Author Topic: Kickflipping Stairs  (Read 5891 times)

almostskater186

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -1
Kickflipping Stairs
« on: February 25, 2013, 08:20:04 PM »
I'm having trouble kickflipping down stairs. I can kickflip consistently on flat and can ollie the stairs no problem. When I try to kickflip the stairs the board always lands right in front of my feet, or hits the top of my feet before it finishes its rotation. I know practice makes perfect but does anyone have any tips for keeping the board underneath me? Thanks.

Merked

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -157
Re: Kickflipping Stairs
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 07:52:44 PM »
Try doing them over stuff first.  Get your pop and catch down.  Therefore, you can get the feel of keepin em under your feet.  Try em over like a few decks stacked or a bench.  Or, just do tre flips down sets.  Fuckin hate doing kickflips.
I suck at SLAP.

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -133
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 04:50:59 PM »
Try doing them over stuff first.  Get your pop and catch down.  Therefore, you can get the feel of keepin em under your feet.  Try em over like a few decks stacked or a bench.  Or, just do tre flips down sets.  Fuckin hate doing kickflips.

Solid advice sir!
And I agree about kickflips down shit, sometimes they work alright, other times they just feel weird and piss me off. Fs flips are easier down shit than kickflips
I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

SkateViolence

• Rep: 9
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 08:03:15 PM »
Well, for me, doing kickflips off/over/down things is generally a less exaggerated motion. When doing them on flat I usually extend my front leg and wait for the catch but when doing them off something it's usually much more of a subtle flick so that I stay centered over the board. That's just me, though.

Cameron Hoegee

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 08:27:42 PM »
Well, for me, doing kickflips off/over/down things is generally a less exaggerated motion. When doing them on flat I usually extend my front leg and wait for the catch but when doing them off something it's usually much more of a subtle flick so that I stay centered over the board. That's just me, though.
I totally agree with this. slow down a bit more than you usually would ollieing the set. because you are in the air a little longer you don't have to flick as much, less flick will stay under your feet better and with less speed you won't really have to catch it as much as the board and you landing at the same time.

Merked

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 07:25:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I totally agree with this. slow down a bit more than you usually would ollieing the set. because you are in the air a little longer you don't have to flick as much, less flick will stay under your feet better and with less speed you won't really have to catch it as much as the board and you landing at the same time.

Faster flick and higher catch off the stairs looks/feels so much better though.  Not saying that I can do it well, lol.  Just popping the kickflip and catching it like a foot above the stairs you are going down is baus status.
I suck at SLAP.

Cameron Hoegee

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 09:31:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Faster flick and higher catch off the stairs looks/feels so much better though.  Not saying that I can do it well, lol.  Just popping the kickflip and catching it like a foot above the stairs you are going down is baus status.
It does but if hes just starting kickflipping stairs hes better off getting used to doing it this way, then progressing himself.

Merked

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 01:11:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
It does but if hes just starting kickflipping stairs hes better off getting used to doing it this way, then progressing himself.

True.
I suck at SLAP.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 03:10:09 PM »
I used to be good at kickflipping stairs, but these days whenever I try to kickflip stairs they always end up rocketing. Got em on flat perfectly leveled, but off stuff it's always rocketed. Seems like the only trick I have good down shit these days are front shoves....
.....Anyways, enough about my short comings, on to kickflipping stairs. I feel it's easier to do them off stairs and gaps when you do a slower flick and slower flip, and catch it more on the way down, rather than have a fast flick and catch it right away, just my personal opinion. I feel that when you catch them right away you get the urge to kick them away more on the way down. They look cool as hell when you catch them right away, but I find them harder to do that way.

ontheswarm

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 10:01:22 PM »
I used to be good at kickflipping stairs, but these days whenever I try to kickflip stairs they always end up rocketing. Got em on flat perfectly leveled, but off stuff it's always rocketed. Seems like the only trick I have good down shit these days are front shoves....
.....Anyways, enough about my short comings, on to kickflipping stairs. I feel it's easier to do them off stairs and gaps when you do a slower flick and slower flip, and catch it more on the way down, rather than have a fast flick and catch it right away, just my personal opinion. I feel that when you catch them right away you get the urge to kick them away more on the way down. They look cool as hell when you catch them right away, but I find them harder to do that way.
You have rad front shoves. I had a homie that was the best at kickflipping anything. When I watched him do it he would always try to pop up as high as he could and catch it super quick then have the rest of the time just float down the gap.

steenz

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 11:39:27 AM »
i just do a kickflip thinking im on flatground. its all in your mind just do it

Rasmus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 11:53:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
You have rad front shoves. I had a homie that was the best at kickflipping anything. When I watched him do it he would always try to pop up as high as he could and catch it super quick then have the rest of the time just float down the gap.

this is where I've got the problem - I don't really skates stair bigger than 6 steps, because I get nervous as shit, when there's danger involved  :o, but I have landed a few kickflips down some stairs, and I honestly think the hardest part is just stop stressing in your hangtime and wait wait wait - whenever I get my brain to wait it usually ends up allright (except grinding on rails, which I have also no intention to participate in the future)

Thelonious P

• Rep: -12
  • BracknellMassif
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 06:10:59 AM »
Too fuckin right, fuck kickflips

atlien97

• Rep: -3
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 05:04:53 PM »
Try just working your way up from a curb to a full on stair set thats what works for me

shredbuffalo

• Rep: -43
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 09:15:48 AM »
Try just working your way up from a curb to a full on stair set thats what works for me

This is solid advice...Do it off a curb first, then off of a bigger one, a ledge, and so on.

What it sounds like to me is that you're (unconsciously) shooting the board forward because you're worried about clearing the stairs and it's all in your head. I used to do the same thing. Then I realized that I just had to had to do my kickflip the same way that I would do it on flat and as long as I had enough speed I would have no problem clearing the stairs, hence trying to force it forward was totally unnecessary. Same goes for heelflips (or any other flip trick I suppose.)

I also found myself trying to go way too fast a few times which fucked me up for a little while. When I took into account the height of the stairs/how far I actually needed to get to clear the stairs and made the right speed correction, it came a lot easier. Because you're going "out" and stairs are going down, the distance you have to travel isn't as far as it looks when you really think about it.

ThugWaffle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -140
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2013, 09:19:34 AM »
Kickflips... easy trick, yet hard to do... snapped my ankle doing it down a little 3 set 4 years ago. I got some OCD thing for kickflips where i cant stop trying to do em even tho i can't do em good for shit. Just do a 360 flip.

_aminal

• Rep: -8
  • win some, lose most.
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2013, 11:58:13 AM »
keeping yr front foot a little closer to bolts will help with the rotation.

Ed's impossibles are like gonzs kickflips....

arthurspooner

• Rep: 9
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2013, 08:07:37 PM »
Just don't do it. Stairs are not fun to skate

TheKraken

• Rep: -19
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2013, 07:15:23 PM »
This is going to sound stupid but just stop thinking about it. You can kickflip on flat, yes, that`s good. Stairs are the same thing you just go faster and hold on. Easy tricks like kickflips can mess with your mind, because it`s such a stock trick.. Seems like you`re a bit of a perfectionist, roll up go fast and try to stick it. 1 bail and you`ll know the problem, if you don`t.. try something else you`re not ready

Will Easley

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2013, 07:50:18 PM »

fuck outta here, stairs are a blast if you actually have the ability to skate em!

As for doing kickflips down shit, alot of it is definitely mental. dont worry so much about clearing the gap as you are the actual kickflip. if you can consistently pop and catch them decently high on flat then you should have it in the bag. alot of times i happen flip them slow and catch them late but all my best ones have been caught as early as possible as i float back down to the ground. I say mentally you just gotta really think about catching it more than anything else. DO NOT look down at the stair or anything else even for a split second cuz thats most likely the reason why you keep fucking up. trust yourself that you have enough speed & pop to clear it and focus ONLY on the kickflip as if you were on regular flatground. slow flip or fast flip that little tidbit right there is gonna be the key.

here's a couple examples of myself doing slow & fast kickflips down stairs. 100% of my focus is on my board the whole way down, not the stairs or anything else

fast kickflip
lol random clip 4

slow kickflip @ 2:28
Poop n Pee Throwaway 1

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2013, 08:21:57 PM »
the most important thing for me is to spot the point your going to pop ahead of time on the roll up. too many times I have popped at an awkward moment and rocketed. I try to pop half a foot before the edge of the stairs to get a clean take off.

oldgoodburger

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2013, 09:15:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

fast kickflip
lol random clip 4

that park looks like such a shit show

Will Easley

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2013, 10:00:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

fast kickflip
lol random clip 4

[close]

that park looks like such a shit show

Lol yeah it's in this hick town like 15 minutes away from me and its always filled with a bunch of lames. I go there fairly often just because its the best "well-rounded" park in the area but yeah, any kind of stereotypical skatepark lurker can be seen there. Later in the day it's pretty chill but in the afternoon it's just fucking packed with scooter kids & middle schoolers on bikes that don't do shit but get in your way. They usually stay on the other half of the park where there's a quarter and some bigger ramps so when it's like that I just skate the flatbars, ledges, & those stairs on the other half of the park. It's definitely a haven for kooks tho. Soooo fucking glad I'm moving to Arizona next week.

shredbuffalo

• Rep: -43
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2013, 07:04:25 PM »
the most important thing for me is to spot the point your going to pop ahead of time on the roll up. too many times I have popped at an awkward moment and rocketed. I try to pop half a foot before the edge of the stairs to get a clean take off.

When I'm kickflipping stairs I like to wait until my front wheels are right at the edge of the top stair. If I pop too early I think I mentally focus too much on clearing the stairs instead of the kickflip (even though the extra 6" never makes any difference) and it fucks me up.