Author Topic: Austin Stephens appreciation  (Read 16057 times)

L.S

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Austin Stephens appreciation
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2006, 12:11:48 AM »
that's bullshit. wellcome to hell is about great skateboarding, not hammers. there's very versatile skating in it and there isn't a single part that'd be all about hucking yourself down things. even jamie has plenty of other stuff as well.
LS stands for little sidekick, lil shit lil slug/slime etc etc

roulette

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2006, 01:35:51 AM »
is austin stephens a guy or a girl?

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
  • tiger style
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2006, 06:31:03 AM »
When Toy came through Houston, Austin didn't really do anything too impressive but maybe he wasn't really trying. I thought Matt Bennette was really fun to watch though and Harmony seems like a man on a mission.

don mccloud

• Rep: 0
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2006, 06:58:37 AM »
Expand Quote
In Welcome to hell Jamie Thomas does some big stuff but the video also has parts by Elissa Steamer, Satva leung, Donny Barley, its not exactly a "hammer" video like the Zero video were. It represents pretty much every aspect of modern street skating.
[close]
Its some gnar shit. Elissa's part ends with her eating shit hard on a nollie lipslide on a big ass ledge. Barley gets gnar too. Maldonado and Templeton shred the big shit too. The fast editing and pretty much entire format was taken by zero and used in later videos. This predates the hammer format we see today, but it pretty much sewed the seeds for the entire thing.

you should just lock yourself at home in your closet, away from real people and the real world during thanksgiving, because these motherfuckers are eating you alive

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2006, 09:23:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
In Welcome to hell Jamie Thomas does some big stuff but the video also has parts by Elissa Steamer, Satva leung, Donny Barley, its not exactly a "hammer" video like the Zero video were. It represents pretty much every aspect of modern street skating.
[close]
Its some gnar shit. Elissa's part ends with her eating shit hard on a nollie lipslide on a big ass ledge. Barley gets gnar too. Maldonado and Templeton shred the big shit too. The fast editing and pretty much entire format was taken by zero and used in later videos. This predates the hammer format we see today, but it pretty much sewed the seeds for the entire thing.
[close]

you should just lock yourself at home in your closet, away from real people and the real world during thanksgiving, because these motherfuckers are eating you alive
Not really. All I hear is arguments from a bunch of people who probably didn't even skate aat the time the video came out and are just continuously comparing it to more recent hammer videos. Fact is, that video is what it is. Think what you want, but remember, that shit came out at the same time as mouse. Compare the two. This argument doesn't make me think I'm wrong, it just makes me think a lot of you have no fucking clue what you are talking about. I know when that video came out me and my friends thought it was the gnarliest thing ever. Welcome to hell is not like an eastern exposure video or something like that, that has the whole variety of skating that was going on at the time. Its all just gnarly shit. Jumping down rails, over gaps, did you guys see the slam section? I'm done with this argument. Either you agree with me, or your just some kid who says welcome to hell was a cool video because you heard older kids say that and you want to fit in.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2006, 09:24:02 AM »
that's bullshit. wellcome to hell is about great skateboarding, not hammers. there's very versatile skating in it and there isn't a single part that'd be all about hucking yourself down things. even jamie has plenty of other stuff as well.
Oh, and Jamie's part isn't about hucking yourself down shit? Your fucking dreaming. It wasn't like something you'd see in a zero video today, but its as close as it got in '96.

lurkstatus

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2006, 10:09:15 AM »
is austin stephens a guy or a girl?

a hot guy.

JOE!

« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2006, 11:11:49 AM »
Yeah dude I agree but there are also skaters who can look natural and comfortable and be creative while skating rails and gaps

...nick...
tits

CUDDLEMONSTER

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 170
  • reptiles
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2006, 11:18:31 AM »
i have no idea why austin stephens doesn't come up when people talk about fake style. it's so fucking obvious. back tail to reasonless hand touch down bubba, double landings left and right, easy mini ramp slides on banks. all the pieces are there people.

PS: that kickflip back 5-0 down the rail in good and evil is perhaps the ugliest thing i've ever seen. the rail catches his board, which is the equvalent of having your kickflip roll on the ground.

roulette

« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2006, 11:42:02 AM »
but hes a girl so its ok?

gayderick

• Rep: -3
  • [quote author=S-Town Holla! link=topic=5625.msg144
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2006, 02:19:23 PM »
fuck gay austin stephens. FAKE STYLE... the dude pushes around like he can do anything he wants when all he does are gay tricks. that bs nosegrind 180 out, fakie 5-0 and then fakie tre line was the worst.

hoobastank

« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2006, 09:30:18 PM »
I agree with Turkey, that video was so gnarly when it came out.  If you were skating anytime near when it came out and you wanted the biggest and craziest shit done, Welcome to Hell was the video.  Jamie's part was so fucking crazy, and some of the shit in his part is still legit to this day.  It has changed, but not into anything unique like it used to be.  It is now becoming just another sleeper company.

cold budweisers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2006, 09:51:58 PM »
did you know that your username is 'hoobastank'?  therefore your opinion is invalid.

yoyoyo

• Rep: -64
  • MFS's daughter
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2006, 05:36:51 AM »
hold   your     breath, i am having sex with your mother ...............let....me...justtttttttttttttt.................finnnnnnnnish................awwwwwwwwgggoddddd, spluuuuuuuuuuuuurge.............. yeah, what? Noone can recognize good style, as if mariano slapped ur faces and you dident even notice cause you were toobusy sucking your balls on that 18  stair crotch slider, keep it gnar ladies.
slap heads did not get pete eldridge on mystery.
I am a cultereelist not a racist.

mungojerry

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2006, 07:22:16 AM »
While Austin's part was kindof good I suppose I still Dont get how Hes fucking sponsored. His Sponsor Me sucked too

alexander32thegrea

• Rep: -17
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2006, 08:06:17 AM »
reading this thread made want to go watch welcome to hell and well i did and its the sickest fucking video seriously to ever be made!  maldanado 5050 to fucking disaster a curb, satva skating to one of the illest songs ever used ina video part, barley doubledouble barleys! templeton ripping to sonicyouth and doing it proper in shorts! and jamie thomas wiht one of the most inspirational video parts of all time look at the filming the editing the skating the spots the tricks being done back in fucking 94-95! cant not watch that and get physced to go skate no way no how.  and stephens rips good style although a bit "faggy" at times

kingpinuser

• Rep: 54
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2006, 11:31:59 AM »
While Austin's part was kindof good I suppose I still Dont get how Hes fucking sponsored. His Sponsor Me sucked too

Yeah but it is not like the sponsor me video was done last year...i think it would have been maybe 1999, in or around that time. Sponsor me vids filming along with the skating where not what they are now as kids are getting crazy footage and filming and editing are almost as good as company vids...it was still buddy video style back then...and for then the tricks where solid for an unknown kid. But i got respect for the guy...but why would someone have an appreciation topic for Austin hahaha fuck man after reading the suffer the joy review you know the guy is hated on.

friershier

• Rep: -12
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2006, 12:08:10 PM »
It is not fair to claim Welcome to Hell is a hammer video because compared to Mouse it is, almost every video compared to mouse has a lot of rails and big gaps. Also if Welcome to Hell had Muska's part it would probably be the greatest video ever though it still might be in my opinion.

hoobastank

« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2006, 01:31:06 PM »
Did you know that I don't give a shit, nor do I like the band.  I might as well name it linkin park, or something more lame.  It is sarcasm, and I don't care what you think of my opinions because I will keep putting them on here with a really gay screename.  Later doooooode

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2006, 06:33:17 PM »
It is not fair to claim Welcome to Hell is a hammer video because compared to Mouse it is, almost every video compared to mouse has a lot of rails and big gaps. Also if Welcome to Hell had Muska's part it would probably be the greatest video ever though it still might be in my opinion.
See? You don't know what you are talking about. Mouse has a bunch of rails and gaps, but isn't all gnarly like welcome to hell. That video was just straight up gnarly. My point was, Welcome to Hell wasn't like a tech video of the time, it was more remembered for its hammers.

Sheep

• Rep: -10
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2006, 08:44:51 PM »
This whole "tech" vs. "banks" vs. "rails" shit is skateboarding's version of the East Coast, West Coast rap rivalry. I think it's funny.

What if Jim Greco ended up gettin' capped by Bobby Puleo in retaliation for blasting Biebel?!

It's all just street skating, you nimrods. You act like what anyone is doing is so different than what anyone else is doing. It's not.

(well...except for the mad monk, Steve Olson. Now he was on some other shit when he'd roll up into a somersault mid line...that was different...but he's not around anymore)

cold budweisers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2006, 09:44:48 PM »
What if Jim Greco ended up gettin' capped by Bobby Puleo in retaliation for blasting Biebel?!
that nevar happened!!!...did it??

bentmode

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Da$h
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2006, 10:51:17 PM »
daclin looks like a gorilla when he skates.
Han solo blew up the Death Star in Episode 4.  Heard it from a friend.  Reliable source.

paul weller

« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2006, 03:59:39 AM »
austin stephens is really good in my opinion.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2006, 09:40:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
that nevar happened!!!...did it??
Nah, Puleo is too much of a pussy to retaliate. Jim got away scott-free. Biebel will be missed.

roulette

« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2006, 10:18:04 AM »
daclin looks like a gorilla when he skates.
is that bad?

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2006, 11:00:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Nah, Puleo is too much of a pussy to retaliate.
[close]

I guess you haven't seen Ian Reid's Video
Oh I did. He laid an asswhupping on that guy. Don't fuck with Bobby.
Unfortunately, when the gloves are off he couldn't pull the trigger this time and Greco lives on.

mungojerry

« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2006, 05:07:30 PM »

tehmizzark

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 17
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2006, 10:27:28 PM »
enough with the joke threads guys

artichoke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2006, 10:56:50 PM »

There's probably alot of skaters that are Christian but aren't stupid enough to preach about it like Jereme or Hosoi.

Word.

Believe what you want as long as you don't bother me with it, as far as i'm concerned.