Stretch before a session?

Always
13 (48.1%)
Never
3 (11.1%)
Sometimes
11 (40.7%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Ankle Strengthening/ Stretching  (Read 6017 times)

Reed Frisch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -8
Ankle Strengthening/ Stretching
« on: April 04, 2013, 07:32:10 PM »
Hey Slap Pals I was wondering of exercises and workouts to strengthen your ankle muscle and decrease the risks of sprains and rolls when skating. Also what's your view of stretching before a session, yeah or nah

The Human Condom

• Rep: 45
  • Free condoms! Free condoms from The Human Condom.
    • : /skeɪt/ avatar image
Re: Ankle Strengthening/ Stretching
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 07:44:53 PM »
Rotate ankles clockwise and counter clockwise.  Trace the alphabet with your feet. 

Invest in one of these.  It's good for strengthening and stabilizing your ankle.  It helps with balance as well.
Bicycling and swimming are good for joints and legs.  I almost always skip rope and stretch before skating.
Can't skate without ankle braces either.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 03:24:04 AM »
^ Seriously, that balance plate. Just 10 minutes as often as you can (preferably every day) will work wonders. Its worth it.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 05:27:17 AM »
you have to stretch after too, but i don't everytimes cause i'm lazy

Merked

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -157
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 06:25:54 AM »
Rotate ankles clockwise and counter clockwise.  Trace the alphabet with your feet. 

Invest in one of these.  It's good for strengthening and stabilizing your ankle.  It helps with balance as well.
Bicycling and swimming are good for joints and legs.  I almost always skip rope and stretch before skating.

Never seen these before.  Where would I go about buying them?
I suck at SLAP.

6 pac

• Rep: -5
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 06:34:58 AM »
i have big ankle problems, i rolled my left ankle a couple times and on my right foot i fucked up my intraarticular ligament.
really want to invest in one of those balance plates

finecojeffe

• Rep: 126
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 07:32:45 AM »
I do an exercise, but not sure of its name. You stand on one foot and with the opposite arm you reach down as far in front of you as possible and touch the floor, then stand back up. I do about 15 in a down then switch feet. When doing it, I never put my lifted foot on the floor until the full set is finished. It seems to work pretty well. I hurt my ankle badly enough that I could skate for a few years (rolled, torn, and bounced the bone off cement in 2001.) I still feel like I have a sprained ankle from time to time...little things cause so much pain. That exercise allows all the muscles to work as hard as they can to retain balance. It strengthens them a lot. I suppose using one of those balance board things and doing the same exercise would be even better, but I actually worry I would roll it again just based on the problems I have with my ankle. I'll probably get one to just balance on though and maybe work up to the former.

Reed Frisch

• Rep: -8
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 07:49:23 AM »

Thanks everyone for the responses, but what is the balanced plate called and exactly how much do they cost?

raunchyrick

• Rep: 36
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 09:38:54 AM »
I do exercises at work - I work in an office so I just lift my right leg up and rotate my ankle around over and over again and do it the other way. Seems to be working, I just got off my ankle brace and I can skate and do flip tricks without the pain coming back to haunt me *knock on wood*

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 11:18:49 PM »
I do an exercise, but not sure of its name. You stand on one foot and with the opposite arm you reach down as far in front of you as possible and touch the floor, then stand back up. I do about 15 in a down then switch feet. When doing it, I never put my lifted foot on the floor until the full set is finished. It seems to work pretty well. I hurt my ankle badly enough that I could skate for a few years (rolled, torn, and bounced the bone off cement in 2001.) I still feel like I have a sprained ankle from time to time...little things cause so much pain. That exercise allows all the muscles to work as hard as they can to retain balance. It strengthens them a lot. I suppose using one of those balance board things and doing the same exercise would be even better, but I actually worry I would roll it again just based on the problems I have with my ankle. I'll probably get one to just balance on though and maybe work up to the former.

Stand on a pillow....do it with you eyes closed....

I think the rule of thumb is warm up pre skating.....stretch after....

Calf rises are good too.....

Random Matt

• Rep: 8
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 12:13:34 PM »
When I'm standing in place like waiting in line, I'll fold my ankle so my sole is upright (kind of how your front foot looks during an ollie) and put most of my weight on it.  The more often you do this the more limber your ankle will get.  I've been doing this for well over a decade and whenever fold my ankle skating it feels fine after ten minutes.

otzzo

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 11:24:34 AM »
Balance board is the best thing to use strengthening your ankles( about 10 min per day). Also just doing couple of jumps and little rotations to your ankles before skate sessions are worked for me. I only do quick warm up streches before going to skate and I prefer good streching on evening/after skating

skateboardnorth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 11:45:01 AM »
Just google ankle strengthening exercises.  There are a bunch that really helped me out.  There are also foods that can be introduced into your diet that are known to reduce swelling in the joints.

alcol

• Rep: 2
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 12:20:20 PM »
Does anyone use those foam rollers to stretch? I've seen Reynolds and some other pros using them...

Need to get my stretching game going after not skating for more than 6 months (mostly due to shitty euro weather)
I'm a be on here until niggas start posting about my celebrity-skateboarder lifestyle exploits ala Lil Wayne.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 11:05:25 PM »
Yep...won't do anything for your ankles....but calves... Achilles....it can help....super good or IT band...

cringe.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 414
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2013, 03:40:03 AM »
go round kicking evry nerd you see in their butthole

Not the true story

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2013, 07:58:09 AM »
Does anyone use those foam rollers to stretch? I've seen Reynolds and some other pros using them...

Need to get my stretching game going after not skating for more than 6 months (mostly due to shitty euro weather)

Nerd jogging knowledge coming at ya:
"Foam rollers" do help if stretching doesn't. In my experience it's good when your muscles aren't to tight in any particular direction but more stiff, painful and slow-reacting in general. After running my calves usually feels like one big bruise and rolling with your bodyweight on top of something seems to help release muscle-knots and increase blod-flow or whatever. Anyway, less pain.
I don't think it will make muscles recover faster from fatigue and i can't imaging needing it after skateboarding, but then again I ain't bs-flipping wallenberg.
Fuck buying a branded "foam-roller" for money though, just ask for/steal a pvc pipe from a construction site. The harder the thing you're rolling on, the more effect it'll probably have.

Main topic: When my ankles feels worked i do these kind of toe-lifts (1:00), not so much training as just getting your feet back into position after being pounded from the ground:

(Warning if you're a bitch and grossed out by dudes feet)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vZVq3ov914

On last tip: If you are running/jogging, try adopting the new "forefoot-natural-minimal-granola" way of running. It will force the foot and calves muscles to work more and i think it's a way more effective way of training ankles and feet than balance boards. I used to have really bad problems with flat feet and they are pretty much gone now.  Be careful though cause it will destroy your calves (aforementioned foam-rolling) and can lead to achilles injuries. But i would still trade ligament pain for muscle pain any day.

Wow i'm a nerd. Raw fruit diet anyone...? :-[

b.v.

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 10:00:50 AM »
The exercise is only one part of healthy ankles.
Diet is really important.
Lean protein builds muscle,staying hydrated keeps them limber.
Sorry to go all jock but I hear a lot about strengthening and people forget that there are many ways to prevent these injuries.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2013, 11:43:40 AM »
I started doing long distance swims with fins and a paddle board so only my legs/feet propel  me.

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • beer
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2013, 05:58:49 PM »
ive had positive results with high quality glucosamine supplements

EAT PUSSY!

• Rep: 29
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2013, 06:45:02 AM »

Cameron Hoegee

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2013, 05:31:40 PM »
I also find taking fish oil tablets helps out a whole bunch, my ankles don't crack as often and flick easier when I'm skating because of them.

EPetrov

• Rep: -30
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2013, 09:29:07 PM »
My right ankle hates me, and I it.

otis shredding

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2013, 11:02:08 AM »
kind of related side question, i just recently tried skating for the first time after around 5-6 weeks of doing physical therapy for a broken ankle, and its my back ankle so my pop and pushing is very weak. my question is after a serious ankle injury that you guys have had (breaks/tears) about how long did it take before you felt you were at the same level of skating you were at before the injury?

EPetrov

• Rep: -30
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2013, 11:19:45 AM »
never. The good one feels solid, but the bad is totally different and much larger. I feel like I have a ticking time bomb.

alcol

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2013, 11:51:10 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Nerd jogging knowledge coming at ya:
"Foam rollers" do help if stretching doesn't. In my experience it's good when your muscles aren't to tight in any particular direction but more stiff, painful and slow-reacting in general. After running my calves usually feels like one big bruise and rolling with your bodyweight on top of something seems to help release muscle-knots and increase blod-flow or whatever. Anyway, less pain.
I don't think it will make muscles recover faster from fatigue and i can't imaging needing it after skateboarding, but then again I ain't bs-flipping wallenberg.
Fuck buying a branded "foam-roller" for money though, just ask for/steal a pvc pipe from a construction site. The harder the thing you're rolling on, the more effect it'll probably have.

Main topic: When my ankles feels worked i do these kind of toe-lifts (1:00), not so much training as just getting your feet back into position after being pounded from the ground:

(Warning if you're a bitch and grossed out by dudes feet)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vZVq3ov914

On last tip: If you are running/jogging, try adopting the new "forefoot-natural-minimal-granola" way of running. It will force the foot and calves muscles to work more and i think it's a way more effective way of training ankles and feet than balance boards. I used to have really bad problems with flat feet and they are pretty much gone now.  Be careful though cause it will destroy your calves (aforementioned foam-rolling) and can lead to achilles injuries. But i would still trade ligament pain for muscle pain any day.

Wow i'm a nerd. Raw fruit diet anyone...? :-[

Thanks for the advice! I'm gonna try doing those toe lifts and avoid those foam-rollers for the moment....I really need to strengthen my legs before getting back on my board...
I'm a be on here until niggas start posting about my celebrity-skateboarder lifestyle exploits ala Lil Wayne.

The Human Condom

• Rep: 45
  • Free condoms! Free condoms from The Human Condom.
    • : /skeɪt/ avatar image
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2013, 10:29:50 PM »
kind of related side question, i just recently tried skating for the first time after around 5-6 weeks of doing physical therapy for a broken ankle, and its my back ankle so my pop and pushing is very weak. my question is after a serious ankle injury that you guys have had (breaks/tears) about how long did it take before you felt you were at the same level of skating you were at before the injury?

I've been in a similar situation.  I'm goofy footed and broke my left ankle.  I needed to have two surgeries on it.  A screw was inserted in the middle of spring and removed at the end of that summer.  I regret not continuing physical therapy for more than a couple sessions.  I didn't skate for a few months afterwards and got really depressed.  I couldn't leave it behind and really decided that I love skateboarding and I'm in it for the long haul.  I rededicated myself the following spring and just went and skated a lot of transition.   I definitely took more than a year before I was comfortable again.  I think it was maybe a couple years afterward when my confidence returned.
It'll have been four years this May since the injury.  I've improved considerably and my pop has even increased.  I'm less afraid and better than before.
Just be tender and keep longevity in mind.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2013, 07:32:03 AM »

6 months to a year.....

I just skated a bit more tranny during that time.....

SecretShake

• Rep: -1
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2013, 10:27:50 AM »
I rolled my pushing ankle in a really weird way almost 3 months ago, the top and the medial side of my ankle was the worst and I couldn't squat/land tricks without being in a lot of pain, anyway I got really pissed off on how long it was taking to heal and thought I may of done something worse, like fracture it or an impingement, but two weeks ago I bought some resistance bands and have been using them everyday since, now my ankle's feeling so much stronger and I've been skating - nothing big or major flatground, but it feels super good and I'm much happier.

I tried the wobble board and it didn't do much for me, although mine sprain wasn't your regular outside-ankle sprain.

Check them out, just tie it around your bed frame leg and around your foot then flex your ankle doing sets and reps in different directions.