Author Topic: Spitfire formula four  (Read 689556 times)

typeischeap (+ 1 Hidden) and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

maggotspawn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Spitfire formula four
« Reply #1680 on: April 27, 2018, 11:47:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Which durometer F4 for skate parks, 99a or 101a?
[close]

What kind of park? I prefer the 101s for the extra speed, and I get good enough grip with them.   If your park is super slippery then it may make sense to go 99s, although I almost always choose speed over grip.   99s feel better on actual pavement.
The parks here are concrete and smooth. When I was skating them back around 2013 I was using 99a SPF's IIRC.
Though they may have been 101a. Powell seems to have changed the durometer on them now. I'll stick with the Spitfires. Loved them back in the 90's.

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #1681 on: April 28, 2018, 09:07:57 AM »
I ride 99s at my park and they are perfect. 101s are a little slippery.

redux

• Rep: -5
« Reply #1682 on: May 02, 2018, 05:25:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Need F4 in Big Heads.
[close]

Oooo those would be nice, a 99a f4 bighead

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #1683 on: May 02, 2018, 05:47:06 AM »
I'd be interested in trying 101s toe side and 99s heel side

Has anyone mixed up duros like that before?

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #1684 on: May 02, 2018, 07:07:16 AM »

not intentionally
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Not Local

« Reply #1685 on: May 04, 2018, 07:40:09 AM »

Are you really trying to summon some form of ancient demon?

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1686 on: May 04, 2018, 07:57:50 AM »

I heard if you run 55's in the back and 50's in the front you ollie higher.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #1687 on: May 04, 2018, 09:35:29 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I heard if you run 55's in the back and 50's in the front you ollie higher.

Are you Kader?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct_y1M4o8Ik

Diocletian

« Reply #1688 on: May 14, 2018, 03:23:10 AM »
Anyone know if the regular classic spitfires are now made in USA? I bought some recently and think I got some old stock because they say they’re made in Mexico. I could have swore all spit’s were made in USA. Also, did they update their formula for the regular classics and improve them?

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #1689 on: May 23, 2018, 01:09:32 AM »
^ as far as i know all spits are made in the US

just got these - in love with swirled wheels

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bi6tS9clShq/?taken-by=imran927
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

CINCINNATI

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #1690 on: May 23, 2018, 06:02:14 AM »
looking to grab a set of 56 or 58mm classic shape 99's. are they still fairly wide? ive been riding nothing but 56mm conical fulls (99 and 101) the last 3 years and am nervous that i am so used to fat wheels and the classics wont work out.

Jollyoli

« Reply #1691 on: May 23, 2018, 06:24:38 AM »
Size chart here -
http://www.spitfirewheels.com/formulafour/

only found a small difference going from conical / full back to classics, slid ledges a little easier and were lighter but broke traction a little earlier if throwing it into a tight pocket at speed.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

maggotspawn

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1692 on: May 24, 2018, 05:02:32 PM »
Anybody else think the 99a F4's are a little too grippy? Haven't tried them at the park, but on asphalt and the concrete road in front of my house they barely slide at all. Might try out some 101a's.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #1693 on: May 24, 2018, 05:06:29 PM »
Anybody else think the 99a F4's are a little too grippy? Haven't tried them at the park, but on asphalt and the concrete road in front of my house they barely slide at all. Might try out some 101a's.

What shape? I find them slightly on the grippy side if I'm doing blunts on ledges, but besides that, I think they're perfect (you can always wax the ledge, but you can't unwax the ground). 101s and similar wheels are too slippery when I'm bombing hills and want to slide to slow down, always feel like I'm at risk of slipping out. 99 is also more forgiving on rough ground too. I guess the only time I really want to slide on the ground is when I'm going fast down a hill, but if you want easier reverts out of 180/360 tricks on flat then 101s might make more sense.

maggotspawn

« Reply #1694 on: May 24, 2018, 05:26:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What shape? I find them slightly on the grippy side if I'm doing blunts on ledges, but besides that, I think they're perfect (you can always wax the ledge, but you can't unwax the ground). 101s and similar wheels are too slippery when I'm bombing hills and want to slide to slow down, always feel like I'm at risk of slipping out. 99 is also more forgiving on rough ground too. I guess the only time I really want to slide on the ground is when I'm going fast down a hill, but if you want easier reverts out of 180/360 tricks on flat then 101s might make more sense.
Yeah, basically I want to slide for checking speed when going downhill. I'm running 56mm Conical Full's.
Otherwise they feel great for everything else.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1695 on: May 24, 2018, 06:31:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Yeah, basically I want to slide for checking speed when going downhill. I'm running 56mm Conical Full's.

56 conical fulls would be very grippy. If you like that size/shape, 101s would be good. If you want to stick with 99s, a thinner shape would probably be easier to slide I'm guessing

ballintoohard

« Reply #1696 on: May 24, 2018, 07:16:21 PM »
I was on 54 Classic 99a for a while and tried Conicals. I mainly skate street, I suck, and sometimes carve around parks. I'm finding them feeling not a ton different except when locking in or grinding. Would Radial Slims be a noticeable difference or compromise? I might just go back to Classics. I think I liked the 101 better.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1697 on: May 24, 2018, 08:48:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

56 conical fulls would be very grippy. If you like that size/shape, 101s would be good. If you want to stick with 99s, a thinner shape would probably be easier to slide I'm guessing

Wheel width has nothing to do with grip. Conical fulls aren't any more grippy than classics.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #1698 on: May 24, 2018, 09:09:09 PM »
Not so sure wheel width has nothing to do with grip. I would feel more confident taking a tight turn with wider wheels. I am running 52 mm 99a Radials and I find they slide more easily than I need them to. I am sure that the classics would provide even less traction at speed. Don’t SF hill bombers ride conical full? There has got to be a reason for this, yes?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1699 on: May 24, 2018, 09:11:38 PM »
Wider wheels will make it a bit easier on shoddy terrain

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1700 on: May 24, 2018, 10:26:55 PM »
Not so sure wheel width has nothing to do with grip. I would feel more confident taking a tight turn with wider wheels. I am running 52 mm 99a Radials and I find they slide more easily than I need them to. I am sure that the classics would provide even less traction at speed. Don’t SF hill bombers ride conical full? There has got to be a reason for this, yes?

https://youtu.be/idYX7kkRqbs

Conical fulls will wear down slower as there’s more material to wear down. Also wider wheels are better for rough terrain cuz the wideness evens the small dents in the road out better.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1701 on: May 24, 2018, 10:39:05 PM »
Don’t SF hill bombers ride conical full? There has got to be a reason for this, yes?
Not all of them, Frank's infamous switch hill bomb was done on what looked like classic shapes.

Wider wheels will make it a bit easier on shoddy terrain

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1702 on: May 25, 2018, 12:14:34 AM »
Yes, the classical formula for friction does not involve surface area: F = mu, where u is the coefficient of friction. However this simple model developed by Coloumb, while accurate for classroom experiments like in that youtube video, does not factor in all the variables involved in traction in the real world. So saying wheel width has no effect on grip, or more specifically traction, may often be inaccurate.

You're not considering load sensitivity, sidewall flexing, slip angles at speed amongst other factors. It's similar to why wider tires are preferred for increased traction (especially on acceleration) for bikes and cars and stuff. Rubber and urethane, despite being different compounds, are both elastic and display many of the similar properties.

TLDR: Although friction is unrelated to surface area in controlled environments with smooth surfaces, wider wheels with larger contact patches still generally have increased traction if you control for all other variables.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 12:16:48 AM by tzhangdox »

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #1703 on: May 25, 2018, 02:16:34 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

but thats the best feeling

Jollyoli

« Reply #1704 on: May 25, 2018, 02:24:16 AM »

TLDR: Although friction is unrelated to surface area in controlled environments with smooth surfaces, wider wheels with larger contact patches still generally have increased traction if you control for all other variables.

Thank a non-specific deity, I was beginning to think I was on crazy pills.
Friction is not the same thing as breaking traction.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1705 on: May 25, 2018, 02:41:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

but thats the best feeling

haha, perhaps i should be more precise. 99s give you that feeling as well, but 101s for me, result in more actual slipping out. if you want that feeling, find a gnarlier hill.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #1706 on: May 25, 2018, 02:49:11 AM »
i feel you i have 101a f4s was chucking powerslides down a hill last weekend and kept sliding into switch, that was a fucking scary one

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #1707 on: May 25, 2018, 04:22:48 AM »
I've spent the last 5 years watching my board and trucks get wider and wider while my wheels stay relatively the same.  Today I finally moved up from conical F4 to conical full F4

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1708 on: May 25, 2018, 01:13:13 PM »
Yes, the classical formula for friction does not involve surface area: F = mu, where u is the coefficient of friction. However this simple model developed by Coloumb, while accurate for classroom experiments like in that youtube video, does not factor in all the variables involved in traction in the real world. So saying wheel width has no effect on grip, or more specifically traction, may often be inaccurate.

You're not considering load sensitivity, sidewall flexing, slip angles at speed amongst other factors. It's similar to why wider tires are preferred for increased traction (especially on acceleration) for bikes and cars and stuff. Rubber and urethane, despite being different compounds, are both elastic and display many of the similar properties.

What does load sensitivity or sidewall flexing have to do with skateboard wheels? Skateboard wheels are incredibly hard compared to car tires and the load on a skateboard is like 1/20th of the load on a car or less. And what do slip angles have to do with wheel width?

Expand Quote

[close]

Thank a non-specific deity, I was beginning to think I was on crazy pills.
Friction is not the same thing as breaking traction.

When you "break traction" you move from static friction to kinetic friction. They are indeed different but it's all friction nonetheless.

I've had Formula Fours in Classic, Classic Full, Radial Slim & Conical Full shapes and I could not for the life of me tell any difference between them in how they slide. Sure there are other differences but I will not believe that a narrower skateboard wheel will slide better until someone actually proves it. So far I haven't seen or experienced anything that supports that this would be the case.  :)

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1709 on: May 25, 2018, 01:33:44 PM »
I will not believe that a narrower skateboard wheel will slide better until someone actually proves it. So far I haven't seen or experienced anything that supports that this would be the case.  :)
Remind me to never listen to this person again.