Author Topic: back pain  (Read 1505 times)

Dick Butkus

back pain
« on: April 30, 2013, 08:48:08 PM »
I know that some of you older lurkers probably have back pain, how do you stretch, or ease the pain?

I'm a teenager, but I haven't been able to skate very hard for like 3 weeks because of straining my back, any tips?

happenstance

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: back pain
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 08:56:39 PM »
Stretching is great but the real cure is exercise. Build up your back muscles. This is basically the cure to any joint pain. Build up the muscles that surround the painful joint.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 09:42:41 PM »
Stretching is great but the real cure is exercise. Build up your back muscles. This is basically the cure to any joint pain. Build up the muscles that surround the painful joint.
Is there anyway to build up the muscles around your knee? My knees are already shitty from having flat feet.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 10:31:11 PM »
biking must be good for knees

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 11:14:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Is there anyway to build up the muscles around your knee? My knees are already shitty from having flat feet.
As was said, biking helps. To really build muscle I suggest getting ankle weights and doing straight leg lifts on your stomach, back, and side. My right knee has been the bane of my existence and I have done this every time I injure it. That or seriously walking miles every day for a few months. That got me through my first knee injury by accident - I was on a backpacking trip in Europe 9 or so years ago.

I'm sure you can google some other good exercises.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 11:18:17 PM by happenstance »

Lordata

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 23
  • Still Skating at 28, Hailey, Idaho area
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 11:43:39 PM »
hold a superman for at least 60 seconds every day, it will help. If you don't know what a superman is, lay on your stomach and hold up your arms in front of you like super man with you legs also about 3 inches off the ground. that will help your back. Also holding a static crunch just barely off the ground can help.
One more that helps, lie on your back, bring your legs back and bend your knees and lift your body up resting on your shoulders and feet, it looks like a right triangle with the angle at your knees at 60 and the angle between your shoulders and the floor at 30.
I don't think that was a very good description but that's the best I can think of.

DeputyDoses

• Rep: 4
  • I look like Mel Gibson
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 11:51:44 PM »
These guys pretty much have it covered. Stretching and exercise will do wonders for your pain.
Basic stretches, weights, walking, etc. Push-ups and sit-ups, while basic, have actually helped a lot of my pain that I've had.

I've heard that yoga can do wonders for you. I haven't had the chance to experience it yet, but I'm sure it's just stretches galore.

Will Easley

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 12:17:34 AM »
Another really good back stretch is to sit down on the floor, legs together all stretched out, do a normal toe touch THEN allow your forehead to hang with your chin held on your upper chest. it flexes the entire back & you definitely can feel it. its hard to hold if you're backs stiff, but doing it  alot over a long period of time will definitely help with general stiffness.

also good sitting posture helps as well as supportive shoes. I remember a while back i was skating the dixons & the sole blew out & i noticed i was getting unusual back pain I'd never had before when skating for long periods of time. got new shoes & it never happened again.

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200

slutonparade

• Rep: 26
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 09:48:35 AM »
as pretty much everyone has stated, build up your core strength, as well as your leg strength.  do 100 non weighted squats every morning, accompanied by various ab work out, the superman listed above also is clutch.

Seamus_McShamebag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 03:57:23 PM »
This is going to sound kind of silly but make sure you are staying hydrated on and off the board.  When you dry out your muscles start cramping up.  If I am not drinking enough the first thing that starts to bug me while I am skating is my lower back.

I Can't Think

• Rep: 31
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 11:14:15 PM »
At 19 with scoliosis, shit sucks at times. My solution so far has been to exercise and stretch, this strengthens and reduces the tension of the surrounding muscles, since your bones don't really hurt so much as the tissue around it. I just use this rowing machine and focus on my upper back, and do a few stretches before skating, also better padded and more supportive shoes seem to help, a ton actually.

Winking Starfish

• Rep: 5
  • Big White Butt Crew Down To Clown
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 04:13:14 PM »
I was having lower back pain off-and-on for a while, and then I started doing yoga twice week and the back pain is gone. I've only been at the yoga for about six weeks and it's already improved my skating noticeably.

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 07:22:36 AM »
I know it's clich?, but core strengthening helped immensely with my back pain.

Dick Butkus

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 07:10:28 PM »
Thanks a lot guys for the help, I've been stretching daily, and just started seeing a chiropractor again, and I already feel a lot better.  :-*

jonnysheen

• Rep: -63
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2013, 01:25:01 AM »
This is going to sound kind of silly but make sure you are staying hydrated on and off the board.  When you dry out your muscles start cramping up.  If I am not drinking enough the first thing that starts to bug me while I am skating is my lower back.

Damn, think this happened to me the other day.   Skated a bowl, which i hadn't done since last year and got really into it.   Had back ache the next day from all that carving against the wall,  it put a lot of pressure on my lower back through my front foot.  It's slowly getting better , but i can tell my back muscles aren't up to it yet.

Anyway, I've had back problems on and off for years and they (chiro, yoga teacher) say that my hamstrings are really tight so I'm supposed to stretch them to heal my back.  Thing is, the exercises injure my back more!