« Reply #1369 on: July 13, 2016, 10:51:52 AM »
Seems to me the 101s are slightly harding wearing also. Mine are holding up really nice with lots of slides, hill bombs and rugged streets... I'd say the 101s are similar to STFs but with a bit more of a controlled slide. Definitely prefer them.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1370 on: July 13, 2016, 02:15:19 PM »
99duro are softer then, no? if so, how soft? compared to stfs, i like their slideability and grip.

Main

« Reply #1371 on: July 13, 2016, 05:49:14 PM »
N.L. nailed it, the slide of the 101's is insanely controllable and nearly impossible to catch and eat shit. The 99's took a lot more effort to slide and didn't allow me to go for long periods and have that control, which was also the case with STF's. Bones STF's are like 83-84b which to me just equates to 99 duro no matter how much they wanna say it equal's 101a or higher. Just get Spitfire 101a's man, you won't regret it.

Jake From State Farm

« Reply #1372 on: July 13, 2016, 05:55:35 PM »
F4 99's in the conical full shape have been treating me well. I don't want anything else

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1373 on: July 14, 2016, 02:18:57 PM »
thanks guys. didn't order the 99duros. i guess the 101s better fit my needs. gonna have to wait until i find them somewhere.

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #1374 on: July 14, 2016, 04:15:35 PM »
thanks guys. didn't order the 99duros. i guess the 101s better fit my needs. gonna have to wait until i find them somewhere.

I tried 58mm 99's, then 54 101's. The 101's are noticeably faster, I kinda wanna try the 99's in a smaller size.. Just for a smoother ride, but I'm so used to hard street wheels that its not a big deal.

ferraveemo

• Rep: 23
« Reply #1375 on: July 14, 2016, 10:06:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Is there a reason why they don't make 53mm 99A's in formula four? specifically in Fulls/Radials/Classic Pro's in Natty White?
[close]

uh

I said 53mm F4 99's! majority of the ones they have on f4's are 101's on 53mm's...

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #1376 on: July 14, 2016, 10:19:22 PM »
They make them, just bought a set about a month ago.
you never know about pre-cum 

LennyDLXSF

• Rep: 77
  • Deluxe Customer Service
« Reply #1377 on: July 15, 2016, 08:39:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

uh

[close]

I said 53mm F4 99's! majority of the ones they have on f4's are 101's on 53mm's...

We definitiely make them!

They are our most popular size/formula, so they sell out fairly quick.

Socal shop has a decent selection right now: http://socalskateshop.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=67338

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #1378 on: July 19, 2016, 07:29:51 AM »
Just bought a pair of the 99A, 52mm after reading NL's positive feedback and hearing good things in this thread. Only skated them once so far but they feel great. Steady gliding

Clang

• Rep: -2
« Reply #1379 on: July 19, 2016, 09:16:28 AM »
Did spitfire change how wide the conical fulls are? I got a set of the 54mm 99a ones and they look the same as regular conicals. Everyone I've seen with conical fulls has way more riding surface.