Author Topic: Predictions for skate companies to go under this year?  (Read 5088 times)

nylin

Re: Predictions for skate companies to go under this year?
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2013, 12:37:06 AM »
How has no one said Blueprint 2.0?

natenola forever

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 119
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2013, 01:29:18 AM »
It would be kinda interesting to know how many skate companies work .

So much money must be lost on flow riders . A shoe company gives out maybe 12 pairs of shoes a year to a dude + clothes , stickers and some other stuff + shipping . Board company is the same 12-24 boards a year ? + clothes and misc and then shipping

How big are the flow teams ? I mean its not just in the US they have people on flow , its all over the world

So they have maybe 100 people on flow , about 10 skaters on their team they also give product too and then pay to skate for them too . And then you have all the trips and other stuff they do , warehouse costs and people who work there

Does tech deck money really cover all that ?

12-25 boards a year? theres ams out there that don't skate a board twice, 12-24 boards a month maybe.
Oh yeah the dude that runs Orion trucks is also the same dude that is running Blueprint now, in case ya'll wanted to support something

Random Matt

• Rep: 8
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2013, 05:26:21 AM »
Expand Quote

So much money must be lost on flow riders . A shoe company gives out maybe 12 pairs of shoes a year to a dude + clothes , stickers and some other stuff + shipping . Board company is the same 12-24 boards a year ? + clothes and misc and then shipping

How big are the flow teams ? I mean its not just in the US they have people on flow , its all over the world

So they have maybe 100 people on flow , about 10 skaters on their team they also give product too and then pay to skate for them too . And then you have all the trips and other stuff they do , warehouse costs and people who work there

[close]
12-25 boards a year? theres ams out there that don't skate a board twice, 12-24 boards a month maybe.
Oh yeah the dude that runs Orion trucks is also the same dude that is running Blueprint now, in case ya'll wanted to support something
For the bigger companies the cost of a deck isn't much at all, $5 maybe.  And the flow guys are representing the brand to their local scene.  If the company breaks even, sponsoring flow dudes is an investment.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2013, 07:35:16 AM »
Darkstar is still around because they licensed the brand name to some sporting goods company that now sells em at Sports Authority, Toys R Us and other big box retail stores a long with the Tech Deck money and other sales keeps em well and alive to have a team and what not. I can't honestly remember the last time I saw one at a skate shop or saw someone riding one. Remember when it used to just be a wheel company?
Black Labels been mentioned here many times that there going out of business but they still seem to be around. They've got an amazing team with some legends and some newer dudes.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Microforrest

• Rep: -19
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2013, 08:24:38 AM »
Orion trucks is a real company? I thought that was one of those joke ads. Next thing you're going to tell me is Ace is a real company.

Are you regular? Ace trucks are fucking better than indies kid.
Olympic athletes have diets and train really hard.
Skateboarders eat candy, talk shit, and drink arizona iced teas.

jacktharipper

• Rep: -26
  • Graphics Out
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2013, 08:39:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
For the bigger companies the cost of a deck isn't much at all, $5 maybe.  And the flow guys are representing the brand to their local scene.  If the company breaks even, sponsoring flow dudes is an investment.
[/b]
I feel like it would be pretty difficult to ensure that a local flow kid is actually the driving force behind a spike in sales. I 100% believe it works, because I've seen so much REAL in my area due to a couple dudes being on flow (one am), but I doubt the company accountants calculate return on investment from sponsoring flow kids. It's just one of those financial decisions that has been an institution in skateboarding and will continue to be. Wouldn't you be a little weary to buy say a REAL board if you heard that they don't ever flow anyone? I think I would be
MN -> IL

Kip Winger

• Rep: 1
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2013, 08:42:20 AM »
Quote from: Microforrest �link=topic=70260.msg1914410#msg1914410 date=1368804278
Expand Quote
Orion trucks is a real company? I thought that was one of those joke ads. Next thing you're going to tell me is Ace is a real company.
[close]

Kid? I'll have you know that I'm old enough to be your father. I probably am your father, and when I get home from the office I'm coming home to spank your butt. You got that, Ace? But really, I skated some Ace trucks on a borrowed board and I wasn't impressed with them. They worked fine and all, but they could have been any blank Chinese trucks.

harderlast

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2013, 10:23:26 AM »
I was going to comment that Black Label and Darkstar probably aren't out of business because they were still getting some Tech Deck money, but I looked it up first to see what companies are still being made into TD's. Needless to say I was shocked to find almost every board brand in this thread on their website. Yes, that includes 1031. Also listed is Shut, ATM, Western Edition, Finesse, and FUCKING HOOK UPS.

http://www.techdeck.com/products/collection

I couldn't believe that Hook Ups was still around, but sure enough their catalog is up to Fall 2012.

http://hookupsskateboards.com/fall-2012/

It's really strange what companies manage to stay around in the skateboard industry and for the most part not in a good way.
I just got a hook ups deck off a web store because they don't have them at my local shop and wouldn't order one for me. I have to say it is one of the best decks I have ever had. I think they are wider than most? It is wider than my last Plan B. I don't think Plan B will stay in business much longer. I have been waiting for there video for 7 months now, if it doesn't come out by the start of school I won't back them any more.

Fenzadill

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
  • lemme get the 4 dollar one
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2013, 10:34:31 AM »
Quote from: Microforrest  link=topic=70260.msg1914410#msg1914410 date=1368804278
Expand Quote
[close]

Haven't you plugged Ace trucks before on Slap? 

example. i cant cast a spelll or love potion on a girl and she falls total in love for me
but i can show a girl my tv youtube clip on my or her phone. but there's a difference ok

Kip Winger

• Rep: 1
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2013, 01:39:40 PM »
Quote from: Microforrest  link=topic=70260.msg1914410#msg1914410 date=1368804278
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Haven't you plugged Ace trucks before on Slap? 

I've never butt plugged anything, you've got me confuse with Brian Anderson, who by the way is way cooler than I'll ever be.

harderlast

« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2013, 01:52:14 PM »
I used ace on my last set up. They were really good for 50-50s and 5-0s but I still prefer Indys

Leaky McBurnside

• Rep: 10
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2013, 05:07:23 PM »
Expand Quote
I was going to comment that Black Label and Darkstar probably aren't out of business because they were still getting some Tech Deck money, but I looked it up first to see what companies are still being made into TD's. Needless to say I was shocked to find almost every board brand in this thread on their website. Yes, that includes 1031. Also listed is Shut, ATM, Western Edition, Finesse, and FUCKING HOOK UPS.

http://www.techdeck.com/products/collection

I couldn't believe that Hook Ups was still around, but sure enough their catalog is up to Fall 2012.

http://hookupsskateboards.com/fall-2012/

It's really strange what companies manage to stay around in the skateboard industry and for the most part not in a good way.
[close]
I just got a hook ups deck off a web store because they don't have them at my local shop and wouldn't order one for me. I have to say it is one of the best decks I have ever had. I think they are wider than most? It is wider than my last Plan B. I don't think Plan B will stay in business much longer. I have been waiting for there video for 7 months now, if it doesn't come out by the start of school I won't back them any more.

Sweet Jesus. Colin and Danny are hustling the team around to spots to finish the video for you right now. KOOK.
PlanB is the best selling brand at Zumiez and CCS.
they aren't going anywhere. What they are doing is getting the hell out of that shit show, Billabong.

The Donger

• Rep: -63
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2013, 07:52:54 PM »
L.E.

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2013, 08:21:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I enjoyed your use of "kid" while trying to not only defend some off brand truck company, but also say that they are better than basically the only truck company anyone real gives a shit about.