Author Topic: XBox One  (Read 7529 times)

frisco

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
Re: XBox One
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2013, 12:52:59 PM »
The only reason to buy an Xbox One is if all your friends buy and you like to play online games with them. If your friends aren't idiots they won't get the Xbox One and your problem is solved. Personally, I don't give a shit about Battle of Halo fields Call to War 9 and playing online with people is no priority of mine. On top of that PS4 has more exclusives that better fit my taste. Also, I don't understand why Xbox users stand for paying for online service. Shit's a straight up rip off. You guys should make a fuss about that.

Exactly^ With no backwards compatibility, it comes down to friends, exclusives and the controller.

The Xbox 360 was much cheaper than the PS3, with the Xbox One being retailed at 500$ plus Xbox Live Gold, you're looking at a 600$ console before games, still waiting for PS4 detail, I imagine it'll be around the same, but free online 

I have a 360 and I love the exclusives for it, but there is no way I'd pick the Xbox One over for PS4 for a new Halo and for early DLC

« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 12:58:03 PM by frisco »

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2013, 01:11:50 PM »
i'll get an xbox one, but not for a while. i still have a very capable pc.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2013, 05:10:32 PM »
i'll get an xbox one, but not for a while. i still have a very capable pc.
Why?
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

max power

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2013, 06:35:10 PM »
most people i know ill get xbox's, i pretty much only play games online and i like the xbox controllers a lot more. drm doesn't bother me, i haven't bought a used game in years. i couldn't care less about the ps4's exclusives, anything worth getting will be cross-platform or at least on pc.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2013, 08:11:59 PM »
That's cool. We're like the opposite type of gamers. Most every game I get is used and I trade and borrow with people all the time. I have very little interest in playing online so it doesn't matter what my friends get. I never got used to the Xbox controller after coming off the PS2 and PS4 has most of the exclusives that I care about and/or titles that used to be exclusive are coming to the PS4 (Witcher 3).
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 08:17:18 PM by L33Tg33k »

NegativeCreep

« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2013, 10:01:55 PM »

MuchasGracias

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -140
« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2013, 11:25:54 PM »
Playstation 4
Xbox 1

frisco

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2013, 12:51:56 AM »

papasmurfsdog

« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2013, 01:26:36 AM »
Expand Quote
The only reason to buy an Xbox One is if all your friends buy and you like to play online games with them. If your friends aren't idiots they won't get the Xbox One and your problem is solved. Personally, I don't give a shit about Battle of Halo fields Call to War 9 and playing online with people is no priority of mine. On top of that PS4 has more exclusives that better fit my taste. Also, I don't understand why Xbox users stand for paying for online service. Shit's a straight up rip off. You guys should make a fuss about that.
[close]

Exactly^ With no backwards compatibility, it comes down to friends, exclusives and the controller.

The Xbox 360 was much cheaper than the PS3, with the Xbox One being retailed at 500$ plus Xbox Live Gold, you're looking at a 600$ console before games, still waiting for PS4 detail, I imagine it'll be around the same, but free online 

I have a 360 and I love the exclusives for it, but there is no way I'd pick the Xbox One over for PS4 for a new Halo and for early DLC

But wait, Killer Instinct is free!!!(if you want to play a fighting game as one character and not pay money for the additional characters.......)

slapshakle

• Rep: 17
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2013, 02:20:55 AM »
I think the real problem is the fact that you never actually own the game, you're just kind of renting it from Microsoft until they stop supporting the console. In 10 years time all those games you bought are gone, for me that's a killer. I still have all my games I've bought over the last 20 years and love going back to them from time to time. I don't want to invest heaps of cash into something I won't be able to use in the future.

Will Easley

« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2013, 04:05:11 AM »
Yeah above all else the way they handle the "always online" shit & used games is what's gonna kill em. What happens when the Xbox live servers go down or whatever reason? Stores like GameStop are obviously gonna be more inclined the support the ps4 over the xbox1 as well, with their dependency on used game sales. It would seem Microsoft was trying to appeal to game publishers with their used game policies, but in turn they kinda fucked over the consumers. The ps4 has way less restrictions, $100 cheaper, AND has better hardware specs, so it's really a no brainer. It's gonna be an uphill battle for MS & I think they're gonna have to resort to focusing on the "casual" gamer (ala the Wii) with tons of living room entertainment options, kinect games, and a bunch of other mainstream bullshit if they want to stand a chance at all. It's the most expensive console with the most restrictions & it doesn't even have the best hardware. It's a tough sell to say the least.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2013, 02:16:43 PM »
Why do people get upset about backwards compatability?  You get next to nothing for selling your old systems, might as well keep them and dust them off every couple years or so.

max power

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2013, 02:32:13 PM »
Why do people get upset about backwards compatability?  You get next to nothing for selling your old systems, might as well keep them and dust them off every couple years or so.
yup.

the whole 'microsoft owns the games' shit is stupid. if you've ever bought a game on steam it's the same deal, you don't technically own it. i can't wait until it's all download only. less clutter on my shelf. you know EA and other developers are going to do a form of DRM not far off microsoft's model for the ps4, it will probably just be first party titles that don't. 

either way i'm waiting a couple months for them to get the hardware right. lord knows somethings going to be shitty about both of them at release.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2013, 02:43:21 PM »
Why would they do that?  Do you still get a disc?

Will Easley

« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2013, 03:49:21 PM »
Why would they do that?  Do you still get a disc?

Yeah you get a disk to install & "authenticate" your copy of the game but its all put on the hard drive

shone237

« Reply #75 on: June 14, 2013, 03:53:09 PM »
that steam argument would work if Microsoft had Steam like price points. Instead they want to charge the maximum price while attaching the strictest of DRM restrictions. It's been a long standing joke how Xlive sells full games at almost twice it would cost to purchase the same game from a store new. The exact opposite as Steam.

max power

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #76 on: June 14, 2013, 04:27:27 PM »
the licensing is the same. definitely not the prices. they need to open the market to say amazon for direct downloads on the one for this to really work.

papasmurfsdog

« Reply #77 on: June 14, 2013, 06:41:31 PM »

I wouldn't mind so much if the systems were reliable at all. I have an original PS working like a charm, but have had 2 ps2s completely shit out on me and my brother's Xbox barely got played and stopped working after like half a year.  Also there was that red ring of death with the Xbox 360. I have a NES and SNES that work perfectly though. I feel like neither Sony nor Microsoft build their shit to last anymore.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #78 on: June 14, 2013, 09:27:54 PM »
I have a hacked wii that outlasted my Xbox 360 elite.  My dreamcasts, chipped psone, and ps2 that runs stuff from a harddrive is still working.  I've bought a replacement 360, but if that dies, I think I'll just stick to PC gaming for next gen games.

frisco

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2013, 02:51:59 AM »
I wish my PS2 still worked.

THPS2 THPS3 Battlefront 2, those were the days

Dirty Daventry

• Rep: -25
« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2013, 03:39:07 AM »
I wish my PS2 still worked.

THPS2 THPS3 Battlefront 2, those were the days

Mine still works. I still play it occasionally. Tony Hawks Underground and GTA are the only games i need. Oh, and spyro.
Catch me at the crib getting light to Jeff Mangum
It's fun to do bad things like rhyme about handguns

frisco

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #81 on: June 18, 2013, 08:05:22 PM »
Last one

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 555
« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2013, 01:31:15 PM »
http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/qa

microsoft will get rid of their DRM policies

swagdragon123

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -105
  • I take my internet usernames xtremly serious
    • HOBOHOGAN avatar image
« Reply #83 on: June 19, 2013, 01:38:48 PM »
http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/qa

microsoft will get rid of their DRM policies
this service is unavailable

thugnificent

« Reply #84 on: June 20, 2013, 06:34:35 AM »
the fact that they are flip flopping makes me even less likely to buy an xbox one, shows they have no confidence in their product, they shoulda just stuck to their guns

MuchasGracias

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -140
« Reply #85 on: June 20, 2013, 06:44:29 AM »
All that revolutionary talk for nothing lol

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
« Reply #86 on: June 20, 2013, 08:07:02 AM »
Didn't they claim the entire console was built around the DRM system and absolutely could not be reversed? Now it's reversed? They came out so hard and so confident saying that this was the way of the future, only to flip flop on it a few weeks later? Don Mattrick is just showing that his group doesn't know their consumers and doesn't know what the fuck they're trying to sell. They just want to have a black box out there on a shelf at the same time as Sony.

Will Easley

« Reply #87 on: June 20, 2013, 08:33:18 AM »
the fact that they are flip flopping makes me even less likely to buy an xbox one, shows they have no confidence in their product, they shoulda just stuck to their guns

yeah this is more of Microsoft surrendering to Sony as opposed to them "listening to their consumers". They're still fucked on the price disadvantage and im sure theyve got ALOT of work to do reengineering software/hardware to make such a drastic change only a few months away from launch. Like I said before man there's no way the xbox one can compete with the ps4 as a straight up gaming console, so being the money-hungry company that microsoft is they're gonna have to work that casual market harder than ever. like, on some wii shit. "manage your fantasy sports teams as you flip thru TV channels using kinect as your remote" n shit like that. I wouldnt be surprised if they ended up going that route & selling well, actually.

max power

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #88 on: June 20, 2013, 08:42:47 AM »
i'm kind of pissed about this backtrack. they had a bunch of cool shit you could do sharing wise that you won't be able to do anymore. i don't really want to buy games on discs, so none of that shit mattered to me. hopefully they will re-implement it later on.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #89 on: June 20, 2013, 09:27:47 PM »
One cool thing that they're taking away now is that you didn't have to keep the disc in the tray to play and could play the game on any Xbox you signed into, or at least that's how I understood it. Microsoft is just going out of their way to make sure no one is happy.