Author Topic: Mandible Claw: TENGU (trailer)  (Read 6324 times)

Jordan Wiens

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 48
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
Re: Mandible Claw: TENGU (trailer)
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2013, 09:29:00 PM »
look guys, I do and have been filming for years now. these white paint titles with the wipe transitions are ripped straight from yoan, and so are all of the cities he's focusing on (not saying they couldn't be abd, but grouped together specifically). I know this guy is talented enough to travel (with wherever he gets his money) and film all of these guys and put together a big project like this, which takes a lot of work, I know. now I obviously haven't seen the full length, but from this trailer and previous edits it just seems like the same template editing style of Yoan and the aforementioned Japanese filmers, it bums me out. just seems like a waste, that's my opinion. I still love most of the guys he chooses to film.
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2013, 09:33:16 PM »
I hope u gave yoan shit for doing the exact same thing 4 years ago.
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

wario

• Rep: 60
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2013, 09:42:17 PM »
look guys, I do and have been filming for years now. these white paint titles with the wipe transitions are ripped straight from yoan, and so are all of the cities he's focusing on (not saying they couldn't be abd, but grouped together specifically). I know this guy is talented enough to travel (with wherever he gets his money) and film all of these guys and put together a big project like this, which takes a lot of work, I know. now I obviously haven't seen the full length, but from this trailer and previous edits it just seems like the same template editing style of Yoan and the aforementioned Japanese filmers, it bums me out. just seems like a waste, that's my opinion. I still love most of the guys he chooses to film.

this has a really different feel to me than anything i've seen yoan do. it feels scary. and dude it looks like there's a new subway section, and a section skating on the FUCKING EDGES OF ROOFS, WHAT THE FUCK. i have a feeling this is gonna be video of the year. i know static 4 is coming out this year to, and i'm sure that it will be mindbogglingly amazing, but honestly i think i'm more excited for this now. the line-up in the youtube description is FUCKED.

nino brown

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1416
  • only nerds kook people
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2013, 09:45:25 PM »
if your name wasn't on the video im sure i'd say it was a minuit sequel.
seriously https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G69yr6ukfkg

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 381
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2013, 09:58:27 PM »

Damn man, you talked a big game until MC came in here and called you out on your bullshit.

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2013, 10:25:41 PM »
it just seems like the same template editing style of Yoan and the aforementioned Japanese filmers
First he's biting; now it's just the editing style.
Do you honestly have something that is undeniably pulled from these other guys?
If, in your opinion, the overall style reminds you of Yoan, that's fine. As a complaint it's rubbish. I'd like to see you find something free of outside influence.
But if you're going to call him out on biting other people's shit, back it up.

BTW I'd like to see your totally original work that gives you the right to shit all over this.

hydrant hopper

• Rep: 4
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2013, 12:01:19 AM »
Looking sick dude.  I'm assuming it is going to be montages by city?

Fenzadill

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
  • lemme get the 4 dollar one
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2013, 06:37:11 AM »

Lets see your work so we can pick it apart. 

Everyone works off their influences, from skate filmers to Orson Welles, it's about homage and adding your own cast to the styles that you enjoy.

I can't wait to buy this shit and I can't believe Koki fucking fell in towards the third rail.

example. i cant cast a spelll or love potion on a girl and she falls total in love for me
but i can show a girl my tv youtube clip on my or her phone. but there's a difference ok

Rumpleforeskin

« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2013, 07:17:55 AM »
Mandible, you really should have just tried to get the Comic Sans font video editing trend going.  But seriously, that was tight!

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2013, 07:28:11 AM »
Looks killer MC. Cannot wait to see it!
"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

kamltoe

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -443
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2013, 08:14:56 AM »

tha fuck are you talking about? yoans sick, but looks nothing like this except that it's skateboarding footage (and i'm sure yoan would agree). if anything, mandibles aesthetic tends more towards the florida tradition established by perrin et. al. (have you even seen any of the westside series?), even though i knew it was his style from the trailer so there must be something original about it. i think some of yall want to pose up as skate nerds but don't really want to educate yourself on the subject to be knowledgeable enough to take seriously. you probably think the whole Girl series was ripping off Powell because of all the skits too huh? I'm sure Stacy is so bummed on Spike.

fuck outta here with that bullshit.

if you've been filming for any amount of time and this is the lens through which you see the subject of video aesthetics, there's probably a reason i don't know who the fuck you are.

mandible. you already know my feelings on this.

k

Quote from: The Gipper

Classic keyboard skate champion talk right there.

you need to stop thinking people do what you tell them bc they dont.

Dontfearthereefer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -232
  • Head kook
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2013, 08:18:56 AM »

I can't be the only one who thought this before opening the thread

Hannity

« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2013, 08:51:34 AM »
keep doing ur thing colin, these haters just jealous you get to film with some of the best skaters in the world. if leo valls and the like want to film with you, that says something about your skill.  ;D

stab

• Rep: -1
  • Jumping Beans is a cop
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2013, 09:02:40 AM »
I got to see a good portion of the early edit of this a couple weeks ago and it looked really great

the Magenta SF blues and nyc edits were basically teasers for mandible claws full length

I didn't come here to dream or teach the world things;
define paradigms or curate no living days

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1473
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2013, 09:11:34 AM »
This is going to be major.  Fucking loving this.  Keep up the good work.  Your effort is greatly appreciated and your skill shows. 

Thanks for making skateboarding better by being a part of this aesthetic.  Shit on all your haters simply by putting out more quality product.  For serious.

In all honesty, I've never had a single clip make me want to go out and get a video more than that subway gap.  Holy shit is real.

wario

« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2013, 09:45:46 AM »
what the fuuuuuuck

slap just posted this on the front page. jesus arsefucking christ

wario

« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2013, 09:59:21 AM »

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1003
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2013, 10:12:48 AM »
Trailer was sick. Jordan Ween, you are a bummer. Go take a nap, play with a puppy and cheer the fuck up.

HIggs Bawson

• Rep: 7
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2013, 12:38:42 PM »
Are the subway tracks not electrified in NY? If so that adds a whole other level of terrifying to that ollie/attempts.

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2013, 12:46:24 PM »
The two rails the train rides on are not. There is a third, partially covered rail which is, and which on the opposite side of the tracks from the platform, or right where you would end up if you didn't clear the gap in this scenario. There are not many stations with two platforms on either side of one single track like we see here, so ollieing the tracks would only be possible in a handful of stations.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2013, 01:31:08 PM »
I just watched a bunch of new york clips today and I was wondering what hes been up to lately. Fucking stoked on this!

Dontfearthereefer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -232
  • Head kook
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2013, 01:36:44 PM »
is it magenta-ish or magenta MC-ish?

toque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
    • Portmanteau avatar image
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2013, 08:57:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

www.wardenjeans.tumblr.com

Some pretty cool stuff,  not necessarily breaking the mold though. 

You can definitely see traces Yoan's influence in the trailer but I wouldn't say that's something to complain about.  I thought the GX1000/MCVX deal was a little more suspect...can't wait to see it, titles made me think of this at first:

wheee!

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • tiger style
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2013, 10:02:07 PM »
how the fuck are you going to complain about that trailer? bunch of jealous ass motherfuckers in this thread. glad kamel handled that proper.

b.v.

« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2013, 10:35:49 PM »
Can't wait to buy it Colin.
Everyone's A critic.
I suppose if you put yourself out there you should expect A lot of feedback.

A.J.K.

« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2013, 10:46:53 PM »
Ok, before I start, Mandible, I like your shit and mean no ill.

But honestly, you guys really can't see where JW is coming from?  The trailer is basically a derivative of what is being done by the filmers/editors mentioned previously.  And Just cause Yoan stole the style from someone else doesn't make it okay from someone to steal it from Yoan. 

It is sort of weird to have all these amazing opportunities to make something special and truly different to only put out a beta version of what is currently trendy.  MC had an original aesthetic and style in his older clips, so why not carry that over into his newer stuff? 

For all I know the full video could come out and shut me up up, but slap heads need to calm the fuck down over criticism.  Christ.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 381
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2013, 11:07:25 PM »
But here's the thing: it's a trailer for a larger project.  MC's full lengths and his other projects have their own aesthetic (which is obviously influenced by certain people). To watch a trailer, which can only be edited effectively so many ways, and write off the entire video as derivative while ignoring previous output is simply dumb.

Not only that, but some of those guys (like the Magenta dudes) probably skate in such a way that it makes sense to film them like that.  Or they prefer to be filmed a certain way. Thats probably why MC's footage of then is so similar to their own vids, not because of a lack of creativity by him.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2013, 07:20:20 AM »
You know whats funny is that even all those magenta and japanese videos are really just ripping off josh stewarts editing style for puleo in static 2. Static 2 is really the center of all of this and im sure if u were to ask the magenta and japanese video editors and even mandible claw theyd all say static 2 and josh stewart are a huge influence on the way they edit. Now if you were to ask josh stewart if he was bummed that a load of dudes have co-oped his whole aesthetic he would probably say no and is probably really psyched that people think its something worth being ripped off, if anything it just makes static 2 more important.

Bloody Matt

• Rep: -41
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2013, 09:12:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

www.wardenjeans.tumblr.com

Some pretty cool stuff,  not necessarily breaking the mold though. 

Those slow zoom ins are a total rip-off of Kubrick, man.

A.J.K.

« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2013, 09:23:27 AM »
But here's the thing: it's a trailer for a larger project.  MC's full lengths and his other projects have their own aesthetic (which is obviously influenced by certain people). To watch a trailer, which can only be edited effectively so many ways, and write off the entire video as derivative while ignoring previous output is simply dumb.
Fair enough, but still, this trailer alone is extremely similar to other things and what MC has put out in the past isn't going to change that.  This argument is just going to go in circles though.