Author Topic: Moving to Davis  (Read 3860 times)

JamesNtheGntPch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 38
  • Philadelphia, PA
Moving to Davis
« on: March 11, 2013, 11:36:14 PM »
Hey dudes,

I am moving to Davis in June.  I'll be interning on the university's student farm for the summer. 
Can anyone give me the lowdown on Davis and Sacramento?  And does anyone wanna be my friend?

troy

• Rep: -2
Re: Moving to Davis
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 12:02:12 PM »
whats up homie. Im currently at davis for my 3rd year of undergrad. Its pretty chill here, weather just gets really fucking hot in the summer. Campus has a lot to skate and Sac has the most amazing parks. I'm down to be your friend haha just hit me up!

noone1234

• Rep: -36
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 12:17:44 PM »
i'm from davis. i know all the cutty spots in and around the town let me know what youre looking for and ill hook it up. mather park in rancho cordova is the shit.

JamesNtheGntPch

• Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 07:12:29 PM »
Cool dudes.  I'll shoot you some pm's when I land in a few months.

dillanharp

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 08:28:31 PM »
I'm sorry. I dated a girl who went there a long time ago. That Burgers and Brew place is legit though. I also saw AFI play there 12 years ago.

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -8
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 04:42:57 AM »
One of my professors has offered me to work at UC Davis as a teaching assistant for a year. That would be in 1,5 years right after I graduate. It's still far from being a fix but I'm definitely going to apply for it.

So how's living in Davis apart from what everybody else already said? Are there decent bars around? How about public transport to nearby cities (Sacramento, SF...)? Is it hard to find a room if you're coming from abroad?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 04:49:24 AM by AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice »

cool spot

• Rep: 28
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 06:58:02 AM »
Davis is full of spots! its fucking shocking. we made two skate videos while I was at school there. lots of weirdness in the local community parks and schools, not just campus. there is a park behind arlington where you can drink legally, and it has a hockey rink that no one ever used, so we would bring shit to skate there all the time and bbq and drink beer. Blue spot! i think some people still fuck with it.

also, if you skate campus on the weekends, get ready to meet tons of pros. its cool at first, but then kinda lame when they show up and out gun you every weekend.

JamesNtheGntPch

• Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 09:21:04 PM »
That park sounds nice. 

noone1234

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 09:52:38 PM »
AnotherHardDayAtTheOff, transportation in davis is shit compared to sf. its best to have a car but the amtrak station is downtown and thatll get you to sf in about 2 hours without the traffic and toll, plus when you get out here, if you dont already know, you wont really need a car. i knew some dude who died in a bar in downtown davis. he was in a video that i was in too, he was a cunt so im stoked hes dead. btw the bar is called little prague. also rent in davis compared to sf is fucking tight! pennies compared to sf. village bakery in downtown davis has dank pizza. i used to live next door to the owners of zia's deli in downtown davis which has good sandwiches, and if you dont know some trivial shit, one of the owners is a relative to the owners of guerra meats in sf out in the sunset. blue spot is fun for like 10 minutes if there arent any ramps or boxes there and have no friends(like me; saturday night and im on slap). Cool Spot, are you fillip or whatever the fuck you spell your name?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 10:05:58 PM by noone1234 »

cool spot

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 07:41:13 PM »
AnotherHardDayAtTheOff, transportation in davis is shit compared to sf. its best to have a car but the amtrak station is downtown and thatll get you to sf in about 2 hours without the traffic and toll, plus when you get out here, if you dont already know, you wont really need a car. i knew some dude who died in a bar in downtown davis. he was in a video that i was in too, he was a cunt so im stoked hes dead. btw the bar is called little prague. also rent in davis compared to sf is fucking tight! pennies compared to sf. village bakery in downtown davis has dank pizza. i used to live next door to the owners of zia's deli in downtown davis which has good sandwiches, and if you dont know some trivial shit, one of the owners is a relative to the owners of guerra meats in sf out in the sunset. blue spot is fun for like 10 minutes if there arent any ramps or boxes there and have no friends(like me; saturday night and im on slap). Cool Spot, are you fillip or whatever the fuck you spell your name?

no i'm not fil, but i used to skate with him all the time! who are you? and what video did you make/who died? i used to work at the village bakery when it was all skaters, so fuckin fun.

also for whoever cares, go skate the butthole downtown. its a bridge tunnel wallride thing, that kinda looks like a butthole.

bakedfish

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 10:39:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

no i'm not fil, but i used to skate with him all the time! who are you? and what video did you make/who died? i used to work at the village bakery when it was all skaters, so fuckin fun.

also for whoever cares, go skate the butthole downtown. its a bridge tunnel wallride thing, that kinda looks like a butthole.
right inbetween whole foods and in n out? shits ill! my girl goes to school there so I try to make my way up there to visit/skate as often as i can. there's a really cool spot on campus where Starbucks and Carl's jr and all that shit is. like a ledge to drop sorta thing, perfect for nose bonks and the sort.

noone1234

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 05:57:32 PM »
Cool spot, are you tim? or andrew? or have any connection with DSS? btw village bakery pizza kicks/kicked ass.(havent been back in davis in years) my identity is of no concern to you. Rollie Hull died. and Anthony, are you talking about the silo on campus?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 06:01:59 PM by noone1234 »

bakedfish

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 11:11:00 PM »
Cool spot, are you tim? or andrew? or have any connection with DSS? btw village bakery pizza kicks/kicked ass.(havent been back in davis in years) my identity is of no concern to you. Rollie Hull died. and Anthony, are you talking about the silo on campus?
yup, you know exactly what i'm talking about. i ate shit trying to clear the ledge to flat the last time I was there lol. i wanna go back soon and skate there it's so fun. that campus is awesome.

cool spot

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 05:20:31 AM »

hahahah yeah, mutually declining to share names here.  I was pretty deeply involved with the second round of DSS dudes, made a few skate parts with them! filmed both videos pretty much.

this all makes me wax nostalgic for davis. the campus and town really had a ton of spots for being a weird little college town. not a huge skate scene, but it was fun. I always wished ground zero was way cooler, but they were pretty good about giving stuff away.

JamesNtheGntPch

• Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 11:29:10 PM »
Welp, it's less than a month until I leave Philadelphia.  I'm looking forward to the adventure.

noone1234

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2013, 10:49:26 PM »
philly? have you skated that new paine park? i'd like to make it out there one day.

JamesNtheGntPch

• Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2013, 06:20:23 PM »
I have! It is great.  It has also been super crowded.  I might go later tonight to see if things are calmer so I can skate with some elbow room.

noone1234

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2013, 08:04:11 PM »
i heard they leave the lights on all night. or is that just a rumor.

JamesNtheGntPch

• Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2013, 11:07:38 PM »
Hey noone sorry for the late response, but yea the lights turn on at 7 or 8 and stay on all night.  I have heard that it would just be for the first few weeks though, but that doesn't make much sense to me.  It's a public space in a city.  It needs some lights on it at all times.

noone1234

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2013, 12:20:59 AM »
word. are you in davis yet? i'm fend to be out there this coming weekend, i'd be down to meet up and skate

JamesNtheGntPch

• Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2013, 10:53:51 PM »
Hey guys I got here this past Sunday.  I've checked out the skatepark twice, but I haven't done too much skating besides that.  I'm recovering from some sprained toes and I've been busy settling into work and life here.  I'm actually looking for a part time job in addition to my internship... if anyone has job leads haha. 

Anyway, I was pretty bummed on the skatepark when I first got to it haha.  It's pretty small and what space that there is, is mostly taken over by that terrible snake run. 

Any other opinions of the park or other things?

JamesNtheGntPch

• Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2013, 10:53:42 PM »
So I've been to the park a few more times and it has grown on me.  I still have to scope out campus.

noone1234

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2013, 09:18:26 AM »
that happens to everyone. they knobbed the 7 stair rails though :'(.

cool spot

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2013, 07:40:34 AM »
go skate the community park across the street from the comcast office in south davis. i thinks its called playfields. fun ledge spot, but i was the only person who ever dragged people there.

how's the heat? don't forget to hit up the rec pool and rec pool ledges for the best summer combo of all time.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2013, 05:05:27 PM »
non-skate related, but Davis has a really cool music scene despite being such a small college town.

mostly due to the KDVS radio at UC Davis, which is an amazing college radio station.  my old band played there a few times at some awesome house shows, everybody is super cool, lots of cute girls. 

it's an awesome place considering how small it is.

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2013, 06:19:03 PM »
The Davis skatepark is fun but really badly done, rumor has it when they built it the idiots in charge read the plans wrong and didn't build it to scale, the snake run and bowls should have been a lot bigger.
If you can go to Sacramento for parks, Power Inn, B Street, Mather etc.. also some DIY stuff in West Sacramento ask around to get some info on those and help out if you can.

JamesNtheGntPch

• Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2013, 06:05:08 PM »
Ha I believe the story about the park being built out of scale.

Also, I found the big UC Davis gap. It is nuts!

Soo anyone from Davis wanna give me a ride the next time they hit Sacramento or San Francisco?

noone1234

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2013, 10:57:45 PM »
amtrak or yolo bus breh

JamesNtheGntPch

• Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2013, 12:25:09 AM »
ha alright.

cool spot

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2013, 01:48:59 PM »
don't forget to skate woodland. it has a terrible metal park on a tennis court, but a sorta cool ditch, and that one sorta bump/euro gap spot thats been insanely popular the last couple of years. the banks are fun.