Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 217774 times)

alraunen

• Rep: -4
    • www.davidcampillo.net
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #1680 on: December 30, 2017, 02:08:17 PM »
After 2 years I'm looking for a new set of Formula 4s, best fucking wheels I ever skated in 15 years. Just noticed that they changed the colours to green/yellow on the new stock. There's any other change beside the graphic? Thanks

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #1681 on: April 03, 2018, 06:50:48 AM »
Is there a big difference between the regular Radial vs Conical? (Not Slim or Full)

Anyone ridden both?

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -39
    • WEEKEND skateboards
« Reply #1682 on: April 03, 2018, 07:37:24 AM »
Is there a big difference between the regular Radial vs Conical? (Not Slim or Full)

Anyone ridden both?

I prefer conical over those two (lock-ins are my favorite) - seemed like there was more control in tranny parks without sacrificing slideability.
I've hated immigrants ever since I got here.

handsclapanin

• Rep: 149
« Reply #1683 on: April 03, 2018, 12:38:53 PM »
I guess I'm going against the grain here.
I was on a set of radial slims 52mm 101a for about 6 months or so. Overall they were great. But recently I was skating this spot where I was landing sideways in a big crack / seam. I landed bolts like 10 times and kept getting pitched because I could not roll through this crack. Right then I decided I wanted a little wider wheel next time. Also, I found that I'd be going fast and just try to carve backside and I would start sliding. Although it's kind of fun to lose control and then regain it, that is not what I want from a wheel.
So this time around, I got some conicals. 52mm, 99a. So far, I'm loving them and think I've found the perfect wheel. It's only 1.5 mm wider than the slims, so it's still skinny enough. And they still slide great for powerslides or nose/tail slides. But I'm not just losing grip out of the blue like I was with the 101's.

Quoting myself just to show how nothing is ever set in stone. Overall I liked the conicals. But had 1 main issue with them. For the entire 6 months I was skating them; I could not do a crooked grind. It was kind of strange. Slappy crooks still worked. But ollieing into one, I would always slip right out. Or not even get into it. I got myself another set of radial slims, 99A this time. And first day set up, I'm back to crooking no problem. Had them on about a month now and I'm loving them. Flip tricks seem more flippy with the thin lighter weight wheel. Slicing through cracks may be a bit more precarious, but it seems a small price to pay. Now, it seems like it might be an issue getting another set of them. My local only carries the conical & classic. And finding them online is looking like a bit of a challenge. I don't want colored wheels or 101a.

Smartass

• Rep: 29
« Reply #1684 on: April 03, 2018, 06:29:45 PM »
I was on a set of radial slims 52mm 101a for about 6 months or so. Overall they were great. But recently I was skating this spot where I was landing sideways in a big crack / seam. I landed bolts like 10 times and kept getting pitched because I could not roll through this crack. Right then I decided I wanted a little wider wheel next time. Also, I found that I'd be going fast and just try to carve backside and I would start sliding. Although it's kind of fun to lose control and then regain it, that is not what I want from a wheel.
So this time around, I got some conicals. 52mm, 99a. So far, I'm loving them and think I've found the perfect wheel. It's only 1.5 mm wider than the slims, so it's still skinny enough. And they still slide great for powerslides or nose/tail slides. But I'm not just losing grip out of the blue like I was with the 101's.

Quoting myself just to show how nothing is ever set in stone. Overall I liked the conicals. But had 1 main issue with them. For the entire 6 months I was skating them; I could not do a crooked grind. It was kind of strange. Slappy crooks still worked. But ollieing into one, I would always slip right out. Or not even get into it. I got myself another set of radial slims, 99A this time. And first day set up, I'm back to crooking no problem. Had them on about a month now and I'm loving them. Flip tricks seem more flippy with the thin lighter weight wheel. Slicing through cracks may be a bit more precarious, but it seems a small price to pay. Now, it seems like it might be an issue getting another set of them. My local only carries the conical & classic. And finding them online is looking like a bit of a challenge. I don't want colored wheels or 101a.

I would ask your local shop if they would be down to special order them for you. All my locals never have an issue doing so as long they already have an account with their distributor.

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -37
« Reply #1685 on: April 03, 2018, 09:44:43 PM »

I would ask your local shop if they would be down to special order them for you. All my locals never have an issue doing so as long they already have an account with their distributor.

I've tried a lotta the different shapes of the f4's and i really feel the best with the classics.. Idk if the fact that most of my skate life ive ridden the classic shape between spits and other brands...but yeah i feel the most comfortable on the 99s.. got a set on my board right now and a fresh set as a backup
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

redux

• Rep: -9
« Reply #1686 on: April 18, 2018, 04:49:43 AM »
Need F4 in Big Heads.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • WEEKEND skateboards
« Reply #1687 on: April 18, 2018, 07:50:59 AM »
I want a brian hansen rainbow swirl f4 (preferably lock-ins)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 07:53:13 AM by Firebert »
I've hated immigrants ever since I got here.

rob

• Rep: -87
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1688 on: April 21, 2018, 12:21:00 PM »
Need F4 in Big Heads.

Oooo those would be nice, a 99a f4 bighead
yes

maggotspawn

• Rep: -6
« Reply #1689 on: April 22, 2018, 12:23:35 PM »
Just got some 99a 56mm Conical Full's. They were a little sticky at first, but after they got broken in they were fine.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 168
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1690 on: April 25, 2018, 02:27:11 PM »
Need F4 in Big Heads.

I saw on Thiebauds instagram they're doing a classic graphic f4 with some shop, it looks really good. Maybe some of their more known wheels graphics are starting to shift over to the f4s

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1691 on: April 25, 2018, 07:16:48 PM »
Need F4 in Big Heads.

I saw on Thiebauds instagram they're doing a classic graphic f4 with some shop, it looks really good. Maybe some of their more known wheels graphics are starting to shift over to the f4s

IDK why they still make the original formula when the f4 is superior. i know a lot of the team still rides the regular 99 classic formula but i feel majority of the production should be focused on f4s

[

Jollyoli

• Rep: 47
« Reply #1692 on: April 26, 2018, 03:57:04 AM »
You know how fickle skateboarders are, I'm a long time spitfire guy and took me a little to get used to the different feel of the F4, they are better but feel different, some people don't like change.
Hey, hey, hey, hey-now. Don't be mean; we don't have to be mean, cuz, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.
Buckaroo Banzai.

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1693 on: April 26, 2018, 04:21:05 AM »
You know how fickle skateboarders are, I'm a long time spitfire guy and took me a little to get used to the different feel of the F4, they are better but feel different, some people don't like change.

haha yeah man we're over the top OCD - i loved the f1 spits before f4's came about but for regular dudes like us who pay full price buying f4's from there on out was a no brainer..

[

Not Local

• Rep: 10
« Reply #1694 on: April 26, 2018, 07:58:53 AM »

IDK why they still make the original formula when the f4 is superior. i know a lot of the team still rides the regular 99 classic formula but i feel majority of the production should be focused on f4s

I think it is. But there seems to be a new push with the Classics which apparently they've reworked a bit. Lenny kindly sent me a set to try but it might be awhile as I have a relatively new set of F4 101s on the rig right now. Super curious.... as Classics in the 90s were my favorite wheel of all time (Along with OJ Freezstreets of course)

maggotspawn

« Reply #1695 on: April 26, 2018, 09:40:35 AM »
Which durometer F4 for skate parks, 99a or 101a?

MaitlandPrivado

• Rep: 25
« Reply #1696 on: April 26, 2018, 09:54:03 AM »

It's all personal preference of course but I like 99s for outdoor parks in winter, indoor or slippery parks, 101s for pretty much everything else.

Not Local

« Reply #1697 on: April 26, 2018, 09:57:33 AM »
99s unless you really love ledge dancing, if so, 100s.

calvinsdream

• Rep: 14
  • Dusted and disgusted
« Reply #1698 on: April 26, 2018, 10:24:55 AM »
Need F4 in Big Heads.

Those would've been the classic fulls. Same dimensions.

backinaction

• Rep: 12
« Reply #1699 on: April 26, 2018, 10:32:42 AM »

What kind of park? I prefer the 101s for the extra speed, and I get good enough grip with them.   If your park is super slippery then it may make sense to go 99s, although I almost always choose speed over grip.   99s feel better on actual pavement.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 7
« Reply #1700 on: April 26, 2018, 11:16:55 AM »

It's all personal preference of course but I like 99s for outdoor parks in winter, indoor or slippery parks, 101s for pretty much everything else.

This seems to be commonplace with those that ride 99s.

LennyDLXSF

• Rep: 73
  • Deluxe Customer Service
« Reply #1701 on: April 26, 2018, 11:19:10 AM »
Need F4 in Big Heads.

Those would've been the classic fulls. Same dimensions.

Correct.

Weren't quite popular enough to justify keeping them in the line, unfortunately.

maggotspawn

« Reply #1702 on: April 27, 2018, 11:47:06 AM »

What kind of park? I prefer the 101s for the extra speed, and I get good enough grip with them.   If your park is super slippery then it may make sense to go 99s, although I almost always choose speed over grip.   99s feel better on actual pavement.
The parks here are concrete and smooth. When I was skating them back around 2013 I was using 99a SPF's IIRC.
Though they may have been 101a. Powell seems to have changed the durometer on them now. I'll stick with the Spitfires. Loved them back in the 90's.

Jud Nestorkins

« Reply #1703 on: April 28, 2018, 09:07:57 AM »
I ride 99s at my park and they are perfect. 101s are a little slippery.

redux

• Rep: -9
« Reply #1704 on: May 02, 2018, 05:25:05 AM »
Need F4 in Big Heads.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 61
« Reply #1705 on: May 02, 2018, 05:47:06 AM »
I'd be interested in trying 101s toe side and 99s heel side

Has anyone mixed up duros like that before?

Jollyoli

• Rep: 47
« Reply #1706 on: May 02, 2018, 07:07:16 AM »

not intentionally
Hey, hey, hey, hey-now. Don't be mean; we don't have to be mean, cuz, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.
Buckaroo Banzai.

Not Local

« Reply #1707 on: May 04, 2018, 07:40:09 AM »

Are you really trying to summon some form of ancient demon?

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 630
« Reply #1708 on: May 04, 2018, 07:57:50 AM »

I heard if you run 55's in the back and 50's in the front you ollie higher.

backinaction

• Rep: 12
« Reply #1709 on: May 04, 2018, 09:35:29 AM »

I heard if you run 55's in the back and 50's in the front you ollie higher.

Are you Kader?