Author Topic: Jeremy Scott rips-off Jim and Jimbo Philips  (Read 12832 times)

Mevs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 29
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 05:17:59 AM by Mevs »
mhe-likes.tumblr.com
Instagram: @Mevs82

Binomial Nomenclature

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
Re: Jeremy Scott rips-off Jim and Jimbo Philips
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 07:14:51 AM »
Wasn't the Roskopp one the lowest seller anyway?

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 08:22:10 AM »
the Roskopp was everywhere in the 80s.

and i think this would fall under "homage" and not rip-off.  i doubt Santa Cruz and Phillips would see it that way, unless Scott somehow licensed it from them (Santa Cruz/Phillips seem pretty serious about its copyrights)

from an industry that has always prided itself on rip-off art and homage, i think its pretty funny how up in arms people get when someone bites something of ours
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

tommyjohn

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 10:18:07 AM »
Looks super ugly.

busey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1284
  • i can't it's a geo!
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 10:38:03 AM »
YOU GUYZ JUST DON'T GET FASHION

I rolled my ankle jacking off on a ladder.

ZEBRA

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 03:15:02 PM »
Not surprised by this. Shits weak, son!!!

the tranny monster

• Rep: -22
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 05:34:29 PM »
The least he could've done was not make it look like shit.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 06:21:22 PM »
ripped off or inspired by?

SKATE DAD

• Rep: 5
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 06:34:19 PM »
YOU GUYZ JUST DON'T GET FASHION

Do they make a mens small?

Mevs

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 02:20:31 PM »

and i think this would fall under "homage" and not rip-off.  i doubt Santa Cruz and Phillips would see it that way, unless Scott somehow licensed it from them (Santa Cruz/Phillips seem pretty serious about its copyrights)

from an industry that has always prided itself on rip-off art and homage, i think its pretty funny how up in arms people get when someone bites something of ours

Philips Sr. has already released statements saying that they were definitely not licensed, so that rules that out.

Given how almost everyone on here has an opinion about "corporates" trying to take over skateboarding, I would have thought that a high-fashion hack like Jeremy Scott outright stealing some of skateboarding's most iconic graphics would have garnered more of a reaction than just asking if it's a homage or not (if it was homage then Philips would have been credited for providing the "inspiration", which he wasn't). When Sieben was ripped off By Shawn White's brother for that shitty line of "skate" wear for Target, people on here were rightly pissed about it. This is even more blatant given that it's been perpetrated by someone as big as Jeremy Scott, and all you can do is shrug your shoulders? Lame as fuck
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 02:24:10 PM by Mevs »
mhe-likes.tumblr.com

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 02:22:47 PM »
dude didn't you know? harrycrews and august moon are liek soooooooo postmodern, death of the author brooooooooooo

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 02:45:03 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Philips Sr. has already released statements saying that they were definitely not licensed, so that rules that out.

Given how almost everyone on here has an opinion about "corporates" trying to take over skateboarding, I would have thought that a high-fashion hack like Jeremy Scott outright stealing some of skateboarding's most iconic graphics would have garnered more of a reaction than just asking if it's a homage or not (if it was homage then Philips would have been credited for providing the "inspiration", which he wasn't). When Sieben was ripped off By Shawn White's brother for that shitty line of "skate" wear for Target, people on here were rightly pissed about it. This is even more blatant given that it's been perpetrated by someone as big as Jeremy Scott, and all you can do is shrug your shoulders? Lame as fuck

like i said before, Santa Cruz and the Phillips brothers always were adamant about defending their copyrights, so if it isn't licensed, I'm sure they are going to sue the fuck out of the guy.  this is totally different from the Sieben/Target thing.  That was mass produced and sold by a major corporation; most of Jeremy Scott's stuff doesn't even make it to production.  not saying his shit isn't lame.  it most certainly is.  i just think the hypocrisy of the skate industry (an industry that some would say pushed the envelope of ripoff/spoof graphics) being outraged over someone doing the same to one of its very own icons is laughable.
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Decreed Bratton

• Rep: 19
  • it's possible a man slipped in there.
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 03:09:51 PM »
I know what you are saying but to me it's two different things.  When a skate company rips off something that is largely famous like a Coca-Cola logo or Burger King the mass population knows what that is and where it came from.  So however wrong it may be it is/was at that time quite funny (to me at least).  The difference is when someone like this rips off Jim Phillips or the Sieben/Target thing, no one except for a skateboarder knows where this came from.  So this guy drawing it up and putting it on his sweaters and shit is like he's claiming this is his original artwork because the mass public doesn't know it even existed. 

shit_for_brains

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 07:44:25 AM »
Here's Brink talking with who I presume are some fashion girls about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=44BtGQCDojo#!

Mevs

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 09:40:48 AM »
Santa Cruz just posted this on their Facebook page:

We know there is a lot of controversy regarding fashion designers Jeremy Scott's new Winter collection in regards to the iconic Phillips art work similarities. We are aware and our CEO issued this statement......

""We had never heard of Jeremy Scott until it was brought to our attention," said Robert A. Denike, CEO and President, NHS, Inc./Santa Cruz Skateboards.

"This is not a collaboration or under license, nor did we or the Phillips family approve the use of this artwork on his apparel designs in any way.

"It's obvious to us, the Phillips family, the fans of Jim Phillips Sr. and Jimbo Phillips, and fans of the brand Santa Cruz Skateboards, as well as many in the global skateboard and skate art community that there is clear and obvious infringement by Mr. Scott. We are discussing this with our legal team to determine our next steps.

"These two artists and this brand are iconic. Any true fan of skateboarding will tell you how the Phillips artwork style, this brand and the activity of skateboarding has positively influenced their lives.

"It may just be artwork to Mr. Scott, to be used and thrown away by next season, but these artists and brand mean a lot to many people around the world. And by the looks of the outcry on social media, skateboarders and non-skater's alike are angry to have two of their most favored artists and one of the original true skateboard brands violated in such a way.

"I hope that Mr. Scott sees that his actions have hurt and affected many people, including the Phillips family, and that he has also severely damaged his own reputation. It is not too late for him to do the right thing, as an artist and creative person, and fix his error in judgement." 
mhe-likes.tumblr.com

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2013, 09:48:14 AM »
Would Phillips even get a cut?  Does he own that shit?

Pretty sure some cholos shed a few tears that Powell made all that money off the rat bones logo.....

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2013, 05:52:09 PM »
I appreciate the sentiment of the discussion thing they did with Brink, but their constant references to Jimbo as the one being ripped off bugged me a little. Jimbo didn't do shit in the 70's and 80's. All that early Santa Cruz art that Jeremy Scott ripped off is Jim's. Jimbo is Jim's son - he was born in the 70's and started doing art for Santa Cruz in the 90's.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 05:57:04 PM by Baron Samedi »

GZA liquidswords

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2013, 05:59:30 PM »
 what the fuck is this shit, oh yeah lets just keep pushing the creative side of skating to where it does not belong "verrrry arrrtsy piece of clothing soo loud and vibrrrrant!"  get the fuck outta here

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2013, 09:05:57 PM »
At least jeremy scott throws good parties?

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2013, 10:20:38 PM »
All my fav shit in the 90's was ripped from something.

Ps A$AP rocky gives good brain.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2013, 01:56:28 AM »
Expand Quote
I appreciate the sentiment of the discussion thing they did with Brink, but their constant references to Jimbo as the one being ripped off bugged me a little. Jimbo didn't do shit in the 70's and 80's. All that early Santa Cruz art that Jeremy Scott ripped off is Jim's. Jimbo is Jim's son - he was born in the 70's and started doing art for Santa Cruz in the 90's.

[close]

At least they had our backs ... they are fashion chicks ... and I spoke with them before we did that video and they told me the fashion world LOVES that douche Jeremy and kinda turns a blind eye to all his ripping off because he's their little darling ...

But yeah, I tried to correct them tastefully a few times while speaking but it didn't work. Haha.

I was actually kind of surprised to see them on "our side" so strongly.

Grubby Mits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -76
  • kim you need to leave him
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2013, 02:43:21 AM »
I think it's time for our very own special SLAP homage...

Here's a candid shot I caught of Jeremy Scott clicking his fingers for service in a restaurant - what a dick!

Make your own

« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 03:36:44 PM by Grubby Mits »

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2013, 03:04:42 AM »
I know what you are saying but to me it's two different things.  When a skate company rips off something that is largely famous like a Coca-Cola logo or Burger King the mass population knows what that is and where it came from.  So however wrong it may be it is/was at that time quite funny (to me at least).  The difference is when someone like this rips off Jim Phillips or the Sieben/Target thing, no one except for a skateboarder knows where this came from.  So this guy drawing it up and putting it on his sweaters and shit is like he's claiming this is his original artwork because the mass public doesn't know it even existed. 
This.

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2013, 02:08:29 PM »
I would suppose that he took the graphics without any idea of who he was taking it from and how easily it was going to come back to him. I would guess he had an idea to do 80s skateboard graphics, googled it, found Jim Phillips and probably figured the guy lives in a shack in Iowa with no internet and would never find out.

Edit: Let's burn him at the stake.

Edit 2: Just watched the video Brink and saw that you made the same point adding that he may have also just not been afraid to rip skateboarding off because we don't have the legal capabilities of Fox or we are just way too stoned to care. All fair arguments.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 04:09:30 PM by happenstance »

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2013, 03:59:00 PM »
Robert Brink; Skate-Culture Pundit

foureyedjim

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2013, 04:10:28 PM »
Don't give a shit what happens to Jeremy Scott, honestly  

But it'd be cool to see the Philips see money going their way  ;D

Also love you Brink for bashing Target and UO

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2013, 05:31:50 PM »
Dude is a talentless hack, hopefully the Phillips family can get some sort of compensation. The funny thing is that if he just asked they might have let him do it!

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2013, 06:06:23 PM »
jeremy scott adidas... HOLY SHIT?

but anyone knows where they even sell this kind of "high fashion" stuff or how much it'd run for? a santa cruz hoody is like $27

Seamus_McShamebag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2013, 06:54:14 PM »
I think it's time for our very own special SLAP homage...

Make your own

Dude's hairstyle is either an homage or a blantent rip-off...

foureyedjim

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2013, 01:07:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Don't give a shit what happens to Jeremy Scott, honestly  

But it'd be cool to see the Philips see money going their way  ;D

Also love you Brink for bashing Target and UO

[close]

UO is wack as fuck.

Word.  The store has zero coherence, the whole store is just a rip off of something.