Author Topic: Driving from Sydney to Byron bay - Australia  (Read 334 times)

Dr-Feelgood

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
Driving from Sydney to Byron bay - Australia
« on: February 18, 2023, 07:13:21 PM »
So next month Im taking a road trip to byron from sydney, stopping for overnight stays along the way in Forster, then coffs harbour etc before settling for a few days in byron bay.
Wondering if anyone has done the trip or been to any of the towns inbetween sydney and byron and had recommendations for skate parks or spots. Looking to skate as much as i can during this trip, ive googled all the local skateparks close to where ill be staying but figured id put this out there in case someone had some gems.
cheers

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
Re: Driving from Sydney to Byron bay - Australia
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2023, 09:02:19 PM »
I did this trip like a decade ago with a girlfriend and remember the skateparks being pretty shithouse haha. They've probably built some new ones since then. But it's one of the most beautiful regions of Australia regardless.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2023, 02:34:47 AM »
Port Macquarie has a dece park…also Yamba is a good town to check out, the channon, bangalow, federal are all chill places to visit
listen to cosmic psychos

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2023, 01:52:29 PM »
Sorry to be a bummer but Byron is easily one of the worst places in the known universe.

Depends what you like to skate..

As Matty said, Yamba is nice and recently was upgraded (the skatepark that is).

Ballina has an indoor skatepark thing at the skateshop in the industrial estate that has a concrete loop and some other diy elements to it.

Everybody loves Mullum - I don't know, it's just a lot of transition though - also has a diy zone off to the side.

Nimbin is kind of a dumb skatepark, the mini-mini ramp is fun.

Numerous private vert ramps/mini ramps/bowls and more if you tap in to the right folks and you're not a horrible person.

If street is more your thing there's not a lot of actual street skating to do - yamba has spots around town, lismore has spots, goonellabah is the most street skatepark until new lismore gets built - to be honest though you probably don't want to spend any of your holiday time in goonellabah. I guess suffolk park  (which is basically byron) also has a little streety zone with diy ledges and rails on the basketball court next to the skatepark. Kind of wollongbar too, it's pretty mellow though.

Number 1 tip would be not to think Byron is the destination - checkout everywhere else in the area. Sorry, maybe you'll love it. It's pretty rank though as far I'm concerned - especially if you're trying to get out of sydney, might as well just go to bondi.
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2023, 12:37:04 PM »
I was actually up on the central coast over the past few days and the skateparks around the newcastle area are all pretty sick. A lot of new ones. it was pissing rain so I didn't get to skate much but Bateau bay has a pretty sick one too. Especially if you like big transition.

As far as not skating goes I recommend calling in to port stephens to check out the sand dunes, maybe bring an old deck to try sand boarding :)

Angourie is a beautiful little spot too, especially if you surf. Even if you don't it's worth calling in just to spend the afternoon there or something

So many beautiful beaches and national parks up there, just a beautiful, sub-tropical part of the world
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 537
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2023, 12:17:47 AM »
You could always check this directory

https://blog.skateboard.com.au/skateparks/

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2023, 11:02:59 PM »
Sorry to be a bummer but Byron is easily one of the worst places in the known universe.

Depends what you like to skate..

As Matty said, Yamba is nice and recently was upgraded (the skatepark that is).

Ballina has an indoor skatepark thing at the skateshop in the industrial estate that has a concrete loop and some other diy elements to it.

Everybody loves Mullum - I don't know, it's just a lot of transition though - also has a diy zone off to the side.

Nimbin is kind of a dumb skatepark, the mini-mini ramp is fun.

Numerous private vert ramps/mini ramps/bowls and more if you tap in to the right folks and you're not a horrible person.

If street is more your thing there's not a lot of actual street skating to do - yamba has spots around town, lismore has spots, goonellabah is the most street skatepark until new lismore gets built - to be honest though you probably don't want to spend any of your holiday time in goonellabah. I guess suffolk park  (which is basically byron) also has a little streety zone with diy ledges and rails on the basketball court next to the skatepark. Kind of wollongbar too, it's pretty mellow though.

Number 1 tip would be not to think Byron is the destination - checkout everywhere else in the area. Sorry, maybe you'll love it. It's pretty rank though as far I'm concerned - especially if you're trying to get out of sydney, might as well just go to bondi.

Yeah ive been to byron before, busy ass tourist town, my girlfriends from canada and byron was the destination just to basically drive up and road trip, show her some places and towns shes never seen before.
Anyway my dumbass forget to check back in on this before leaving.
Still hit a bunch of good parks on the way up and down. Coffs harbours park was sick, port mac was nice, hit a bunch of smaller ones throughout, can barely remember the names of the towns now cause they were tiny but it was sucessful trip

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2023, 11:06:07 PM »
I was actually up on the central coast over the past few days and the skateparks around the newcastle area are all pretty sick. A lot of new ones. it was pissing rain so I didn't get to skate much but Bateau bay has a pretty sick one too. Especially if you like big transition.

As far as not skating goes I recommend calling in to port stephens to check out the sand dunes, maybe bring an old deck to try sand boarding :)

Angourie is a beautiful little spot too, especially if you surf. Even if you don't it's worth calling in just to spend the afternoon there or something

So many beautiful beaches and national parks up there, just a beautiful, sub-tropical part of the world

Hell yeah dude, i got lucky with the weather, hit alot of nice beaches throughout the trip. Cheers for the tips, ill be making another trip up that way to skate more for sure soon.....not as far as byron but a weekend in nelson bay could do. Ill look into Angourie for a visit