Author Topic: XBox One  (Read 7532 times)

Choad Muskrat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: XBox One
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2013, 09:44:29 AM »
as long as my 360 is still running, and BF4 runs I don't see myself even considering anything new for a while

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2013, 10:15:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Microsoft denied rumors that they'll charge you for used/borrowed games, so that's not really a concern.
[close]

but what was their wording? I dont buy it
They posted on the Major Nelson blog about it saying that they will allow resale of used games and won't be blocking it. They haven't released details about it.

The name is fucking stupid too. 720 would have been way better.

They branded the console as XBox One for the reason that it's one source for TV, games, music...etc. That was they're reasoning behind that. They have no cohesive branding, never had it. To be honest I think the best route is to do what Sony is doing. Console 1, Console 2, Console 3...etc. It's just easier to keep track of. Microsoft has always sucked at this by naming things "Windows 2000" or "Office 2007"...as soon as 2008 comes around, your product just feels old based on name. At least they're getting it by naming Windows in numeral versions now.

I think both Xbox 360 and 720 are stupid. Because when you do a 360, guess where you end up? Right back in the same spot where you started. Same with a 720. From a naming perspective, they're dumb. They should've just stolen that kid's idea of XBox Infinity or whatever.

frisco

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2013, 10:31:08 AM »
Yeah PS4 it is for me. They both seemingly have the same amount of horsepower given the 8Gb RAM, but Sonys gonna have all the exclusive games while Xbox focuses on taking over the living room.

The Xbox One has 5Gb of RAM for gaming and 3 for the OS and other "features"

Will Easley

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2013, 10:44:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Yeah PS4 it is for me. They both seemingly have the same amount of horsepower given the 8Gb RAM, but Sonys gonna have all the exclusive games while Xbox focuses on taking over the living room.
[close]

The Xbox One has 5Gb of RAM for gaming and 3 for the OS and other "features"

Damn nevermind that then. PS4's RAM is all unified. Granted they'll have to set aside some of that for the OS & share features, but it's still easier to work with. That was what made shit harder for developers on the ps3 cell processor. Overall it had a little bit more ram but the way it was allocated made it more diffcult to work with than the 360's with certain games ala skyrim & other multiplat games that didnt perform as well on ps3.

frisco

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2013, 11:23:01 AM »

jojo_fosho

• Rep: -2
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2013, 04:15:03 PM »
The fact I can't use anything wired from my 360 is a huge dealbreaker for me. Not only that, but games being tied down to your account is pretty bullshit (if it ends up being true). I can't see why anyone would choose to get this over a PS4, or a PC for that matter.

And is Call of Duty really THAT big of a game, that they have a whole story on it? As much hype and new technology they're pushing for it, we all know it's going to be the same game we've been seeing for the past 8 years. If you guys are really this excited about COD, you should expand your FPS horizons.

landCow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2013, 12:32:23 AM »
And is Call of Duty really THAT big of a game, that they have a whole story on it? As much hype and new technology they're pushing for it, we all know it's going to be the same game we've been seeing for the past 8 years. If you guys are really this excited about COD, you should expand your FPS horizons.

In my opinion COD is boring as all hell. I have never seen the appeal and I get the feeling even fans are becoming tired of it. Halo is pretty dull too...

brianwilson

• Rep: -35
    • Flickr avatar image
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2013, 08:08:23 PM »
The Xbox One will feature an 8-core cpu, 8GB of RAM, Blu Ray, 500GB Hard Drive, WiFi, HDMI, and USB 3.0. All of these specs combined make a pretty solid competitor to that of the PS4. Some things that may throw off buyers though, is that when buying a used game, you must pay a fee to Microsoft to play said game. Another is that the rumors of the next Xbox requiring an internet connection is sort of true. In an article from The Verge, Microsoft stated, "No, it does not have to be always connected, but Xbox One does require a connection to the internet." What this means is that you'll have to connect to the internet at least once a day. If this sounds weird we know, at this time Microsoft is a little cloudy on the subject.

Will Easley

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2013, 08:25:11 PM »
^ Xbox One has 5gb RAM for games with the other 3 being used by the OS. PS4 has 7gb for games & the rest for its OS. they'll still be fairly matched for the most part but after a few years when the devs really start pushing the tech the PS4 will have the edge.

Really microsoft botched their reveal by focusing so little on the actual games, which was the number 1 reason why people were getting worried with all the rumors beforehand. they're not solely focused on the main reason to have a console in the first place. the games they did show were all CGI trailers & mainstream sports games + COD...all things that will already be available on ps4. They claimed to have 15 new exclusives with 8 of them being new IP's, so why not show some of them? why not give people a definitive reason to get a xbox1 over a ps4? granted e3 is weeks away where theyll prolly show alot more stuff, but still, first impressions are important.

sony showed AAA exclusives like infamous second son & the new killzone, as well as showed actual in-game footage, had actual game developers on stage talk about the console & its potential, and made sure everybody knew that the ps4 is made specifically hardcore gamers & game developers. microsoft didn't really do that. They seem to be more focused on the "mainstream" gamer with all their emphasis on sports & entertainment options.

i will say the controller looks good & the new kinect surprisingly seems to have alot of potential if used correctly, and this isn't the end of the world because even the ps3 stumbled pretty badly out of the gate when it first came out, but at the end of the day Sony set the bar pretty damn high with their reveal & microsoft didn't meet it. period.

frisco

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2013, 07:20:22 PM »

landCow

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2013, 08:49:54 PM »

shone237

« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2013, 10:52:44 AM »
I think both ps4 and xbox 1 missed the mark. fanboyism aside they both obviously catered their new systems to outside interest over gamers.

The ps4's press release was mostly about social media integration into your games, or as I see it, how they plan to make facebook money by selling your private information to marketing groups.

The Xbox1's big sales point was television, movie and music integration, or as I see it, how the xbox will convince todays youth they need cable tv by impressing us with waggle support that will never work as promised.

As one of the few suckers that own a kinect, I have zero interest in ever using is again, especially for some fake ass minority report tv controller that will never work as well as it was demonstrated/powerpoint presentation.

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2013, 11:09:57 AM »
whatever i decide on, i'm gonna wait. first gen hardware is always a bit fucked. i have a feeling a lot of peoples minds will change after E3.

Thrillho

• Rep: 133
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2013, 02:43:12 AM »

It is NOT backwards compatible. Say good-bye to all of your 360 games unless you have 2 consoles.

PS4 won't be backwards compatible either.  I give Sony credit though.  They kept allowing people to play their 20 year old games for a while.  It's too much work to emulate the hardware of multiple other consoles just so people can keep playing their old stuff.  I think it's fair to leave the responsibility of maintaining a console to the customer after that ship has sailed.

MuchasGracias

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -140
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2013, 01:41:53 AM »
I really want South Park to do an episode based on the new generation consoles.

Will Easley

« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2013, 07:43:03 PM »
Microsoft has explained its full policies on Xbox One?s internet requirements, used game policies, transfers to friends, Kinect functionality and much more.
(video)
http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/06/06/xbox-one-used-games-always-online-explained

As someone who's actually had both an Xbox & Xbox 360, holy fuck microsoft is blowing it. The way they handle the used games sounds like a bunch of complicated bullshit & the always online seems like a pain in the ass. wow.

You can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console.

Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.

loaning or renting games won?t be available at launch, but we are exploring the possibilities with our partners
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 07:45:11 PM by Will Easley »

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2013, 08:51:14 PM »
this shits being blown out of proportion. sony's gonna end up doing the same thing. the 24 hour check is bullshit too. when was the last time anyone's Xbox wasn't on the internet? I basically only play online and watch Netflix.

frisco

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2013, 01:27:16 AM »

landCow

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2013, 02:55:49 AM »
this shits being blown out of proportion. sony's gonna end up doing the same thing. the 24 hour check is bullshit too. when was the last time anyone's Xbox wasn't on the internet? I basically only play online and watch Netflix.

if the reaction on the internet is anything to go by there are many many people who do not have their 360 connected. not everyone can have an internet connection at all times let alone a 360 connected. what if Xbox live goes down? Or is hacked what happens then? Will everyone be completely screwed?

Me personally I never play online. I download a game here and there but for the most part I am offline.

Remember when consoles were simple? Fuck I might just buy a nes and play Castlevania until the end of time.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 02:58:32 AM by landCow »

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2013, 07:21:23 AM »
Ah fuck I'm not buying that. I haven't had my 360 plugged into the internet for years.

shone237

« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2013, 10:30:00 AM »
as long as my 360 is still running, and BF4 runs I don't see myself even considering anything new for a while

yup

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5EFADE5F1A6F7492

ThugWaffle

• SLAP Pal
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2013, 11:42:51 AM »
I think im going PS4 this next gen. I got an Xbox atm and i love it but Microsoft needs to realize that king of the living room crap sucks.

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2013, 11:53:03 AM »
I still don't get Netflix, just use torrents. I don't use online x box either for the last couple years.it'll all come down to the exclusives like always.

actually for me it comes down to skate 4, that's the only thing that could make me buy a new console in the next few years.but that's a one off personal thing
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2013, 12:10:01 PM »
Well, time to build a gaming PC then. No way I'm spending $400 on this shit when I can get cheaper games with all the perks of having mods and actual developer support for only a couple hundred more.

frisco

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2013, 01:29:51 PM »
Well, time to build a gaming PC then. No way I'm spending $400 on this shit when I can get cheaper games with all the perks of having mods and actual developer support for only a couple hundred more.

The sales Steam has are so ridiculous

MuchasGracias

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2013, 04:15:25 AM »
Ah fuck I'm not buying that. I haven't had my 360 plugged into the internet for years.

Neither have I.

jim

• Rep: -23
  • Guess that's why they call it window pane
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2013, 09:52:05 AM »

dont do it
Does it hurt when you skate?
If no: Go skate
If yes: Go skate

ThugWaffle

• SLAP Pal
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2013, 11:09:50 AM »

dont do it

Throw a towel over the kinect eye.

foureyedjim

« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2013, 11:31:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The sales Steam has are so ridiculous

Owning a nice rig is great.
Also, I may or may not have paid for 80% of the games I've played

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2013, 11:33:36 AM »
The only reason to buy an Xbox One is if all your friends buy and you like to play online games with them. If your friends aren't idiots they won't get the Xbox One and your problem is solved. Personally, I don't give a shit about Battle of Halo fields Call to War 9 and playing online with people is no priority of mine. On top of that PS4 has more exclusives that better fit my taste. Also, I don't understand why Xbox users stand for paying for online service. Shit's a straight up rip off. You guys should make a fuss about that.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?