Author Topic: Set Up not working for you?  (Read 10251 times)

Paul Cicero

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -302
Set Up not working for you?
« on: March 19, 2013, 03:19:51 AM »
Ever had a set up that just plain isn't working for you?
I'm skating one right now, Alien deck, and Vans old schools.

It's just not happening.

Sondor

• Rep: 60
Re: Set Up not working for you?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 03:35:28 AM »
Once I had a habitat deck with fucking big concave
It was pain in the ass even to flick a flip

Leo Chumack

• Rep: 8
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 03:56:54 AM »
I remember skating the Jake Johnson Pro Model debut board and that thing was insane. It said it was an 8.5 but it felt wider, it had the most concave out of any board I've ever skated, also, the nose and tail were very steep so I would constantly eat shit because I had to smack the tail down way harder just to ollie. So sometimes alien shapes end up being really crazy, if you like a lot of concave, and a steep nose/tail, then Alien/Habitat boards are the right board for you. Also, I really like the Old Skool's recently released, but one time I got a pair that were lying around my shop for a few years, they were super old. I think the rubber on them expired because they felt really stiff and hurt my feet. I compared them to recent Old Skool's I've skated in and they said they were made in Vietnam as opposed to China. Maybe that's the issue?
Anyways, I'm super picky about my set-ups also and I hate buying all new shit and then not having it work out for me. Best of luck to you sir.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 04:26:09 AM »
Just happened to me recently. I had a Heroin board, couldn't do a single thing on it due to that terrible Baker shape. Plus some Adidas Campuses which felt like bricks on my feet.

Once I find something that works really well, I try sticking with it. I've got 5 Roger boards all the same size and 5 pairs of the same shoes ready to be skated. I hate getting used to different stuff now.

I'll never buy another pair of shoes that aren't emericas.

Glad to see that this has happened to other SLAP heads.. I left the park today out of embarrassment of how
much I was stinking it up!

Just gonna stick to what I know.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 05:04:19 AM »
Once I find something that works really well, I try sticking with it.

Loyal Pawn

• Rep: 7
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 05:15:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Once I find something that works really well, I try sticking with it.
[close]

Ive been riding a 8.5x32.33 with a 14'' wheelbase for the last 7 years.havent looked back.

october

• Rep: 23
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 05:34:46 AM »
I've skated some shitty boards, but if you have a set-up that you cant do anything on, I seriously doubt it's the board.

Morty Seinfeld

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 07:26:44 AM »
Polar boards. Flattest pieces of shit I've ever skated.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 07:33:08 AM »
haven't they fixed that with bareback/generator new series?

hornyrick

• Rep: -5
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 07:39:50 AM »
had two toymachine boards that i absolutely hated! cant understand how anyone could enjoy those flat soggy pieces of shit. i actually get worked up just thinking about them

foureyedjim

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 07:43:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don't know which one's you're referring to, but the regular shaped polar I had was suuuuper flat
When in doubt, I would go for the p3 shape instead for polar (square-ish tail)

october

• Rep: 23
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 08:12:13 AM »
Who pressed Polar before?

I didnt know they went to BB/Generator.

NoMoreParkFootagePlease

• Rep: -1
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 08:13:29 AM »
Always had a problem with the old Baker Boards haven't bought one from the new distributor yet.

ontheswarm

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 08:14:47 AM »
Actually just recently. Had a brand new real board that had same nose same tail. It felt so weird to me. I thought I was the only one till a homie stood on it and said the same thing.

Ollie Ringwald

• Rep: -3
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 11:29:14 AM »
Once I find something that works really well I try sticking with it.

It's mostly in your mind I think but this. And only skating one new thing at a time.

Morty Seinfeld

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2013, 12:45:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I don't know which one's you're referring to, but the regular shaped polar I had was suuuuper flat

The boards I had that were so bad were the generator ones. The ones pressed MDCN were great in comparison, too bad only one round of those boards made it to the US. I wish they'd make those boards a bit steeper, preferably very similar to Magenta boards. Also I'd be stoked if their graphics weren't mostly drawings of people getting killed.

Kinch

• Rep: 10
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2013, 01:13:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Once I find something that works really well I try sticking with it.
[close]

It's mostly in your mind I think but this. And only skating one new thing at a time.

For sure, I hate changing more than one thing in one go, feels so weird.
I recently had a local shop board that was super long, fully an inch and a half longer than the board I had had before it. I could barely skate the damn thing.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2013, 02:33:17 PM »
I've skated some shitty boards, but if you have a set-up that you cant do anything on, I seriously doubt it's the board.

Cheers Lad.

I guess the best example would be "go to" tricks not working
how they usually do.

hornyrick

• Rep: -5
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2013, 04:09:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

The boards I had that were so bad were the generator ones. The ones pressed MDCN were great in comparison, too bad only one round of those boards made it to the US. I wish they'd make those boards a bit steeper, preferably very similar to Magenta boards. Also I'd be stoked if their graphics weren't mostly drawings of people getting killed.
for real though on the graphics part, the first couple graphics were awesome with wizards, trolls, and what not. I like some if the other ones with the obese women also but all this scooters being impaled shit sucks, we get it nobody likes scooters. Are they trying to make a point even further than that? Or is it just lack of creativity.

Cameron Hoegee

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2013, 04:17:31 PM »
I had the Creature Bingaman P2 board the tail was way to fucking small I couldn't deal with it and gave it to a kid in need at the park. It even felt smaller than a regular 8.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2013, 05:01:02 PM »
Bought a shop deck from Pharmacy years ago and I just couldn't make shit work on it. The shape on it wasn't even THAT bad, but I just couldn't make it work.

Will Easley

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2013, 09:02:57 PM »
Never had any memorable "bad setups". I like to think that i have a board preference but i seem to do equally well on any kind of deck/concave after about 10-15 minutes of getting used to it. I've literally skated just about every kind of major brand deck & while the durability may differ i seem to skate more or less the same. I really like to pop my tricks so I used to act like i was against flatter boards but i skated a pretty low concave toy machine & it seemed to be one of the better boards ive skated.

I once had to go from an 8.5 to a 7.5 when i snapped a board & while that took me about 20 minutes to get used to i ended up liking how much easier it was to flick for the time being. regular 8's still seem to be that sweet spot for me tho. i dunno i grew up skating the most random shit without knowing what the fuck i was doing so alot of those things dont really affect me like that now. defintely cant skate thin ass vulc shoes tho, my feet feel too small

swagdragon123

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -105
  • I take my internet usernames xtremly serious
    • HOBOHOGAN avatar image
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2013, 09:17:45 PM »
I had an MJ chocolate deck with a lemonade bottle graphic. It was the only board I have ever #focused

dillanharp

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2013, 09:23:32 PM »
BUY YOUR SHIT AT A LOCAL SHOP, STAND ON IT PRIOR TO PURCHASE, PROBLEM SOLVED. FOR FUCKS SAKE....

scorpion1001

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
  • All Hail Carroll
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2013, 09:45:22 PM »
i have nike salazar LRs that i have no choice but to wear as regular walking shoes because the day i tried skating them, the half inch or so of space between my toe and the end of my foot basically ruined my flick and mood for that session.  never again am i going to skate a pair of shoes if they don't feel 100% fully fitted around my foot.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1957
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2013, 12:16:52 PM »
Years ago I got one of those Foundation fiberlam boards The size was mislabeled, so it was already uncomfortable to start, but those fiberlam boards felt like total shit. Flexed like no other. I was actually happy when I broke it on a four stair a week later. I also have a pair of the Slap Campus Vulcs, and although I love to wear them, they're a bit too high for me to skate in.

Schismatic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2013, 01:08:30 PM »
Ever had a set up that just plain isn't working for you?
I'm skating one right now, Alien deck, and Vans old schools.

It's just not happening.
It's the shoes man, it's the shoes.
I always thought Vans old schools were shitty for skating. They have the non-removable insole that gives no protection, and they're paper thin all around, no ankle or tongue padding, its just a layer of canvas. I don't see why people skate in them when there's stuff like TNT 5's that have a similar look and actually feel like skate shoes when you put them on. For Vans, the SK8-Mid Pro's are actually solid feeling. I'm going to stick with the re-issued OG Rowley's until every possible source is sold out, then probably go back to Half-Cab Pro's. I understand why people don't like the feel of Vans, but I don't jump down big shit anymore and love how they feel for skating tranny and small street. I always get them 1/2 size big and add an extra insole though. The PU3 insole with a worn down Dr Scholls and vulc soles is my perfect combo of fit, feel, and protection.

Old schools will definitely throw everything off, unless you're used to skating in chuck taylor's or slip-on's, which have about the same amount of padding. Change your shoes and all might be right with the world.

My only setup complaint at the moment is that I recently started wishing my board was wider so started to hyperfocus on it but I already ride 8.5's. Thinking 8.75 would be better but in the meantime it's messing with me a little bit mentally, not to the point where it effects skating though.

Cameron Hoegee

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2013, 01:30:35 PM »
BUY YOUR SHIT AT A LOCAL SHOP, STAND ON IT PRIOR TO PURCHASE, PROBLEM SOLVED. FOR FUCKS SAKE....
Are you fucking retarted? Yes standing on the board prior to purchase does help to getting used to the board but no two boards are the same and the board is still going to feel strange once you set up the board. Just standing on it wont give you the feel or rolling around it.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2013, 01:59:45 PM »
This fall I had this alien board and some dunks, and it felt like my shoes were taking up the whole board even though it was an 8.25 like I always skate, it felt super off. I had to switch out the deck right away

fookya

• Rep: -12
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2013, 05:12:13 PM »
I setup a habitat board this fall after 3 years of riding strictly dlx boards. I rode it for about 4 days and took it apart. the nose was so steep I felt like someone was holding my foot back when I tried to do flips.