Author Topic: Moving to London  (Read 9044 times)

Plato

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
Re: Moving to London
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2013, 12:01:29 PM »
1: What are the core shops ?  the ones that are worth giving your money too and supporting your local ?
By no means a complete list but Slam City Skates and Parlour are the ones that spring to mind in London.
Online would be SS20, Native, Endemic, Bored of Southsea and Reskue.

2: What brands are most popular ? Can I pretty much get anything or is it more UK / Euro brands ?
Palace has taken over boardwise in London but still a decent plurality of brands.

3: Cheapest places to live in London ? best way to get around in London ? buses or subway ?
Cheapest in central is generally the roughest. Elephant & Castle, Peckham, Brixton are cheapest in central but if you don't mind travelling then head out to train zones 4/5/6. Best way to get about varies heavily depending to time of day, weather etc but the tube seems to be the best.

4: What time does public transportation close down at night ? buses and subway ?
I live in Zone 6 so I don't have a clue about tube times but trains stop at about 12:30am but then night buses operate.

5:Any spot guide or any spots I need to check out ?  I mostly skate ledges and manual stuff . How are police against you ? Illegal to skate or pretty legal ?  people harassing you ?
Spot wise, a lot of places are a bust but only after 10 minutes. Elephant & Castle manual pad and blocks are hassle free and St Pauls area is usually okay.
North of the river i.e. St Pauls area is City of London police force who are generally decent guys that don't care but have to tell you to not come back. They usually say skating is illegal under an 1800's bylaw concerning four wheeled vehicles without brakes but its more idle threat than precedent.
Everywhere else is Metropolitan police territory who are the same in that they don't care but have to move you on.

6: How is the community ? people friendly ? any skate bars ?
Skater wise, people are usually in groups.  A bit of interaction but generally stick to who they know. No skate bars.

7: Any Slap pals in London who wanna skate or get drunk ?  Slap pal meet ups ?
I don't drink ha

8: Any outdoor / Indoor parks ?   Mini ramps ?
Mile end, Stockwell, Walthamstow, Southbank, White Grounds, Bay 66, Meanwhile 1 & 2, Victoria, Harrow, Dagenham, Kingston + More

Hope that helps

Grubby Mits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -76
  • kim you need to leave him
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2013, 04:34:45 PM »
Make sure you get down to notting hill carnival in august

gwoofbwal

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2013, 06:29:19 AM »
South East London is so much cheaper than east. its a bit more residential but its really sick. Peckham is the best place ive lived so far. Plus Peckham bowl is the best afternoon skate the is, apart from a few shootings now and then.

Liverpool and cardiff are a must. Lost Art shop in liverpool is the best shop in the uk and im not even from there. Mackey and the guys there are the friendliest dude going.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2013, 03:43:27 PM »
I'm not moving there but I thought I could use this thread to ask something..

Ok since the roadtrip project went to complete shit thanks to the last minute lamest excuses by what in theory is my best friend, I'm going to spend 10-15 days in London by a good old friend of mine..
I was wondering what would be some nice daytrip outside the city, since I already been there and I figured out I'll still have some time to do that..Brighton seems cool isn't it? Or feel free to suggest some stuff

Oh and is train a lot more expensive than bus there in the UK? (to do those daytrips)
Feel free to add random advice if you want, pretty much anything, that would be great  :)
Oh and we're down to skate, just keep in mind as I said somewhere else that we suck ass haha
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

Terry

• Rep: 3
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2013, 03:21:43 AM »
I'm not moving there but I thought I could use this thread to ask something..

Ok since the roadtrip project went to complete shit thanks to the last minute lamest excuses by what in theory is my best friend, I'm going to spend 10-15 days in London by a good old friend of mine..
I was wondering what would be some nice daytrip outside the city, since I already been there and I figured out I'll still have some time to do that..Brighton seems cool isn't it? Or feel free to suggest some stuff

Oh and is train a lot more expensive than bus there in the UK? (to do those daytrips)
Feel free to add random advice if you want, pretty much anything, that would be great  :)
Oh and we're down to skate, just keep in mind as I said somewhere else that we suck ass haha

Theres loads of good things to do up north and like somebody said earlier in the thread the Lake District is really nice if you want to chill out.
Brighton is probably the closest seaside town that isnt totally awful and you can get a coach there and maybe a cheap train if you book early, check www.redspottedhanky.co.uk if you want cheap fares.
If you wanted to go abit further you can go to the Isle of Wight which is really nice.
As far as transport prices go, get an Oyster card and you will save money, if you have an oyster a bus price is about ?1.35 and a tube maybe around ?2.30 (might be a bit off) but alot of journeys are actually walking distance.

If you are wanting to skate then i would stay away from Bay66 during the 6 weeks holidays which just started as its a nightmare, if you really want to go then try on an evening.
Theres loads of good parks, but for good vibes go to Mile End park (Nearest station is Mile End or Westferry) It has a skateshop which is actually a little cafe and the owners are really sound guys and will point you in the right direction for spots.

Have a good trip!!