Author Topic: Simon Woodstock Interview  (Read 10128 times)

Simon Woodstock

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -35
    • Nowhere avatar image
Re: Simon Woodstock Interview
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2012, 08:09:25 PM »
I have a pair in eleven.  Glad to see your back on a skateboard, Simon!

Right on, Mike! look me up on facebook or something if you want. Cheers!

Schismatic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2012, 09:59:56 PM »
He was rad. He actually had a sense of humor during a time when everybody else was busy posturing. He was doing something different (and successfully at that) which is why I don't get people who hate him. And his shoe didn't look much different than the rest of Vans shoes during that period.
The other guy on the 360 flip was Jason Adams, btw.

I actually enjoyed Simon's comical take on skating, it seemed like poking the finger at an era when skateboarding had too much spot territoriality and vibing people who didn't do slow ass super tech tricks on 38mm wheels going on. Then some friends saw him at a demo and said he seemed like a complete dick. Not one to dismiss the possibility that someone could be having a bad day and be burnt out on tour I tried talking to Simon at a trade show (maybe ASR) and the Campbell's soup suit wearing motherfucker gave off a total Tony Alva'esque "way too fucking cool vibe." Point is that it seems like people hated his shitty asshole attitude more than they hated his circus act skating.

Other peoples religion isn't my business but if being a Christian makes him less of a douchey prick then great, go with what works and makes you a more tolerable human being. Thanks for not hardcore pushing the point of view on others.

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2012, 10:10:47 PM »
Expand Quote
He was rad. He actually had a sense of humor during a time when everybody else was busy posturing. He was doing something different (and successfully at that) which is why I don't get people who hate him. And his shoe didn't look much different than the rest of Vans shoes during that period.
[close]

I actually enjoyed Simon's comical take on skating, it seemed like poking the finger at an era when skateboarding had too much spot territoriality and vibing people who didn't do slow ass super tech tricks on 38mm wheels going on. Then some friends saw him at a demo and said he seemed like a complete dick. Not one to dismiss the possibility that someone could be having a bad day and be burnt out on tour I tried talking to Simon at a trade show (maybe ASR) and the Campbell's soup suit wearing motherfucker gave off a total Tony Alva'esque "way too fucking cool vibe." Point is that it seems like people hated his shitty asshole attitude more than they hated his circus act skating.

Other peoples religion isn't my business but if being a Christian makes him less of a douchey prick then great, go with what works and makes you a more tolerable human being. Thanks for not hardcore pushing the point of view on others.

Hey, brah.. sorry and please tell your friend I'm sorry. It was kind of hit or miss for me back in those days. Either I was in a really good mood and playing skate with all the kids and tossing out free stuff. Or in a super grumpy mood when I would basically just bark at people. I had become pretty selfish and bitter towards the latter part of the 90s. If you e-mail me your address address I'll send u guys some free shirts or something. Peace!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 10:47:29 PM by Simon Woodstock »

annoyedwithskating

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2012, 12:18:53 AM »
using woodstock as a graphic is wrong on so many levels. dude has no sense of humor. i have never seen anyone take themselves so seriously.

Dutch

• Rep: 10
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2012, 04:33:21 AM »

not a fan of too much clowning,but thought this was cool!

MisterX

« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2012, 03:52:48 PM »
First "real" board I got for my birthday had some Woodstock boxing glove graphic wheels.  I wish I still had them.  I always thought Simon was super cool, and I used to love watching this video.  So many great skaters and Simon's shoes are the best
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 04:23:49 PM by MisterX »

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2012, 12:40:12 AM »
Someone claiming to be Simon Woodstock once sent an e-mail asking to take down his scanned magazine photos from my website. I thought, if this was really Simon Woodstock, how silly it was for a semi-well known public figure to try to erase something published (and distributed to thousands) in a major skate magazine. Then I searched google images and found that there were almost no skate/clown pictures of him anywhere. Even the well-known magazine scan type blogs had purged their archives. A few months later, a SkateBook clown-heavy retrospective obliterated any sense Woodstock's '90s anonymity.

Assuming the true Simon Woodstock sent the e-mail, how ironic that the picture in question is not only the first image to the linked interview, but possibly from the exact same scan.

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 737
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2012, 03:53:51 AM »
Simon, what's the weirdest setup you've kickflipped?
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2012, 03:55:28 AM »

This part still has some crazy stuff in it.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

tb303

• Rep: -141
  • acid drop
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2012, 04:33:48 AM »
Expand Quote
a hair dying , clown suit wearing fag that became a christian, why do people need to be Christians to do good things for humanity?
fuck this cunt and the horse he came in on
[close]
Obviously weren't skating at the time.

I've probably been skating longer than you mate, Vans warped tours never really appealed to me, neither did Simon woodstock,
Christians and religion in general is what is wrong with this world, it's my opinion so deal with it....

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2012, 08:35:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
a hair dying , clown suit wearing fag that became a christian, why do people need to be Christians to do good things for humanity?
fuck this cunt and the horse he came in on
[close]
Obviously weren't skating at the time.
[close]

I've probably been skating longer than you mate, Vans warped tours never really appealed to me, neither did Simon woodstock,
Christians and religion in general is what is wrong with this world, it's my opinion so deal with it....

Why does he have to be a "fag"? The Christian hate seems childish too. Was the part above not pretty good? I'm not a fan either, but he was always a good skater, not really a matter of opinion.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 01:30:36 PM by 360 frip »
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

Schismatic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2012, 09:32:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Hey, brah.. sorry and please tell your friend I'm sorry. It was kind of hit or miss for me back in those days. Either I was in a really good mood and playing skate with all the kids and tossing out free stuff. Or in a super grumpy mood when I would basically just bark at people. I had become pretty selfish and bitter towards the latter part of the 90s. If you e-mail me your address address I'll send u guys some free shirts or something. Peace!

We're all human. There's something to be said for admitting flaws and taking accountability. However, can't ignore the fact that you called me "brah" so I still hate your face.

On a positive note, I got a hand-me-down Simon Woodstock board around '93 and it had a super steep 7.5" nose and a 5" tail that was almost flat. I hated looking at the ugly atrocity but it's the only deck I've ever done consistent nollie bigspin heelflips on and I could effortlessly Ollie waist high off that sad little tail. I never quite understood that.

Really, no hard feelings. When some guy I don't know doesn't want to be my buddy right away its not something to harp on.

trannies and mannies

« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2012, 09:39:33 AM »
Simon how often do you get mistaken for Kevin Staab?

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2012, 04:34:05 AM »
hey simon, i watched the man who souled the world this weekend, for the first time. is it true tha tyou paid rocco 100 gs?

i wasn the biggest fan, bu tkickfliping that hip and kicking your shoes off in 411 always made me laugh.

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2012, 08:14:03 PM »
Thanks bro! Fun skating again!

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2012, 08:16:17 PM »
He did a demo in Baton Rouge maybe with the Sonic team, and he was amazing he didnt do too much gimmick stuff just really good skating.
He was just as good or better than any pro of that era, there was a fly out to beam thing at that park that every trannyish pro would do when they did a demo there Simon actually grinded the beam over a doorway to grab into another quarterpipe. Pretty much destroyed every fly every other pro did there. Grim do you remember that demo?

Thanks, man! I think I remember that demo. We were like 8 hours late, right??

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2012, 08:21:58 PM »
Simon, what's the weirdest setup you've kickflipped?

The snowboard with trucks and wheels on it was trickey. I was also able to flip the springboard I once had. That wan't easy at all..

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2012, 08:23:35 PM »
Simon how often do you get mistaken for Kevin Staab?

That's never happened. But he does die his har and stuff. I saw him the earlier in the summer at Circle-A skate shop in San Jose. He's a cool guy..

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2012, 08:25:44 PM »
Special thanks to everyone who commented on this thread. Sorry I lagged in getting back to you. If you are in the South Bay area I am down to go skate. I hit Red Park (Mayfair) almost every week when I am not hurt. Peace!

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2012, 08:27:29 PM »
hey simon, i watched the man who souled the world this weekend, for the first time. is it true tha tyou paid rocco 100 gs?

i wasn the biggest fan, bu tkickfliping that hip and kicking your shoes off in 411 always made me laugh.

It was 50k but Metiver had to pay :/

foureyedjim

« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2012, 08:32:51 PM »
Special thanks to everyone who commented on this thread. Sorry I lagged in getting back to you. If you are in the South Bay area I am down to go skate. I hit Red Park (Mayfair) almost every week when I am not hurt. Peace!

burrito time!

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2012, 10:14:06 PM »
Yeah, I've just been itching to get back on here and talk with people. But, mos def check the new Skateboader Magazine for more current info... I'll check back here in a week or so :)

Bella

• Rep: -1
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2012, 03:43:10 AM »
Good interview with a cool man!

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2012, 04:39:36 AM »
dude seems really cool and mellow. when i started skating in 96 he was one of the few pros besides tony hawk and steve caballero i knew. it's great to hear that he's skating again for the fun and although i'm not religious in anyway and usually can't stand missionary and all that, it seems to work out for him so that's cool. really good mini ramp ripper too.

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2012, 02:43:52 PM »
I answer some questions you might not think to ask in the newest Skateboarder Magazine. Should be on the newsstands this week. Czech it out!!!

annoyedwithskating

« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2013, 02:32:58 PM »
Christians just exchange one form of asshole for another. I feel sorry for them. Their religious mindset convinces them they have overcome the thing about themselves they hate, but it just manifests itself in other ways.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3329
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2013, 02:37:12 PM »
Christians just exchange one form of asshole for another. I feel sorry for them. Their religious mindset convinces them they have overcome the thing about themselves they hate, but it just manifests itself in other ways.

#realtalk