Author Topic: Set Up not working for you?  (Read 10238 times)

peewee

Re: Set Up not working for you?
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2013, 06:14:03 PM »
So what do you guys do when you have a board you don't like? Do you guys give it away? Keep it stashed away in your room? I orderd a habitat deck and it just felt god awful, fat nose and it's under 31.5 inches. So it's just in my room collecting dust, and I wasted 54 dollars :(

Randozzi

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2013, 06:15:24 PM »
If I'm not feeling a deck I give it to a kid who needs it. Usually make them do a trick to earn it, or something.

Paul Cicero

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -311
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2013, 02:48:30 AM »
If I'm not feeling a deck I give it to a kid who needs it. Usually make them do a trick to earn it, or something.

Thats epic.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65505
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2013, 03:07:37 AM »
I had an alien where the nose was about 1/2 to 1 inch shorter than the tail, though the shape was right for the tail/nose. It was as if someone had mixed the dimensions up. Fucked.

Another friend had a alien or habitat with a heavier nose. The balance was so off.

I usually persevere, try and get used to it and then focus if it still isn't right and I have used it enough.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

eranka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2013, 03:13:49 AM »
So what do you guys do when you have a board you don't like? Do you guys give it away? Keep it stashed away in your room? I orderd a habitat deck and it just felt god awful, fat nose and it's under 31.5 inches. So it's just in my room collecting dust, and I wasted 54 dollars :(
ive been keeping all the boards i skated and liked since my first one, have around 30-40 stashed away.
tons of good memories, i feel really attached to alot of them.. first board, marks from a specific spot, graphics, writings, boards that i skated on trips.. i love having them
but when i have a board i dont like i always give it to someone, i dont keep boards that i dont like and there is always a friend or little kid that would love skating that deck. i actually hate keeping boards i didnt like, cant stand having them and i just want to get rid of them

and for the subject of the thread, yes, i had a few set ups that just felt bad
had a Santa Cruz deck not too long ago that just felt off, maybe it was the wheel base or maybe it was something else but the shape was okay, it just felt weird and i couldnt skate it properly, every trick was a struggle.
had another deck from a local company with a huge nose, tiny tail and it felt "shaky"' cant really explain it but when i was setting my feet for a trick it would feel really unstable
had issues with lakai telfords aswell, felt so wrong, couldnt do anything with them.

right now my set up feels fucking perfect,its a cliche brezinsky 7.8 and i feel so comfortable with it even though its a 2 months old and has no pop left in it, it just feels really good, everything just works even though the pop is gone.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 03:20:54 AM by eranka »

ontheswarm

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2013, 03:34:47 AM »
Sell them for super cheap or give them to the homies who need them.

ontheswarm

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2013, 04:28:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
That's the worst feeling ever; when you spend hard earned money on a deck only to realize it ain't going to work; it's right up there with first day board snaps.
As for what I do, I usually try my hardest to make it work. If I try hard enough I can adapt to any board. But if it's super bad, I usually just give my board to some needy friends. I have two homies who I skate with who don't have jobs and are always low on cash, and they're always riding the worst hand me down setups and they always seem to be in need of boards, so I try to hook them up when I can, just to keep them skating.
I think me and you both had this problem with a certain board. The one I gave to Curtis.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2013, 04:34:06 AM »
That's the worst feeling ever; when you spend hard earned money on a deck only to realize it ain't going to work; it's right up there with first day board snaps.
As for what I do, I usually try my hardest to make it work. If I try hard enough I can adapt to any board. But if it's super bad, I usually just give my board to some needy friends. I have two homies who I skate with who don't have jobs and are always low on cash, and they're always riding the worst hand me down setups and they always seem to be in need of boards, so I try to hook them up when I can, just to keep them skating.

Also, it seems like Alien is getting mentioned quite a bit in this thread. The local shop has an Alien deck and a Krooked deck in my size, and I'm going to be picking up a new deck at the end of the week. I was having a hard time deciding which one to choose, I was leaning more towards the Alien, but now after reading through this thread I'm having second thoughts about buying the Alien deck. Probably best just to stick with ol' reliable (DLX decks).
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 04:37:22 AM by Noble Experiment »

ontheswarm

« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2013, 05:22:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Also, it seems like Alien is getting mentioned quite a bit in this thread. The local shop has an Alien deck and a Krooked deck in my size, and I'm going to be picking up a new deck at the end of the week. I was having a hard time deciding which one to choose, I was leaning more towards the Alien, but now after reading through this thread I'm having second thoughts about buying the Alien deck. Probably best just to stick with ol' reliable (DLX decks).
Yea go with generator wood. The wood is awesome and it doesn't lose it's pop. My girl is losing it's pop but it still feels good.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2013, 05:53:32 AM »
^^^
Hah, my computer was being all laggy so I posted what I wanted to say twice because I thought my post didn't go through the first time, i copied and pasted what I wrote and posted it again. When I found out it went through I decided to delete the first post of the two identical posts, but I did it like right after you quoted me. Now it looks all weird; it looks like you predicted what I was going to say in a quote, ahah.

but yeah Generator wood is the best. Even the pricepoint DLX boards aren't that bad. And Curtis was one of the dudes I was referring to when I was talking about the two friends I have who I'm always giving boards away to.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2013, 10:31:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The one I mentioned was an alien board but my favorite decks ever has been alien or habitats too. Its just that they put out some different shapes every now and then that are kinda "extreme", like super flat or super deep with super big nose or tail or small.. So I guess you'll either love them or hate them. DLX is more just mellow.. Theyre kinda vanilla, everyone thinks its good and its a safe bet.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2013, 11:11:59 AM »
A kid in my neighborhood who quit skating gave me his set up years back. I only wanted the deck, but he didn't want to take it apart. So I had some basically brand new Destructos that sat in my trunk until I gave them to some kid who fucked up his trucks.

Pango

• Rep: -30
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2013, 11:25:18 AM »
I had an MJ chocolate deck with a lemonade bottle graphic. It was the only board I have ever #focused

I had the Pops board in that same series, yeah that thing was piece of shit

swagdragon123

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -105
  • I take my internet usernames xtremly serious
    • HOBOHOGAN avatar image
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2013, 03:09:05 PM »
Expand Quote
I had an MJ chocolate deck with a lemonade bottle graphic. It was the only board I have ever #focused
[close]

I had the Pops board in that same series, yeah that thing was piece of shit
thank you! it was flat and had a weird shape, I could not tre flip for my life on that board!

peewee

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2013, 03:16:01 PM »
ive seen on here people saying that they love girl/chocolate decks and i really dont get why, they are super flat, have a huge nose, and have pretty small tails, i don't get it

nylin

« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2013, 04:32:23 PM »
ive seen on here people saying that they love girl/chocolate decks and i really dont get why, they are super flat, have a huge nose, and have pretty small tails, i don't get it

The huge nose won me over many years ago.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2013, 11:19:10 PM »
There have been some pretty memorable ones for me...
First, I love baker, the team, all that shit, but no matter how many I've had, I just don't like them, only had the blitz ones though.

Definitely any alien deck I've ever had, weirdest, most uncomfortable shapes.

About a year ago I tried out a real for the first time, it was the 8.06 shape, easily one of the worst boards I've had.

Indy lows, actually any low truck I've ever had.

And most recently trucks, bought those new thunder titanium light, 147 hi's, and I just can't get used to them, the stock bushings are weird, and when I put bones mediums in them, they turn all tight, which I don't get at all, because they turn a little too loose on indy's, idk I think it's cause I've been riding indy's for as long as I can remember.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

dillanharp

« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2013, 11:37:01 PM »
Expand Quote
BUY YOUR SHIT AT A LOCAL SHOP, STAND ON IT PRIOR TO PURCHASE, PROBLEM SOLVED. FOR FUCKS SAKE....
[close]
Are you fucking retarted? Yes standing on the board prior to purchase does help to getting used to the board but no two boards are the same and the board is still going to feel strange once you set up the board. Just standing on it wont give you the feel or rolling around it.

Yea I'm a big ol retart... You can tell if you like the concave, you can tell if the tail is going to be shitty for you, if the nose is too big/small.... What the fuck? have you ever actually purchased a skateboard?

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2013, 12:27:44 AM »
I dont know, I actually like trying new shapes. If it doesnt work, I make it work. As long as its 8,5, its ok.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -311
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2013, 01:12:57 AM »
I love Workshop as a company, but will never buy one.
Same for enjoi.

Cameron Hoegee

« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2013, 06:47:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
BUY YOUR SHIT AT A LOCAL SHOP, STAND ON IT PRIOR TO PURCHASE, PROBLEM SOLVED. FOR FUCKS SAKE....
[close]
Are you fucking retarted? Yes standing on the board prior to purchase does help to getting used to the board but no two boards are the same and the board is still going to feel strange once you set up the board. Just standing on it wont give you the feel or rolling around it.
[close]

Yea I'm a big ol retart... You can tell if you like the concave, you can tell if the tail is going to be shitty for you, if the nose is too big/small.... What the fuck? have you ever actually purchased a skateboard?
I understand what it is you are trying to say but you can stand on the board all you want in the shop, yeah it will help but even when you set up the board it's still going to feel a little different. You will never get the same feel just standing in the shop as you will actually skating the board.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2013, 07:21:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
I understand what it is you are trying to say but you can stand on the board all you want in the shop, yeah it will help but even when you set up the board it's still going to feel a little different. You will never get the same feel just standing in the shop as you will actually skating the board.
i'll add that i don't like to stand on a brand new deck that i won't buy and i don't like the idea that someone stood on the one i bought

ontheswarm

« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2013, 11:00:23 AM »
There have been some pretty memorable ones for me...
First, I love baker, the team, all that shit, but no matter how many I've had, I just don't like them, only had the blitz ones though.

Definitely any alien deck I've ever had, weirdest, most uncomfortable shapes.

About a year ago I tried out a real for the first time, it was the 8.06 shape, easily one of the worst boards I've had.

And most recently trucks, bought those new thunder titanium light, 147 hi's, and I just can't get used to them, the stock bushings are weird, and when I put bones mediums in them, they turn all tight, which I don't get at all, because they turn a little too loose on indy's, idk I think it's cause I've been riding indy's for as long as I can remember.
Same here. Mine felt like it was a 7.75. It felt so weird to do flip tricks or anything. I gave it to a homie the next day after putting it on.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2013, 03:52:26 PM »
This.
Had a set of Venture lows one time, the Janoski pro model ones that were in dark red. I couldn't stand the way they felt.

Also, if we're venturing away from boards and talking about other products that just didn't work, here's a few worth mentioning:

Had a set of STFs in the v2 shape (the shape where the edges of the wheels are flattened out so it allows you to lock into grinds better) and the bearings would not stay in the wheel worth a shit. Everytime I would land primo the bearings would pop out. I would have to re-pop my bearings back in a couple times a session. It got super annoying.

Had a pair of Reynolds Cruisers once and I just didn't like the way they skated. Felt weird. Same goes for a pair of Fortes I had too. They just felt weird to skate in.

Had two sets of Indy abec 7's where the cages for the bearings would break one by one after only a month or two of skating, and I don't skate big shit and usually my bearings will last me forever. Fast bearings, but not durable at all.

Remember when Jessup had all those bad batches of grip out? Where the edges would peel and chip away, leaving these weird white crack marks? That shit was the worst. Turned me away from Jessup for the longest time. Had a few sheets since then though and the quality is back to normal. Still though, that shit had me turning my head the other way on Jessup for a good couple of years.

wallieD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2013, 04:42:51 PM »
ok. so i can kcikflip on a chocolate board but not on a girl? they r the same wood lol so like i just dont get it, crazie

zoltan

« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2013, 08:15:12 PM »
Ever had a set up that just plain isn't working for you?
I'm skating one right now, Alien deck, and Vans old schools.

It's just not happening.

haha im skating this right now and the old skools feel a little loose on my feet but still great. cant beat an aws deck

zoltan

« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2013, 08:21:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

actually every company makes a few different shapes and just print different graphics. find the board you like and keep buying that same size from that company and it should always be the same. ive been skating AWS 8.25 x 31.75 for a couple years and the graphics are different but the shape/concave is the exact same as long as i buy that exact size from aws. the same should go for any other company, just make sure its the same width and length because they might make multiple 8" or 8.25" boards with different lengths and the shapes will be different

A.J.K.

« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2013, 08:23:33 PM »
Am I the only one here who doesn't give a fuck about shape or concave?  As long as the board is between 8.00 and 8.25 and not ridiculously short i'm satisfied.

zoltan

« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2013, 08:27:56 PM »
Am I the only one here who doesn't give a fuck about shape or concave?  As long as the board is between 8.00 and 8.25 and not ridiculously short i'm satisfied.

yeah im generally good with any 8.25 but now that i figure i can buy the exact same deck, i might as well. i figure i would skate the best if every board is the same. keep your flip tricks more consistent

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2013, 08:41:03 PM »

I'm with you. But if you get a deck that's warped cause it was defective or whatever, it'll fuck yo flow up