Author Topic: Istanbul & Munich  (Read 665 times)

InternetDaddy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
Istanbul & Munich
« on: March 19, 2013, 09:01:04 PM »
so my gf and i are gonna be in Istanbul & Munich from May 15-25. Can't remember the exact number of days in each place right now, but about equal between the two. Since it's a trip with the gf I won't be bringing a board, but I was wondering if anyone had any protips on stuff to do/see. Looking for good and relatively cheap restaurants/bars, cool things to see or do, etc. Also if anyone knows any skateshops in Munich I'd be interested in stopping in and grabbing a shop deck or something as a skate souvenir. Also, we're both pretty interested in seeing Berlin, but we're flying into and out of Munich. I was on bahn.de and it looked like round trip tickets were fairly pricey. Is there an alternative? Would it be cheaper buying tickets in advance, or is there not really a price difference? I've never been to Turkey or Germany (or even Europe for that matter) so I'm stoked!
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

dillanharp

Re: Istanbul & Munich
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 09:25:55 PM »
I was in Istanbul in 05.... They wouldn't let Americans off the plane because they would probably get murdered and flew us to Frankfurt. Enjoy your stay.

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 11:37:42 PM »
Just was in istanbul in august '12. Whoa... its congested. i am sure that if you find the right people you could find some killer spots. I felt that they were out there. I was on a tour bus that continuously drove past a big plaza near a bridge that I saw spanky and westgate skating in a skateboard mag article. Near the derinisk(sp?) there are spots, curved benches, some manuals... Check this......http://www.skhateyou.com/spots/istanbul/istanbul.html.

I imagine, like any city, if you explore, you will find stuff. Good luck. drink an Efes for me...

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -8
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 06:00:28 AM »
For some strange reason, in Germany domestic high-speed train tickets are usually way more expensive than international ones (Paris, Prague).

I personally don't like Munich at all. I would agree that going to Berlin sounds like a way better idea. If you're on a budget you're still left with several option: on weekend days (i.e. Saturday/Sunday) you can buy special weekend-tickets ("Schoenes-Wochenende-Ticket") which allows you to take as much regional transport as you like and costs around 30 Euros for 2 persons. Kicker is that it will probably take you around 9-10 hours to get from Munich to Berlin and vice versa... Another option would be car sharing. There are several sites on the internet on which you can get in touch with people going a certain route. You usually pay around 5 Euros per 100 km per Person which ain't too bad.

However, keep in mind that Berlin and Munich are not close at all. Travelling in between both places will certainly not be cheap and will be very time-consuming either way. Now that I think of it you may consider staying in Munich and doing daytrips to nearby places (Dachau, Alps, Austria, maybe even Prague).

HeavyweightLurker

• Rep: -31
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 03:58:27 PM »
both city are great!!!
Istanbul is the gate between asia and europe - you become a culture shock!
Its so big, and so much thing happen there, the turkish people from istanbul are
open mindet and pretty european - enjoy your time. But my last visit is 4 Years ago.

Munich - i am there business wise from time to time.
you have two real skateshops there
http://shrn-munich.tumblr.com/ is a cool one.
http://www.boneless-muenchen.de/ it looks a little strange on the first view because they make a lot of money with
longbards and cruiser board at this shop but the owner (and his wife) are cool as fuck.
they build a "secret" DIY concrete in his basement.

around the corner of the "shrn" skateshop is the "gaertner platz" a nice place to drink a beer in the evening
and the Robinson Kuhlmann Bar at Corneliusstra?e 14, the place to get drunk right now in munich,
the owner of the bar, Robinson, and part owner of SHRN is an OG Munich Skate Local.

also around that corner is the "Glockenbachwerkstatt", in the "Blumenstr. 7" its an alternativ culture center, but on wednesday
there is blues&fish - free entrance - some live music and a cheap and good fish dish!

there is a big concrete Skatepark called "Hirschgarten" its nice for a visit because it looks cool and is beside the hirschgarten park, and
the hirschgarten beergarden, the biggest beergarden - i think in the world.

munich is expensiv if you are in the touristic center - look for an place to sleep just 1- 2 km outside of the center - anything is quite chaper dinning ect. and rent a bike - you can do munich by bike perfectly.
http://www.mikesbiketours.com he is american, you can rent a bike and you can book a tour.

check out the classic touristic things like china tower in the "englischen garten", olympia park, isar - the museums quarier with "pinakotek of the modern, old pinakotek and new pinakotek and collection brandhorst - its in the near of the "t?rkenstr". also nice to eat something and have good time with your girl.
if you want it a litte fancy beside the englischer garten (biggest park in munich) is the hofreitschule a riding school with an cafe in it.
and under that cafe is an greek restaurant Cavos Taverna, difficult to get an table you need an reservations for an evening
from Thursday to Saterday but they start a party right after dinner. The food isnt that expansive, but all the beautyfull people and the
soccerstars go there.

But cheap and allways good are the typical brewerys with cheap and good bavarian food and beer. (OUTSIDE OF THE CENTER)
Inside the quality is ok too - but the price is different- if you need to eat something in the center go to an beergarten or the
student area - near the museums quartier again.

Dont forget drinking beer in the public is allowed and welcome! cheapest consuming good in munich.

If you only stay 4-5 Days in munich enjoy your time there - its stupid to drive through whole germany to visit berlin.
For sure Berlin is the place to be right now in Germany - but like Istanbul its fucking big you can stay there for weeks.
And if you only stay for 2 day you only met people from america and north europe, who all visit the sames places in berlin.

take your time for munich and relax,  go to the alpes and visit some of the lakes in the south of munich for a day trip.
You can rent a car just for one day - its only a 1 hour ride by car you can go to murnau at the staffelsee
garmisch or kochel or walchenlake and you are in the middle of the alpes.
the alpes are great for a view or a walk, almost as impressive as the Rocky mountains.
And the lakes are great for a swim, super clean and you dont belief its just 60km from the city.
you can do it with the train and your bike too!

if you find a cheap hotel over www.hrs.com and you have no fancy wellness area go for a swim with your girl
to the "M?ller?sches Volksbad" http://www.swm.de/privatkunden/m-baeder/schwimmen/hallenbaeder/volksbad.html
a public and beautiful Art Nouveau swimming hall.

enjoy your trip.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 04:02:54 PM by HeavyweightLurker »