Author Topic: Things to do in SF  (Read 2133 times)

poopmonkey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 20
Things to do in SF
« on: April 22, 2013, 03:33:51 AM »
Going to SF this fal, fucking stoked! Never been in the states before. Anyone got any tips besides the obvious skating/spots? Maybe some nice places/monuments to see or visit? Great local food establishments? Great bars/parties? Thanks bay area pals!

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 168
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Things to do in SF
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 09:31:15 AM »
You chose a fantastic city to get a US introduction!

Avoid the Fisherman's Wharf by all means. Sure, Alcatraz is cool and the Aquarium of the Bay is ok, but the general area is so frustratingly touristy that I almost have panic attacks when I go there. I hate, hate, hate it there. They do have an In N Out there, though.

Bars/drinks: Toronado in Lower Haight is my shit. A LOT of taps, history, awesome dudes behind the bar. A fun place to watch a Giants game or to just get drunk in the middle of the day. Lower Haight itself is a great drankin' area - you'll find a lot over there if you just keep an open mind.
If you want to have a fun night of drinking, do Chinatown. Most Chinatown visitors like seeing the place in the day because the culture is something else over there, but I love it there mostly for its guaranteed nights of drunken fun.

Food: Depends what you like, SF has everything - I honestly believe it's is the second-best "food city" in the US behind NYC. House of
Prime Rib will set you back $50 each, but its hype is fully warranted. Seafood options are plentiful, just do a little research online before you settle on a place because anywhere can sell frozen fish, but good, fresh fish (crab in particular) is different.

Bike across the Golden Gate. It's kind of a stereotypical SF thing to do, but I admire that bridge so damn much that it's worth it to me.

Golden Gate Park is beautiful, but the "main attractions" (Flower Garden, Japanese Tea Garden, etc.) cost money, so plan accordingly.

Enjoy yourself. SF is the Dublin of the States; people are friendly and want to talk to you about their great city. EVERYBODY has their favorite spots/activities, so don't be afraid to ask a stranger you meet "Got any suggestions?"

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 09:48:55 AM »
Bike across the Golden Gate. It's kind of a stereotypical SF thing to do, but I admire that bridge so damn much that it's worth it to me.

This!
Rent a bike, bike across the golden gate then down to Sausalito, that place is beautiful on a sunny day..you can take a ferry and go back to the city too.
Oh and it can be chilly outside even in july (sweatshirt type of thing) and windy but the sun is hot so watch out haha I got sunburnt
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

Andrew

• Rep: 100
  • lightcatcher
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 05:40:40 PM »
it's hard to go wrong with shit to do in SF. I live in the East Bay area but even when I go to the city with just my board/homies/camera and no specific destination or goal, it's always a good time. Lombard Street is pretty cliche but it's actually pretty rad to see in person and if you walk up the hill a little bit there is a park at the top with pretty nice 360 views from the tennis courts/basketball courts. I don't remember what the park is called but if you look on google maps its right by lombard.

Check out City Lights Bookstore on Columbus, Coit tower, golden gate bridge, etc.
The only thing you nerds grind down is yer keyboard keys.

The Human Condom

• Rep: 45
  • Free condoms! Free condoms from The Human Condom.
    • : /skeɪt/ avatar image
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 02:26:45 AM »
See a naked lady in a glass box.

woodsman

• Rep: 65
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 01:20:18 PM »
The Lusty Lady. The Fillmore and The Great American Music Hall are cool venues if someone is playing there that you like. There are a couple good stand up comedy places. I saw Dave Chappelle a lot in SF. Tons of good food.

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 07:14:56 AM »
The Lusty Lady. The Fillmore and The Great American Music Hall are cool venues if someone is playing there that you like. There are a couple good stand up comedy places. I saw Dave Chappelle a lot in SF. Tons of good food.

I can attest to this. The framed photos of previous musicians/comedians/etc. they have on the walls is astounding. Also, free apples for some reason!

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 04:48:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I can attest to this. The framed photos of previous musicians/comedians/etc. they have on the walls is astounding. Also, free apples for some reason!
It's the only venue I've been to with full blown air conditioning too. No need to sweat your ass off when you're rocking out!

woodsman

• Rep: 65
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 09:19:58 PM »
 This is not fine dining but some good spots. Grubstake on pine and polk is the best late night diner after drinking. Not worth going way out of your way for but if you're within 15 blocks just get there, I think they're open until 4. I've never been to Philly but The Cheese Steak Shop on Divisadero has the best Phillycheesesteak sandwich I've ever had. Aux Delices Vietnamese Restaurant on Polk street is also real good. They use fillet mignon in some of the dishes, and the food always seems fresh. I like Izzy's Steak house and don't forget to visit Za Pizza were you can see washed up skaters and rising stars serving you a slice and a beer with a frown.  :)

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 613
    • Community Push avatar image
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 01:10:52 PM »

Boobs for a dollar. Serious.

poopmonkey

• Rep: 20
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 02:47:35 PM »
damn slap, thanks for all the suggestions so far! gotta write some of this shit down somewhere.

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 03:58:29 PM »
The Lusty Lady.
When I saw this topic, I wondered if The Lusty Lady was still open. Guess so.

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2013, 01:08:22 PM »
the real SF people will give you better shit, but for my recommends:

if you want some good cheap mexican food go to El Farolito in the Mission  - first trick in this is just to the right of it :  

not far from there is Tartine Bakery.  good place to get coffee and pastries / ogle college age hipster chicks

The Tonga Room is a fun, cheesy place to have a drink.  in the Fairmont Hotel.  it rains inside like a tropical rain forest.  it's like Disneyland except with strong tiki drinks

Fisherman's Warf is indeed touristy, but nearby is the Farmers Market which is pretty cool to check out.  grab some good breakfast food or pupusas

i 2nd Toronado.  probably best beer bar in SF (at least that i know about)

« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 01:10:25 PM by floop »
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2013, 05:44:09 PM »
the real SF people will give you better shit, but for my recommends:

if you want some good cheap mexican food go to El Farolito in the Mission  - first trick in this is just to the right of it :  

not far from there is Tartine Bakery.  good place to get coffee and pastries / ogle college age hipster chicks

The Tonga Room is a fun, cheesy place to have a drink.  in the Fairmont Hotel.  it rains inside like a tropical rain forest.  it's like Disneyland except with strong tiki drinks

Fisherman's Warf is indeed touristy, but nearby is the Farmers Market which is pretty cool to check out.  grab some good breakfast food or pupusas

i 2nd Toronado.  probably best beer bar in SF (at least that i know about)

That Tonga room looks awesome! I had no idea it existed.

iwshilvdnfinland and poopmonkey: go there and report back.

noone1234

• Rep: -36
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2013, 05:55:21 PM »
Yes to the lusty lady, dont touch the door knobs though, grab at least 4 tissues from the box. one for entry, one for exit, and 2-56 depending on how big of a load you bust/how many dollar(s) you put in the machine. also buy a sticker.....or twelve, they only cost a $1.

Schismatic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2013, 08:59:23 AM »
One thing in SF that I always enjoyed was the Hypnodrome Theatre. It's a small venue, inexpensive for what you get, and they do some pretty funny and interesting shit. I wouldn't say I'm a live theatre enthusiast by any means, but if you happen to have someone to take out while you're there then you can't go wrong with this place.
http://thrillpeddlers.com/

The California Academy of Sciences and exploratorium also have some really cool things to do. The museum has adult nights too where it's 21+. last time I went (been a few years) they had beer stands between all the exhibits. Definitely a different kind of museum experience. It used to be pretty inexpensive but I think their admission cost went up. Still, how many chances do you get to see an albino alligator up close? Again, something best to do if you have company, whether it's family or a significant other.
http://www.calacademy.org/

plod

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2013, 02:36:29 PM »
look for Matt Field 

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2013, 07:50:07 PM »
Go skate Waller & Stanyan and then check out Haight & Asbury, which is right up the street. They've got some rad thrift stores, FTC, cheap food, and tons of hippies that'll happily sell you weed if that's your thing.

RonBurgundy

• Rep: -40
  • from a whale's vagina
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2013, 09:26:48 PM »
I'll be there from the 23 to the 28th this month too!
im going with my girl, where can i skate some curbs and chill with some locals? Waller & Stanyan?
do people still sakte 3rd and army? i dream of going there but i hate skating alone

Morty Seinfeld

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2013, 09:54:01 PM »
look for Matt Field 

I'd be stoked to run into him. What a rad guy.

noone1234

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2013, 10:00:56 PM »
Expand Quote
look for Matt Field  
[close]

i asked that dude what the 10 year secret to the impossible is.......he laughed at me and skated away pushing as if he was running from an avalanche

Morty Seinfeld

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2013, 10:26:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
look for Matt Field  
[close]

[close]

i asked that dude what the 10 year secret to the impossible is.......he laughed at me and skated away pushing as if he was running from an avalanche

hahahahaha I would've laughed at you too. I'm sure the answer has something to do with extensive yoga

noone1234

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2013, 10:40:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
look for Matt Field  
[close]

[close]

[close]

hahahahaha I would've laughed at you too. I'm sure the answer has something to do with extensive yoga

or crack cocaine