Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 689495 times)

Jebediah, jakeumms (+ 1 Hidden) and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Spitfire4life

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -20
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #1650 on: December 22, 2017, 09:30:57 PM »
Not only have I caught truck madness, but now I'm getting wheel madness. I love the classic (as in non Formula Fours), but they can't slide, and I'm horrified of trying too hard and flat spotting them. I'm going to pick up some 101a F4s. That was my first set of F4s I ever tried, so it might be nice to have a reunion. I'll post back soon.
If you take medical advice from this puddle of retards you are going to die.

Spitfire4life

• Rep: -20
« Reply #1651 on: December 26, 2017, 10:36:54 PM »
Picked up some 101a's in the classic shape and I am absolutely in love with them. I didn't realize how hard to was to slide Spit classics until I got these.  Even on the more slippy parts of the park they didn't slide out, but if I needed them to, they did. If anyone's considering these, get them!
If you take medical advice from this puddle of retards you are going to die.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1652 on: December 27, 2017, 07:12:24 AM »
Got some of the lock ins for xmas -

Just my opinion  - They do help lock in, even more noticeably on transition - awesome wheel

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • BadDreams nightmarecollective.
    • BadDreams nightmarecollective. 📺 avatar image
« Reply #1653 on: December 28, 2017, 08:51:48 AM »
99s are already slippery enough and handle rougher ground a lot better than 101s.
This. My 56 F4 99a's are amazing.

micky682

« Reply #1654 on: December 29, 2017, 11:26:59 AM »

Just my opinion  - They do help lock in, even more noticeably on transition - awesome wheel
Please let us know how they look and feel overtime.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #1655 on: December 29, 2017, 02:28:25 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

They hold up like any other formula four. They also don't cone that much so you don't have to worry about not being able to flip them over for a little bit. As far as helping you lock in, I definitely think it helps a little bit, especially if slipping out is an issue for you. Great wheels

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1656 on: December 30, 2017, 01:06:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

They hold up like any other formula four. They also don't cone that much so you don't have to worry about not being able to flip them over for a little bit. As far as helping you lock in, I definitely think it helps a little bit, especially if slipping out is an issue for you. Great wheels

I normally ride classics. Just picked-up a pair of lock-ins out of curiosity. Inside profile on them doesn't look too different from radials. I was going to try them this week, but it snowed, and temp hasn't gone above 10 degree all week (Boston). Some day...
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #1657 on: December 30, 2017, 08:11:18 AM »
Anyone know what's up with the 99a Lock-Ins?

I was eyeing these as my next wheels, but they seem to be pretty widely unavailable at the moment.

alraunen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #1658 on: December 30, 2017, 02:08:17 PM »
After 2 years I'm looking for a new set of Formula 4s, best fucking wheels I ever skated in 15 years. Just noticed that they changed the colours to green/yellow on the new stock. There's any other change beside the graphic? Thanks

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #1659 on: April 03, 2018, 06:50:48 AM »
Is there a big difference between the regular Radial vs Conical? (Not Slim or Full)

Anyone ridden both?

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #1660 on: April 03, 2018, 07:37:24 AM »
Is there a big difference between the regular Radial vs Conical? (Not Slim or Full)

Anyone ridden both?

I prefer conical over those two (lock-ins are my favorite) - seemed like there was more control in tranny parks without sacrificing slideability.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #1661 on: April 03, 2018, 12:38:53 PM »
I guess I'm going against the grain here.
I was on a set of radial slims 52mm 101a for about 6 months or so. Overall they were great. But recently I was skating this spot where I was landing sideways in a big crack / seam. I landed bolts like 10 times and kept getting pitched because I could not roll through this crack. Right then I decided I wanted a little wider wheel next time. Also, I found that I'd be going fast and just try to carve backside and I would start sliding. Although it's kind of fun to lose control and then regain it, that is not what I want from a wheel.
So this time around, I got some conicals. 52mm, 99a. So far, I'm loving them and think I've found the perfect wheel. It's only 1.5 mm wider than the slims, so it's still skinny enough. And they still slide great for powerslides or nose/tail slides. But I'm not just losing grip out of the blue like I was with the 101's.

Quoting myself just to show how nothing is ever set in stone. Overall I liked the conicals. But had 1 main issue with them. For the entire 6 months I was skating them; I could not do a crooked grind. It was kind of strange. Slappy crooks still worked. But ollieing into one, I would always slip right out. Or not even get into it. I got myself another set of radial slims, 99A this time. And first day set up, I'm back to crooking no problem. Had them on about a month now and I'm loving them. Flip tricks seem more flippy with the thin lighter weight wheel. Slicing through cracks may be a bit more precarious, but it seems a small price to pay. Now, it seems like it might be an issue getting another set of them. My local only carries the conical & classic. And finding them online is looking like a bit of a challenge. I don't want colored wheels or 101a.

Smartass

• Rep: 46
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1662 on: April 03, 2018, 06:29:45 PM »
Expand Quote
I was on a set of radial slims 52mm 101a for about 6 months or so. Overall they were great. But recently I was skating this spot where I was landing sideways in a big crack / seam. I landed bolts like 10 times and kept getting pitched because I could not roll through this crack. Right then I decided I wanted a little wider wheel next time. Also, I found that I'd be going fast and just try to carve backside and I would start sliding. Although it's kind of fun to lose control and then regain it, that is not what I want from a wheel.
So this time around, I got some conicals. 52mm, 99a. So far, I'm loving them and think I've found the perfect wheel. It's only 1.5 mm wider than the slims, so it's still skinny enough. And they still slide great for powerslides or nose/tail slides. But I'm not just losing grip out of the blue like I was with the 101's.
[close]

Quoting myself just to show how nothing is ever set in stone. Overall I liked the conicals. But had 1 main issue with them. For the entire 6 months I was skating them; I could not do a crooked grind. It was kind of strange. Slappy crooks still worked. But ollieing into one, I would always slip right out. Or not even get into it. I got myself another set of radial slims, 99A this time. And first day set up, I'm back to crooking no problem. Had them on about a month now and I'm loving them. Flip tricks seem more flippy with the thin lighter weight wheel. Slicing through cracks may be a bit more precarious, but it seems a small price to pay. Now, it seems like it might be an issue getting another set of them. My local only carries the conical & classic. And finding them online is looking like a bit of a challenge. I don't want colored wheels or 101a.

I would ask your local shop if they would be down to special order them for you. All my locals never have an issue doing so as long they already have an account with their distributor.

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #1663 on: April 03, 2018, 09:44:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I would ask your local shop if they would be down to special order them for you. All my locals never have an issue doing so as long they already have an account with their distributor.

I've tried a lotta the different shapes of the f4's and i really feel the best with the classics.. Idk if the fact that most of my skate life ive ridden the classic shape between spits and other brands...but yeah i feel the most comfortable on the 99s.. got a set on my board right now and a fresh set as a backup
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

redux

• Rep: -5
« Reply #1664 on: April 18, 2018, 04:49:43 AM »
Need F4 in Big Heads.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #1665 on: April 18, 2018, 07:50:59 AM »
I want a brian hansen rainbow swirl f4 (preferably lock-ins)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 07:53:13 AM by Firebert »

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1666 on: April 21, 2018, 12:21:00 PM »
Need F4 in Big Heads.

Oooo those would be nice, a 99a f4 bighead
yes

maggotspawn

• Rep: 4
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1667 on: April 22, 2018, 12:23:35 PM »
Just got some 99a 56mm Conical Full's. They were a little sticky at first, but after they got broken in they were fine.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1668 on: April 25, 2018, 02:27:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Need F4 in Big Heads.
[close]

I saw on Thiebauds instagram they're doing a classic graphic f4 with some shop, it looks really good. Maybe some of their more known wheels graphics are starting to shift over to the f4s

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1669 on: April 25, 2018, 07:16:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Need F4 in Big Heads.
[close]

[close]

I saw on Thiebauds instagram they're doing a classic graphic f4 with some shop, it looks really good. Maybe some of their more known wheels graphics are starting to shift over to the f4s

IDK why they still make the original formula when the f4 is superior. i know a lot of the team still rides the regular 99 classic formula but i feel majority of the production should be focused on f4s

[

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #1670 on: April 26, 2018, 03:57:04 AM »
You know how fickle skateboarders are, I'm a long time spitfire guy and took me a little to get used to the different feel of the F4, they are better but feel different, some people don't like change.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1671 on: April 26, 2018, 04:21:05 AM »
You know how fickle skateboarders are, I'm a long time spitfire guy and took me a little to get used to the different feel of the F4, they are better but feel different, some people don't like change.

haha yeah man we're over the top OCD - i loved the f1 spits before f4's came about but for regular dudes like us who pay full price buying f4's from there on out was a no brainer..

[

Not Local

« Reply #1672 on: April 26, 2018, 07:58:53 AM »

IDK why they still make the original formula when the f4 is superior. i know a lot of the team still rides the regular 99 classic formula but i feel majority of the production should be focused on f4s

I think it is. But there seems to be a new push with the Classics which apparently they've reworked a bit. Lenny kindly sent me a set to try but it might be awhile as I have a relatively new set of F4 101s on the rig right now. Super curious.... as Classics in the 90s were my favorite wheel of all time (Along with OJ Freezstreets of course)

maggotspawn

• Rep: 4
« Reply #1673 on: April 26, 2018, 09:40:35 AM »
Which durometer F4 for skate parks, 99a or 101a?

MaitlandPrivado

• Rep: 29
« Reply #1674 on: April 26, 2018, 09:54:03 AM »

It's all personal preference of course but I like 99s for outdoor parks in winter, indoor or slippery parks, 101s for pretty much everything else.

Not Local

« Reply #1675 on: April 26, 2018, 09:57:33 AM »
99s unless you really love ledge dancing, if so, 100s.

calvinsdream

« Reply #1676 on: April 26, 2018, 10:24:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Need F4 in Big Heads.
[close]

Those would've been the classic fulls. Same dimensions.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #1677 on: April 26, 2018, 10:32:42 AM »

What kind of park? I prefer the 101s for the extra speed, and I get good enough grip with them.   If your park is super slippery then it may make sense to go 99s, although I almost always choose speed over grip.   99s feel better on actual pavement.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1678 on: April 26, 2018, 11:16:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It's all personal preference of course but I like 99s for outdoor parks in winter, indoor or slippery parks, 101s for pretty much everything else.

This seems to be commonplace with those that ride 99s.

LennyDLXSF

• Rep: 77
  • Deluxe Customer Service
« Reply #1679 on: April 26, 2018, 11:19:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Need F4 in Big Heads.
[close]

[close]

Those would've been the classic fulls. Same dimensions.

Correct.

Weren't quite popular enough to justify keeping them in the line, unfortunately.