Author Topic: b e r l i n  (Read 21888 times)

posguy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
Re: b e r l i n
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2016, 12:43:46 PM »
Expand Quote
might be heading out to Germany towards the end of the year. How's the weather in August/October? Worth bringing a board?
[close]

it's usually perfect then. shoot me a PM if you need any recommendations

I definitely will! Thanks for the heads up!

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2016, 03:54:58 PM »
might be heading out to Germany towards the end of the year. How's the weather in August/October? Worth bringing a board?

i was there from august to september for about 4 days and it was hot during the day and it rained at night for two of the days.  Its definitely worth bringing a board but i would suggest getting a hold of a bike.  The ground is kinda rough in certain areas and it was crowded where i was at. you could probably get cheap deals going at that time too.  Also look into flying in to cph if your coming from the states.  I paid like 170-190 for a one way ticket to cph then paid 25 euros to fly to berlin from cph and i bought those maybe 3 weeks before departing.  When you get there check out the pool in the river its super sick!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 03:56:38 PM by Aatila »

BBQStreisand

• Rep: -7
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2016, 05:23:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i was there from august to september for about 4 days and it was hot during the day and it rained at night for two of the days.  Its definitely worth bringing a board but i would suggest getting a hold of a bike.  The ground is kinda rough in certain areas and it was crowded where i was at. you could probably get cheap deals going at that time too.  Also look into flying in to cph if your coming from the states.  I paid like 170-190 for a one way ticket to cph then paid 25 euros to fly to berlin from cph and i bought those maybe 3 weeks before departing.  When you get there check out the pool in the river its super sick!

That's pretty much spot on. a bike is mandatory here since it's the most relaxed way to get around and the city is not as densely built as most other places. the distances from spot to spot can be pretty far when you're trying to push there. you can lend bikes on every corner for around 10€ a day and there's also a pretty good bike-on-demand system similar to citibike in nyc or velib in paris. i also have two spare bikes for guests in my backyard, so if any pal is flying in just hit me up beforehands and we can probably sort something out.

i would recommend to stay in the kreuzberg/neukölln area. lots of things to do, good vibe and many places to skate not to far from each other.

that pool is pretty sick, but kinda crowded usually. there's an okay ledge spot close by next to the canal where you can hang out during the day and crack some beers...

Tufty

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2016, 01:26:40 AM »

Well the weather kind of sucks compared with Greece where rains are only frequent in winter. I was there for 8 days in June and it rained half of the days it was mostly cloudy and sunny for 2 days. This is unheard for greek summers. Worth bringing a board definately but spots are REALLY far away from each other, and you cant really discover new ones in between so do your homework it will save you time. Biking is cool but distances are big even for bikes. I used a one week ticket for train/subway which was relatively cheap, even though as a visitor you can use them for free because they cant really fine you if you are from another country (didnt try it though as I had money and I was with girlfriend). Due to bad weather and not exploiting fully the dry weather days I only had the chance to skate Tempelhoff. The whole Tempelhoff park is worth visiting and the skate plaza is a unique place. Skate when you have the chance, visit museums and stuff when it rains.

posguy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2016, 04:15:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

That's pretty much spot on. a bike is mandatory here since it's the most relaxed way to get around and the city is not as densely built as most other places. the distances from spot to spot can be pretty far when you're trying to push there. you can lend bikes on every corner for around 10� a day and there's also a pretty good bike-on-demand system similar to citibike in nyc or velib in paris. i also have two spare bikes for guests in my backyard, so if any pal is flying in just hit me up beforehands and we can probably sort something out.

i would recommend to stay in the kreuzberg/neuk�lln area. lots of things to do, good vibe and many places to skate not to far from each other.

that pool is pretty sick, but kinda crowded usually. there's an okay ledge spot close by next to the canal where you can hang out during the day and crack some beers...

That's a pretty legit scene, might steer clear though just cause I've got some social anxiety that's increased when I'm around non-skaters cause that's all I know.

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2016, 05:19:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

That's pretty much spot on. a bike is mandatory here since it's the most relaxed way to get around and the city is not as densely built as most other places. the distances from spot to spot can be pretty far when you're trying to push there. you can lend bikes on every corner for around 10� a day and there's also a pretty good bike-on-demand system similar to citibike in nyc or velib in paris. i also have two spare bikes for guests in my backyard, so if any pal is flying in just hit me up beforehands and we can probably sort something out.

i would recommend to stay in the kreuzberg/neuk�lln area. lots of things to do, good vibe and many places to skate not to far from each other.

[close]

That's a pretty legit scene, might steer clear though just cause I've got some social anxiety that's increased when I'm around non-skaters cause that's all I know.

check out the metal ledges the ones where austyn gillette does the alley oop 50-50s in a line i forget what they are called but its across from a video store and a grocery store its down the street from the nike indoor skatepark Revaler Str. 99, 10245 Berlin, Germany.  The ledges are really good and the locals are friendly http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNpqjyfvP7c fast forward to 3:09 to see em

pile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 178
  • sweet, man.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2016, 07:52:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Well the weather kind of sucks compared with Greece where rains are only frequent in winter. I was there for 8 days in June and it rained half of the days it was mostly cloudy and sunny for 2 days. This is unheard for greek summers. Worth bringing a board definately but spots are REALLY far away from each other, and you cant really discover new ones in between so do your homework it will save you time. Biking is cool but distances are big even for bikes. I used a one week ticket for train/subway which was relatively cheap, even though as a visitor you can use them for free because they cant really fine you if you are from another country (didnt try it though as I had money and I was with girlfriend). Due to bad weather and not exploiting fully the dry weather days I only had the chance to skate Tempelhoff. The whole Tempelhoff park is worth visiting and the skate plaza is a unique place. Skate when you have the chance, visit museums and stuff when it rains.

do you live in greece? im gonna be there from april until june before heading to berlin.

Tufty

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2016, 03:45:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

do you live in greece? im gonna be there from april until june before heading to berlin.

Yeah which places will you visit? If you want info better make another topic.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 03:47:52 AM by Tufty »

pile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 178
  • sweet, man.
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2016, 07:59:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

i'll be staying in athens mostly, going to stay with a friend that i grew up skating with in vancouver (giorgio zavos). hopefully i'll get to go up to thessaloniki again because that place is amazing. which area are you in?

Tufty

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2016, 09:36:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

i'll be staying in athens mostly, going to stay with a friend that i grew up skating with in vancouver (giorgio zavos). hopefully i'll get to go up to thessaloniki again because that place is amazing. which area are you in?
Yeah zavos is quite famous in the greek scene. Used to study in thessaloniki until 2 years ago, best city in Greece in my opinion. I dont like Athens much to be honest. I am from a small town two hours from thessaloniki called Kavala. Kavala is small but cool in spring and summer, good food lot of beaches and island thassos just an hour by boat. There are 3 decent parks in the area (1 of them is in Xanthi) , I helped in the making of 2 of them. There is a lot of marble too as in most greek cities, however ground is mostly rough. People that come from other cities are also amazed by the amount of big hills we have, bombing hills here is a unique experience.  Skate scene is almost non existent in Greece outside thessaloniki and athens though.

You are coming to Greece in the best period, have fun.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 09:39:57 AM by Tufty »

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2016, 01:02:05 AM »
i`ll be there next thursday to tuesday, if anyone feels like having a session or a beer, feel free to connect!

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2017, 04:46:30 PM »
 not much on this thread about good non-skate stuff, anybody have some recommendations?

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2017, 05:39:04 PM »
not much on this thread about good non-skate stuff, anybody have some recommendations?
Get a bicycle, ride as far as you can, and just get lost. You'll have a blast.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2017, 05:49:48 PM »

If you want to go raving, just check RA events.

If you're interested in history or arts, you can get this
http://www.museumsportal-berlin.de/en/plan-your-visit/all-about-admission-fees/everything-three-days/
Probably easiest if you stay on Museum Island.

You can also visit Sachsenhausen

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sachsenhausen_concentration_camp

You can get there by S-Bahn.

And yeah, get a bike. Not sure how long you're staying, but I'd avoid the 12e-a-day rentals. Fuck that. Try this instead: http://www.bikesurf.org/berlin

Also, like Tufty said, visit Tempelhof: http://www.visitberlin.de/en/spot/tempelhofer-park

And yeah, just get lost, you won't be disappointed (unless you end up in Marzahn or something).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 05:53:20 PM by Alan »
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2017, 12:58:56 PM »
thanks for the advice, wound up strolling around, met some good people, cracked a rib, had a really nice time. Couple of the things I liked were:

the Book Nook is used English books, good variety at a good price and they give you free tea while you browse or read.
http://theberlinbooknook.blogspot.dk/p/blog-page.html

Laidak is a bar with good coffee, beer, board games and good music. You can smoke inside (special treat or deal-breaker for non-europeans).
http://laidak.net/

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2017, 03:31:04 PM »
lurking this thread got me stoked and sparked the idea of me moving to Germany for a while to teach English, skate, and travel when I can. Finishing up my last semester in college right now so this could actually be a possibility...  ;D

doing some brief research it seems like the requirements aren't too crazy to teach english. just bachelor's degree and some type certification. hmmmm

andygutierrez

• Rep: 0
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2017, 07:29:58 PM »
lurking this thread got me stoked and sparked the idea of me moving to Germany for a while to teach English, skate, and travel when I can. Finishing up my last semester in college right now so this could actually be a possibility...  ;D

doing some brief research it seems like the requirements aren't too crazy to teach english. just bachelor's degree and some type certification. hmmmm

Where did you get that info? I'm an EFL teacher and am taking the CAE exam in June and would love to work in Berlin

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2017, 09:32:10 AM »
pm-in ya^

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2017, 10:26:08 AM »
Going there at the end of july for a week with a friend that doesn't skate, I will still bring my board and try to skate as much as I can.
My other good friend lives there in prenzi and is into techno so I will have that covered.. anything else cool I should check out? Good places to chill? Good canal (and not crowded) spots to drink some beers in the sun? I've been there 4 times so I did all the classic stuff. Good tattoo shop?
If you want to meet up for a skate/beer/smoke hit me up.. I'm socially awkward but overall sound I think haha
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 01:21:34 PM by Mark Renton »
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2019, 12:38:04 AM »
Bumping this thread instead or creating a new one.

I moved here almost 2 months ago - any other Slap Pals living here? It would be cool to meet up and skate.

Also, any recommendations on favorite bars / vegan spots / cool shit?