Author Topic: Anterior Ankle Pain  (Read 2150 times)

#2Chinz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -3
Anterior Ankle Pain
« on: April 17, 2013, 08:15:36 AM »
Anyone have this?

"Anterior ankle pain is located between the ankle bones on the front side of the ankle. The pain is caused by the Talus pinching against the Tibia"

"Symptoms include pain with any activity that forces the foot into dorsiflexion (toes toward shin), which includes landings and calf stretches. It usually begins with soreness but can progress to significant pain, swelling and loss of function."

http://usagym.org/pages/home/publications/technique/2008/10/30_ankle.pdf

I've been dealing with this for years, getting worse and worse since last year... It never bothers me if I'm not skating and over the winter I figured the shit was gone, but as soon as I got a lick of the nice weather and landed funny playing a game of skate, it happens all over again and is weak as shit for weeks. I can't jump off nothing or try unfamiliar tricks without the fear of this pain.

Anyone have any experience with this, that can provide some advice as to what I should do? According to the article above for gymnasts' the best thing to do is some ankle exercises/therapy to strengthen the ankle, however, I feel that the demand that skating has on my ankles this will only be somewhat helpful and not provide me with the confidence I need to backside flip the massifers. 

#2Chinz

Re: Anterior Ankle Pain
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 05:01:54 AM »
Bump.

Did I post this in the wrong thread?

jerrys_kids

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 09:12:35 AM »
O yea I've got that bad, I'll feel it just skating flat, I always wear high tops (like dunks and skytop III's) and lace them all the way up so they cant bend up that much.

sweet pee

• Rep: 124
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 09:23:37 AM »
I had this really bad 2 years ago. Anytime I would land slightly off, it felt like someone was stabbing my ankle with an icepick.
I tried ankle braces, high and mid-top shoes. None of that worked.

The only thing that worked for me is switching up my diet to include anti-inflammatory foods.
Lots of dark berries, leafy vegetables, and I also cut back on sugar. Ever since I have not had a problem with my ankle.
Hope you heal up soon! I know how frustrating this type of injury is.

raunchyrick

• Rep: 36
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 09:58:21 AM »
There's a thread in skate questions about ankle strengthening/exercises  ;)

foureyedjim

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 10:14:49 AM »
Is this after a bad ankle injury or is it just something that happened on it's own?
It could just be scar tissue that you need to break to get your regular ROM back.

Well just in case this applies to some of you, this is something that can help:
Loop a theraband around a stable vertical pole somewhere and tie a knot so you can put your foot through.
Try to place the band on your tibia/fibiula and walk away from the pole until you think there's enough pressure on the bones to keep it in place.  Now go in a squatting position and slowly do some squats until your ankle starts hurting. come back up and do it a few times (around 5 times).  Try doing this for a while and see if it helps. 

SecretShake

• Rep: -1
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 10:36:20 AM »
I just replied in the "Ankle Strengthening/ Stretching" but this is pretty much the same thing I'm going through but on the medial side.
It's taken a long time to heal and at stages I got so pissed off because it just didn't feel like it was getting better at all.. anyway, resistance bands have been amazing for me and I can now almost squat all the way down without the sharp pain.

#2Chinz

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 11:32:25 AM »
Is this after a bad ankle injury or is it just something that happened on it's own?
It could just be scar tissue that you need to break to get your regular ROM back.

Well just in case this applies to some of you, this is something that can help:
Loop a theraband around a stable vertical pole somewhere and tie a knot so you can put your foot through.
Try to place the band on your tibia/fibiula and walk away from the pole until you think there's enough pressure on the bones to keep it in place.  Now go in a squatting position and slowly do some squats until your ankle starts hurting. come back up and do it a few times (around 5 times).  Try doing this for a while and see if it helps. 

Kind of just happened, no major injury.. I would say it's pretty mild, I have full ROM but it can really piss me off if it ruins a session from landing funny causing the sudden dorsiflexion of my ankle.  I've read a few articles on it and it could also be the cartilage is worn out at my talus joint or whatever. Anyone try Glucosamine?

It only ever hurts after a long day of skating or from landing funny. I just have to sit back from ~30 min then I'm good.

What really bugs me though is the loss of confidence in my skating after landing funny!

poopnutsupreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 11:37:39 AM »
Reducing your two chins into one chin might help
Any dude that hates on roller hockey hasn't played, and likely haven't played a sport in their entire life.

#2Chinz

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 04:47:56 AM »
Reducing your two chins into one chin might help

Agreed.