Author Topic: Suicide/Cutting/Self-harm Prevention  (Read 16697 times)

Seamus_McShamebag

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
Re: Suicide Prevention
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2013, 08:45:06 AM »
Let's get down to brass tacks.  You didn't start this thread out of the goodness of your heart.  You started it to promote your "Jesus Saves" website and hotlines.  The "What about God?" thread was a flop so you set your aim a little lower and decided to see what you could you dredge out of a more emotionally vulnerable target. 

Is starting threads on SLAP getting you credit towards some missionary work or something?  Get off your ass and go door to door so that people can at least have the satisfaction of telling you to fuck off in person.  Jesus Fucking Christ did it, so can you.

Simon Woodstock

• Rep: -35
    • Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2013, 10:04:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I called and no one answered...Obviously this is some sort of scam!! Don't worry I won't contact the authorities as long as you give
me a slice of the applepie. Later we can dance and rub each other with sponges, calling out tot he lords above IROSHIABA! Is there anyway I could get your number??
[close]

I just called the line and it is working fine. The nice lady said they have counselors answering phones 24 hrs a day 7 days a week.
[close]

nah man aint workin

The main # is working and is good for general crisis care as well 1-800-273-8255

I also added a faith based option; 24 hr Prayer and Help line 1-800-759-0700

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2013, 10:09:26 AM »
hey simon youre one of my favourite skaters so if theres anyone i wanna tell my problems to its to u. im 19, never been in a relation ship, have no friends, no sex life. i think i have tetanus and lockjaw and anemia. aparently girls think im very attractive butmaybe just cuz i skateboard because i dont know how to hold a conversation other than talk about myself and the boring things ive done. (one time a very nice and attractive girl was giving me 'signs' for a whole month in sumer school but since i cant pick up signs i blew that one). i dont think im gay snce when i see a nice ass i want to have sex with it and try my hardest to avoid rape fantasies. i have a voice inside my head that i rlly wana get rid of since i fear it will soon turn into two voices t hen multiply etc etc. i have an unhealthy obsession with hood culture videos and i think its really making me go insane. i do not watch any educational or uplifting content on youtube, only videos like this
Bloccs Projects & Ent Vol.2 DVD Intro Dedication to the Fallen Soldiers from Vol.1
crips day in brownsville rip lo 6loccs part1..da product dvd
im a huge fan of the editing style and content but
i fear its turning me into an autistic schizo wigger
people have told me i talk 'ghetto' and that concerns me as i was born into a white ffamily (although still poor)
also these are the only videos that bring joy into my life, and if i were to tell anyone i watch this kind of stuff on the daily and enjoy it
they would want nothing to do with me.. anyway
i see mental disorders in my near future and im not doing anything to help that
someone told me yoga is good for ur mind i might try it. but if i were to try the yoga i would have a dissonance with the lifetstyle portrayed in the videos i watch 24/7 and what is actually good for me. i am concerned!

Anytime I'm trippin' I just go out and skate. That's great therapy for the soul. My faith helps me out a lot as well. Go shred and if things ever get too gnar emotionally check out the phone numbers I have listed.

Ccannon

• Rep: -23
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2013, 10:13:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I called and no one answered...Obviously this is some sort of scam!! Don't worry I won't contact the authorities as long as you give
me a slice of the applepie. Later we can dance and rub each other with sponges, calling out tot he lords above IROSHIABA! Is there anyway I could get your number??
[close]

I just called the line and it is working fine. The nice lady said they have counselors answering phones 24 hrs a day 7 days a week.
[close]

nah man aint workin
[close]

The main # is working and is good for general crisis care as well 1-800-273-8255

I also added a faith based option; 24 hr Prayer and Help line 1-800-759-0700

Nah bro still aint working, wtf is going on

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2013, 10:20:33 AM »
Let's get down to brass tacks.� You didn't start this thread out of the goodness of your heart.� You started it to promote your "Jesus Saves" website and hotlines.� The "What about God?" thread was a flop so you set your aim a little lower and decided to see what you could you dredge out of a more emotionally vulnerable target.�

Is starting threads on SLAP getting you credit towards some missionary work or something?� Get off your ass and go door to door so that people can at least have the satisfaction of telling you to fuck off in person.� Jesus Fucking Christ did it, so can you.

That's not my motivation. The main Suicide/Crisis hotline number is non faith based. I added the faith based prayer hotline option if people are interested. Slap Admin Bobby Peru stepped up and offered the help of the Slap Pals from a non-prayer perspective. I personally won't be doing religious debate on this thread. Also, I am receiving no ministry credit for this effort.

If you have any non-faith based help resources to share on here, please do.

Ccannon

• Rep: -23
Re: Suicide Prevention/Crisis Care
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2013, 10:26:56 AM »
Personally I've always thought 1-800-784-2433 was the best call. You get a very professional group of people
that genuinely love to help others and listen. We talk about anything from Jesus to golf. When I get off the phone I realize I am
apart of this world and can make a difference, if we could all just listen to each other we would get the answer. I believe in us and am always here for any of you pals or newbies. We will one day join together in arms and really nail it! Thanks again guys

colin

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2013, 10:31:39 AM »
Years ago, I read a powerful article in The San Francisco Chronicle (I think) that went into detail on several different aspects of committing suicide off the Golden Gate Bridge. The article explained that people survived the jump by hitting the water at an angle so they didn't go too deep into the water; that the impact shredded people's insides- bones, ribs, guts; but that people typically die from drowning because the go so deep into the water; but the part that sticks out in my mind the most is that, almost invariably, survivors report that the split second after they stepped off the bridge they wish they hadn't done it.
What a crazy perspective to have.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2013, 10:34:19 AM »
Expand Quote

Also, the clown is right. Don't kill yourself. Kill OTHER PEOPLE. You'll totally be famous, just like James Holmes or Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris! People will obsess over the music you listened to, the beautiful writing you've probably done, and your awesome paintings that somebody really needs to see. If you survive then you'll end up in jail, where all those problems you had on the outside will be a memory, you'll get free food and health care, and probably a lot of interesting and twisted fan mail.
[close]

YO LETS TRADE! I GOT THE NANDA PINATA BOARD. But really, you're the worst.
Our distaste for eachother is mutual. I'm glad you are running with the fact that you are an ignorant redneck pig on your avatar caption though.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

SheepShagger

« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2013, 12:22:13 PM »
If we have no free will, can it be prevented?

dillanharp

« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2013, 01:21:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Also, the clown is right. Don't kill yourself. Kill OTHER PEOPLE. You'll totally be famous, just like James Holmes or Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris! People will obsess over the music you listened to, the beautiful writing you've probably done, and your awesome paintings that somebody really needs to see. If you survive then you'll end up in jail, where all those problems you had on the outside will be a memory, you'll get free food and health care, and probably a lot of interesting and twisted fan mail.
[close]

YO LETS TRADE! I GOT THE NANDA PINATA BOARD. But really, you're the worst.
[close]
Our distaste for eachother is mutual. I'm glad you are running with the fact that you are an ignorant redneck pig on your avatar caption though.

Cool, let's hang. We'll probably be best pals.

Why haven't you changed yours to "know it all dickhead?"

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2013, 05:01:12 PM »
Because it goes without saying, you fucking idiot.

dillanharp

« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2013, 08:26:23 PM »
Because it goes without saying, you fucking idiot.

;) :D ;D

ROCKxADIO420

« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2013, 09:11:51 PM »
will they or wont they?? :-*

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2013, 09:25:40 PM »
If we have no free will, can it be prevented?
And who says continuing to live in bullshit circumstances even necessarily the right move? Sometimes you'll see a crackhead bum with a head wound begging for change to get seizure medicine and you think, "why bother? What honor is left?"

A.J.K.

« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2013, 10:41:20 PM »
Not gonna lie. I fantasize about killing myself all the time. I think I'm too much of a pussy to actually go through with it, but I'm telling you, if I someone gave me a gun, I don't think I'd be able to resist the impulse to shoot myself. It'd be too easy.

I can't be the only one who finds it really comforting?

I don't plan on killing myself mind you, I just fantasize about it a lot.

I've been getting these kind of feelings more and more lately.  Haven't been stoked on some shit for way too long, and as said above if I miraculously had a gun in one of my more down states it'd be over. 

Also, smokecrack, your posts are more comforting than the original posting.

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2013, 12:47:40 AM »

no matter how bad you think your situation is, know that it can get better.

Manolo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 467
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2013, 02:27:39 AM »

Shredsledder

« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2013, 03:17:13 AM »
And who says continuing to live in bullshit circumstances even necessarily the right move? Sometimes you'll see a crackhead bum with a head wound begging for change to get seizure medicine and you think, "why bother? What honor is left?"

I've been working overnights at a homeless shelter since November, I'm actually working right now. reading this kinda pissed me off but I understand what you're getting at. I've had multiple people threaten to kill themselves while I'm supervising, I've made multiple calls to Crisis and they've always been very helpful. One guy in particular came to mind when I read the quoted post; a dude whose back problems/nerve damage made it impossible to work, for years he's been prescribed opiate-based painkillers, yet one day the doc concludes that he is an addict and no longer gives him meds (happens all the time, especially if you aren't paying a shit ton of $$$ for a private practice or something). So essentially this dude spends every moment of his life in horrible pain (nerve damage is next level badness) for which the only relief is opiates, but the doctors won't give him any so he goes and shoots dope. I remember the night he threatened to end it, I took him outside for a smoke and we were chatting about some shit. The conversation got pretty heavy, then he starts talking about killing himself, I tried to protest and be a voice of "reason". I remember him asking "Look me in the eyes and tell me I have one reason to live." I was completely dumbfounded and had absolutely nothing truly legitimate to say, and it felt like shit.

That dude has moved on from this part of the country, vagabonding about hopefully, I really hope he never did it. I used to get pretty sorry for myself but that ended since I got this job. I may not have gotten laid in a minute but at least I have a place to stay and my youth, I wouldn't say that I am happy but I am starting to gain a little more perspective on why I should value my life.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2013, 08:55:39 AM »
"Those unforgettable days, for them I live."

that quote has kept me around for along time ,

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2013, 09:19:52 AM »
A key principle here is the value of human life. Every person on the earth has great value. Also, every person has the ability to overcome great adversity. It is when the chips are down that this can become very hard and the help of others is needed.

If you are doing good emotionally, reach out to someone who isn't. If you are not doing so good emotionally right now, reach out to those who can help.

mattofallmatts

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -110
  • "I will not skateboard in the halls"
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2013, 10:43:33 AM »

foureyedjim

« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2013, 05:16:27 PM »
jub

he's pretty mediocre, but I always enjoyed watching his parts probably in the same way I liked watching pat rakestraw.  They both had pretty awful styles but it that's what I liked about it hah

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2013, 06:02:43 PM »
On another thought . Is there no situation were suicide is acceptable ? or ok to do ?

Besides ppl who are termanily ill ?

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2013, 06:36:10 PM »
Years ago, I read a powerful article in The San Francisco Chronicle (I think) that went into detail on several different aspects of committing suicide off the Golden Gate Bridge. The article explained that people survived the jump by hitting the water at an angle so they didn't go too deep into the water; that the impact shredded people's insides- bones, ribs, guts; but that people typically die from drowning because the go so deep into the water; but the part that sticks out in my mind the most is that, almost invariably, survivors report that the split second after they stepped off the bridge they wish they hadn't done it.
What a crazy perspective to have.

SheepShagger

« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2013, 08:28:09 PM »
On another thought . Is there no situation were suicide is acceptable ? or ok to do ?

What does the person care if it's acceptable? They'll be dead. 

I can't think of any situation, I mean maybe if you were in solitary confinement for life at a supermax, in a cell 23 hours a day with limited access to reading materials, and the only human contact you have is with the guard who brings your food, I could see then you really have no options.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2013, 09:48:30 PM »
Simon I hope you aren't projecting, offering to help others struggling with this because you want help in your own struggle. All joking about the oddity of this thread appearing aside, I've always loved your skating. Definitely one of a kind shit.

Remember when you fought "sticky fingaz" from Onyx at the mtv profit off of skateboarding fest? I was always hyped you won that fight.

Oh, and I always loved Jub because he came off as extremely stupid and willing to hurt himself in serious ways to make it as a pro. Never particularly talented, but him just rolling off of that ledge in label kills was hillariously awesome. He did some pretty big gaps too. He was like Jaws without all that talent getting in the way of his insanity.

malibu hamish

• Rep: -11
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2013, 09:55:19 PM »
Im no psychologist but if you are thinking about or in the process of trying to kil yourself are you really going to think " oh shit simon had the number that could save me?" I highly doubt it.

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2013, 10:18:15 PM »
Simon I hope you aren't projecting, offering to help others struggling with this because you want help in your own struggle.

Naw, man. I'm doing really well these days. It just got kind of gnar back in 2004-2006 as a bunch of emo baggage caught up with me from a previous young adult life of addiction and so forth. It was weird because I hadn't used any drugs or alcohol since 1997 so I was wondering what the heck was going on. I was having mixed episodes of brutal anxiety and depression. I no longer have such episodes.

There are a lot of specific details of how I recovered, but what made all the difference was that before I even realized that I could get counseling and help in my misery, an old friend I hadn't heard from in a long while sent me an e-mail that simply read "how are you doing?"

I was feeling terrible at the time so I responded with honesty "well, not so good...." and I aired out a lot of my troubles to his open ear. Simply because he cared enough to check in on me, the healing process began on that day. The intention of this thread is to kind of pay that forward and let my skateboarding bretheren know that I care in hopes that people in similar circumstances can turn the corner and get better.

PS. I sucked pretty bad against Sticky. The fight vs. Mike Muir in '96 was the one where I had a little pep in my step (check youtube).
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 10:30:51 PM by Simon Woodstock »

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2013, 11:14:24 PM »
Similar to Jub, Rag Doll tends to destroy himself while killing everything in his path.

Rag Doll - Part Black label " Black Out"

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2013, 01:32:25 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

What does the person care if it's acceptable? They'll be dead. 

Well its more of what that person leaves behind , family , wife / gf , friends and so on . And add to that the people who have to take care of you after .