Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 689655 times)

coneklr

Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #1410 on: August 18, 2016, 09:21:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I switched my F4 52 99s today for full 53 99s. Considering that my wheels where like year and a half old, and probably somewhere between 40 in the back and 45 in the front it was about time.

These monster truck wheels will require riser pads, but i can ride on anything now and slappies are way easier.
[close]

53mm definitely don't require riser pads, and they're absolutely not monster truck wheels haha.
[close]
when i wheelbite at 50% of my old turning radius i definitely require riser pads. i have them on thunder hollow light 149s that I assume are HIs.

53s are the biggest wheels I've had in probably 8 or something years.
[close]

Well that's why...you're riding Thunders. Their "Hi's" are lows. Especially the hollow ones with forged baseplates. Shit's not even 50mm tall and they call it a "Hi". Hi, I'm from planet earth where are you from, Thunder?

55mm+ are big wheels
50mm-54mm normal
<50mm small

haha, I just saw this today ...  I skate 56's most of the time with thunders and no risers and I don't even consider them big.  Once you get used to a 55/56 wheel it's hard to go back to a smaller one since you maintain a lot more speed without working for it and you don't have to "watch out for rocks and cracks" well as much anyway

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1411 on: August 18, 2016, 09:29:55 AM »
fun fact:  the cory kennedy F4 wheels (the alien ones with the free Frisbee) are skinnier than the reg classics. 

Have these and the regs on my kids' boards, will have to compare.

Main

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -208
« Reply #1412 on: August 18, 2016, 11:15:10 AM »
haha, I just saw this today ...  I skate 56's most of the time with thunders and no risers and I don't even consider them big.  Once you get used to a 55/56 wheel it's hard to go back to a smaller one since you maintain a lot more speed without working for it and you don't have to "watch out for rocks and cracks" well as much anyway

Nice, I've gone bigger and smaller than 54mm, but I always go back to 54mm. It's the perfect size, in my opinion.

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #1413 on: August 18, 2016, 11:19:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Nice, I've gone bigger and smaller than 54mm, but I always go back to 54mm. It's the perfect size, in my opinion.

For sure. I wanna try 55mm sometime, but that extra mm makes me nervous.

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #1414 on: August 18, 2016, 05:27:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

For sure. I wanna try 55mm sometime, but that extra mm makes me nervous.

I'd recommend sticking with 54mm. Nothing to worry about with that size. Not too big or small, the sweet spot.

Zimmer

« Reply #1415 on: August 18, 2016, 05:55:00 PM »
I really want to like bigger wheels (for rolling over shitty pavement and such), but I just can't stand the height that comes with risers and big wheels.

What do people like about big wheels?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 07:11:24 PM by Zimmer »

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #1416 on: August 18, 2016, 07:06:52 PM »
Bigger wheels lets you skate at a different tempo than smaller ones.

Generally, you'll see very few pure street skaters with anything bigger than 54-56 because ollies and such get sluggish at that point but for tranny you can get higher and faster with way less effort.

To keep speed on bowls with small wheels you need to pump the shit out of them. When I ride 58s or above it takes so much less effort but you may also feel like you have less "twitch" reaction ability.

Zimmer

« Reply #1417 on: August 18, 2016, 07:59:35 PM »

Generally, you'll see very few pure street skaters with anything bigger than 54-56 because ollies and such get sluggish at that point but for tranny you can get higher and faster with way less effort.

To keep speed on bowls with small wheels you need to pump the shit out of them. When I ride 58s or above it takes so much less effort but you may also feel like you have less "twitch" reaction ability.

Makes sense, I've got some 58mms I couldn't groove with, maybe ill try them out on some park stuff!

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #1418 on: August 27, 2016, 05:19:05 PM »
Switching from originally F4 Classic 51mm 99a (now probably 50mm or 49mm) to conical full 52mm and wow what a difference, love em!

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1419 on: September 02, 2016, 05:57:29 PM »
Hey Lenny, I looked on the measurements chart on spitfires site but I couldn't see the specs for a 53 conical, anyone know the width/riding surface?

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #1420 on: September 02, 2016, 09:31:40 PM »
Regular conical 53 = Width 32, Riding surface 20
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1421 on: September 03, 2016, 12:47:45 AM »
Good looks Tangar, gnar'd

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1422 on: September 06, 2016, 12:14:08 PM »

I typically ride 53/54 mm on just about everything (I don't skate vert) and 54s if they are hard enough, work fine or street and bowls. I can out-speed most people at my local park with 52s/swiss six but I get winded fast.

Depending on what you do on street, you can get away with 54/55s I don't flip in or out (maybe a pop shuv in/out or impossibles, maybe a heel out) but flipping in to me, requires smaller wheels, flipping out you have a bit more time for setup.

N.L.

« Reply #1423 on: September 07, 2016, 12:20:43 PM »
I've ridden f4s since the beginning and finally got a significant flat spot. not bad odds and i was intentionally trying to fuck them up by having a little school yard power slide contest with myself. i reckon i was pretty close to a 10'er... anyway, i do a lot of slides and this is the first time i've fucked an F4 to the point where the flat spot won't fix itself with a few hill bombs. still backing the shit out them.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #1424 on: September 07, 2016, 02:16:32 PM »
For anyone who was wanting to try a set of the classic slim reynolds f4, my shop has them on sale $24.99, we offer pretty inexpensive shipping on small items or free over $75.00.
http://www.35thave.com/shop/Skate/Wheels/Spitfire/p/Spitfire-Andrew-Reynolds-Sweeper-Formula-Four-Classic-Slim-99a-x16024421.htm

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #1425 on: October 19, 2016, 10:13:19 PM »
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #1426 on: October 19, 2016, 10:23:56 PM »
no more classic slims  :o 8)

http://spitfirewheels.com/formulafour/
Nobody rode those things anyway. Classics are already a pretty slim wheel, just seemed redundant.
you never know about pre-cum 

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #1427 on: October 19, 2016, 10:27:51 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Nobody rode those things anyway. Classics are already a pretty slim wheel, just seemed redundant.
I agree, I have seen more 99a Classics and Conicals but, yet to see the slims in action
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #1428 on: October 20, 2016, 01:25:21 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

yeah probably the case. i didnt think id feel a difference but the local has like two more sets which ill proably stock up on and be a bit better than to switch it out so quick. (4 months is usually my switch out time)
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1429 on: October 20, 2016, 09:03:17 AM »
I got the slims, I like em a lot for street, but find I ride over the coping too much on tranny

micky682

« Reply #1430 on: October 20, 2016, 11:51:45 AM »
Probably already talked about in the thread, but was it the difference between the radials/radials slims and classics or conicals?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1431 on: October 20, 2016, 04:02:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
no more classic slims� :o 8)

[close]
[close]
I agree, I have seen more 99a Classics and Conicals but, yet to see the slims in action

I've a set of both the slims are pretty damn slim in comparison; too soft for me at 99a.

GinosGroceries

« Reply #1432 on: October 20, 2016, 09:01:23 PM »
Bring back the tablet shape!!!!

GOATMOON

• Rep: -1
« Reply #1433 on: October 20, 2016, 09:20:22 PM »

I had a weird experience with those wheels. For some reason they felt softer than the regular 99a f4's and didn't screech at all when powersliding or reverting which I fucking hated. It sounded like a muffled, wet fart or some shit. Plus I was skating some wide ass conicals before them and they felt like stilts in comparison. I switched to 99a radial slims and like those a lot better.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #1434 on: October 21, 2016, 11:26:29 AM »
my 99 classic slims definitely feel softer than my 99 radial slims

contact patch is several mm smaller but slides less it seems

overall my favorite wheel is the 101 conical full - the controlled slide is incredible

« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 11:29:02 AM by sharkin »

Jake From State Farm

« Reply #1435 on: October 21, 2016, 12:10:36 PM »

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #1436 on: November 14, 2016, 11:09:45 PM »
I'm gonna be trading for some classic slims soon and your comments are giving me mixed feelings. I don't want them to feel too soft but I also was worried about slipping out. When you guys say soft, do they feel grippier or just slower? I'm trying to skate more street and less parks so that's why I wanted to give them a shot.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1437 on: November 22, 2016, 07:04:17 PM »
I'm gonna be trading for some classic slims soon and your comments are giving me mixed feelings. I don't want them to feel too soft but I also was worried about slipping out. When you guys say soft, do they feel grippier or just slower? I'm trying to skate more street and less parks so that's why I wanted to give them a shot.

I didn't notice a difference between 99a classics and classic slims other than gripping slightly less on slides. They'll be fine for 'real' street, especially if you have shit roads.

99a spits just feel super slow to me in parks, even the 101s due (compared to SPF/OJs/Ricta, but these rattle your brain on street).

calvinsdream

« Reply #1438 on: November 30, 2016, 08:03:14 AM »
After a long time of looking, I finally found the F4 101 58mm. It's the classic shape. Excited to see how these work out.

Rick Sanchez

« Reply #1439 on: November 30, 2016, 08:35:07 AM »
Anyone else cop the glow in the dark f4s or am I the only gimp who thought they were kinda cool