Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 689551 times)

fleabagmatt and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

JusticeAbberdash

Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #1590 on: August 23, 2017, 05:12:53 PM »
Those look so nice. But I don't think I can go back to 99 after skating 101's

This. I started riding 101s first, then switched to 99s for a year, now I'm back on 101s and will probably stick with them from now on. For someone like me who likes the feel of hard wheels on street they're pretty much perfect. Once they're worn in they grip good enough for anything other than crazy tranny GT style stuff.

soccer mom

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -17
« Reply #1591 on: August 28, 2017, 03:47:02 PM »
I love the Lock in's, my favorite wheel ever was F4 101 tablets and the Lock In's lock like the tablets. I dig the wheels, but am hoping for Lock In Slims! Do it Deluxe, I'm sure you would sell tons of them. ( Not that you are not selling tons of Regular Lock In's )

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1592 on: August 28, 2017, 04:06:15 PM »
Going off of Tactics measurements table the Lock-Ins are 1.5mm skinnier than Conical Fulls but have a greater contact surface.
I'm of two minds about trying these out, i love the conical fulls but a squared out inner side is interesting

Daniel

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1593 on: August 29, 2017, 09:17:04 PM »
101a radial slims for life.

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #1594 on: August 29, 2017, 09:55:48 PM »
101a radial slims for life.

101a radial normal width for life. but what size? 53 probably.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #1595 on: August 29, 2017, 10:03:23 PM »
Lock ins  ::) what are you going to do when they start to cone?
you never know about pre-cum 

Pigeon

« Reply #1596 on: August 29, 2017, 10:06:18 PM »
Flip them and deal with having the graphics on the outside.

Diocletian

« Reply #1597 on: August 29, 2017, 10:20:38 PM »
I've always gone 54mm classic shape 101's until today, I bought some 54mm 101 radial slims. I like the aesthetic when looking down at them. I'll skate tomorrow and already know they're gonna slide like butter. Spitfire really set the standard when they came out with the formula four. They're unbeatable, period!

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #1598 on: August 29, 2017, 10:47:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Flip them and deal with having the graphics on the outside.
You mean the lock in flat side on the outside... That's what I was getting at.
you never know about pre-cum 

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #1599 on: August 30, 2017, 01:00:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Gotta set of the Radial F4's 53mm. was skating the Radial Slims before, skated the regular radials for a few days but couldn't get used to them so went back to the old radial slims. dont think i can really get used to the wider wheels like the conicals, classic wide, radial etc. radial slims are the widest i can go.
[close]

I seem to be the exact opposite. Got a set of radial slims now and I'm wondering why I ever bought them. Really hard getting used to them. I feel like I should have at least conicals if not conical fulls. Even with 149s on a 8.25" the radial slims look a bit too magic carpet for me. I'll give them a few more sessions and if I can't get used to them, I'll have to get rid of them and get something wider. Funny how this goes.  :D
[close]
i'll buy them off ya if there in good condition
[close]

They're hardly used, but I'm in Finland and I'm guessing you're not, so it probably won't be logistically feasible.
[close]

Set up a new set of radial slims, 101/52mm (the ones with the cobra) and 2 sessions in I have the same problem that I had with my previous set of radial slims. The bearings keep sliding out of the pockets (after 2-3 tricks or a few turns of just riding) and the board feels slow and sluggish which is expected when the bearings are not placed properly. I just wonder if both sets were faulty as I never had this problem with any other set of spitfires (bones would do that but only when the bearing sockets would become slack, after a month or so). I know this can be cured/avoided by using spacers and I really don't wanna get into another "spacers are good" discussion. Anyway, just ordered two sets of classics 52mm and 50mm and can't wait for them to arrive.
[close]

:D I'm at the other end of that argument for sure but yeah, let's not get into it. I have spacers in my radial slims so I haven't had any such issues but the bearings do not sit deep at all in the radial slims. I think that might be causing them not to be seated very tight.

felt like trying classics so i threw a old set on replacing my radial slims and holy shit - theres a world of a difference on how the bearings function in the classic shape (bearings go in deep) and the radial slims (bearings dont go in deep)  - the classics allow the bearings to spin faster.. after trying the classic slim, classic wide, conical full, radial and radial slim.. the classic really works the best for me!
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #1600 on: August 30, 2017, 01:49:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Gotta set of the Radial F4's 53mm. was skating the Radial Slims before, skated the regular radials for a few days but couldn't get used to them so went back to the old radial slims. dont think i can really get used to the wider wheels like the conicals, classic wide, radial etc. radial slims are the widest i can go.
[close]

I seem to be the exact opposite. Got a set of radial slims now and I'm wondering why I ever bought them. Really hard getting used to them. I feel like I should have at least conicals if not conical fulls. Even with 149s on a 8.25" the radial slims look a bit too magic carpet for me. I'll give them a few more sessions and if I can't get used to them, I'll have to get rid of them and get something wider. Funny how this goes.  :D
[close]
i'll buy them off ya if there in good condition
[close]

They're hardly used, but I'm in Finland and I'm guessing you're not, so it probably won't be logistically feasible.
[close]

Set up a new set of radial slims, 101/52mm (the ones with the cobra) and 2 sessions in I have the same problem that I had with my previous set of radial slims. The bearings keep sliding out of the pockets (after 2-3 tricks or a few turns of just riding) and the board feels slow and sluggish which is expected when the bearings are not placed properly. I just wonder if both sets were faulty as I never had this problem with any other set of spitfires (bones would do that but only when the bearing sockets would become slack, after a month or so). I know this can be cured/avoided by using spacers and I really don't wanna get into another "spacers are good" discussion. Anyway, just ordered two sets of classics 52mm and 50mm and can't wait for them to arrive.
[close]

:D I'm at the other end of that argument for sure but yeah, let's not get into it. I have spacers in my radial slims so I haven't had any such issues but the bearings do not sit deep at all in the radial slims. I think that might be causing them not to be seated very tight.
[close]

felt like trying classics so i threw a old set on replacing my radial slims and holy shit - theres a world of a difference on how the bearings function in the classic shape (bearings go in deep) and the radial slims (bearings dont go in deep)  - the classics allow the bearings to spin faster.. after trying the classic slim, classic wide, conical full, radial and radial slim.. the classic really works the best for me!

what do you have to say about these wheels regarding bearing placement? I have never seen a set of classic slims first hand and have always been into the slimmer shapes so I'm curious. I had ordered a set of classics 52mm and a set of classics 50mm and both arrived yesterday. As stated on the spitfire sizing diagram, the 50mm are slightly narrower than the 52mm and look like a treat to skate. I'm going to set the 52's first and when they are done I will go to the 50's so I don't feel the transition in size as much. I know for a fact that the smaller I go on wheel size, the better my skating gets (I am an old-ish pussy and mostly skate mirror smooth concrete)
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #1601 on: August 30, 2017, 05:07:34 PM »
I skated some classic slims and the bearings sit fine. Not noticeably pushed out at all, like they look on the radial slims.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #1602 on: August 30, 2017, 05:40:28 PM »
@ Esquivel -what Tangar said - theres no noticeable  difference. heres a old photo

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHWpze4DX0l/?taken-by=imran927
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1603 on: August 31, 2017, 02:04:43 AM »
@ Esquivel -what Tangar said - theres no noticeable  difference. heres a old photo

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHWpze4DX0l/?taken-by=imran927

I am worried about my laptop's keyboard because right now I am drooling hard- these classic slims look absolutely amazing. Skated the 52mm set yesterday, stoked like every time I have laid my hands on classics.
Expand Quote
[close]

Diocletian

« Reply #1604 on: September 02, 2017, 09:20:18 PM »
I'm about 5 days in with my radial slim 101a 54mm's and they are seriously the greatest wheels ever. They get me so stoked with every powerslide that comes effortlessly. Even less effort than the classic shape, these are just pure butter. Aesthetically, they look so perfect on my stage 7 Indy's. Thank you deluxe, you absolutely nailed it with this formula and shape.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #1605 on: September 05, 2017, 11:50:58 AM »
I guess I'm going against the grain here.
I was on a set of radial slims 52mm 101a for about 6 months or so. Overall they were great. But recently I was skating this spot where I was landing sideways in a big crack / seam. I landed bolts like 10 times and kept getting pitched because I could not roll through this crack. Right then I decided I wanted a little wider wheel next time. Also, I found that I'd be going fast and just try to carve backside and I would start sliding. Although it's kind of fun to lose control and then regain it, that is not what I want from a wheel.
So this time around, I got some conicals. 52mm, 99a. So far, I'm loving them and think I've found the perfect wheel. It's only 1.5 mm wider than the slims, so it's still skinny enough. And they still slide great for powerslides or nose/tail slides. But I'm not just losing grip out of the blue like I was with the 101's.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #1606 on: September 05, 2017, 12:34:53 PM »
I was on a set of radial slims 52mm 101a for about 6 months or so. Overall they were great. But recently I was skating this spot where I was landing sideways in a big crack / seam. I landed bolts like 10 times and kept getting pitched because I could not roll through this crack. Right then I decided I wanted a little wider wheel next time. Also, I found that I'd be going fast and just try to carve backside and I would start sliding. Although it's kind of fun to lose control and then regain it, that is not what I want from a wheel.
So this time around, I got some conicals. 52mm, 99a. So far, I'm loving them and think I've found the perfect wheel. It's only 1.5 mm wider than the slims, so it's still skinny enough. And they still slide great for powerslides or nose/tail slides. But I'm not just losing grip out of the blue like I was with the 101's.
The exact reason why I switched from those back to good ole stf v3's. Most of my friends skate F4's without any problems but for me they were little bit too unpredictable,especially on tight tranny.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 12:46:10 PM by Krooked antihero »
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #1607 on: September 10, 2017, 05:06:36 PM »
Quote from: Krooked antihero  link=topic=68020.msg2682959#msg2682959 date=1504640093
Expand Quote
[close]
The exact reason why I switched from those back to good ole stf v3's. Most of my friends skate F4's without any problems but for me they were little bit too unpredictable,especially on tight tranny.

I've been having this issue recently with Formula 4's as well.  I got the new Lock Ins and they're really slippery.  Had me reminiscing about Parkburners.

May just try to pick up some Classics and try to forget about all these formula's.

gumi

« Reply #1608 on: September 10, 2017, 05:09:58 PM »
Quote from: Krooked antihero  link=topic=68020.msg2682959#msg2682959 date=1504640093
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I've been having this issue recently with Formula 4's as well.  I got the new Lock Ins and they're really slippery.  Had me reminiscing about Parkburners.

May just try to pick up some Classics and try to forget about all these formula's.

Are classics much different to f4's? I heard they flatspot way easier. F4's have never let me down so I'd be bummed if I spend 35 on classics and they suck when I could have got f4's for 40

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1609 on: September 15, 2017, 07:31:53 AM »

Are classics much different to f4's? I heard they flatspot way easier. F4's have never let me down so I'd be bummed if I spend 35 on classics and they suck when I could have got f4's for 40

Classics do flatspot easier - get f4s

Dr. Octagon

« Reply #1610 on: September 15, 2017, 07:41:07 PM »
picked up some 56mm 99A conical fulls today, the last set I had in that size/shape lasted two years.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #1611 on: September 19, 2017, 06:05:46 AM »
Anyone curious on the lock ins I'd highly recommend them

I set up a pair of 53mm 99a last week and I gotta say they lock in way better than any other shape -- go figure

gumi

« Reply #1612 on: September 19, 2017, 07:08:46 AM »
I skate my f4's for like a year minimum so not keen on buying a set of lockins and them wearing down weird/the gimmick vanishing. Makes sense to just stick with classic shape

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #1613 on: September 25, 2017, 07:18:44 PM »
I've been running radial slim 99s in the winter and 101s in the summer. I've decided I like the 101s more, so I bought some conical 101s for the winter. I'm thinking the little bit of extra width will be enough for slippery situations. Can anyone let me know how the conicals compare to the radial slims?

It's weird, 101s seem to ride fine in snow, but are suicide in the rain!!

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1614 on: September 25, 2017, 08:53:23 PM »
I've been running radial slim 99s in the winter and 101s in the summer. I've decided I like the 101s more, so I bought some conical 101s for the winter. I'm thinking the little bit of extra width will be enough for slippery situations. Can anyone let me know how the conicals compare to the radial slims?

They should slide about the same as a bigger surface area (wider wheel) does not increase the coefficient of friction (grip).

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1615 on: September 26, 2017, 12:18:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They should slide about the same as a bigger surface area (wider wheel) does not increase the coefficient of friction (grip).

I agree with this but it has made me think what the ideal wheel width for powerslides would be. I have noticed that if I am using super skinny wheels I get some serious vibration because of the abrasion of the wheels paired with their narrow shape. The wider the wheels, the pitch of the vibration becomes finer and I get to slide smoother without much "brrrrrrr" but more of a "screeech" sound that I believe helps preserve speed and also puts less stress on my bearings. Any thoughts? What is SLAP's preferred wheel width for powerslides? For 52mm that I usually skate I definitely have to go radial slims>classics
Expand Quote
[close]

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #1616 on: September 26, 2017, 12:42:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I agree with this but it has made me think what the ideal wheel width for powerslides would be. I have noticed that if I am using super skinny wheels I get some serious vibration because of the abrasion of the wheels paired with their narrow shape. The wider the wheels, the pitch of the vibration becomes finer and I get to slide smoother without much "brrrrrrr" but more of a "screeech" sound that I believe helps preserve speed and also puts less stress on my bearings. Any thoughts? What is SLAP's preferred wheel width for powerslides? For 52mm that I usually skate I definitely have to go radial slims>classics

For street skating at nice spots, definitely something thinner like radial slims. For bombing hills and skating shitty terrain, a wider wheel like lock-ins or conicals/conical fulls help a bit.

gumi

« Reply #1617 on: September 26, 2017, 02:38:07 AM »
Classics, hence the name

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1618 on: September 26, 2017, 07:05:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

V3s for Tranny? Mini ramps maybe...

calvinsdream

« Reply #1619 on: September 26, 2017, 07:33:03 AM »